Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The royal nonsense.

Suranis

Re: The royal nonsense.

Post by Suranis »

Adding to what Mr Brolin said, you might have heard the Sinn fien or IRA saying theor battle cry is "Tiocfaigh ar La!" which they say means "Our day will come!" Except... it doesn't. Its nonsense. It sort of means "Somebody will take some day." If they were talking actual Gaelic, the proper translation would be "Beigh an Lar Linn!" 'Tiocfaigh ar La' was probably made up by some idiot who didn't actually speach Irish bit had an English Irish dictionary so strung it together.

And yet, no-one is allowed to call these guys complete fools for shouting nonsense. Enda Kenny liked to Humiliate Gerry Adams Sinn Fein Leader and who considers himself an intellectual, by responding to his questions in actual Gaelic and Adams would get really humiliated and angry and scream shit about how it was unfair to take advantage of the fact he couldn't speak it and that he was learning Irish and how it was SOO UNFAIR!!! Yes, Adams used to loudly complain when Kenny did that.

Naturally, the Irish Media didn't like reporting that Adams was actually a total fraud, and not actually that smart.

Adams, by the way, made a speech in Gaelic as his first speech in the Stormont Assembly in Northern Ireland to show off his superiour Irishness. It was when he became a Member of the Irish Parliament (becasue, you know, Sinn Fein all Ireland party blah blah) and people started throwing Gaelic back at him that it came out that he couldn't actually speak a word of the Language.

So ya, its all about image and hypocrisy, as Mr Brolin said. I hate Irish Politics.
Hic sunt dracones
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:52 am That's Bah Bah Wah Wah, to you!
Yes! What a great skit. :lol:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:38 am :snippity:
So ya, its all about image and hypocrisy, as Mr Brolin said. I hate Irish Politics.
Yah, but isn't this all politics and human kind, really? We have a "billionaire" poseur pretending he presidented (by tweet), "ranchers" more familiar with watermelons than steers (but sporting oversized cowboy hats), and drug-addled racists and misogynists and middle-class mama's boys posing as "constitutional patriots." All phony.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

To add to the weirdness, as I am avidly watching the Italy v Wales rugby match, one of the few items that will get ALL the Irish, both sides, all communities, pulling together is this most quintessentially English/British sport.... And as for an England v Ireland match...... :lol:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Mr brolin wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:11 am To add to the weirdness, as I am avidly watching the Italy v Wales rugby match, one of the few items that will get ALL the Irish, both sides, all communities, pulling together is this most quintessentially English/British sport.... And as for an England v Ireland match...... :lol:
Rugby Union or Rugby League?

I never knew there was a difference nor what a big deal rugby was until I worked with a bunch of Brits and Scots on a job in Norway in 2008-9.
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

6 Nations, Rugby Union.......Wales thrashed Italy.

The split between Union and League was at least partially class driven with the move by League players to be professional and paid with Union players "amateur" and unpaid with the great schism running from 1895 until the core of pay being finally killed off in Union in 1995.

For a fast and furious game, Rugby 7's tournaments are great fun and if you can get tickets (and the money) the Hong Kong 7's is enormous fun, just don't expect to sleep much for about 3 days....
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

... their battle cry is "Tiocfaigh ar La!" which they say means "Our day will come!"
Oh, I love that song!

Out from under. :thumbsup:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Mr brolin wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:08 pm 6 Nations, Rugby Union.......Wales thrashed Italy.

The split between Union and League was at least partially class driven with the move by League players to be professional and paid with Union players "amateur" and unpaid with the great schism running from 1895 until the core of pay being finally killed off in Union in 1995.

For a fast and furious game, Rugby 7's tournaments are great fun and if you can get tickets (and the money) the Hong Kong 7's is enormous fun, just don't expect to sleep much for about 3 days....
My son plays and I actually prefer watching him play 7s as its faster and he gets to handle the ball more often.
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

Suranis wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:38 am Adding to what Mr Brolin said, you might have heard the Sinn fien or IRA saying theor battle cry is "Tiocfaigh ar La!" which they say means "Our day will come!" Except... it doesn't. Its nonsense. It sort of means "Somebody will take some day." If they were talking actual Gaelic, the proper translation would be "Beigh an Lar Linn!"
“Tiocfaidh ár lá” actually does mean “Our day will come” - it is the future tense of the irregular verb “tar”

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/tiocfaidh

“Beidh ár lá linn” reads more as “Our day will be with us”

Tá Gaelinn agam ón gcliabhán - I’m a native speaker.

As for Mr.Adams and his ilk, the less said the better.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Mr brolin wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:11 am To add to the weirdness, as I am avidly watching the Italy v Wales rugby match, one of the few items that will get ALL the Irish, both sides, all communities, pulling together is this most quintessentially English/British sport.... And as for an England v Ireland match...... :lol:
"An England v Ireland match with less than three killings is considered a boring affair..." ? :popcorn:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
somerset

Post by somerset »

Mr brolin wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:08 pm 6 Nations, Rugby Union.......Wales thrashed Italy.

:thumbsup:

(Living in Singapore and Shenzhen, the HK 7s are well known)
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Kinda "love" how everyone thinks that the pricier the clothing/lifestyle the less one has to deal with everyday shit. Racism is racism. While Meghan was getting dragged by the tabloids, only Prince Harry defended her - not the in-laws nor her own family, in fact, they piled on and still are piling on. and she is still getting dragged. What the ever-loving?
Imagine the dragging Grace Kelly would have gotten today for marry the Prince of Monaco. oh, wait, she's pink so never mind
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Flatpoint High wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:32 pm Kinda "love" how everyone thinks that the pricier the clothing/lifestyle the less one has to deal with everyday shit. Racism is racism. While Meghan was getting dragged by the tabloids, only Prince Harry defended her - not the in-laws nor her own family, in fact, they piled on and still are piling on. and she is still getting dragged. What the ever-loving?
Imagine the dragging Grace Kelly would have gotten today for marry the Prince of Monaco. oh, wait, she's pink so never mind
No shit! My thoughts exactly. That, along with the thoughts that people with expensive clothing, money and fame would have no reason to be depressed. Think Robin Williams and Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade. The comparisons in the press between Markle and her sister-in-law over things like avocados, baby bump touching and bridal flowers, and the lack of awareness within the Royal Family is disgusting.

Oh, and fuck Piers Morgan.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I'd rather not.
Mr brolin

Post by Mr brolin »

I think it is highly important to put cultural differences around race in perspective.

First off, the UK is NOT the USA when it comes to race.

Does the UK have racist elements.......yes, as does every country I have been to. If you want polite, invisible, Iron cast, inflexible racism, try Japan

Does the UK have the the institutional, endemic legal baggage of racism of the US.....No

The UK, for its flaws never had the slave owning mentality of the South, never wrote a Constitution that explicitly valued the worth of a slave as 3/5ths of a free person, never had Jim Crow laws, does not gerrymander electoral districts based on race and politics of race, never legislated against miscegenation etc.

Was there and are there cultural prejudices...yes although considerably less as times progress, no more boarding houses with signs saying "No Irish, No Blacks, No dogs"....

As example, in WW2, when Indian, African, West Indian etc troops were billeted in the UK and, as is inevitable, mixed race children started arriving on the scene, there was cultural pressure to either adopt the child out or "make it right" through marriage.

When African American servicemen got in the same situation, if these folks were from the southern states in particular, there was no way they could marry and take their brides home due to the laws in place at the state level.

The British as a consequence and quite understandably, do not take kindly to being equated to having the same racial environment and experience as the USA

When Ms Markle first arrived on the scene, as opposed to her version of reality, the press in the UK, universally, were positive, in fact, positively giddy with her joining the Royal family, her heritage, her rather mixed personal life etc.

It was only as time progressed that the tone changed and it wasn't based on race, it was simply people progressively began to not like her, her attitudes, her manner, her manners, the way she was stripping her husband away from all of his friends etc.

When both she and her husband started waving the race card, how hard done by they were, the pontificating and lecturing on matters they had little substance or knowledge about, the virtue waving etc along with progressive attacks on his family that turned the tide.

Again, not because she is if mixed race, simply because people don't like her.

Lets swap it shall we...?

A man takes up with a woman and over the next few years he

Progressively strips away all her friends,
Stops her access to the people who have supported her over the years,
Poisons her against her family,
Convinces her that all the members of her family are against her
That she herself is infected with the racist values of her family
Needs to rid herself of the values they hold
To move as far away as possible from her family and friends
He uses all of her position and influence to enrich himself
That the press, family and unknown others are plotting to destroy this perfect union......

How precisely would you you define this man and the relationship..?
filly

Post by filly »

Wow.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

He's right.

I was saying to a friend yesterday that harry will eventually go crawling back to his Father and Brother who will say We Told You So. And she agreed with me.
Hic sunt dracones
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Mr brolin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:02 am I think it is highly important to put cultural differences around race in perspective.

First off, the UK is NOT the USA when it comes to race.

Does the UK have racist elements.......yes, as does every country I have been to. If you want polite, invisible, Iron cast, inflexible racism, try Japan

Does the UK have the the institutional, endemic legal baggage of racism of the US.....No

The UK, for its flaws never had the slave owning mentality of the South, never wrote a Constitution that explicitly valued the worth of a slave as 3/5ths of a free person, never had Jim Crow laws, does not gerrymander electoral districts based on race and politics of race, never legislated against miscegenation etc.

Was there and are there cultural prejudices...yes although considerably less as times progress, no more boarding houses with signs saying "No Irish, No Blacks, No dogs"....

As example, in WW2, when Indian, African, West Indian etc troops were billeted in the UK and, as is inevitable, mixed race children started arriving on the scene, there was cultural pressure to either adopt the child out or "make it right" through marriage.

When African American servicemen got in the same situation, if these folks were from the southern states in particular, there was no way they could marry and take their brides home due to the laws in place at the state level.

The British as a consequence and quite understandably, do not take kindly to being equated to having the same racial environment and experience as the USA

When Ms Markle first arrived on the scene, as opposed to her version of reality, the press in the UK, universally, were positive, in fact, positively giddy with her joining the Royal family, her heritage, her rather mixed personal life etc.

It was only as time progressed that the tone changed and it wasn't based on race, it was simply people progressively began to not like her, her attitudes, her manner, her manners, the way she was stripping her husband away from all of his friends etc.

When both she and her husband started waving the race card, how hard done by they were, the pontificating and lecturing on matters they had little substance or knowledge about, the virtue waving etc along with progressive attacks on his family that turned the tide.

Again, not because she is if mixed race, simply because people don't like her.

Lets swap it shall we...?

A man takes up with a woman and over the next few years he

Progressively strips away all her friends,
Stops her access to the people who have supported her over the years,
Poisons her against her family,
Convinces her that all the members of her family are against her
That she herself is infected with the racist values of her family
Needs to rid herself of the values they hold
To move as far away as possible from her family and friends
He uses all of her position and influence to enrich himself
That the press, family and unknown others are plotting to destroy this perfect union......

How precisely would you you define this man and the relationship..?
Well, see, you either missed my point, or I wasnt clear enough. I get that the UK press and society there have taken a dislike to their new royal for whatever reason. I am disappointed in the Neanderthal comments here. She should have known better. She had no reason to not expect critisim. She has fancy clothes and all that priviledge. I find all these comments vile and in the same vein as, "What did she expect, getting drunk and wearing a skimpy outfit". I expected better from folks here.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:06 pm
Well, see, you either missed my point, or I wasnt clear enough. I get that the UK press and society there have taken a dislike to their new royal for whatever reason. I am disappointed in the Neanderthal comments here. She should have known better. She had no reason to not expect critisim. She has fancy clothes and all that priviledge. I find all these comments vile and in the same vein as, "What did she expect, getting drunk and wearing a skimpy outfit". I expected better from folks here.
Criticizing Meghan is equivalent to blaming rape victims?
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Blaming her for being a victim because she should have known better? Yes. not comparing her TO a rape victim. Comparing the excuses as to why they are not valid harms, definately. Kind of like George FLoyd died because he had drugs in his system. Its not giving any validity to her experience because she has/had priviledge and money...oh, and expensive clothes.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

What inference were we supposed to make from "What did she expect, getting drunk and wearing a skimpy outfit"?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:49 pm What inference were we supposed to make from "What did she expect, getting drunk and wearing a skimpy outfit"?
I think PG was using that as an example of how Meghan is being criticized.

And she has a valid point.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:49 pm What inference were we supposed to make from "What did she expect, getting drunk and wearing a skimpy outfit"?

The rationale, Bill. Not the act. The rationale for dismissing Markles experiences of racism and that they were dismissed. Like people on food stamps are poor because they dont work hard enough, or should have gone to college. Its a weird reality for some folks if they havent been there or didnt live it. Its a purblind way of thinking in my opinion.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Chilidog wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:53 pm
I think PG was using that as an example of how Meghan is being criticized.

And she has a valid point.
Her explanation escapes me though. I can see she is pained by the comments, but her response was to lash out.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:56 pm

The rationale, Bill. Not the act. The rationale for dismissing Markles experiences of racism and that they were dismissed. Like people on food stamps are poor because they dont work hard enough, or should have gone to college. Its a weird reality for some folks if they havent been there or didnt live it. Its a purblind way of thinking in my opinion.
Okay. My concern with your response is your use of the word vile. You described all criticism of her as vile. I think that is hyperbolic.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”