Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

January 6 Select Committee

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: January 6 Commission

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://news.virginia.edu/content/uvas- ... tol-attack
Timothy J. Heaphy, counsel and senior assistant attorney general at the University of Virginia, has been appointed to serve as chief investigative counsel for the congressional Select Committee on the Jan. 6 Attack on the United States Capitol.

U.S. Rep. Bennie G. Thompson, D-Mississippi, chair of the Select Committee, announced Heaphy’s selection Thursday.

“It’s good news for the Select Committee and for the American people that Mr. Heaphy has agreed to come on board as our top investigator,” Thompson said in a statement issued by his office. “Mr. Heaphy is a committed public servant with deep experience tackling complex and high-profile challenges. The Committee will need his expertise as we push ahead quickly on a number of fronts. I’m grateful for his willingness to support the Committee’s work getting answers about Jan. 6 and protecting our democracy.”

Heaphy will take a leave of absence from his UVA position while serving in his new role.

Heaphy was named UVA counsel and senior assistant attorney general in 2018. Attorneys in the Office of University Counsel are appointed by the attorney general of Virginia and represent the University on legal matters affecting University operations and interests. He is a former U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Virginia, appointed by President Obama in 2009 and serving through 2014. Before joining the University, as a partner at the law firm of Hunton Andrews Kurth, Heaphy conducted a comprehensive independent review of the August 11-12, 2017 mass demonstration events at the University and in Charlottesville for the City of Charlottesville.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

As others have said I have to wonder about the wisdom of holding one dramatic session with members of the Capitol Police and then going silent for the entire August recess. I am sure stuff is going on behind the scene but the strategy seems flawed to me.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, I agree but …

Given the circus our politics has become, the public is likely to forget everything during the recess as more and more clowns create bigger and bigger spectacle. The testimony, from the CP officers especially, will have been presented AHEAD of the revisionist bullshit coming, so there’s that.

At least they’ve given us an appetizer. Better, IMO, than silence.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/8 ... fraud-lies
Jan. 6 looked scary, but on Jan. 3 the U.S. came within hours of a coup supported by the DOJ
And on Wednesday, Pak gave closed-door testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, confirming that he resigned rather than go along with the coup.

Back in January, it became clear that Pak had been a thorn in Trump’s plans. That’s because the first step in Trump’s efforts to overturn the election involved going to where he perceived legislators were most willing to cooperate—Georgia. As the U.S. attorney in Atlanta, Trump wanted Pak to participate in the plan, but Pak dug in his heels. Pak had already investigated claims of voter fraud in the state and found nothing; his refusal to go along became part of a heated discussion between Trump and acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen.

When Trump called to threaten Georgia Sec. of State Brad Raffensperger, he took time out to complain about Pak. Trump described Pak as a “never-Trumper U.S. attorney” in Georgia, and hinted to Raffensperger that once this never-Trumper was replaced, Raffensperger would have to go along with Trump’s plans or face literally trumped-up charges.

Two days after that call, Pak resigned, which must have left Raffensperger shaken. Now, as The New York Times reports, Pak has testified in closed session and made it clear that he resigned because officials in the Justice Department warned him that, unless he went along with lies about “widespread voter fraud” in Georgia, Trump was going to fire him.

Trump’s mention of Pak in that phone call, and in discussions with Rosen, has suggested that he may have spoken with Pak directly, though that remains unclear. What is clear is that, after Trump’s complaints about Pak became a centerpiece of a DOJ meeting, officials reached out to Pak to warn him that Trump was still “fixated” on Georgia, and intended to fire Pak so he could put in someone who would support his lies. Rather than be fired, Pak resigned.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Above reads to me more like strongly interfering with the Georgia elections, far from a "coup". The courts would have gotten a say when law suits would have been filed.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@BennieGThompson
says the Jan. 6 select committee is looking at getting phone-email-text records from “several hundred people,” including members of Congress
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Six months late. Shame on them.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:38 pm Six months late. Shame on them.
The committee is not that old. How would they have gotten back before they existed? I'd rather they be methodical and get it right instead of rushing things to assuage those who want justice right away.
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

northland10 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:45 pm
The committee is not that old. How would they have gotten back before they existed? I'd rather they be methodical and get it right instead of rushing things to assuage those who want justice right away.
There are plenty of standing committees in the House. They could have and should have supoenaed phone records and any other records available immediately. Such records are not kept forever, and they have run the risk of never getting them at all.

I admit that this is not my idea; various folks who know a whole lot more than me about Congress, phone records, and how to conduct investigations have stated this.

I also freely admit that I am appalled at how long it is taking for Congress to get its act in gear. I feel the same way about the DOJ, in which I have zero confidence.
Last edited by Foggy on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: speling/grammer
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

ALERT: US House Select Jan 6 Committee sends sweeping requests for records to federal agencies... including to US Justice Dept

Seeking: Agency communication before Jan 20 w/ M Meadows, S Powell, R Giuliani, J Ellis

Documents about possibility of invoking "Insurrection Act"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:thumbsup: Some familiar names here!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

**And this** Jan 6 Committee asks Archives for any Trump White House:

"From April 1, 2020, through January 20, 2021, all documents and communications relating to challenging the validity of the 2020 election, to, from, or mentioning Mike Lindell"
:boxing: :dance: :popcorn:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

The Gateway House of Boys is OUTRAGED!

Pelosi’s January 6 Committee Requests Communications Between Trump WH Officials and Top Conservatives, Including Reporter Jack Posobiec, Scott Presler, Alex Jones and Brandon Straka
By Cristina Laila
Published August 25, 2021 at 12:56pm

Pelosi’s January 6 committee issued its first records request on Wednesday and targeted a group of conservative reporters, operatives and pundits.

The far-left committee also requested National Archives for records of Trump’s White House.

The Democrats are seeking 9 months worth of contacts between Trump’s White House and a group of conservatives, including Scott Presler, General Flynn, Ed Martin and Human Events Sr. Editor Jack Posobiec.

Among the voluminous requests, the committee is seeking 9 months worth of contacts between the Trump WH and this group of outsiders, including Enrique Tarrio, George Papadopoulos and Jack Posobiec. pic.twitter.com/xC2nEWbJBP
— Kyle Cheney (@kyledcheney) August 25, 2021

Jack Posobiec responded: “This is completely illegal and my lawyers will make short work of it. These ugly communists want to go full Stalin and Gestapo as they flail about to distract from the failures of the dementia patient they got as president who even Obama called a ‘f*** up.’ Be cautious!”

This is completely illegal and my lawyers will make short work of it
These ugly communists want to go full Stalin and Gestapo as they flail about to distract from the failures of the dementia patient they got as president who even Obama called a ‘f*** up.’ Be cautious! https://t.co/c4OR2xEEr5
— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) August 25, 2021

Posobiec said it’s clear the Democrats are after his sources and he’s not giving them up.

It’s clear they are after my sources. Not giving them up. Don’t care what letter they send me. It’s not happening. Not afraid to take a stand to protect these patriots.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... -posobiec/

:thumbsup:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona

orlylicious wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:55 pm
Jack Posobiec responded: “This is completely illegal and my lawyers will make short work of it. These ugly communists want to go full Stalin and Gestapo as they flail about to distract from the failures of the dementia patient they got as president who even Obama called a ‘f*** up.’ Be cautious!”

This is completely illegal and my lawyers will make short work of it
These ugly communists want to go full Stalin and Gestapo as they flail about to distract from the failures of the dementia patient they got as president who even Obama called a ‘f*** up.’ Be cautious! https://t.co/c4OR2xEEr5

Posobiec said it’s clear the Democrats are after his sources and he’s not giving them up.

It’s clear they are after my sources. Not giving them up. Don’t care what letter they send me. It’s not happening. Not afraid to take a stand to protect these patriots.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... -posobiec/

:thumbsup:
Good. Hope Posobiec goes to the pokey. These aren't journalistic sources, they are planners of a violent insurrection that resulted in the deaths of a number of LEO.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Jan. 6 Select Committee has sent letters to 15 social media companies, including Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, seeking records related to the spread of election misinformation — including from domestic violent extremists affiliated with efforts to overturn the election.
slq

Post by slq »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:32 pm
There are plenty of standing committees in the House. They could have and should have supoenaed phone records and any other records available immediately. Such records are not kept forever, and they have run the risk of never getting them at all.

I admit that this is not my idea; various folks who know a whole lot more than me about Congress, phone records, and how to conduct investigations have stated this.

I also freely admit that I am appalled at how long it is taking for Congress to get its act in gear. I feel the same way about the DOJ, in which I have zero confidence.
Respectfully, the people who said phone records may not be available 8 months later don’t “know a whole lot” about that. I can access 3 years of my own records online (meaning they still exist in my carrier’s records) and, as an attorney, have successfully subpoenaed records that are 5 years old.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
tencats

Post by tencats »

GOP Rep. Jim Banks: Republicans Have A 'Duty' To Punish Members Investigating Jan. 6 Riot
Thu, August 26, 2021
https://news.yahoo.com/gop-rep-jim-bank ... 45753.html
Rep. Jim Banks (R-Ind.) is urging his party to punish every lawmaker investigating the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol if Republicans take back the majority in 2022.

“When we win back the majority next year, we have a duty as Republicans to hold every member of this committee accountable for this abuse of power, for stepping over the line, by preventing them from being in positions of authority,” Banks told Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday. “Take them off any committee, get them as far away from positions of power as you can because they’ve shown us that by threatening to do this that they abuse their power, wherever they are.”

This week, Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), chair of the House select committee investigating the attack, announced he will be asking telecommunications and social media companies to preserve the electronic records of communications of several people, possibly including members of Congress.

Thompson did not name any specific members, even though on Tuesday, Carlson claimed that Banks is “apparently one of the Republicans whose phone records will be grabbed.”

Thompson did not name any specific members, even though on Tuesday, Carlson claimed that Banks is “apparently one of the Republicans whose phone records will be grabbed.”

At least two Republicans ― House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.) and Rep. Jim Jordan (Ohio) ― have acknowledged talking to former President Donald Trump on Jan. 6.

Carlson’s son also works for Banks, a fact he did not disclose ― has not disclosed ― in the numerous times he’s interviewed the congressman.

Read more at https://news.yahoo.com/gop-rep-jim-bank ... 45753.html
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Jim Banks: Republicans Have A 'Duty' To Punish Members Investigating Jan. 6 Riot
That'll go over well with any voter who isn't batshit crazy. I mean, who knows what will have come to light by Nov. 2022.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 pm
Jim Banks: Republicans Have A 'Duty' To Punish Members Investigating Jan. 6 Riot
That'll go over well with any voter who isn't batshit crazy. I mean, who knows what will have come to light by Nov. 2022.
Over half the Republican party thinks Trump won the election.

Batshit crazy is a low bar for the R's these days.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

slq wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:19 pm
p0rtia wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:32 pm

Respectfully, the people who said phone records may not be available 8 months later don’t “know a whole lot” about that. I can access 3 years of my own records online (meaning they still exist in my carrier’s records) and, as an attorney, have successfully subpoenaed records that are 5 years old.
I hear ya. Here's someone on the subject that knows more than me. I'm not the world's biggest Figliuzzi fan, but this resonated:

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m seeing Obama’s (alleged) comment about President Biden (‘don’t underestimate his ability to fuck things up’) being spit out of the mouths of the usual suspects, along with the dementia thing.

I specifically remember one thing that Joe “fucked up” for Obama - support for gay marriage. 8-) IIRC, Obama wasn’t on board until Joe spoke at a press avail. Obama was pretty pissed because he couldn’t find a good way to walk it back without alienating half his base.

Joe also wasn’t a big fan of some of the military options Obama chose, too.

When Obama said he didn’t “get” half of today’s Dem party, he also said Joe for sure didn’t “get” them, but that’s not what I see. Someone opened Joe’s eyes along the campaign trail and I would say he “gets” more that Obama does right now.

I loved Obama as a person, liked him as President. I have a feeling it will be double love from me for Biden 4-8 years from now.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn:

The Jan. 6 select committee requested communications between Texas Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton and Trump White House officials in the months leading up to the insurrection.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Andrew Torba posted the love letter to GAB. He emailed about it and posted the letter.
Gab Receives A Letter From Congress
Gab News🐸 <GabNews@mailer.gab.com> Unsubscribe
1:09 AM (1 hour ago)
to me

Yesterday evening Gab received a letter from the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Protest at the United States Capitol.

You can read the letter here. https://news.gab.com/2021/08/27/gab-rec ... -congress/ (or see below for Word converted and PDF versions)

By way of further background about our company, Gab exists to promote freedom of speech, by which we mean all speech which is protected speech under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. No more, no less.

Accordingly we have a zero-tolerance policy towards threats of violence and unlawful speech. As to controversial but nonetheless legal speech we believe, as Justice Brandeis did, that “sunlight is the best disinfectant, electric light the most efficient policeman.”

We have been boycotted by virtually every company in Silicon Valley because of our adherence to this moderation policy. In their zeal to bend to “woke” political agendas or outside pressure groups, our contemporaries in the Valley forget the social importance of letting off steam and of exposing bad ideas, and bad people, to public scrutiny.

As we are a free to use online publishing platform, it is inevitable that criminal actors will seek to abuse our services, as indeed they abuse all online services. We work hard to ensure that our services are denied to these bad actors.

For example, in the lead-up to the inauguration, we were made aware of a number of accounts which sought to spread division and fear through the use of unlawful threats. All accounts of this type that have been discovered have been banned on discovery, including at least one account which published threats against a number of U.S. election officials and was the subject of significant media coverage, including media coverage which incorrectly stated that we failed to take action against the subject account.

We look forward to getting in touch with the Committee in the coming weeks especially given the recent news that the FBI has found “scant evidence that the Jan. 6 event at the U.S. Capitol was the result of an organized plot to overturn the presidential election result, according to four current and former law enforcement officials.”

Andrew Torba
CEO, Gab.com
Jesus is King

We anticipate that responding to this letter will cost a significant amount of money for legal expenses. If you would like to help us cover these costs we would appreciate you making a donation or upgrading to GabPRO to support us.

We take your privacy and your liberty very seriously and will keep your information in the strictest confidence. Your name will not be sold to or shared with third parties. We will email you from time to time with relevant news and updates, but you can stop receiving information from us at any time by following very simple instructions that will be included at the bottom of any correspondence you should receive from us.

You can unsubscribe at any time, or write to us at
Gab AI, Inc.
700 N. State Street
Clarks Summit, PA 18411
Since this is the template for the other companies too, went ahead and converted it to Word (in spoiler). Sounds like an awesome project for Labor Day Weekend so it can be produced by September 9! :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler
Letter in PDF format:
Letter_August26.pdf
(300.77 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”