New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Uninformed

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by Uninformed »

Thanks for that. I understand the issues better now.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
much ado

Post by much ado »

Thanks, FRP, for explaining the issues. I hope the federal authorities are aware of things we aren't.

It sure is fun to live in interesting times!
much ado

Post by much ado »

I did some searching on the statute of limitations as applied to Trump's misconduct and found this CNN article from March:

Trump's time in White House could end up benefiting New York prosecutors
Prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorney's Office have discussed using a section of New York criminal procedure law that they successfully applied in their sexual assault case against disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein to charge him with earlier conduct, people familiar with the matter said.

The section allows for the extension of the statute of limitations when a defendant has been out of state "continuously."

Since Trump was sworn into office in January 2017, he has spent few days in New York, which means prosecutors could effectively add that time to the clock and investigate earlier conduct.
While that would likely apply only to the former President, legal experts tell CNN that prosecutors also benefit from an executive order that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo issued last March that paused the clock on the statute of limitations to address the coronavirus pandemic's impact on the New York court system.

The executive order could give prosecutors another several months' worth of conduct by the Trump Organization and its employees to investigate.

A lawyer for Trump declined to comment. A spokesman for the district attorney's office declined to comment.
filly

Post by filly »

My point was that Trump's tax fraud schemes have been going on for decades. I have no reason to think that any of that changed for any relevant years that the Manhattan DA can charge him with. Pattern evidence is admissible and very powerful. Don't forget there is probably a great deal of evidence of bank and insurance fraud as well.
filly

Post by filly »

Suranis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:20 pm
filly wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:59 pm Who's "you?"
Well, I would explain but I really need to floss my teeth and brush my hair and fold my clothes oh goodness is that the time well lovely talking to you lovely weather kiss kiss...
As thoughtful and respectful as ever I see.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Then I came across this:

Senate Majority Passes Gianaris’ No Citizen Is Above The Law Act

From what I see, this legislation was passed by the NY Senate in February, but has not yet been passed by the NY Assembly. Does anyone know what is going on with this?
Senate Deputy Leader Gianaris’ legislation will pause the statute of limitations for all crimes alleged to be committed by the sitting President of the United States, thwarting all efforts to impede on-going criminal investigations. Under current law, the immunity enjoyed by Presidents can be used to run out the statute of limitations on criminal charges. The bill will take effect immediately, allowing prosecutors in New York State currently pursuing investigations into the former President of the United States to pursue charges if warranted.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I might even subscribe to that argument. But, again, no court has ever made such a ruling, which would very likely be appealed, possibly all the way up to SCOTUS
Sit down, this is a Douglas Adams kind of thought and just in time to Towel Day.

Trump argued himself all the way to the Supreme Court his "intergalactic and no damn exceptions immunity for me, my family and anyone who ever talked to me" which is the hypothetical case, would be the basis of saying the statute of limitations were tolled and waiting for him when he linked his orange ass out of the White House.

Mark that place.

So if NY State tries to make an argument taking him at his word, he would then, one assumes, argue all the way to the Supreme Court a position exactly opposite the prior position he argued, the last time he was there.

Ya think Justice Kegs is gonna let that go?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wait, I thought Mike Lindell said the former asshole was going to be back in office by mid-summer. So you gotta factor that into any discussion of the statute of limitations, I reckon. :confuzzled:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:00 am Wait, I thought Mike Lindell said the former asshole was going to be back in office by mid-summer. So you gotta factor that into any discussion of the statute of limitations, I reckon. :confuzzled:
Well technically summer hasn't even started yet foggy. The start of summer is still a few weeks away so he's got time.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

tek wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:03 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:59 pm I bet he had to sneak into the Tower.
IK, R?

I'd think he'd have to be smuggled in a (very) large canvas laundry bag..
38D62BAC-C504-442D-B7E8-DB851CA3DF54.jpeg
38D62BAC-C504-442D-B7E8-DB851CA3DF54.jpeg (285.57 KiB) Viewed 3084 times

Sure, Trump isn’t quite as rotund as Falstaff yet... but he’s working on it.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:00 am Wait, I thought Mike Lindell said the former asshole was going to be back in office by mid-summer. So you gotta factor that into any discussion of the statute of limitations, I reckon. :confuzzled:
"Former" asshole? As far as I can tell, he's still an asshole.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Lots of assholes, only one is "THE" former asshole. :smoking:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:19 am
"Former" asshole? As far as I can tell, he's still an asshole.
As big and wide an asshole as the open sky.
Largo al factotum.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:49 pm Lots of assholes, only one is "THE" former asshole.
:like:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... al-racine/

:snippity:
Rick Gates, who was the PIC’s deputy chair (and who later pleaded guilty to charges stemming from special counsel Robert Mueller’s Trump-Russia investigation), emailed Douglas Ammerman, the committee’s treasurer, “I would like to introduce you to Allen Weisselberg who is with the Trump Organization and was an enormous help to us on the campaign. Please reach out to Allen and walk him through the auditing process for the PIC and the activities that were conducted through the project.” Weisselberg and Tom Barrack, the billionaire investor and Trump pal who chaired the inauguration committee, were cc’d on the email.

In this email, Gates did not explain why Weisselberg, a senior official at an organization that had received a large amount of money from the committee, was being called on to oversee the PIC’s own internal audit.

Half an hour later, in the same email chain. Weisselberg wrote Ammerman, “If you would be so kind as to send me the latest report reflecting all revenue broken down by its sources as well as a detailed disbursement schedule by vendor it would be greatly appreciated. Once I review these reports I will get back to you with additional questions or requests.” Barrack and Gates also received this email. On the bottom of the print-out of these emails in the legal filing was a handwritten note: “Spoke to Rick Gates today about the inauguration accounting.” The person who wrote this note is not identified on the document.
:snippity:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:30 am

She doesn't impress me all that much. I saw one interview that made me cringe and think prosecutors are in trouble if they are depending on her to testify. I know an interview is different than answering questions that are skillfully asked by an attorney, but ouch. If they need her actual testimony they are not in good shape. Maybe the documents she is providing have been helpful, who knows. But she just seems to be speculating about things from what I have seen. I will admit that I've only seen a limited amount of interviewing with her, and maybe that is coloring my opinion more than it should. Anyone else seen much of her?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I get the same impression, but as you noted, hopefully the documents she's provided will do the trick.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:32 pm I get the same impression, but as you noted, hopefully the documents she's provided will do the trick.
I got that same on her other interviews. Maybe it's me, but she seemed kind of *cough* medicated *cough*, but maybe she's just that way. I did like the live interview vs the prior remote ones, I could follow her better, without the audio burping on me.

Hope she stays away from windows in tall buildings...
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:55 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:32 pm I get the same impression, but as you noted, hopefully the documents she's provided will do the trick.
I got that same on her other interviews. Maybe it's me, but she seemed kind of *cough* medicated *cough*, but maybe she's just that way. I did like the live interview vs the prior remote ones, I could follow her better, without the audio burping on me.

Hope she stays away from windows in tall buildings...
She seemed higher than a kite in her first interview a month or so ago. This week she was okay, I thought. Clear and focused.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump on Madoff family, 2011: “For these people to sit there and claim they had no idea what was happening with their father, who was right next to them in offices and everything else, don’t believe it, folks! It’s a scam!”
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He would know a scam when he sees one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

Jennifer is providing financial documents to the Manhattan DA. I suspect she will be used to authenticate these documents. I also suspect that the prosecutors are experienced in handling witnesses and will proceed accordingly.

She was on MSNBC last night and said her lawyer had delivered more documents to the MDA as recently as Friday. She has very hooded eyes and her mascara had transferred to her upper eyelid in one giant black blob. And I have no idea what she's talking about with these escrow accounts. She doesn't strike me as someone with experiences in financial matters. But that's not what the DA is looking for from her.
filly

Post by filly »

A former high ranking member of the DA's office was on TV last night. He noted that in NYS anyone who testifies before a Grand Jury gets immunity! Also, a Defendant has a right to come and testify before a Grand Jury (but does not get immunity). I doubt T**** will be making an appearance.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

His staff would do anything to keep Rump for an appearance (unless they needed to save themselves). As was said many times early on, including by John Oliver, TFG would commit perjury before he finished stating his name.
101010 :towel:

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”