January 6 Select Committee

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: January 6 Commission

Post by raison de arizona »

RVInit wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:59 pm Every time Jan 6 is brought up the Rethuglicans want to try to compare it to the peaceful BLM protests. There was a reason that Bill Barr would rush to put together an emergency press conference any time a crime occurred anywhere near a BLM protest - so he could claim that BLM member had committed that crime. The reason for rushing to announce who was guilty before any investigation was because he knew damn well it would likely (and always did) turn out to be a Trump supporting white supremacist. But Republicans have used that to constantly repeat that it was BLM and Antifa who were responsible for arson, murder, and other violent crimes that took place over the summer.

So, they are trying to say we need to investigate all of that. Based on the false contention that crimes were also committed by lefties...blah blah blah.
OK, I'll buy that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:faint:
raison de arizona

► Show Spoiler
Go sell crazy somewhere else.
McCarthy pulls all Republicans from January 6 Select Committee after Pelosi rejects two picks

House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy says he will pull all five of his picks to serve on the select committee investigating the January 6 assault on the Capitol, if House Speaker Nancy Pelosi doesn't rescind her rejection of two of his recommendations, Congressmen Jim Jordan and Jim Banks.

McCarthy made that announcement Wednesday afternoon, moments after Pelosi said, "With respect for the integrity of the investigation, with an insistence on the truth and with concern about statements made and actions taken by these members, I must reject the recommendations of Representatives Banks and Jordan." She did not elaborate further on her decision to reject them.

Instead, McCarthy said during a press conference Wednesday afternoon that Republicans will conduct their own investigation.

"Speaker Nancy Pelosi has taken the unprecedented step of denying the minority party's picks for the Select Committee on January 6," McCarthy said in a statement. "This represents an egregious abuse of power and will irreparably damage this institution. Denying the voices of members who have served in the military and law enforcement, as well as leaders of standing committees, has made it undeniable that this panel has lost all legitimacy and credibility and shows the Speaker is more interested in playing politics than seeking the truth."

He added, "Unless Speaker Pelosi reverses course and seats all five Republican nominees, Republicans will not be party to their sham process and will instead pursue our own investigation of the facts."
:snippity:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kevin-mcca ... jim-banks/

For completeness, McCarthy Statement about Pelosi’s Abuse of Power on January 6th Select Committee:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If you missed Liz Cheney just flame-broiling Qevin McCarthy and Gym Jordan, you should definitely search your Twitter feed for the video clips.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Watched it this morning. It was awesome! But I'm still very uncomfortable rooting for a Cheney.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:54 am Watched it this morning. It was awesome! But I'm still very uncomfortable rooting for a Cheney.
*nods*

I'm having the same problem.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:54 am Watched it this morning. It was awesome! But I'm still very uncomfortable rooting for a Cheney.
The enemy of my enemy I guess... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 pm
The enemy of my enemy I guess... :shrug:
Yes, it's all the result of the "Democrats’ tax and spend agenda," there's nothing else going on here... :cantlook:

I feel like she is just a throwback to when people were a little less crazy, I still disagree with her, but at least she isn't completely insane like the QOP.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Aaaand the world rights itself.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ok, I'm the last person to comment on the economy, with my art school and community college background, but we're coming out of a year-long lockdown where people stayed home and didn't buy stuff. When I did venture into a store, the shelves were basically empty with signs up to "Check out our website. Have your items shipped directly to your front door!"

Now, thanks to the stimulus and (allegedly) better covid numbers, people are getting out and wanting to spend money. Doesn't a lot of it have to do with retailers not having the stock on hand because why would they stockpile stuff if people weren't coming into the store?

People weren't buying cars, now they want cars. People weren't buying houses, now they want houses. How much of this inflation problem is simply supply v demand and the numbers will adjust once production is up and running.

(Sorry, this is probably off-topic but I was responding to Cheney's tweet. I don't mean to hijack the thread.)

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If anyone picks up on time for Tuesday's first hearing and what TV channels are playing it, please post here.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

covfefe wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 pm :snippity:
I feel like she is just a throwback to when people were a little less crazy, I still disagree with her, but at least she isn't completely insane like the QOP.
That's how far the bar has been lowered for the GQP, if it get's any lower, we'll have to dig for it.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl3dkCjqP9E
Set a reminder to watch the first hearing by the House select committee investigating the U.S. Capitol riot on Tuesday. CBSN’s coverage will begin at 9 a.m. ET. The panel will hear testimony from several Capitol and Metropolitan police officers who responded to the attack on January 6.
Broke the link, there's really nothing there yet.

Reposting to correct thread.
filly

Post by filly »

(CNN)House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said it's her "plan" to appoint GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger to the House select committee to investigate January 6, just days after the GOP walked out on the panel.

"That would be my plan," she said when asked by ABC's George Stephanopoulos if she wanted to add him. CNN reported last week that Pelosi was eyeing Kinzinger to bolster the panel.
Kinzinger, a vocal Republican critic of Trump who was one of 10 House Republicans to vote for his second impeachment, would join Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming as the only Republicans on the new select committee.
The Illinois Republican has been telling people in recent days he'd accept the appointment if offered, according to a source familiar with the matter.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/25/politics ... index.html
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

You beat me to it, posting here, but GOOD for him and US.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

There's now a government website for the committee, so we can look up hearings, etc. I notice there's a tip link on the home page.

https://january6th.house.gov/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh good! There's a Watch Live link at the top.

The video isn't working for me but there's a link to youtube and it's up and running.

ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

You can also watch the livestream at cbsnews.com.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They're playing clips of the violence. I wonder if trump is watching his "lovefest."

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Cheney's statement is good. So was Thompson's. He kept it nonpartisan. Cheney is calling out Republicans for rewriting the day after initially acknowledging it for what it was.

Which brings me to the "commission" Republicans are planning. What could they possibly find, other than trying to blame Pelosi for "not being prepared."

ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 am Which brings me to the "commission" Republicans are planning. What could they possibly find, other than trying to blame Pelosi for "not being prepared."
Maybe they will make the magic connection to Bengaziiiiii and Hillary's emails.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks for the link above. I missed the first 15 minutes (opening statements) while stuck in traffic.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Capitol officer will testify:

"I arrived home at nearly 4:00 am
on January 7. I had to push away my wife from hugging me because of all the chemicals that covered my body. I couldn’t sleep because the chemicals reactivated after I took a shower and my skin was still burning"
Just tourists.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”