Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Deep Fakes

Volkonski
Verified:

Deep Fakes

Post by Volkonski »

Designed to Deceive: Do These People Look Real to You?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... faces.html
There are now businesses that sell fake people. On the website Generated.Photos, you can buy a “unique, worry-free” fake person for $2.99, or 1,000 people for $1,000. If you just need a couple of fake people — for characters in a video game, or to make your company website appear more diverse — you can get their photos for free on ThisPersonDoesNotExist.com. Adjust their likeness as needed; make them old or young or the ethnicity of your choosing. If you want your fake person animated, a company called Rosebud.AI can do that and can even make them talk.

These simulated people are starting to show up around the internet, used as masks by real people with nefarious intent: spies who don an attractive face in an effort to infiltrate the intelligence community; right-wing propagandists who hide behind fake profiles, photo and all; online harassers who troll their targets with a friendly visage.

Snip-

The creation of these types of fake images only became possible in recent years thanks to a new type of artificial intelligence called a generative adversarial network. In essence, you feed a computer program a bunch of photos of real people. It studies them and tries to come up with its own photos of people, while another part of the system tries to detect which of those photos are fake.

The back-and-forth makes the end product ever more indistinguishable from the real thing. The portraits in this story were created by The Times using GAN software that was made publicly available by the computer graphics company Nvidia.
From ThisPersonDoesNotExist.com. Looks rather convincing to me. :?

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Deep Fakes

Post by Luke »

Albert Einstein, Ancient Egypt's lost Queen Nefertiti... Ed Hale?
'Spooky' AI tool brings dead relatives' photos to life
Friday, 26 February 2021 15:51 GMT
Deep Nostalgia a tool by genealogy firm MyHeritage turns still photos into lively videos, adding to global debate around deepfake technologies
By Umberto Bacchi

Feb 26 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Like the animated paintings that adorn the walls of Harry Potter's school, a new online tool promises to bring portraits of dead relatives to life, stirring debate about the use of technology to impersonate people. Genealogy company MyHeritage launched its "Deep Nostalgia" feature earlier this week, allowing users to turn stills into short videos showing the person in the photograph smiling, winking and nodding. "Seeing our beloved ancestors' faces come to life ... lets us imagine how they might have been in reality, and provides a profound new way of connecting to our family history," MyHeritage founder Gilad Japhet said in a statement.

Developed with Israeli computer vision firm D-ID, Deep Nostalgia uses deep learning algorithms to animate images with facial expressions that were based on those of MyHeritage employees. Some of the company's users took to Twitter on Friday to share the animated images of their deceased relatives, as well as moving depictions of historical figures, including Albert Einstein and Ancient Egypt's lost Queen Nefertiti. "Takes my breath away. This is my grandfather who died when I was eight. @MyHeritage brought him back to life. Absolutely crazy," wrote Twitter user Jenny Hawran.

While most expressed amazement, others described the feature as "spooky" and said it raised ethical questions. "The photos are enough. The dead have no say in this," tweeted user Erica Cervini. From chatbots to virtual reality, the tool is the latest innovation seeking to bring the dead to life through technology. Last year U.S. rapper Kanye West famously gifted his wife Kim Kardashian a hologram of her late father congratulating her on her birthday and on marrying "the most, most, most, most, most genius man in the whole world".

'ANIMATING THE PAST'
The trend has opened up all sorts of ethical and legal questions, particularly around consent and the opportunity to blur reality by recreating a virtual doppelganger of the living. Elaine Kasket a psychology professor at the University of Wolverhampton in Britain who authored a book on the "digital afterlife", said that while Deep Nostalgia was not necessarily "problematic", it sat "at the top of a slippery slope". "When people start overwriting history or sort of animating the past ... You wonder where that ends up," she said. MyHeritage acknowledges on its website that the technology can be "a bit uncanny" and its use "controversial", but said steps have been taken to prevent abuses. "The Deep Nostalgia feature includes hard-coded animations that are intentionally without any speech and therefore cannot be used to fake any content or deliver any message," MyHeritage public relations director Rafi Mendelsohn said in a statement.

Yet, images alone can convey meaning, said Faheem Hussain, a clinical assistant professor at Arizona State University's School for the Future of Innovation in Society. "Imagine somebody took a picture of the Last Supper and Judas is now winking at Mary Magdalene - what kind of implications that can have," Hussain told the Thomson Reuters Foundation by phone. Similarly, Artificial Intelligence (AI) animations could be use to make someone appear as though they were doing things they might not be happy about, such as rolling their eyes or smiling at a funeral, he added. Mendelsohn of MyHeritage said using photos of a living person without their consent was a breach of the company's terms and conditions, adding that videos were clearly marked with AI symbols to differentiate them from authentic recordings. "It is our ethical responsibility to mark such synthetic videos clearly and differentiate them from real videos," he said.
https://news.trust.org/item/20210226144936-jxdi4

Have been concerned about these for a while; was early but it's starting to happen. AOL's Steve Case always said, "It happens slower than you expect, then quicker than you expect". Worked with him and over the years, it's proven to be true.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Whoa-meme.jpg
Whoa-meme.jpg (28.82 KiB) Viewed 4434 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It occurs to me that those animations of old photos of cities could be colorized and used as establishing shots for movies set in the past instead of matte paintings.

Looking forward entire movies could be created that look real without any human actors at all.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Unreal Engine have just released 'metahumans'.
These are INSANE!

A brand new level of fidelity. Mind. Blown.

https://unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/a-s ... -made-easy
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Creepy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

DeepfakeTomCruise on Tik Tok has gotten millions of views, CNN package about it:

No, Tom Cruise isn't on TikTok. It's a deepfake
A series of deepfake videos of Tom Cruise is confusing millions of TikTok users. See the convincing videos and learn how this technology could be used to spread misinformation.

It looks real, wild stuff.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Pennsylvania cheer squad mom allegedly cyberbullied minors with deepfakes, officials say
Raffaela Spone is accused of using deepfake images and videos to bully several of her daughter's cheer squad teammates, according to Bucks County prosecutors.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pe ... y-n1261055
In charging documents, the Hilltown Township Police Department allege that Raffaela Spone, 50, harassed several of the staff and members of the Victory Vipers cheer squad in Doylestown.

After the first victim came forward alleging cyber harassment, several others came forward too, police said, and at least one victim received a message encouraging suicide.

Spone allegedly created digitally manipulated images and videos — known as deepfakes — that falsely showed her daughter's teammates drinking, vaping, and posing nude, all activities that would get them kicked off the squad.

Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub told NBC News on Sunday that the use of deepfake images was "one of the more disturbing aspects of this case, because it would seem to me this technology is available to anyone."
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:49 am Pennsylvania cheer squad mom allegedly cyberbullied minors with deepfakes, officials say
Raffaela Spone is accused of using deepfake images and videos to bully several of her daughter's cheer squad teammates, according to Bucks County prosecutors.

In charging documents, the Hilltown Township Police Department allege that Raffaela Spone, 50, harassed several of the staff and members of the Victory Vipers cheer squad in Doylestown.

After the first victim came forward alleging cyber harassment, several others came forward too, police said, and at least one victim received a message encouraging suicide.

Spone allegedly created digitally manipulated images and videos — known as deepfakes — that falsely showed her daughter's teammates drinking, vaping, and posing nude, all activities that would get them kicked off the squad.

Bucks County District Attorney Matt Weintraub told NBC News on Sunday that the use of deepfake images was "one of the more disturbing aspects of this case, because it would seem to me this technology is available to anyone."
What is it with some parents, and Bucks County?
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:38 pm
Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:49 am Pennsylvania cheer squad mom allegedly cyberbullied minors with deepfakes, officials say

Or cheerleader moms.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Or cheerleader moms.
I was thinking about saying that but was not sure how to word it, not wanting it to be taken wrongly.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Someone here said he had lived there, and it was a strange mix of people. It's on the other end of the state, so I don't know that much about it. I've always thought of it as an expensive enclave outside of Philly, but that's apparently not totally true.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Cheer squad mom Rafaella Spone does not look very cheery in her mug shot.
Estiveoshot_20210313_102529.jpg
Image Image Image Image
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Oh, man... that face says "I have dead puppies in my freezer." :shock:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

More like "I have dead Puppies in your freezer."
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Luke

Post by Luke »

Wow.

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

It seems this might be itself a fake. Reading further in the responses, it looks like no one has been able to find the "Convert Skeleton" program she claims she used. One person tried to do a reverse image search for their logo, which she shows in the video, and found a skull and cowboy hat vector (whatever that is - I'm not a big graphics person but not the logo. There are also a number of people saying that the guy is actually her boyfriend.

ETA: I just tried to go to deeplotion.com which is a site she says she uploaded it to, and the URL doesn't lead to anything.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Deep Fakes

Post by raison de arizona »

Shayan Sardarizadeh @Shayan86 wrote: This AI-generated video, circulating on Russian Telegram, claims to show a France 24 broadcast in which a presenter announces President Macron has cancelled a scheduled visit to Ukraine over fears of an assassination attempt.

France 24 never aired this, it's totally fake.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Deep Fakes

Post by Slim Cognito »

This stuff scares the crap out of me.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Science”