Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

January 6 Select Committee

Kendra

Re: January 6 Commission

Post by Kendra »

I don't recall seeing this interview posted here yet.
“I can't believe that I have a child that's going to be in the history books for all the wrong reasons, because he was such a good person,” says Gladys Sicknick, mom of fallen Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick.

“He was texting his buddies to see if they were OK" on Jan. 6.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Oh noes, MTG is going to be very sad...

Gym Jordan?!?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Dammit, I was hoping for Louie Gohmert. :doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:13 am Dammit, I was hoping for Louie Gohmert. :doh:
I guess you'll have to do with Gym Jordan.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

Over/under on Pelosi's letting Jordan serve? (Pelosi isn't bound by McCarthy's recommendations.)

He would obviously be there just to create a spectacle and relitigate the 2020 election. But I could see some political value in Pelosi's providing rope for that.
Image ImageImage
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

bob wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:24 am Over/under on Pelosi's letting Jordan serve? (Pelosi isn't bound by McCarthy's recommendations.)

He would obviously be there just to create a spectacle and relitigate the 2020 election. But I could see some political value in Pelosi's providing rope for that.
Well, such commissions are all about theater, and Jim Jordan would make everything more dramatic. So his inclusion will probably play well for both sides. Pelosi probably would have been happier if one of the more incompetent firebrands had been selected instead since they are easy to look good next to, but a more competent one is a reasonable compromise.
filly

Post by filly »

The sensible side of me says Pelosi should exert her power as Speaker and keep that knuckle dragging sexual abuse enabler off the committee. The evil side of me would look forward to Liz Cheney telling him to STFU on the regular.
bob

Post by bob »

Per CNN, Bank, Jordan, and Nehls voted to sustain the objections to the Electoral College count.

And Banks and Jordan signed onto Texas' lawsuit (the original proceeding filed in SCOTUS) to invalidate other states' results.
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Good.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:

Let the outrage and whining begin. :dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEWS:
@GOPLeader
will pull all Republican members from the Jan. 6 committee in response to
@SpeakerPelosi
vetoing the appointment of
@RepJimBanks
and
@Jim_Jordan
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

GOOD!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Gee, too bad they voted against a bipartisan investigation in which they would have had equal membership.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

That's quite a flounce there.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

McCarthy knew that Pelosi would not accept all of his suggestions. This withdrawal was always his endgame.
filly

Post by filly »

It's about time Pelosi exercised her power as Speaker. The QOP was always going to whine about this committee being partisan. At least they can proceed without idiots like Jim Jordan yelling and screaming and talking faster than an auctioneer about sheer nonsense. I hope to heaven the committee will have counsel to question important witnesses though.
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:38 pm
This should have been worded as, "Speaker Pelosi has rejected the appointment of all Republicans named Jim to the Jan. 6 select committee." Because that would have given me a giggle. :mrgreen:
MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 pm Gee, too bad they voted against a bipartisan investigation in which they would have had equal membership.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
raison de arizona

Pelosi bars two Trump allies from the committee investigating the Jan. 6 riot.
:snippity:
In a statement, Ms. Pelosi said she was rejecting the appointments of Representatives Jim Banks of Indiana and Jim Jordan of Ohio to the panel, based on their ties to the former president and comments they had made disparaging the inquiry.
Mr. McCarthy called Ms. Pelosi’s decision an “egregious abuse of power” that he said would “irreparably damage this institution.” He threatened to pull all Republicans from the committee unless she reversed her decision.

“Denying the voices of members who have served in the military and law enforcement, as well as leaders of standing committees, has made it undeniable that this panel has lost all legitimacy and credibility and shows the speaker is more interested in playing politics than seeking the truth,” he said.

Mr. Jordan, who has called the committee a “political” attack on Mr. Trump, was among a group of House Republicans who met with the former president in December to help plan the effort to challenge Mr. Biden’s victory, and Democratic members of the select committee were considering calling him as a potential witness in their investigation. Representative Liz Cheney, Republican of Wyoming and a member of the committee, reportedly clashed with Mr. Jordan on the House floor on Jan. 6, blaming him for the riot, according to a new book by two Washington Post reporters.

“Speaker Pelosi just admitted the obvious, that the January 6th Select Committee is nothing more than a partisan political charade,” Mr. Jordan said in a statement responding to her decision.

Mr. Banks has come under criticism for arranging a trip for House Republicans to join Mr. Trump at a recent event at the southwestern border in which a participant in the Capitol riot at times served as a translator. Mr. Banks also released a combative statement Monday night in which he blamed the Biden administration for its response to the riot — which occurred during the final days of the Trump administration — and called the committee a creation of Ms. Pelosi’s to “malign conservatives and to justify the Left’s authoritarian agenda.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/us/p ... jan-6.html
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kevin McCarthy says he opposed a bipartisan commission to investigate Jan. 6 -- the thing he says he wants now -- because Pelosi wouldn't empower it to study "what built up to" the insurrection (in other words turn it into a forum to bash antifa)
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:39 pm https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1417911895877640192
Kevin McCarthy says he opposed a bipartisan commission to investigate Jan. 6 -- the thing he says he wants now -- because Pelosi wouldn't empower it to study "what built up to" the insurrection (in other words turn it into a forum to bash antifa)
Disagree, I believe the "other words" are to turn it into a fraudulent vote forum, not so much an antifa bashing one.

Although I suspect he'll take whatever he can get to deflect.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

covfefe wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:47 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:39 pm https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1417911895877640192
Disagree, I believe the "other words" are to turn it into a fraudulent vote forum, not so much an antifa bashing one.

Whatever direction they take it, it will be a :shit: show.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Doesn’t matter. We need to use this legitimate commission the way they used their bogus BENGHAZIIII!!!!! hearings, to discredit the opposition’s front runner. Never let the non-crazy but not so tuned-in public forget what trump, Gosar, Graham, the list is endless, did to this country, including the now-felons rotting in prison for him.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

covfefe wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:47 pm

Every time Jan 6 is brought up the Rethuglicans want to try to compare it to the peaceful BLM protests. There was a reason that Bill Barr would rush to put together an emergency press conference any time a crime occurred anywhere near a BLM protest - so he could claim that BLM member had committed that crime. The reason for rushing to announce who was guilty before any investigation was because he knew damn well it would likely (and always did) turn out to be a Trump supporting white supremacist. But Republicans have used that to constantly repeat that it was BLM and Antifa who were responsible for arson, murder, and other violent crimes that took place over the summer.

So, they are trying to say we need to investigate all of that. Based on the false contention that crimes were also committed by lefties...blah blah blah.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”