Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The royal nonsense.

Chilidog

The royal nonsense.

Post by Chilidog »

Not that I really care about Harry and Meghan

But I am so glad to see that supercillious pick Piers Morgan pull an epic face plant.
Estiveo
Verified:

Re: The royal nonsense.

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20210309_080945.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Can’t find any tumbrels on Google :(
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

In the next installment of family feud...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-10/ ... w/13232698

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," the statement read.

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.

"While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members."
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

That Ainsley ditz from Fox & Friends said it she'd had all those gowns, jewels and castles she'd never leave. :bangwall:

Edit. Stupid autocorrect.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:07 pm Can’t find any tumbrels on Google :(
You missed this one....

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... b100f0d65c

A Britains Rainbow pack Tumbrel cart, together with railings and hay bales.

Hammer Price:
Auction Date: 30 Jan 2021 09:00 GMT
Auctioneer: Chippenham Auction Rooms
Lani

Post by Lani »

Hey, something good happened because of the interview - Piers Morgan is off the air!
Presenter Piers Morgan has left UK television’s Good Morning Britain show following a storm over his criticism of Meghan Markle’s mental health revelations.

The TV host stormed off the set of the morning news program on Tuesday (local time) following a heated discussion with his colleague Alex Beresford about Prince Harry and wife Meghan’s bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey.

“Following discussions with ITV, Piers Morgan has decided now is the time to leave Good Morning Britain,” a statement from ITV said on Wednesday.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainmen ... ry-meghan/

I only saw a few minutes of the interview, but that included her speaking out about being suicidal, knowing she had to tell someone, and seeking help. Every time someone speaks up about suicide, lives are saved. Don't like Morgan, do like that he lost his job over this, and sad so many are like him and do harm.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Yes, there is a lot of......erm .....arrant .....BS in the Duchesses extended whine-a-thon.

As an example she tearfully (whilst conspicuously rubbing baby bump) moaned about how nobody was there to help her or provide her assistance with her depression.

And yet her husband, her brother in law and her father in law are all on the record as saying they have received counselling and said support around not dissimilar matters. Are we to believe that none of them, especially her husband would not have pointed her towards the necessary?

Then there is the whole color of the baby statement, something that the Ginger Whinger was suddenly massively coy and dismissive of followed by a sudden statement that the Queen and Prince Phillip were not the ones in the frame.

If there is anyone I could see making a ham fisted comment probably meant as a joke along the lines of skin color and a probable fiery ginger head of hair...it would be Phil the Greek.

"I felt naked without tax payer funded security, it's because I'm not white"..... Actually, so long as she and he were working royals they received EXACTLY the same cover as every other working royal doing the work. They are treated EXACTLY the same as Prince Edward and his family, Fergus etc.

"Oh wow my child isn't automatically a Prince it must be racist". Again arrant BS, Princess Anne's children (who don't get tax payer funded security either) don't have any royal titles.

"Oh noes....I had no idea that marrying into the most written about royal family on the planet came with obligations and expectations....I never looked". Does anyone on this planet actually believe that poor Meghan didn't do EXACTLY what every woman of her age did BEFORE, DURING and AFTER being set up with friends...Google the feck out of him, his background and his family?

Let's face some actual facts, before Meghan met Harry she was and would have remained a C list, minor TV celebrity, most remembered for being on Suits. She would never have been "friends" with Oprah, been lent Tyler Perry's mansion etc if she wasn't married to a Prince

Two feckless, arrogant, self obsessed, self righteous, entitled (and titled) whiners bemoaning their unearned lives of wealth and privilege and how how hard done by they are is not news.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Since we have a resident Irishman, I offer this from the Irish Times:
Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

Beyond this, it’s the stuff of children’s stories. Having a queen as head of state is like having a pirate or a mermaid or Ewok as head of state. What’s the logic? Bees have queens, but the queen bee lays all of the eggs in the hive. The queen of the Britons has laid just four British eggs, and one of those is the sweatless creep Prince Andrew, so it’s hardly deserving of applause.
The whole article is worth a read.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

A video game where you can become a King - Virtual Regality.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I'd have to say that Ms Markle didn't spend a lot of time studying for this part. It's the part of a lifetime, literally. You don't just act it for as long as it takes to film the show or movie, and then go home. She didn't even stick it out long enough to become a citizen of the UK.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Is it just me or does little Archie mostly look exactly like his great grandmother? (The photo is clearer at the link )
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.59.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.59.28 PM.png (152.86 KiB) Viewed 4558 times
https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-ne ... hies-skin/
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

As the Resident Irishman, i was extremely sick of hearing about this inside 12 hours. On the scale of things happening in the world this was so far down the priority list it was scratching satan's back.

The thing about the Irish however is that we have a massive inferiority complex about the brits, and if someone was wearing a saucepan on their foot in London today, tomorrow people will be doing it all over Dublin. We are idiots when it comes to England. So it was all over our press and I was giving it a gigantic "So what? Spoiled Bitch vs duty bound Sultan? Is that the only thing we can talk about??? I know I've been begging you to stop talking about the fucking Virus for over 6 months, but THIS is what drags your attention away from it???"

Personally, I'm sure there's plenty of grey on all side in this. I read in last weeks edition of Private Eye that the queen et all had bee offering Olive brances to the couple for months, and all they wanted was to keep a link open, asking Harry to maintain being ceremonial head of a Military unit. But their olive branches were met with increasingly large demands from Sussex, till the Queen reached the end of her tether and snapped the link. At which point Megan ran to the Press about how MEAN everyone was being to her.

So, ya, not a fan of talking about this story. I really see no reason to take Megan's account as gospel over anyone else's, and I certainly don't see why this has to be the number 1 topic on everyone's tongues.

And for the record I'm pretty neutral on the Royal Family. They don't do any harm and do some good, so whatever.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Uh, that was a bit of a rant. Sorry!
Hic sunt dracones
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Suranis wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:11 pm Uh, that was a bit of a rant. Sorry!
Ehhhh for me I can understand, part of my family is from Ireland, so I know where you're coming from.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
somerset

Post by somerset »

Suranis wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:11 pm Uh, that was a bit of a rant. Sorry!
No need to apologize. I appreciate the perspective :-)
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:57 am Since we have a resident Irishman,
Foggy, make that two
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I’m surprised no one’s commented on the absurdity of Meghan wearing a $4,700.00 Armani dress while Harry wore a scruffy suit, socks that were waaay too short so his bare lower legs were showing (Ugh! Such an ugly look.), and scuffed up shoes. If nothing else, I’d think Meghan would want her husband to be as fashionable as she strives to be, since it cheapens her appearance when he looks like a shlub. :nope:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I hate it when people in $4K dresses tell me how terrible their life is. (sadz)
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I love it when members of a hereditary monarchy talk about discrimination (and apparently ignore possible wrongdoing by one of them). :bored:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I suppose Oprah is the new Barbara Wah Wah?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

That's Bah Bah Wah Wah, to you!
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

To provide some further context around Surani's post, the Irish/English (NOT British....very different thing) thing is very different between the North and Eire (the South) along with very, very tribal internal politics both North and South.

Even the language of place names will identify someone.

If you want to know, at a high level the I individuals socio-political suasion, ask how they call the town of Londonderry

Londonderry
Derry
Free Derry

Orange and Green, are they

A color
A point of national pride
A swear word

July

Is a period of celebration
Is a period of unpleasant noise
Is WTF...

All to often you are your name...

Siobhan, Bernadette, Sean, Seamus
vs
Samantha, Victoria, William, Trevor

Does the school you went to as a child have a saints name, your language taught is Irish, you play hurling.....Catholic
State school, football (soccer) possibly rugby, French or German...Protestant

You're reading the Irish Times....probably Catholic
You're reading the (Belfast) Newsletter....probably a Protestant

The tribalism gets further mixed and matched in the political arena where you have some Catholic Nationalists who feel economically safer under a British government, Protestant Loyalists want a wholly seamless border and are more EU friendly.

Politicians in the South, particularly Sinn Fein who mouth the words of unification yet are terrified by the reality as the actualité of integration would permanently and seriously erode their power base.

The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP... aka the shouty party) are far more ant-abortion, religiously fervent, anti LGBT than mainstream British politics, yet share a number of the policy views with Fianna Fáil, Sinn Fein and Fine Gael, although would never admit it......

The Nationalists understand that separation from the UK would lead to a substantial drop in income due to the substantial amounts of economic support Westminster sends to Northern Ireland so much railing against the horrid British whilst eagerly grasping the largesse and touting it to effectively buy votes

And so in and so forth.....and don't get me started on the militant arms on both sides who whilst going on how they are just there to protect their community from the other side in reality are now simply crime families with hands in everything from extortion, smuggling, drug and people trafficking, fraud etc......
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Thanks Mr B for the concise explanation. I know it's knotted linen and impossible to pluck a single strand much like the story of the ME. These are both tea leaves I don't even attempt to divine.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I am kind of surprised at the vitriol in this thread. But I'll say no more.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”