Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

USA v. Barrack, Grimes, etc.

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
filly

Re: USA v. Barrack, Grimes, etc.

Post by filly »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm Will someone of authority accompany him back to NY so his plane doesn't take a detour?
I heard that one of the conditions of his bail is that he fly commercial only. I guess he could hijack the plane or something, but short of that it should prevent him from leaving the country. I'd feel better if a US Marshal was on that plane with him. We can't afford any "mistakes."
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Cousin Jacob seems peeved:
Screenshot 2021-07-23_16-20-20-271.png
Screenshot 2021-07-23_16-20-20-271.png (171.68 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

And of course, he wasn't charged with a FARA violation.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/do ... h-a-catch/

:snippity:
The monitoring regime will be imposed at Barrack’s own expense. Specifically the court ordered GPS monitoring with a bracelet to be outfitted by the government. The defendant will also have to observe a curfew and remain home-bound as directed by pretrial services.

Perhaps the most case-specific prohibition here is that Barrack is barred from transferring any funds overseas. He also is not allowed to engage in any domestic financial transfer in excess of $50,000–except for normal and proper attorney’s fees–without the prior and written consent of the government
. :snippity:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:14 pm Will someone of authority accompany him back to NY so his plane doesn't take a detour?
He's not allowed to use a private jet, he has to ply with the demons and peasants.

Which begs the question, if I'm a $75K a year pilot on Endeavor airlines operating as Delta, what do I do if they Flight Attendant brings me a note for the guy in 1C who says he'll give me $100,000,000 to fly to Guatemala instead of JFK?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I fail to see how doing anything short of locking him up will keep Barrack in the U.S. If he anticipates that he's going to prison, my bet is that he will use any means necessary to flee the country. Can't use his own jet? What? They're going to fine him for doing that once he's safely flown to the UAE?
bbflatt

Post by bbflatt »

Gregg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:17 pm
He's not allowed to use a private jet, he has to ply with the demons and peasants.

Which begs the question, if I'm a $75K a year pilot on Endeavor airlines operating as Delta, what do I do if they Flight Attendant brings me a note for the guy in 1C who says he'll give me $100,000,000 to fly to Guatemala instead of JFK?
I'd ask for cash in advance.
somerset

Post by somerset »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm I fail to see how doing anything short of locking him up will keep Barrack in the U.S. If he anticipates that he's going to prison, my bet is that he will use any means necessary to flee the country. Can't use his own jet? What? They're going to fine him for doing that once he's safely flown to the UAE?
GG is the right person to ask, but I wonder if owning your own jet is really as good an escape route as it seems to be? Assuming the plane is being monitored, I'd think that turning off the plane's transponder or significantly deviating from a filed flight plan would raise an alarm. I'd also think there are ways of persuading a pilot to turn back and land.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Or he gives trump the $$ to fix his 747?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

somerset wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:51 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:30 pm I fail to see how doing anything short of locking him up will keep Barrack in the U.S. If he anticipates that he's going to prison, my bet is that he will use any means necessary to flee the country. Can't use his own jet? What? They're going to fine him for doing that once he's safely flown to the UAE?
GG is the right person to ask, but I wonder if owning your own jet is really as good an escape route as it seems to be? Assuming the plane is being monitored, I'd think that turning off the plane's transponder or significantly deviating from a filed flight plan would raise an alarm. I'd also think there are ways of persuading a pilot to turn back and land.
Short of shooting the plain down?
(And that requires the relevant Airforce aircraft being in range - and who would give such an order (other than trump/Putin/etc))

Surveillance and on ground interception is the best chance of stopping him leaving the country.

But so what if he flees?
He is tried in absentia
His actions won’t endear him to the jury.
The Government will move to seize his assets and put a bounty on him that will make his life more restricted and costly - and spring board against his associates.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 pm
But so what if he flees?
He is tried in absentia
His actions won’t endear him to the jury.
The Government will move to seize his assets and put a bounty on him that will make his life more restricted and costly - and spring board against his associates.
Not in the US, unless he flees after trial has already started.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

I live and I learn..
tek

Post by tek »

bbflatt wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:43 pm
Gregg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:17 pm

I'd ask for cash in advance.
And then walk with the cash without doing the deed.

goose, gander, etc
bbflatt

Post by bbflatt »

precisely
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:25 pm
somerset wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:51 pm I'd also think there are ways of persuading a pilot to turn back and land.
Short of shooting the plain down?
(And that requires the relevant Airforce aircraft being in range - and who would give such an order (other than trump/Putin/etc))
I suspect it's hard to overstate the reluctance of the military to shoot down a civilian plane that is not a serious terrorism threat.

OTOH, a pilot who did such a thing would be in a heck of a lot of trouble.

"Why would she care if she could vanish with her money?"
:fingerwag:

First of all, she would be cheated out of the money; that's one of the oldest tricks in the book.

But even if she wasn't, and her nest egg wasn't stolen on the way to her initial hide out, it takes years of preparation, plus good measures of savvy and luck, to ensconce oneself in life-long comfort outside of the reach of U.S. law enforcement. You need a network of trustworthy bankers, lawyers, and specialized services of all kinds. Especially hard when you're pursued by what used to be called on the Scots Borders "a hot trod."

The odds are against you.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

tek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 pm And then walk with the cash without doing the deed.

goose, gander, etc
Ah, well, that's a proposition worth considering. :thumbsup:
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I'm not super worried about him fleeing given these conditions. What people here need to understand is that Barrack is going to be under round-the-clock surveillance. Contra Jacob Wohl, Barrack is not charged with a FARA violation, he's charged with a much more serious violation of 18 USC 951, or being an active agent of a foreign government. Spies are charged under that statute. He's going to have babysitters everywhere he goes to make sure he doesn't 1) make contact with a foreign handler or 2) attempt to flee the jurisdiction. If he goes near a private jet, he's going to have friends very quickly.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Make him take Amtrak. Lock him in a roomette for the trip. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:24 am Make him take Amtrak. Lock him in a roomette for the trip. ;)
Make him travel coach.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 am Make him travel coach.
He hasn’t been convicted yet!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:05 am
Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 am Make him travel coach.
He hasn’t been convicted yet!
:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 am
Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:24 am Make him take Amtrak. Lock him in a roomette for the trip. ;)
Make him travel coach.
Amtrak coach is much nicer that Airline coach

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... achcar.jpg

Make him sit with the unwashed masses in United's "Economy" :twisted:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 am I'm not super worried about him fleeing given these conditions. What people here need to understand is that Barrack is going to be under round-the-clock surveillance.
While I don't dispute your general point, I haven't seen any reports in the press about surveillance as part of the bail conditions, and certainly nothing comparable to the house arrest with private guards to which defendants like Madoff and Marc Drier were subject.

Or are you just saying that the U.S. Marshalls and the FBI will be following him around?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

chancery wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:18 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 am I'm not super worried about him fleeing given these conditions. What people here need to understand is that Barrack is going to be under round-the-clock surveillance.
While I don't dispute your general point, I haven't seen any reports in the press about surveillance as part of the bail conditions, and certainly nothing comparable to the house arrest with private guards to which defendants like Madoff and Marc Drier were subject.

Or are you just saying that the U.S. Marshalls and the FBI will be following him around?
The Marshals or the FBI will be following him. Not as a condition of bond, but as an investigative measure.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:17 am I'm not super worried about him fleeing given these conditions. What people here need to understand is that Barrack is going to be under round-the-clock surveillance. Contra Jacob Wohl, Barrack is not charged with a FARA violation, he's charged with a much more serious violation of 18 USC 951, or being an active agent of a foreign government. Spies are charged under that statute. He's going to have babysitters everywhere he goes to make sure he doesn't 1) make contact with a foreign handler or 2) attempt to flee the jurisdiction. If he goes near a private jet, he's going to have friends very quickly.
^^^This, if for no other reason than nobody wants to be the AUSA who let Barrack escape. If there aren't 10 guys assigned to watch him full time, I'd be shocked.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”