Please Report Good Things Here

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Congrats, Bonsall Bible Flagg!! Both the ten years and the 4.5 months!! Hard to do, but once done...ZOMG, so much better.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Saturday, a little over four months after the accident, my son came home from the hospital. Through yard sales, Goodwill and good will, I had the house mostly furnished and up and running. A huge, huge thank you to everyone here who sent me public and private good wishes, prayers and donations. Mostly...knowing that people I do not personally know were thinking of us made these past months a bit more bearable, like I have a big extended family. And that is a good thing. Thank you.

My new place is a duplex in a slightly rundown lower middle class neighborhood. And I have to tell you that I love it. Old timey people who walk up the driveway with a newspaper and jelly jar of ice tea to welcome us' or the neighbor who let me know I could use her washer until I found one, and the other neighbor who said if I needed to run errands she would sit with my son. And the neighbor around the corner who helped Mista find his way back. Good folks.

A family who recently lost their loved one donated a hospital bed (the ordinary bed doesn't cut it) and wound care supplies...enough for several months. This is a monumental time when I have finally been able to grasp the situation and realize that sometimes, probably more often than not, neighbors, friends and strangers are family.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I've lived among the rich and I've lived among the poor. On the whole, poor people are far more kind and generous and willing to share what little they have.

But how is your son doing? And how are your daughter-in-law and grandson doing?
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

What I was feeling Fog. We couch surfed for months with a friend who lives I a very nice condo development. Never got more than a nod from folks there. I am very happy here, plus the rent is in my budget.

My son can transfer from bed to wheelchair with my help now. He still has open wounds which I spent several sessions at the hospital learning how to change dressings, etc. His body is slowly healing...the emotional thing will take much longer. My daughter-in-law comes once a week with the grandson to visit. She works and keeps the grandson busy with Scouts and martial arts. He is pretty cool on the outside but seems freaked out and confused about what has happened to his dad. I think once Nick is able to sit in the wheelchair for a longer period of time and we can get him outside, and when we can find an accessible vehicle to take him places, the grandson will feel less uneasy.

So, this being the good things thread...the process is moving forward with Big Nick, as opposed to without him and it is a good thing.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Ummm, you know what WOULD be a good thing? If someone could explain to me how to find emoticons and other formatting features using an iPad.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Umm, I don't know how to do that, and not having an iPad, I can't practice or figure anything out.

Yes, it's better to have Nick alive than not to have him. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

I've lived among the rich and I've lived among the poor. On the whole, poor people are far more kind and generous and willing to share what little they have.

But how is your son doing? And how are your daughter-in-law and grandson doing?

I've found that to be true as well. I've also found out over the last couple of months that there are a lot of really nice people in the world. It's easy to watch the circus in Washington and the news about all the rotten things happening in the world and get cynical about people. But you know, people by and large don't suck. ;)

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Yes Magdalen...good folks all around. I am finding those who are busiest and have less resources seem to be more generous with their time and resources. Lady on the other side of the duplex brought over some Easter collard greens and cornbread on Sunday. Best I EVAH ate!

The most difficult thing for me has been asking for and receiving help. I have always been more comfortable on the giving end.

Are you are set up and doing well now?

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

Yes Magdalen...good folks all around. I am finding those who are busiest and have less resources seem to be more generous with their time and resources. Lady on the other side of the duplex brought over some Easter collard greens and cornbread on Sunday. Best I EVAH ate!

The most difficult thing for me has been asking for and receiving help. I have always been more comfortable on the giving end.

Are you are set up and doing well now?

Yes, surprisingly well. But I have to stop buying clothes. Not that I have too much, yet. The problem is that everytime I go on Amazon or get an email from one of my favorite clothing companies, I think, "Oh, yeah, I don't have that. And yay it's on sale!!" Then I buy it.

Fortinbras

Re: Please Report Good Things Here

Post by Fortinbras »

I much appreciate the email telling me my new password.

One tiny thing, the message said my "password to The Forum" .... I belong to some other websites that also like to call themselves "The Forum", so maybe your email should expressly mention Fogbow.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

I think that the e-mails were auto generated by the phpBB people, not Foggy. Also, any active member of this forum has been waiting for that e-mail for a day and a half, so I doubt there was any confusion except, perhaps, amongst lapsed members.
Image Image Image Image Image

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

This was a one time deal and you will never get another email unless you have to reset your password for some reason. The email was from a guy named Foggy so I figured it out.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

It is so nice to have a forum that is responsive once again. :P

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

There seems to be a Lock on the Bad News thread.

In (IIRC) Mike Dunford's Bar Review thread, to which I just added a message .... (1) There is a long message of what may have been URL links that gradually expands second-by-second so that the end of the thread keeps creeping beyond view. (2) somewhere on the last page everything turns into italic type - and the italic won't turn off. (3) I tried to edit my message at the end of that thread and instead of editing it the system treated the edited version as a new message so there are repeats that I cannot delete or erase - please delete them for me.

My avatar from the old board (it was an image of the Wandering Jew) seems to have vanished.
I cannot seem to find the option for Latest postings, or last 12 hours of positings, or whatever it was from the previous board and I miss it.

Treblig

Post by Treblig »

Love this new format Foggy ! :D

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Fortinbras wrote:There seems to be a Lock on the Bad News thread.
Foggy locked it because he is busy getting the basic functions restored that we had before. There are a number of extensions to this software that I am sure he will install in due time. There is no use adding a bunch of requests that might be addressed anyway.
In (IIRC) Mike Dunford's Bar Review thread, to which I just added a message .... (1) There is a long message of what may have been URL links that gradually expands second-by-second so that the end of the thread keeps creeping beyond view. (2) somewhere on the last page everything turns into italic type - and the italic won't turn off. (3) I tried to edit my message at the end of that thread and instead of editing it the system treated the edited version as a new message so there are repeats that I cannot delete or erase - please delete them for me.
I can't help you there. Did you try just clicking on the "x" to delete them? There are problems on topics with attachments. Foggy is aware of the problem,
My avatar from the old board (it was an image of the Wandering Jew) seems to have vanished.
The avatars didn't carry over. You will have to go to your profile and upload an image of your choice.
I cannot seem to find the option for Latest postings, or last 12 hours of positings, or whatever it was from the previous board and I miss it.
Click on "Quick links" at the top left under the banner and select "Active topics". That's the equivalent to the New Content on IPS Board. The little arrow in the circle to the right of every post will take you back to the top of the page. On each topic click on the orange rectangle to the left of the title to go to the first unread message. If there is no orange rectangle you have already read all the messages in that topic.

Edited to fix typos and stuff.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I also notice, on Monday night, July 27th, 10 pm EDT, that recent postings are already bearing the date of Tuesday, July 28th. Considering that we're almost all in the USA, can we please have it change the date only at a USA midnite?

vic

Post by vic »

Fortinbras wrote:I also notice, on Monday night, July 27th, 10 pm EDT, that recent postings are already bearing the date of Tuesday, July 28th. Considering that we're almost all in the USA, can we please have it change the date only at a USA midnite?
This has been covered elsewhere.

This board lets you specify your timezone in the user control panel. I don't remember offhand, but I think that if you don't, it uses UTC (basically what used to be called Greenwich Mean Time). You need to go to your user control panel and correct it.

Near the top right of the page is your user name and a down-pointing triangle. Click there, and a dropdown will appear. Click on User Control Panel.

A page with a number of tabs will appear. Click on the one labeled "Board preferences"

You can then select your timezone

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:-

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot »

MY MIND IS BLOWN
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

:evilmonkey: I've been usurped!!

No ... wait a minute ... no, I unusurped myself! :banana:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I reslurped you.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Yeah? Try it now. :boxing:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Last week, I started having trouble with slowness on TFB. I found a Norton upgrade appeared to be causing the problem. It's all good now.

I can't imagine what it would have been like with the old version.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Northland10 wrote:I can't imagine what it would have been like with the old version.
I can ....
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”