ewwww ewww
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by Maybenaut »

sad-cafe wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:14 pmewwww ewww
:yeahthat:

Barf.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:29 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:55 pm
tek wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:25 pm I'd be OK with Barr getting some indelible trump taint.
Now I'm thinking about Trump's taint. :sick:
I'm not. :daydreaming:
It’s hard not to; he’s ALL taint.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Well, I know one thing he is - and that is, he AINT.

He AINT president no more.
He AINT a decent human being.
He AINT living in the White House.
He AINT on Twitter.
He AINT on Facebook, although Facebook management have his back in other ways that count.
He AINT occupying the news cycle 24/7.
He AINT my first dreaded thought in the morning and my last dreaded thought at night.

He just AINT.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bravo!!!! You can also say he "t'aint" president no more, etc. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 am Bravo!!!! You can also say he "t'aint" president no more, etc. :biggrin:
:lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 am Bravo!!!! You can also say he "t'aint" president no more, etc. :biggrin:
now that is good
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Damn you! You just ruined the best slice of Pizza I've ever had west of 7th Avenue.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Breaking WSJ: New York prosecutors have subpoenaed a Manhattan private school as they seek the cooperation of Trump Org. CFO Allen Weisselberg in their investigation of Trump and his company.

Weisselberg's grandchildren are students at the school.
I was able to get past the WSJ paywall by opening private window.
tek

Post by tek »

New York prosecutors have subpoenaed a Manhattan private school as they seek the cooperation of the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer in their investigation of former President Donald Trump and his company, according to people familiar with the matter.

The subpoena seeks information from Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School, where grandchildren of Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg are students, the people said. From 2012 to 2019, more than $500,000 of the children’s tuition was paid for with checks signed by either Mr. Weisselberg or Mr. Trump, the two children’s mother, Jennifer Weisselberg, told The Wall Street Journal. She is the former wife of Mr. Weisselberg’s son Barry.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

tek wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:43 pm
New York prosecutors have subpoenaed a Manhattan private school as they seek the cooperation of the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer in their investigation of former President Donald Trump and his company, according to people familiar with the matter.

The subpoena seeks information from Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School, where grandchildren of Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg are students, the people said. From 2012 to 2019, more than $500,000 of the children’s tuition was paid for with checks signed by either Mr. Weisselberg or Mr. Trump, the two children’s mother, Jennifer Weisselberg, told The Wall Street Journal. She is the former wife of Mr. Weisselberg’s son Barry.
???

If the Trump org is writing those kinds of checks, shouldn't they be sending out 1099?
tek

Post by tek »

Miss Clavel says "something is not right"
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 pm

???

If the Trump org is writing those kinds of checks, shouldn't they be sending out 1099?

Well, when you're trying to cheat on someone's taxes you sometimes have to skip a step or two.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Gregg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:01 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 pm
???

Well, when you're trying to cheat on someone's taxes you sometimes have to skip a step or two.
*nods*

I've done payables for a much smaller company. We flat out don't pay anyone over $500 (I think that's the amount) without a W-9 on file. Not a corporation, but an individual? Send that 1099 out and CYA.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

"Nope, it was just another bill we paid, some company, we don't really look...."

Which is what you say before you start talking about the plea deal.

Jim

Post by Jim »

IANAL just thinking...if Weisselberg didn't claim that as income, isn't he in line for a huge fine/penalty with the IRS?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Jim wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:24 pm IANAL just thinking...if Weisselberg didn't claim that as income, isn't he in line for a huge fine/penalty with the IRS?
I would assume so. The older Weisselberg being an accountant should have known better. It's not that hard. :brickwallsmall:
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Jim wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:24 pm IANAL just thinking...if Weisselberg didn't claim that as income, isn't he in line for a huge fine/penalty with the IRS?
All that and criminal tax evasion charges.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I would think its his son, as they were tipped off by his ex daughter in law. One of Andrew's sons ran the Trump concessions for the ice rink and the carrousel, the other worked at some investment bank. I don't know which one has the angry ex or which one has the kids going to expensive schools.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/19/politics ... index.html
(CNN)The New York attorney general's office has opened a criminal tax investigation into top Trump Organization officer Allen Weisselberg, increasing the legal pressure on the long-time aide to former President Donald Trump, people familiar with the investigation say.

The pressure on Weisselberg is mounting from two directions with the attorney general looking into his personal taxes, while prosecutors in the district attorney's office are digging into his role at the Trump Organization, his personal finances, and benefits given to his son Barry, a long-time employee of the Trump Organization.
:popcorn:
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

The NYAG should spend less time tipping off the press and more time actually bringing charges, or else they should shut up. NY has a five-year statute of limitations on the crimes they are investigating, and the clock is ticking. A court may find that Trump's presidency tolled the statute of limitations, but that is by no means certain, and I very much doubt that such tolling would extend to a corporate criminal prosecution of the Trump Organization.

Time to put up or shut up, because I'm starting to wonder if Leticia James isn't just using this for political ends to remind her electorate of just how eager she is to go after Donald Trump.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

fierceredpanda wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:37 am Time to put up or shut up, because I'm starting to wonder if Leticia James isn't just using this for political ends to remind her electorate of just how eager she is to go after Donald Trump.
I can understand the concern about time running out on the statute of limitations. However, I would point out that much of downstate NY (more than half the population) are highly educated (sure, plenty of folks upstate are as well, but much of NY upstate is quite rural and rather conservative). They're not going to fall for promises of charging Trump "real soon now." They are going to vote to re-elect Leticia James based on actual results, both charging and winning the case. She's betting her career on this and she knows it. So she's making sure to do it right.

Also, for clarification: does the clock on the statute of limitations start when the crime occured or when it was "discovered"? If the latter, then there might be more time than we think.
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:50 am Also, for clarification: does the clock on the statute of limitations start when the crime occured or when it was "discovered"? If the latter, then there might be more time than we think.
When the crime occurred. Sometimes courts can find that certain circumstances justify tolling (i.e., pausing) the statutory timeline, as happened in the Harvey Weinstein case because of his being continuously out of NY for a significant period of time. But that's the sort of thing that automatically provokes an interlocutory appeal request if the court allows it. I can pretty much guarantee that if the NYAG or Manhattan DA are charging something outside the five-year window, Trump's lawyers will move to dismiss on statute of limitations grounds and sharpen their pens to appeal and hold up the works for months if the judge handling the case denies the motion. And with every day that passes, any arguments for tolling the statute grow weaker, because there is literally no excuse now. He's not President anymore. Courts generally don't have patience for prosecutors treating statutes of limitation as minor inconveniences to be circumvented rather than the presumptive estoppel they are supposed to be, nor should they.

Time to deliver the goods, or else move on.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/19/nyre ... ticleShare

:snippity:
Mr. Trump has been described by advisers as agitated by the two investigations. After moving last week from his private Florida club, Mar-a-Lago, to another of his clubs in New Jersey, he then decamped to Trump Tower for his first extended stay in years, spending time at the office where aides have been grappling with the inquiries for many months.
:snippity:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I bet he had to sneak into the Tower.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”