#AZAudit Maricopa & Other Arizona County Election Audits - #CyberNinjas / Jovan Pulitzer / Fann / Birther Ken Bennett

tek

Re: #AZAudit Maricopa Arizona Election Audit - #CyberNinjas / Jovan Hutton Pulitzer / Karen Fann / Birther Ken Bennett

Post by tek »

neeneko wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:58 pm That they were using RStudio for audit work reinforced my earlier idea that they have a bunch of undergrad ML/DS interns around and are poorly applying whatever tools they remember from school.

RStudio is a great toolset, but doesn't make sense in an audit unless you are planning to make some kind of fancy difficult to follow statistical model.. the kind where you tell it what result you want and it fits the data to it.
daughter.tek is finishing up her MS in Data Science as I type (doing her capstone project).
She has said many times that her peers in classes in graduate school have zero clue what they are doing.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Re: #AZAudit Maricopa Arizona Election Audit - #CyberNinjas / Jovan Hutton Pulitzer / Karen Fann / Birther Ken Bennett

Post by fierceredpanda »

This guy seems nice:

:shock:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

LM K wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:25 pm I think they're using RStudio because they can't figure out how to use anything else. Assuming they know what else to use.
Yeah.. depending on the program, often students are introduced to either RStudio, Jupyter Notebook, or NetLOGO as the single tool/environment that they then do EVERYTHING through.... or if you are dealing with an older crowd, maybe SAS.

Which really tells me they are being steered by someone fairly young and not that long out of school.. or at least lacking the intellectual curiosity/industry experience to have picked up more specialized tools. Then again I do pretty my everything through CPython so perhaps I can not throw stones here.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

tek wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:59 am daughter.tek is finishing up her MS in Data Science as I type (doing her capstone project).
She has said many times that her peers in classes in graduate school have zero clue what they are doing.
Off Topic
Heh

Yep. Most of the people I work with are ML and DS students (grad and undergrad).. and can confirm that many of them have zero clue. Others are really amazing and competent.... the variety even within a single program is staggering. Though I find I walk away with different impressions regarding competence than my boss does, which makes me wish I had the perspective to unpack and check bias.
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:47 am This guy seems nice:

Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
filly

Post by filly »

And a man of great intellect.
Eaststander

Post by Eaststander »

It is truly astonishing. How do these people manage to tie their own shoe laces? How do they get through a semblance of normal life? How?
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

tek wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:59 am daughter.tek is finishing up her MS in Data Science as I type (doing her capstone project).
Off Topic
Please congratulate your daughter on my behalf! We desperately need more women in science/tech/engineering/math (STEM) fields.

I sincerely hope your daughter's peers figure out what they're doing. Researchers in all science fields rely of statisticians and data analysts for our research.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

It's sad that MAGA doesn't understand that statistical analysis is involved in a real audit process. They think that 2nd grade addition/subtraction/division is enough to audit an election. :doh:

Yesterday's hearing seriously spanked Cyber Ninjas.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

It's the "don't know how things work" syndrome

Which is, of course, directly related to the war on professionalism.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Newest theory is that Trump ballots were shredded and then fed to chickens and then the chickens were incinerated to hide the evidence....

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just incinerate the ballots?

Oh wait.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
LM K

Post by LM K »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm Wouldn't it have been simpler to just incinerate the ballots?

Oh wait.
:rotflmao:
LM K

Post by LM K »

Link for video of today's senate meeting. Meeting starts at 1:00 MST.

https://www.azleg.gov/liveproceedings/
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm Wouldn't it have been simpler to just incinerate the ballots?

Oh wait.
Exactly. Bamboo doesn't burn well. ;)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

LM K wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:54 pm Link for video of today's senate meeting. Meeting starts at 1:00 MST.

Which is about an hour from now.

3:00 pm central time
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Chilidog wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 pm
LM K wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:54 pm Link for video of today's senate meeting. Meeting starts at 1:00 MST.

1 MST is 2 CST.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

1 MST is 3 CDT. We're on CDT. (Why are they MST? Do they hate the west coast so much they have to be in their own time zone?)
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

PaulG wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:12 pm 1 MST is 3 CDT. We're on CDT. (Why are they MST? Do they hate the west coast so much they have to be in their own time zone?)
:bag: :bag: :bag:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

PaulG wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:12 pm 1 MST is 3 CDT. We're on CDT. (Why are they MST? Do they hate the west coast so much they have to be in their own time zone?)
Yes. Or maybe it has something to do with MLK day...
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Chilidog wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 pm

Nothing yet
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

It's on now. Karen Fann is doubling down, insisting that the audit is just about ensuring election integrity, and whinging about the Board of Supervisors not wanting to attend.
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Return to “"Forensic Audits" of State Elections 2020”