Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Brexit

Uninformed

Re: Brexit

Post by Uninformed »

There has never been any intention of implementing the checks required to comply with the agreed terms.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:41 am There has never been any intention of implementing the checks required to comply with the agreed terms.
These checks are not the checks to be implemented between England and N.Ireland, the Irish Sea border. These are the minimal WTO mandated checks between any two nation that don't have a trade deal. These checks are about all imports, especially imports from the EU. Without these checks correctly implemented any importer is free to smuggle whatever he wishes. The minimal transport documentation required as per prior EU membership rules could be partially or totally fake. The papers currently are simply handed to the recipient of the goods in the UK who needs to declare them to the tax man (under new rules that's customs officers duty).

Not having these WTO checks in place gives other nations the possibility to sue the UK for breach of WTO rules and unequal handling of imports from their nation compared to the EU.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 am These checks are not the checks to be implemented between England and N.Ireland, the Irish Sea border..
Yup, I misread your post. It is interesting (disturbing) that the UK seems to have made little (any?) progress in putting place any of the border/customs controls required post-Brexit.
MisterC

Post by MisterC »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:05 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:11 am These checks are not the checks to be implemented between England and N.Ireland, the Irish Sea border..
Yup, I misread your post. It is interesting (disturbing) that the UK seems to have made little (any?) progress in putting place any of the border/customs controls required post-Brexit.
It's hardly surprising, given that the current UK government has begun realising that having these things put up is wildly unpopular allround, and flies in face of promises some of the top boys themselves made during the referendum campaign. Much easier to just not bother.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The strange thing is, that setting up those checks ought not to be technically difficult. These checks have been always in place for goods entering the UK at shipping and air ports from third countries. Just that the UK was then acting as EU border agents. I understand of course that the ports along the channel serving the main EU commerce need to be extended, but the UK had five years time.
MisterC

Post by MisterC »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:50 pm
The strange thing is, that setting up those checks ought not to be technically difficult. These checks have been always in place for goods entering the UK at shipping and air ports from third countries. Just that the UK was then acting as EU border agents. I understand of course that the ports along the channel serving the main EU commerce need to be extended, but the UK had five years time.
I know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but no, of course it isn't technically difficult. Politically however, it's a minefield. The rubes who voted for Brexit were told repeatedly, that the UK would be holding all the cards, that the EU needed them more than they needed the EU, etc., and that the UK would continue to reap all the benefits from the EU, without having to suffer any adverse consequences.

One of the most reckless, irresponsible things to come out of the Theresa May premiership, was the triggering of Article 50 before there had been anything remotely resembling a discussion on what the future relationship with the EU should be. May simply gave the Lancaster House speech, with its highly restrictive vision of a future relationship, and then proceeded to negotiate according to that.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall:
‘Metric martyr’: Boris Johnson’s plan to revive imperial measurements
Bid to bring back pounds and ounces is part of a bonfire of EU regulations
THE WEEK STAFF
17 SEP 2021

British shops will once again be allowed to sell products in pounds and ounces after the government announced a review of the ban on using imperial units.

Traders are legally obliged to use metric measurements, such as grams, kilograms, millilitres and litres, when selling packaged or loose goods in England, Scotland and Wales.

However, in a policy paper released yesterday entitled “Brexit opportunities”, the Cabinet Office said that it plans to “review the EU ban on markings and sales in imperial units and legislate in due course”.

David Frost, minister of state at the Cabinet Office, said: “Overbearing regulations were often conceived and agreed in Brussels with little consideration of the UK national interest. We now have the opportunity to do things differently.”

Regulations introduced in 1994 requiring goods to be weighed in metric units have “long been a flashpoint for anti-EU campaigners”, said i news. And during the 2019 general election campaign, Boris Johnson pledged that he would bring imperial units back to shops, heralding “an era of generosity and tolerance towards traditional measurements”.

The issue was also raised in 2001 when a “greengrocer from Sunderland arguably did more than any politician to set Britain on the path towards Brexit” after he was convicted for breaking “EU rules banning the sale of fruit and vegetables in pounds and ounces”, The Times said.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/uk-news/ ... asurements
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Johnson’s claim Dutch PM offered to mediate in Brexit row not true, say sources
Insiders reject inference of division among EU members on Northern Ireland issue

Daniel Boffey in Brussels and Heather Stewart in New York
Mon 20 Sep 2021 14.47 BST

Boris Johnson has walked into a diplomatic row with one of the UK’s closest allies after claiming the prime minister of the Netherlands had been seeking to “mediate” between Brussels and London over the post-Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland.

Speaking to reporters on a plane to New York for a meeting of the UN general assembly, the prime minister suggested the Dutch government was looking to act as a mediator between the European Commission and London on the differences that have arisen in recent months.

“I talked to Mark Rutte [the Dutch PM] the other night, who wanted to come and see if he could mediate on the issue and I said, you know, we really want to make progress,” Johnson had said. “We seek a solution, but it has to be one that allows the free movement of goods between all parts of our country.”

Dutch diplomatic sources expressed surprise at the prime minister’s comments, insisting that Rutte had instead specifically urged Johnson to be pragmatic in his dealings with the European Commission.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ay-sources
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Marks & Spencer to close more than half its stores in France due to Brexit supply problems
By Alasdair Sandford with AFP • Updated: 16/09/2021

The British retail chain Marks and Spencer has announced it is to close 11 stores in France "in the coming months", more than half of its 20 sites in the country, due to supply problems related to Brexit.

M&S said that its partnership with SFH, one of its two partners in France, would cease, resulting in the closure of 11 franchise stores by the end of the year, most of them in Paris.

Its nine stores situated in airports and stations, run with its other partner, Lagardere Travel Retail, will remain open.

Post-Brexit rules have hit UK exporters to the EU in particular, especially those sending fresh produce, due to new bureaucracy and controls in force since the start of the year. In contrast, the UK has delayed again introducing checks going the other way on imports from the EU into the UK.

"M&S has a long history of serving customers in France and this is not a decision we or our partner SFH have taken lightly," said the group's international director Paul Friston, in a statement.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/09/16/mar ... y-problems
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

'The art in Spain stays mainly off the plane': grim Brexit news from the art buying frontline
I've learned the new political lessons about art shipping the hard way—so you don't have to

BENDOR GROSVENOR
20th September 2021 11:58 BST

Even for for parsimonious art buyers like me, new Brexit rules mean paying at least 10% of a painting’s value just to have the right to move it between two countries Photo: Russell Watkins/Department for International Development
We are almost a year into full-fat Brexit, and I have grim news from the art buying frontline. I appreciate that in the great scheme of things, a former art dealer’s struggles to import cheap old paintings into the UK are insignificant beside empty supermarket shelves and Nandos running out of chicken. But I feel compelled by my recent art shipping disasters to warn fellow collectors and dealers to avoid my mistakes. I’ve learned the hard way so you don’t have to.

First, with admittedly a degree of Remain nostalgia, let’s remember how it used to work. I could buy a painting in, say, Spain, and have it collected, packed and delivered via a courier like Fedex to my home in Scotland within a week. There were no customs checks, and no export or import duties. It was as challenging as a Jeff Koons multiple.

Now, however, a painting I bought in Spain in April is still at Barcelona airport. It turns out that Spanish customs levy a special export duty on antique cultural goods leaving the EU. The duty starts at 5% for paintings worth up to €6,000, and ramps up to 30% for anything above €600,000. There is no time limit for how long a work has to have been in Spain to qualify for the levy (in my case, a portrait by the British artist Allan Ramsay only imported into Spain in the 1990s). And Spanish customs are scrupulous when it comes to making sure all the paperwork is in order. The art in Spain, it seems, stays mainly off the plane.

If and when the painting makes it to the UK, an import duty of 5% will then apply. Even for parsimonious art buyers like me, this means paying at least 10% of a painting’s value just to have the right to move it between two countries. But if you try and ship your art as I do, via firms like Fedex, you’ll be charged—at least at first—the higher standard rate of UK import duty of 20%. For while antiques and art qualify for a reduced import duty of 5%, most couriers don’t have their systems set up to invoice for anything other than the standard 20% rate. In fact, UPS now says it won’t ship antiques at all. So remember to make time, probably a day in all, to patiently explain to over-worked call centre staff the mysteries of UK tariff codes (for paintings, 9701100000 is the one you want).

The UK customs check will add up to a week to your shipment—and perhaps worse. When the tracking information went mysteriously quiet for a painting I bought in Portugal, I received a cheery email from Fedex informing me that after customs checks at Stansted Airport “it appears the goods have been lost”. Fedex began a search but after a week I began to fear it had been stolen; after all, everything coming in from the EU now has to have its value declared. In desperation I took to Twitter to circulate a photo of the painting, a 17th-century portrait of a lady attributed to John Michael Wright. Two days later, the picture arrived.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/comment ... fun-begins
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Transcript from one of "my" vloggers
UK was never prepared for Brexit Industry leaders claimed

23 Sept 2021

It is the UK government's “unreadiness” that is the source of further delays to Brexit customs procedure implementation, while associations, brokers, forwarders, ports, and retailers are “ready”.

Last week the UK government announced that it would further delay the implementation of export health certificates, phytosanitary (SPS) certificates, and safety and security declarations for goods imported from the EU, raising criticism from across the industry.

While some welcomed the news, others said delays simply “heaped” more uncertainty on an industry that has twice worked to subsequently delayed deadlines.

One customs broker also said “The real problem seems to be that it is the government that remains in this state of unreadiness. We are seeing this across the Brexit process. CDS was supposed to have been implemented years ago, but again it’s delayed.

Under the new timetable, pre-notification of SPS goods will be introduced in January instead of next month,

In a statement, minister of state for the Cabinet Office, David Frost said: “Businesses will now have more time to prepare for these controls which will be phased in throughout 2022.

However, is it really the industry that needed this delay, again suggesting it was the government’s “haphazard” approach to planning that left it ill-prepared.

The government not properly preparing was also costing the taxpayer, with Border Force staff, that had been trained in Dover for the initial July 2021 deadline, “let go” when that deadline came and went.

Compounding this was concerns over the quality of the training that had been put on by the government.. One broker complained that the recruits “knew next to nothing. They had been trained to check weights and values only, with no idea of tariff classification or the rule of origins, so, as a result, they will only have to recruit and train again.”
► Show Spoiler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

another Boris Johnson :doh: :brickwallsmall: :cantlook:
UK could seek to join US-Mexico-Canada trade pact as Boris Johnson ‘gives up’ on deal with Joe Biden
Joe Biden has indicated he is not interested in pursuing new bilateral deals, but the UK could seek to join a pre-existing trade pact with Canada and Mexico

By Hugo Gye Political Editor
September 21, 2021 10:00 pm(Updated September 22, 2021 9:01 am)

The UK is considering applying to join the US-Mexico-Canada trade deal after Boris Johnson conceded that a bilateral agreement with Washington will not happen before the next general election.

Tying up with the three North American powers could be an alternative to working out a bespoke US-UK free-trade agreement, the Government believes.

Joe Biden has indicated he is not interested in pursuing new bilateral deals, unlike Donald Trump. But expanding existing agreements may prove less politically controversial.

Asked during his trip to the US whether a transatlantic deal would be done by 2024, Mr Johnson said: “We’re going to keep going for free-trade deals as fast as we can.”

He added: “We’re doing major exports with free-trade deals, including in the United States and I have plenty of reason to be optimistic about that, but I just, you know that these, the Americans do negotiate very hard. What I want for our country is a great free-trade deal. I won’t settle for anything less.”

Appearing with US vice president Kamala Harris on Tuesday, Mr Johnson said there had been “real progress” on trade, welcoming the end of a “strange ban” on imports of British beef.

A senior Government figure said that if bilateral talks with the US fail to come to fruition, the UK would continue to explore other options including becoming the fourth member of USMCA. They added: “There are a variety of different ways to do this. The question is whether the US administration is ready. The ball is in the US’s court.”

Britain currently has more comprehensive trading arrangements with Canada and Mexico than with the US, a point that UK officials have stressed in meetings with their American counterparts.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/uk-se ... en-1211275
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

no petrol for your car? Take a healthy walk...
UK petrol stations warn over fuel shortages due to lack of HGV driver
BP is forced to shut some stations and Esso says deliveries to some Tesco forecourts are affected

Richard Partington and Joanna Partridge
Thu 23 Sep 2021 19.58 BST

Three of the UK’s biggest operators of petrol stations have warned of fuel shortages at some forecourts across the country, with the severe lack of lorry drivers nationwide now disrupting fuel supplies.

BP said yesterday that up to 100 of its forecourts were short of at least one grade of fuel, with several forced to close entirely due to problems with supplies.

Esso said that a handful of its petrol stations operated alongside Tesco Express stores were affected, while some of the supermarket chain’s own-branded sites are also suffering outages.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-stations
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Panic in the country of Sovereign
Motorists urged not to panic buy fuel; ‘ten days’ to save Christmas – business live
Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news

2m ago
14:58
Long queues for petrol in Harlow
In Harlow, there are long queues of cars outside petrol stations, with many customers apparently panic buying, my colleague Luke Harding reports.

The city centre is badly clogged with traffic.

And there are no taxis available from Harlow railway station because – I was told by Metro, the resident cab firm – of the worsening “fuel crisis”.

The jams are having a knock-on effect. Some patients travelling to the local Princess Alexandra Hospital were late for appointments, with others facing long waits for
transport home.
9m ago
14:52
Anglo-Dutch oil group Shell has said it was seeing increased demand for fuel at some of its petrol stations, and is changing delivery schedules in response.

A spokesperson said (via Reuters):

“We are seeing an increased demand today for fuel at some of our stations, which may in some instances result in larger queues.

We are adapting our delivery schedules to ensure sufficient supplies for our customers.”
17m ago
14:43
Back on the fuel situation, BP says it is prioritising deliveries of fuel to British sites with the largest demand and seeking to minimise the amount of time when its petrol and diesel pumps are empty.

The oil company explained:

“We continue to work with our haulier supplier to minimise any future disruption and to ensure efficient and effective deliveries to serve our customers.

We are prioritising deliveries to sites with largest demand and seeking to minimise the duration of stock outs.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iness-live
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Boris Johnson folds like a wet cloth
FT: Boris Johnson agrees to relax visa rules for foreign truck drivers
In a sign that ‘moving heaven and earth’ could be happening, the Financial Times is reporting that Boris Johnson has given the go-ahead to ministers to relax UK immigration rules to allow more foreign truck drivers into the country.

The move is intended to ease shortages at petrol stations and wider economic disruption (and is something which retailers have been urging for several weeks now).

The FT says:
One person close to the situation said the prime minister had issued instructions to fix the escalating problem. “Boris wants this solved,” he said.

Meanwhile an ally of Johnson said: “Boris is completely fed up with bad headlines on this and wants it sorted and doesn’t care about visa limits any more.”

Home secretary Priti Patel was previously the strongest opponent of giving temporary visas to foreign HGV drivers, arguing it would lead to a stampede of different industries demanding similar preferential treatment.

But with fears of panic buying at petrol stations, Patel has dropped her resistance and now agrees with transport secretary Grant Shapps that the proposal is worth pursuing, government insiders said.
https:// twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1441386473794588679
Jim Pickard @PickardJE
new splash on @ft website:

Boris Johnson has given the go-ahead to ministers to relax UK immigration rules to allow more foreign truck drivers into the country to ease shortages at petrol stations and wider economic disruption.
Boris Johnson agrees to relax visa rules for foreign truck drivers
Prime minister said to have lost patience with bad press about fuel shortages and economic disruption
ft.com
2:58 PM · Sep 24, 2021
► Show Spoiler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Comment: I wonder what the conditions will be for the admittance of these temproary HGV drivers. The general conditions for EU workers to receive a work visa and return are steep, like upfront payments in the range of $3500+, healthcare insurance to be self paid, and a ream of paperwork by both employer and potential employee.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

As has been pointed out by several commentators, attempting to reverse the pretty obvious effects of removing many foreign workers from the UK is not like turning a switch back on. Oh so inept. Like the DFO, Boris has filled his administration with like-minded ideologues and yes-men who have few if any principles and scant abilities beyond self-advancement.
tek

Post by tek »

Of course, the problem is not the actual shortages.

It is the bad press about the shortages.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. My timeline estimate as follows. The government needs all of October until they get their side of the adminsitration prepared and the embassies informed. It's not clear today who will be allowed to recruit drivers under this excemption scheme, all companies or do they first need to get a permit? So it will be November until companies can go and search for candidates. Even if fast tracked the first visas will hardly be granted before December. The trickle of returning drivers will not be making an impact on the deliveries during the holiday season anymore.

Of course one of the Brexit losses in the transport sector remains, all those self-employed and company EU based drivers that made deliveries under the cabotage rules, bringing along additional vehicles, a scarce resource in the UK.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Brexit the big win for the UK
Post-Brexit UK Food Industry Is £2bn Worse Off After 'Disastrous' Fall In EU Sales
Adam Payne
02 September

Exclusive: New figures show a sharp fall in food and drink sales to the European Union in the first half of this year has led to the industry being £2bn down on pre-pandemic levels, with post-Brexit trade barriers believed to be the principal cause.

According to a comprehensive analysis of trade during the first six months of 2021 by the Food & Drink Federation (FDF), shared exclusively with PoliticsHome, food and drink exports to the EU were 15.9% down on the same period last year, and down by over a quarter — 27.4% — compared to the first half of 2019.

Labour has said the figures "blow apart" the government's "myth" that trade disruption is a temporary issues as the UK and EU adjust to the new rules.

The UK formally left the EU on 31 January 2020, with most changes to trade arrangements coming into effect on 1 January 2021 following a transition period.

Meat and dairy products have been the worst hit, the FDF analysis found, due largely to stringent post-Brexit rules for British businesses selling goods of animal origin to customers in the bloc.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/artic ... ion-report
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Boris Johnson asked for ‘emergency’ food deal, says Bolsonaro
No 10 denies Brazilian president’s claim but some speculate food item is turkeys for Christmas

Aubrey Allegretti and Tom Phillips
Fri 24 Sep 2021 14.09 BST

The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has claimed Boris Johnson asked him for an “emergency” deal to ease shortages of an unspecified food product, amid concerns about further disruption to supermarket supplies.

A lack of drivers and food pickers, as well as carbon dioxide used to stun animals for slaughter and create dry ice to keep food fresh, has led to fears that some goods will be missing from shelves in the run-up to Christmas.

:snippity:

Bolsonaro made the claim about Johnson’s request after a meeting between them in New York earlier this week at the UN general assembly. The prime minister had stressed the benefits of the Covid-19 vaccine to his Brazilian counterpart.

During his weekly live broadcast on social media on Thursday night, Bolsonaro said: “[One] thing I talked to Boris Johnson about was that he wants an emergency deal with us to import some kind of produce of ours, of which there are shortages in England.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/s ... -president
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confuzzled: i wonder how Boris did think the Brazilian producers could suddenly breed tens of thousands of critters in less than two months (without hormones!), slaughter them and have them shipped to the UK before Christmas. Where the containers would be stuck in the ports cause no lorry drivers available to pick up the birdies.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

UK brewery boss slams Brexit as he’s left beerless in France
“During the whole Brexit campaign we were promised seamless trade with the EU, but it’s not happened and it’s being cloaked behind Covid excuses, and once we get over this hole of Covid problems, people will see Brexit as being a huge problem," the UK brewery boss told TLE.

by Andra Maciuca 2021-09-24 13:45

A UK brewery director expressed his frustration at Brexit after fans in Europe turned up to events in France only to find that his beer had been blocked in a British port.

David Stone, director Wylam Brewery, said his firm managed to get through the pandemic due to his EU customers, but warned there are multiple issues hidden behind “Covid excuses”.

He said his beers should have been enjoyed in France at an event last night, but they were stuck in Grimsby.

‘Frustrating’

“We were supposed to have an event last night in Paris,” he told The London Economic, adding: “I was there, but the beer wasn’t.

“I have come to Paris to meet people and have beer, and people came and couldn’t have any of the beer, it’s frustrating.”

And he said the same situation is set to be repeated tonight, when his brewery is meant to attend an event in Nantes. “We are going to drink beer from Berlin but not from Newcastle.

“It’s a big festival and we promised to be there and our fans will come and they won’t be able to drink the beer.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... ce-292045/
tek

Post by tek »

Brexit:
cluster.jpg
cluster.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Seriously, this is all so screwed up it is hard to believe that Trump wasn't involved.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”