Trimming quotes

Reality Check

Trimming quotes

Post by Reality Check »

This is a tip that most of the old timers already know so indulge me:There are two ways to quote if you only want to quote line or two of a long post:[*:32z8q0ef]You can use the "QUOTE" button on the post then delete all the stuff you do not want to quote. This works but it is easy to goof up on long posts with embedded quotes. You can accidentally delete one of the "]" things too and have open quotes.[*:32z8q0ef]Another way is to select what you want to quote, copy it, hit reply then use the little quote thing on the tool bar. Then add the ="Foggy" after the first "quote (inside the bracket) if you are quoting our illustrious leader for example. You can do this for external quotes also.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

ducktape

Trimming quotes

Post by ducktape »

This is a tip that most of the old timers already know so indulge me:

There are two ways to quote if you only want to quote line or two of a long post:

[*:37i5uzhd]You can use the "QUOTE" button on the post then delete all the stuff you do not want to quote. This works but it is easy to goof up on long posts with embedded quotes. You can accidentally delete one of the "]" things too and have open quotes.

[*:37i5uzhd]Another way is to select what you want to quote, copy it, hit reply then use the little quote thing on the tool bar. Then add the ="Foggy" after the first "quote (inside the bracket) if you are quoting our illustrious leader for example. You can do this for external quotes also.
And an additional suggestion, especially when you're editing your quotes: Preview is your friend (and ours) and will let you see if you have a broken quote, tyops, etc., before you post it to the board.

Reality Check

Trimming quotes

Post by Reality Check »

Good point. Also, you don't need to quote if you are replying to the previous post either. ;)

Slarti the White

Trimming quotes

Post by Slarti the White »

This is a tip that most of the old timers already know so indulge me:There are two ways to quote if you only want to quote line or two of a long post:[*:2brqg3yy]You can use the "QUOTE" button on the post then delete all the stuff you do not want to quote. This works but it is easy to goof up on long posts with embedded quotes. You can accidentally delete one of the "]" things too and have open quotes.[*:2brqg3yy]Another way is to select what you want to quote, copy it, hit reply then use the little quote thing on the tool bar. Then add the ="Foggy" after the first "quote (inside the bracket) if you are quoting our illustrious leader for example. You can do this for external quotes also.
There is a third way to selectively quote things: In the topic review window (below the editor window), scroll to the comment you want and highlight the portion you wish to quote and press the "QUOTE" button in the upper right corner of the comment.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Reality Check

Trimming quotes

Post by Reality Check »

There is a third way....Thanks! I didn't know that one.

SueDB

Trimming quotes

Post by SueDB »

8-) Magnifico! I didn't know about that one either. THAT one is really handy since I would rather cherry pick than republish, but sometimes the post is so far back in the pack that you have to repeat something to allow folks to know what is going on. I could put a link to the old post, but I would rather have the info in front of the reader rather than rely on someone's research/computer skills. 8-) Thank Ya!
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

listeme

Trimming quotes

Post by listeme »

I'm trying, really I am!

I wonder if anyone has any good ideas for how to trim quotes when posting from mobile devices. My current method is to quote "all" and then the next morning, if I remember, I will double check to make sure I shouldn't edit out the extraneous stuff (when on my regular computer). Frankly, it's tough for me to to do much selecting and cutting when using the ipad and I can't manage it at all from the iphone. I know some folks seem to manage it just fine. Maybe there are tips people could share?

I might have mentioned that I'm not terribly techy.

Maybe I should just hand the ipad to verbie when I'm done composing the post and have him trim it if necessary. But I guess that only helps people who have verbies.

I don't mind posting without quoting either, although sometimes it's not clear what the post is responding to in that case.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it's not ALWAYS a trivial thing to do.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Sequoia32

Trimming quotes

Post by Sequoia32 »

I don't get what you mean, Listeme. I can highlight and cut out extraneous stuff as well as paste into a reply at Fogbow on my iPad. :-?
Edit: thpellink
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

listeme

Trimming quotes

Post by listeme »

I was afraid of that.User error as usual :((
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

verbalobe

Trimming quotes

Post by verbalobe »

I would add that I don't really know the iPad (as far as these functions are concerned) but the Kindle Fire (Amazon Silk browser) is AWFUL.

- If the quoted material (or even one's own original post) exceeds the depth of the form entry area, there is no way to scroll WITHIN the form entry area. (Not terrible for the forum in the long run, because it forces me to keep my posts short. But damned awkward.)

- The interface for selecting (highlighting) text selectively is VERY awkward. It has two little triangle thingies that you're supposed to be able to drag around to denote the start and end of your selection, but:

[*:iprcn6cy]It's inconsistent in how to invoke those to begin with

[*:iprcn6cy]accidentally touching the screen anywhere makes them reset or disappear

[*:iprcn6cy]positioning them just so is difficult, because when you pick up your fingertip, they often move over a character or two

[*:iprcn6cy]once you do have what you want selected, performing an action on it (cutting, deleting, applying a style, etc.) involves manipulating either the soft keyboard or the screen, and is very likely to abandon your selection in the process. I maintain it's just badly designed, and hope it is improved in an OS or firmware update.

As a complete workaround, what I sometimes do is hit Quote All, Select All, Cut or Copy, then switch over to the word processor. The word processor has the same issues with selecting text, but at least I can see and manipulate all of a longer post. Once I have composed what I want, I then Select All again, Copy or Cut, go back to the browser, Paste, and Preview/Submit.

RTH10260

Trimming quotes

Post by RTH10260 »

I wonder if anyone has any good ideas for how to trim quotes when posting from mobile devices. My current method is to quote "all" and then the next morning, if I remember, I will double check to make sure I shouldn't edit out the extraneous stuff (when on my regular computer). Frankly, it's tough for me to to do much selecting and cutting when using the ipad and I can't manage it at all from the iphone. I know some folks seem to manage it just fine. Maybe there are tips people could share?I just can say that the editor on my Galaxy Tab10.1, Android Honeycomb, does not work well together with the phpBB editor. Selecting and cutting is near to impossible. The best I can usually get to is placing the marker near into the end of some text and delete back from that point. A reason why I don't comment on anything but short posts where I can keep the whole original quote and don't need any highlighting either. YMMV.

verbalobe

Trimming quotes

Post by verbalobe »

^^^^ yes. RTH said it much better and shorter than I did :oops:

Mikedunford

Trimming quotes

Post by Mikedunford »

I don't get what you mean, Listeme. I can highlight and cut out extraneous stuff as well as paste into a replay at Fogbow on my iPad. :-?I can with my iPad, and when I'm writing a short response to a long post I try to, but it's a royal pain in the ass and I don't always remember to do it. (I didn't in the thread that probably led to this one. :oops: )

In terms of the "how", I usually tap-and-hold somewhere in the middle of the bit I'm going to delete. When the little magnifying glass thingy pops up, I let go and tap "select". I then drag the little dots in either direction until I've selected the stuff to get rid of. Then I backspace on the on-screen keyboard. If it's a long block and scrolling is acting funky, I'll sometimes break the process down into two or three blocks.

So, yeah, it's not impossible in iOS, but it's not exactly the most user-friendly process on the planet.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Plutodog

Trimming quotes

Post by Plutodog »

I gots similar issues with my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII that Verbie's talking about. And RTH too, also. :((
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

SueDB

Trimming quotes

Post by SueDB »

Verizon Droid Charge here....My fingers are too large at the end to get anything done. Not that have fat fingers, it is from typing on a manual starting in 1968, then Selectric (love), then computer keyboards - most were cheap. :-({|=
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Somerset

Trimming quotes

Post by Somerset »

I'm trying, really I am!

I wonder if anyone has any good ideas for how to trim quotes when posting from mobile devices.The bottom line is that there is no easy way (at least at the moment) to reply from a mobile device with a selection of text quoted.

It seems like it might be a feature we start seeing in some of the discussion board software in the not too distant future. Highlight pertinent text in a post, then press the "Reply With Selected Text Quoted" button (hopefully with a less wordy name) and, voila, automatically trimmed quote.

In the meantime, I either have to work harder to post from the iPad, or get lazy and fire up the laptop (like now).

BoomerSooner17

Re: Trimming quotes

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

First of all, I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but I am a fairly new member and I have encountered an issue regarding the formatting of quotes in older posts. In an effort to get caught up on some of the sovcits whom the Fogbow has covered but whom Quatloos has not, I have been reading some of the older threads, such as "Cindy Currier Deeply Disturbs Me". I have noticed that in older posts, especially before and up to 2015, quotes from previous posts simply appear as part of the block of text of the post. This makes it very difficult to follow the conversation in the thread, especially when several quotes are nested inside each other in a wall of text. The newer posts, however, do not seem to have this problem. Is this simply the result of an update to the site, or does it have something to do with the browser? (I'm using Safari v.11.0.3)

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

It's the result of site updates over the years. It's a pain in the ass when you're trying to read old threads, but much much less of a pain in the ass than it would be for our benevolent Dick Tater to fix it.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

BoomerSooner17

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

A big part of the problem occurred because of the desire to keep older posts following an unsatisfactory migration to other software. We went back to what we have now, with costs such as these. I take this as a lesson.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Questions & Suggestions”