bob

Re: Rudy Giuliani

Post by bob »

Mike D.'s explainer:
Image ImageImage
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

This is just the start of the mudslide. Expect other states where Rudy was licensed to impose reciprocal discipline automatically.
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

bob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:09 pm While I have no problem with the court suspending his license for lying to court, I think the court is overreaching a bit with lies told to others.

Giuliani has a duty of candor with the courts. But disciplining lawyers for false statements generally would catch more than just Giuliani.

The NY ethics rules do have very broad no-lying provisions. And Giuliani's primary defense was the First Amendment, which the court rejected. So I'm not saying the court is wrong; just that this broadness is going to invite criticism.
The five judges on the panel were undoubtedly keenly aware of that. And yet they voted 5-0, not just to suspend Giuliani, but to do so on an interim basis, without first holding a suspension hearing. What do you suppose that says about the strength of the evidence?

slq

Post by slq »

bob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:09 pm While I have no problem with the court suspending his license for lying to court, I think the court is overreaching a bit with lies told to others.

Giuliani has a duty of candor with the courts. But disciplining lawyers for false statements generally would catch more than just Giuliani.

The NY ethics rules do have very broad no-lying provisions. And Giuliani's primary defense was the First Amendment, which the court rejected. So I'm not saying the court is wrong; just that this broadness is going to invite criticism.
I agree that, in general, it is a stretch to suspend an attorney for lying to the public. But this lie " immediately threatens the public interest and warrants interim suspension from the practice of law."
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:36 am
Best quote, buried way down on Page 27:
...the uncontroverted misconduct in itself will likely result in substantial permanent sanctions at the conclusion of these disciplinary proceedings.
Guess they already know how the story ends. Sayonara, Roodles.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

What Bob said. OTOH, there's this in footnote 4 of the decision:
In opposition to this motion, respondent refers to affidavits he has not provided (Giuliani affidavit ¶¶11, 50, 61, 62, 66). He also relies on a “confidential informant” (Giuliani affidavit ¶82). We do not understand, nor does respondent explain why, as a private attorney seemingly unconnected to law enforcement he would have access to a “confidential informant” that we cannot also have access to. At yet another point respondent claims he relies on a Trump attorney who chooses not to be identified (Giuliani affidavit ¶43). Respondent also refers to hundreds of witnesses, experts, and investigative reports, none of which have been provided or identified (Giuliani affidavit ¶14) and an Excel spreadsheet, also not provided, purportedly listing the names of thousands of deceased voters who allegedly cast ballots in Michigan (Giuliani affidavit ¶51)
I can't offhand think of a better way to persuade a court that you're full of baloney.
bob

Post by bob »

slq wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:37 pmI agree that, in general, it is a stretch to suspend an attorney for lying to the public. But this lie " immediately threatens the public interest and warrants interim suspension from the practice of law."
No doubt. But suspension for lying to the public is going to run into some non-frivolous First Amendment arguments.

So, again, what is surprising is that the court didn't just stick to the lying-to-courts charge to justify the interim suspension.
Image ImageImage
much ado

Post by much ado »

Yes friends, a manure spreader in action...

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

My pick from Mike Dunford:

https:// twitter.com/questauthority/status/1408113332394024963
Mike Dunford @questauthority

My read of this is that it's not only an interim suspension, it's an interim suspension because there is uncontroverted evidence of misconduct, and there has NOT been a hearing yet??

WOW.
► Show Spoiler
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

IMO any licensed lawyer who lies to the public while promoting himself as an attorney, therefore implying that he knows what he's talking about, deserves a suspension.
Largo al factotum.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Mike's take on Footnote 4, about the confidential source the numerous affidavits that Giuliani relies on but refused to share with the court, and the "hundreds of witnesses, experts, andinvestigative reports, none of which have been provided or identified."

Oh, Rudy. No. Oh no. No. No. No. No. What WERE YOU THINKING???

You're trying to rely on things YOU DID NOT GIVE THEM?? AND A "CONFIDENTIAL INFORMANT"???

No.
filly

Post by filly »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:47 pm My pick from Mike Dunford:

https:// twitter.com/questauthority/status/1408113332394024963
Mike Dunford @questauthority

My read of this is that it's not only an interim suspension, it's an interim suspension because there is uncontroverted evidence of misconduct, and there has NOT been a hearing yet??

WOW.
► Show Spoiler
I Could be wrong but I read that as a hearing by the court, not the State Bar Grievance Committee.
bob

Post by bob »

And Mike D.'s explainer on his explainer (i.e., the policy concerns):
Image ImageImage
somerset

Post by somerset »

bob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:53 pm And Mike D.'s explainer on his explainer (i.e., the policy concerns):
The whole thread is worth reading. Personally, I agree with MikeD. But I'm biased against Roodles ;)
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

zekeb wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:55 pm IMO any licensed lawyer who lies to the public while promoting himself as an attorney, therefore implying that he knows what he's talking about, deserves a suspension.
Agreed. He lied to the public in his capacity as a lawyer while claiming to represent the public's needs for a "secure election".
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

somerset wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:04 pm
The whole thread is worth reading. Personally, I agree with MikeD. But I'm biased against Roodles ;)
:o
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Well, dig into it in a second anyway. I want to make sure I convey how unusual this is.

Generally, to get suspended on an interim basis, you have to do something along the lines of taking a literal crap, while high on a mixed cocktail of illicit substances, on the judge's desk.
-Dunford tweet
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
tek

Post by tek »

Parker says My Pillow doesn't tell Lindell what to say/do. Nichols asks if My Pillow has ever told Lindell to stop mentioning the company when he's talking about the election. Parker says the company has never tried to muzzle Lindell.
:think:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I think that's exactly the point.

So did Dershowitz have any contribution to the proceedings?
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm So did Dershowitz have any contribution to the proceedings?
The hearing isn't over yet, but none so far.

(Which isn't surprising.)
Image ImageImage
tek

Post by tek »

With any luck, he kept his underwear on.
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

bob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:03 pm
SuzieC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:46 pm So did Dershowitz have any contribution to the proceedings?
The hearing isn't over yet, but none so far.

(Which isn't surprising.)
Is there a live twitter feed on this. PLEEEEZE.
bob

Post by bob »

woodworker wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:11 pm Is there a live twitter feed on this. PLEEEEZE.
There is:
Image ImageImage
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

You can really hear their grifter roots in their arguments. Fraudsters and sleazy marketers must be salivating at their 'you should be able to say anything about anyone and let the people decide if it is true' ideas.

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”