Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

January 6 Select Committee

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Re: January 6 Commission

Post by fierceredpanda »

Kindly tell us with specificity, JT8, what you would do to make this committee less of a “farce.” Or is your idea that they shouldn’t bother looking into January 6 at all?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

IIRC "contempt of Congress" needs to be voted on by the House. Then enforcement would go to DOJ. Hopefully Merrick Garland will play ball. I should think the minds at the DOJ could come up with criminal contempt charges. That might get the attention of this miscreants.
somerset

Post by somerset »

filly wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 pm IIRC "contempt of Congress" needs to be voted on by the House. Then enforcement would go to DOJ. Hopefully Merrick Garland will play ball. I should think the minds at the DOJ could come up with criminal contempt charges. That might get the attention of this miscreants.
This helps to answer FRP's question to JT8. Turning the question around a little bit, I would ask - What is the desired outcome to this exercise?

I think the best outcome would be the OSG dying in prison. That's almost certainly not going to happen, so what are some acceptable alternatives? For me, anything that dismantles the OSG's political machine and keeps him from ever holding office again would be OK. Punishing others around the OSG who enabled this insurrection would be good too. It's not a certainty that this commission can achieve either of these goals, but I don't think the commission is a farce if it tries.

JT8 is welcome to chime in and disagree :biggrin:
filly

Post by filly »

somerset wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:58 pm
filly wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 pm IIRC "contempt of Congress" needs to be voted on by the House. Then enforcement would go to DOJ. Hopefully Merrick Garland will play ball. I should think the minds at the DOJ could come up with criminal contempt charges. That might get the attention of this miscreants.
This helps to answer FRP's question to JT8. Turning the question around a little bit, I would ask - What is the desired outcome to this exercise?

I think the best outcome would be the OSG dying in prison. That's almost certainly not going to happen, so what are some acceptable alternatives? For me, anything that dismantles the OSG's political machine and keeps him from ever holding office again would be OK. Punishing others around the OSG who enabled this insurrection would be good too. It's not a certainty that this commission can achieve either of these goals, but I don't think the commission is a farce if it tries.

JT8 is welcome to chime in and disagree :biggrin:
Well, I think it's important for Congress to have enforceable subpoenas. The best possible outcome from that is not likely to be OSG in prison but will have people not thumb their noses at Congressional subpoenas. The public has a right to know what happened here and compelling testimony from wrongdoers is a step in that direction. While they would be tempted to lie, the Committee is obtaining documentary evidence from other sources. And we all know that lying to Congress is a prosecutable criminal offense.

Second, I would like to see the DOJ impanel a Grand Jury and haul these MFers in front of it. That would be a more direct way to obtain their testimony but it would take a long time, if ever, to become public. There is no doubt in my mind that multiple federal felonies were committed by these traitors. And, for the life of me, I can't understand why this is not happening (it could be that we just don't know about it).
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Oh where oh where has the D. O. J. gone,
Oh where, oh where can it be?
With its fuse so short and its arm so long,
OH where, oh where can it be?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:44 am Kindly tell us with specificity, JT8, what you would do to make this committee less of a “farce.” Or is your idea that they shouldn’t bother looking into January 6 at all?
Anything at all.

Section 3.
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 pm Oh where oh where has the D. O. J. gone,
:yeahthat: x999,999,999,999,999,999,999
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RVInit wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:24 am
p0rtia wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 pm Oh where oh where has the D. O. J. gone,
:yeahthat: x999,999,999,999,999,999,999
Was doom-watching MSNBC yesterday, and some minor ass-hat said, in a superior, micro-abusive tone, that "It's time for people to accept the fact that the DOJ wasn't going to do anything about TFG." Wanted to smack them.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:mrgreen:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slightly OT, but I turned into Fox to see if they're covering Trump's rally. Not, but Life, Liberty and Levin had Kash Patel on while they bashed Gen. Milley. Didn't hear Levin asking Patel about his subpoena from the Jan 6 committee. :shrug:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Jan. 6 select committee has begun to solicit testimony from rioters, issuing requests for some defendants who've already pleaded guilty to voluntarily provide an account of their decision to travel to D.C. and join the Trump mob.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I am not familiar with this reporter, so grain of salt and all.

New: Two sources tell me now that Jan. 6 committee has identified shortlist of witnesses who are likely to be subpoenaed TODAY — and more than the four in number issued to top Trump WH aides last week.
:waiting:
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:12 pm I am not familiar with this reporter, so grain of salt and all.

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1 ... 6732048392
New: Two sources tell me now that Jan. 6 committee has identified shortlist of witnesses who are likely to be subpoenaed TODAY — and more than the four in number issued to top Trump WH aides last week.
I've found him to be reliable FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:26 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:12 pm I am not familiar with this reporter, so grain of salt and all.

Can't wait... :popcorn:
raison de arizona

Imma drop this here for the Liz Cheney fan club.

P.S. Matt Gaetz get lost!
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:28 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Can't wait... :popcorn:

Moar: https://www.npr.org/2021/09/29/10416709 ... capitol-at
House Panel Subpoenas The Organizers Behind A Rally That Preceded The Capitol Attack

Not Amy Kremer! :yikes: :thumbsup:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:bar:

I'm just home from commuting and grocery pickup. Ready to celebrate.
raison de arizona

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Amy? Amy, you there, babydoll? Amy?

Hmm. :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The cast list for today's subpoenas.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Now do Squidney.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:05 pm Amy? Amy, you there, babydoll? Amy?

Hmm. :think:
Amy hasn't posted on Twitter since Sep 27, very rare for Miss Sunshine. Foggy, have you heard back from her?

Amy did an interview with the TN Star remembering J6: https://tennesseestar.com/2021/09/01/wo ... ngton-d-c/. Spoiler: Foggy isn't mentioned.

Amy Sick.JPG
Amy Sick.JPG (88.37 KiB) Viewed 639 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”