Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Book Banning

Volkonski
Verified:

Book Banning

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Book Banning

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

based on

I request the Christian Bible removed with all those sexual references... :twisted:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Hrm. Would school/public libraries have all that many bibles?

The problem with trying to turn this tactic around is that the people who want the ability to ban books, in general, don't read much in the first place.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:01 pm based on

I request the Christian Bible removed with all those sexual references... :twisted:
Huh. Wouldn't any book with traditional gender roles, such as heroes rescuing princesses, count as sex based classification?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

As this doesn’t require a reason..

Just a “belief” and certainly not a “reasonable belief”.
)only requirement is that the requester is a “reasonable parent” - good luck using that as grounds to refuse)

Get the list of all books etc held by all the libraries and demand that all need to be removed.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I mean, IA(certainly)NAL, but the way I would see such a protest use of the law going down -- i.e., demanding the removal of the bible or whatever -- would be that the district would refuse to designate an employee to do the removal, thus protecting anyone from being fired. Then the fines would kick in and the school district would defend itself in court. The demand while not technically reviewable once made does not hold the district at gunpoint; a court still has to award the damages, and that's where the effective review would come in.

Or, for the lawyers out there, how wrong am I?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dozens of books written by Black authors are being pulled from school libraries under the pretext that they’re teaching critical race theory. Most of the books don’t teach critical race theory but are written by and about people of color.
:snippity:
Critical Race Theory
At least nine states in mostly Republican areas have passed bills barring educators from teaching about racism in the classroom, and many parents and school boards in these states are doubling down on removing books that tell the stories of LGBTQ people and communities of color from local and school libraries.

Nora Pelizzari, the director of communications for the National Coalition Against Censorship, an organization advocating against censorship on all media platforms, said the challenges are “damaging to all stakeholders.” Pelizzari said educators are forced to either comply or face consequences for protesting it, while students are deprived of narratives that reflect their real lives.

“When the vast majority of stories being censored and being called things like ‘dangerous’ tell the stories of historically marginalized communities, that directly reflects on students,” Pelizzari said. “That their own stories and their own lives aren’t fit for consumption, either.”
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/boo ... _nn_tw_blk
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Ridgeland Mayor Demands LGBTQ+ Book Purge, Threatens Library Funding

Ridgeland Mayor Gene McGee is withholding $110,000 of funding from the Madison County Library System allegedly on the basis of his personal religious beliefs, with library officials stating that he has demanded that the system initiate a purge of LGBTQ+ books before his office releases the money.

Tonja Johnson, executive director for the Madison County Library System, told the Mississippi Free Press in an afternoon interview that she first reached out to Mayor McGee after failing to receive the City of Ridgeland’s first quarterly payment of 2022.

Johnson said the mayor informed her that no payment was forthcoming. “He explained his opposition to what he called ‘homosexual materials’ in the library, that it went against his Christian beliefs, and that he would not release the money as the long as the materials were there,” the library director said.

The director then explained to the mayor that the library system, as a public entity, was not a religious institution. “I explained that we are a public library and we serve the entire community. I told him our collection reflects the diversity of our community,” Johnson said.

Apparently, the mayor was unmoved. “He told me that the library can serve whoever we wanted, but that he only serves the great Lord above,” she finished.
https://www.mississippifreepress.org/20 ... y-funding/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I suspect that one's headed for court, eh? I would hope that even in Mississippi, the courts still recognize the 1st Amendment and separation of church and state...
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess the ACLU will have a busy summer this year.
raison de arizona

MCMINN COUNTY BANS “MAUS”, PULITZER PRIZE-WINNING HOLOCAUST BOOK
JUSTIN KANEW JANUARY 26, 2022
Continuing the recent spate of conservative book-banning initiatives, The Mcminn County School board just voted to ban the Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel “MAUS” by Art Spiegelman from all of its schools, citing the inclusion of words like “God Damn” and “naked pictures” (illustrations) of women.

There is no video available of the meeting, but here are the MINUTES in their entirety.

We called the board and asked if the book being about the Holocaust had anything to do with the decision, and were told it did not. Still, the climate of conservative censorship, the passage of history-whitewashing laws that threaten fines to teachers who teach the truth, and the push towards the banning of books across the state by groups like “Moms for Liberty” makes it fair to question the timing.

The Vote was 10-0, :snippity:
http://tnholler.com/2022/01/mcminn-coun ... aust-book/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

How long until the thread title can be changed to Book Burning?
Lani

Post by Lani »

In 6th grade, my son's class read Night by Elie Wiesel. It's horrific, of course. Fictionalized by the author, who survived a work camp. But no family members survived. As my son reached close to finishing the book, he couldn't go on. He asked me to read it to him, which I did. I thought the teacher should have waited until 7th or 8th grade. But maybe not. I read Anne Frank's diary when I was younger. I knew 2 concentration camp survivors and their children. When I was older, I met coworkers who were very young when they were shipped to the US before their families were rounded up and murdered. And yes, that correlates with racism in the US against people of color as well.

These books are like a vaccination to avoid becoming, or stop being, a bigot. No wonder certain people don't want their kids to be vaccinated informed.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Conservatives trying to cancel culture. I'm sooooooo shocked.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Texas high school (looks like a middle school to me, perhaps mislabeled) begins removing boxes of books.

The books being removed:
► Show Spoiler
The rationalization, calling critics "gaslighters" and generally being unpleasant:
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

Captain Awkward @CAwkward wrote: My 6th grade teacher assigned “Night” by Elie Wiesel. Some parents complained about “appropriateness.” Mrs. Gussky stared down the whole PTA. “The author was 12 when these things happened to him. Such things happen to 12-year-olds every day.”

“I hope these things never happen to your children. If they do, their ignorance will not save them, whereas knowledge might prevent them from growing up to do harm to others.”

“I am going to teach the book.”
raison de arizona

► Show Spoiler
Peter Manseau @plmanseau wrote: Trump won 80% of the vote in the county that banned Maus for bad words. Just so we're clear on their commitment to propriety.

There's a time and a place for objectionable language and we just think words we heard every day from the president we loved should not be read in history class.

Sure, I'd bring my kids to a Trump rally and we'd all laugh because he says whatever he wants but I'll be damned if I let them see a cartoon mouse swear in a book about the murder of six million people.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

This culture war is getting noticed outside of the US too. IMHO this will not be seen as a great progress in democracy. How will the US want to educate rogue nations to behave better :confuzzled:
raison de arizona

Laura Ingraham sees this differently. Wouldn't mind seeing a clip of her rationale.

This is apparently the story: https://www.king5.com/video/news/educat ... 56b89b4810
To Kill A Mockingbird getting kicked off the required reading list due to racial sensitivities.
raison de arizona

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I can’t speak for the elementary to middle school me, but the high school me would have taken every opportunity to find and read banned books.
raison de arizona

FUN FACT: Kids who read Maus don’t grow into adults who constantly compare minor inconveniences to the Holocaust.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:22 pm I can’t speak for the elementary to middle school me, but the high school me would have taken every opportunity to find and read banned books.
There’ve been tweets about teens forming book clubs for that purpose.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:thumbsup:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”