Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

California Governor

Suranis

California Governor

Post by Suranis »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/us/p ... ernor.html
Caitlyn Jenner Announces Run for California Governor

Ms. Jenner, a Republican former Olympian and transgender activist, said on Friday that she was running to challenge Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat facing an all but certain recall election.
I'm just going to laugh and say nothing more.
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Re: California Governor

Post by bob »

Ms. Jenner, a Republican former Olympian and transgender activist, said on Friday that she was running to challenge Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat facing an all but certain recall election.
"For completeness," California's recall is a two-step process. The first question to the voters is whether to recall; the second is, if recalled, who will replace the recalled official.

So to say "running to challenge" isn't quite accurate. Yes, a high-profile candidate waiting in the wings may spur people to sign a petition for a recall. But many a recall-schemer has learned that someone else might swoop to claim the open office. Darrell Fucking Issa was the ringleader behind the last recall; he was already measuring the drapes in Sacramento when Schwarzenegger decided to claim the low-hanging fruit.
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Randy Quaid is running. :eek:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 pm Randy Quaid is running. :eek:
Well he is a celebrity. We've never gone wrong when electing a celebrity. Have we?
Il factotum
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

zekeb wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:00 am
SuzieC wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 pm Randy Quaid is running. :eek:
Well he is a creepy celebrity. We've never gone wrong when electing a creepy celebrity. Have we?
FIFY
He always reminded me of that creepy uncle that liked to give tight hugs and get you to sit on their laps. I never cared for him. :nope:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:41 am https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/us/p ... ernor.html
Caitlyn Jenner Announces Run for California Governor

I'm just going to laugh and say nothing more.
A recent poll from the Public Policy Institute of California found that just 40 percent of voters in the state supported a recall and more than half approved of Mr. Newsom’s performance.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

bob said
Darrell Fucking' Issa was the ringleader behind the last recall; he was already measuring the drapes in Sacramento when Schwarzenegger decided to claim the low-hanging fruit.
TBH, Ahnold isn’t the worst governor we ever had. He realized pretty early on that what the right was screaming about was largely BS political theater - specifically “all the waste and fraud” when CA was pretty much a lean machine. He didn’t hurt us.

Of course, he was married to a Kennedy so RINO.

I still shudder to think of a Gov. Darrell Fucking Issa administration. :sick:
bob

Post by bob »

LAT looked the signatures, and concluded, per capita, the recallers came from rural, conservative counties. That were not as impacted by COVID.

As for raw numbers, most of the signatures came from, unsurprisingly, the most populous counties.
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Might be good to list some candidates in the topic title for search, almost started a WTF Is Caitlyn doing? topic :lol:

Other than grifting, helping Gavin raise money, and being taken advantage of by Brad "Sticky Fingers" Parscale, not much point to this campaign. Although watching the GOP slam into walls over supporting her or not is pretty funny.
Caitlyn Jenner’s recall campaign goes silent in first week
By CARLA MARINUCCI 04/29/2021 11:28 PM EDT

OAKLAND — Caitlyn Jenner launched her gubernatorial campaign a week ago with a media splash that teased the audacious promise of shaking up state politics — and delivering big trouble to California Gov. Gavin Newsom. Since then, it’s been crickets. The reality TV star and transgender activist hasn't made a single TV appearance. She hasn't held a press conference or social media event. No rollout of key Republican endorsements. She doesn't have an issues page on her website, but offers ways to "donate" and buy "Caitlyn for California" merchandise. “If she doesn't come out and say something within the next several days, I think everyone moves on and says this is just some type of crank candidacy," said veteran GOP consultant Rob Stutzman, who was a principal adviser to former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger during his successful 2003 recall bid. Jenner is "an outsider now auditioning to run the largest state government in the country," Stutzman added. "You’ve got to give a speech, sit for interviews — and convince people that you can do it."
Jennifer Kerns, a former California Republican Party spokesperson and now a national radio talk show host with All-American Radio, said it’s mystifying that Jenner — a 1976 Olympic gold medalist introduced to a new generation of Americans on the reality TV hit "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" — isn't staying relevant every day in the age of social media after entering the race. “When you're launching a campaign, you need to be feeding the media and feeding the public ... you have a 24/7 news media cycle that you have to feed every single day," Kerns said. “And that is going to be a huge challenge ... all of the recall candidates have to hold people’s attention spans, now through October ... and remember that content is king." Case in point: Jenner was nearly forgotten Tuesday when "National Lampoon" actor Randy Quaid said he was "seriously considering" his own run for governor. Quaid, a supporter of former President Donald Trump, was trending by the end of the day on Twitter.
On social media, one of Jenner’s attempts to join California's fray revealed how difficult it is for a political neophyte to tackle state issues. Over the weekend, she slammed what she called “Gavin’s DAs” as the source of crime problems, a charge that drew immediate pushback from Democrats and political insiders because district attorneys are elected locally, not appointed by the governor. (Newsom also did not endorse San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin, the reformist in question; Newsom instead backed opponent Suzy Loftus in 2019.) Meanwhile, Jenner's entrance into the race has given Newsom a new fundraising pitch, and his campaign said he collected $300,000 in the first 36 hours after her announcement. Newsom has played heavily on Jenner's reliance on Trump advisers, including Brad Parscale, who was for a time Trump's 2020 campaign manager. Jenner took it in stride Tuesday, saying on Twitter, "You’re welcome, Gavin! I am glad I am such a fundraising asset to your team," adding a laughing emoji.
Besides fame, Jenner does start with personal wealth and has a vast social media audience — 3.5 million followers on Twitter and nearly 11 million on Instagram. She could leverage those accounts the same way Trump and other politicians have in recent years, though it's unclear how many of those followers are California voters or potential donors. But Newsom is quickly shoring up his defense — and benefiting from some strong political tailwinds at the moment. California has the lowest coronavirus infection rate in the nation and the Covid-19 vaccine is available to anyone 16 and older. Nearly every activity has resumed in some form, though some — like schools — remain largely scaled back from normal capacity. Families and friends have begun to socialize after being fully vaccinated.

Already, a new PPIC poll this week suggests the strongest evidence yet that Newsom is amassing the popular support to beat back a recall, finding 59 percent of likely voters approve of how Newsom has managed school reopening, and an equal share approves of how he has handled jobs and the economy. That has left more experienced GOP candidates — former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, businessman John Cox and former House Rep. Doug Ose — looking for ways to capture voters' attention. They remain active on social media, and Faulconer is making regular appearances on national and local television shows. He won't comment directly on Jenner but has made himself available and said he’s scheduling almost daily events to make his case. “Look I think, I think there's a reason why two million Californians signed this recall petition. There's a real sense of urgency to get our state back on the right track,’’ he said. “I think you're seeing a continued rise in anger and frustration from parents all across the state that are angry because our public schools have still not fully reopened.”

But Stutzman says all Republicans — including Jenner — better step up their game, and fast. “Since she’s announced, the other three Republicans have all apparently fallen off the face of the earth," Stutzman said. "Obviously Gavin — predictably — is getting some uptick ... and he's had a pretty good two months in which he switched it up and gotten on the road," more effectively using the governor’s office as a showcase to underscore those positive outcomes. “If Republicans are serious, they have got to get aggressive and get much sharper elbows about Newsom’’ — or face the possibility of becoming footnotes, he said. “If it were me, I would be running my own TV show on social media every day.”
https://www.politico.com/states/califor ... ek-1379029
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Parscale? Isn’t he the shirtless drunk wife beater?
bob

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:31 am Parscale? Isn’t he the shirtless drunk wife beater?
Yes. Allegedly. ;)
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

So the recall election is slated for next month. There are 46 candidates vying to be the replacement governor. The Democrats opted for a no-big-names strategy (to encourage a "no" vote on whether to recall), but the party can't stop nobodies from being on the ballot. So there are nine no-name Democrats on the ballot.

As for Republicans, their "big" names are (perennial candidate) John Cox, Larry Elder, former San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer, and "Businessperson/Entrepreneur" Caitlyn Jenner.

And, because it is California: Angelyne is running. :thumbsup:

My personal favorite is Musician/Entrepreneur/Father Nickolas Wildstar (who wanted to be Fesno's mayor last year).

"For completeness": FOX: California recall candidates slam Newsom, take shots at each other in first debate:
GOP candidates Cox, Faulconer, Kiley and Ose took the stage Wednesday -- while Newsom, Jenner and Elder stayed away

The four participants -- John Cox, Kevin Faulconer, Kevin Kiley and Doug Ose -- claimed Newsom had failed in his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, forcing businesses to close and allowing housing costs to soar.

Republicans Caitlyn Jenner and Larry Elder declined invitations to join the debate, according to FOX 11 of Los Angeles, which televised the event. Newsom did not respond to an invitation from the Richard Nixon Presidential Library, which hosted the debate.
Kiley is interesting; he's a young legislator who has landed some good blows against Newsom. He won't be California's next governor, but he looks to have a promising career.
Image ImageImage
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I just dropped my ballot in the mail with a NO vote on the recall.

Many of you will remember that I loathe, despise, and revile Gavin Newsom with all the heat of a blue hypergiant star.

I happen to hate dishonest, power grab, recall elections just this much —>||<— more, though, so there ya go.
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Ose had a heart attack, he's out of the race.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Soros' heart-attack ice-darts are gooooood.
Image ImageImage
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Federal lawsuit challenges California recall as unconstitutional
By JEREMY B. WHITE and DEBRA KAHN 08/16/2021 09:41 PM EDT

OAKLAND — Two California voters are challenging the legality of the state’s recall system less than a month before the Sept. 14 election, echoing concerns from constitutional scholars as Gov. Gavin Newsom fights for his political life.

A complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California argues that the state's recall provision violates the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution by allowing sitting governors to be replaced by candidates who have received fewer votes. The plaintiffs, Rex Julian Beaber and A.W. Clark, want a court order either prohibiting the recall election or adding Newsom's name to the replacement candidate list. Elections officials have already sent millions of ballots ahead of a state deadline today.
https://www.politico.com/states/califor ... yIPHKCr7j8
Image Image Image Image
bob

Post by bob »

The motion for injunctive relief. It argues not being able to vote for Newsom on the second ("who") question violates the 14th Amendment.

Plaintiffs are represented by Stephen Yagman. Over a decade ago, Yagman was convicted of various tax offenses and disbarred. Yet, around three months ago, his license was restored. :think:
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Does anyone think that Gov. Newsom is seriously in danger? Estiveo, you hate him, but what do you think? I ask because I am getting desperate fund raising appeals. However, I get desperate fund raising appeals from everyone, so maybe no big deal.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I think Newsom stays in office, but it's gonna be close.

It's definitely polling closer than when this whole debacle started.
Image Image Image Image
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:57 pm Does anyone think that Gov. Newsom is seriously in danger?
1. Recent polling suggests the whether-to-impeach question is tightening.

2. Republicans are highly motived to recall, while Democrats seem less so. GOTV in a lightly populated, off-year special election could make the difference.

And the winner of who-get-to-replace needs only a plurality; it could be a shockingly low number. And the current frontrunner is Larry Elder.

I also would not be surprised if a not insignificant percentage of the population believes the lieutenant government automatically becomes the governor if Newsom's recalled.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Dianne Feinstein ought to be some motivation for Dems to vote.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:26 pm Dianne Feinstein ought to be some motivation for Dems to vote.
She is, but the governor stands for election in 2022, so the window for a Republican governor nominating her successor is small; even then, the successor also would be up for election in 2022.

But, yes, a series of events could cause the Democrats to lose the Senate, which is why outsiders are campaigning against the recall.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

538 is tracking recall polls.

Presently "no" (keep Newsom) is barely leading (within the MoE).

Elder is the leading candidate to be the replacement (as he has been for basically most of the recall "campaign"). Paffrath (a Democrat) is a very distant second. (I say "distant" because, with 46 candidates on the ballot (as well as certified write-ins), it'll be hard for Paffrath to make up that gap.)
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Family values.
Elder’s ex-fiancee said he brandished a gun at her
Alexandra Datig, who broke off her engagement with the California gubernatorial candidate in 2015, describes a series of troubling encounters with him.
By CARLA MARINUCCI 08/19/2021 02:54 PM EDT

PACIFIC PALISADES, Calif. — Alexandra Datig, the former fiancee and longtime radio producer for California GOP gubernatorial candidate Larry Elder, says she broke off an 18-month engagement with the conservative talk show host in 2015 after he waved a gun at her while high on marijuana. Datig’s claim, which she regards as the culmination of a series of humiliating disputes that made her fearful for her safety and her ability to maintain her sobriety, comes as Elder has gained momentum in the recall to replace Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, with many observers counting him as the likeliest GOP alternative should voters decide to replace the incumbent.

But little is known about Elder’s personal life. Datig portrayed him as a marijuana user who would often become threatening or insistent with her, including in his repeated demands that she get a “Larry’s Girl” tattoo to show her devotion to him. The alleged gun incident occurred in the midst of a heated conversation as their relationship was unraveling, according to Datig. “He was in the bedroom, and I was standing by the door,” she said. “We talked to each other.’’ He became silent, she said, and then slowly “walked over to the nightstand, opened the door, took out the gun,’’ a .45 pistol. “And he checked if it was loaded — while I was talking,’’ she said. “He wanted to make sure I saw that he had it.”

“It was an act of silent scorn — and anger,’’ she said. “For a minute there ... I thought it was a Phil Spector moment,’’ Datig said, referencing the famed Hollywood record producer who shot and killed actress Lana Clarkson in his Hollywood mansion in 2003. “My fear was great, and I understood I needed to de-escalate.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/1 ... her-506286
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke

Post by Luke »

Have Brat on my private Clowns Twitter list, she's nutz. She's ready for the Elder Victory Party, which is next door to Orly Taitz for Senate's party HQ.

Brat Elder.JPG
Brat Elder.JPG (21.42 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Meanwhile, in the reality-based world:
Gavin Newsom recall election is turning into landslide, poll shows
SFGATE Sep. 2, 2021

For the second time this week, Gov. Gavin Newsom saw a very encouraging poll in the upcoming Sept. 14 California recall election. A SurveyUSA/San Diego Union-Tribune poll found Newsom beating back the recall by eight percentage points, and a Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC) poll released Wednesday night shows the governor leading by an even bigger margin.

The new poll, conducted among 1,706 Californians between Aug. 20 to Aug. 29, shows that 58% of likely voters plan to vote "no" on the first question (Shall Gavin Newsom be recalled?) while just 39% plan to vote "yes." Newsom, armed with an eight-to-one fundraising advantage, has dramatically increased voter outreach and engagement efforts over the course of the final month.

It's Newsom's most favorable poll in a while, as most polling from August showed a close race within five percentage points. If there's a silver lining for recall proponents, it's that the poll finds that an enthusiasm gap still exists between Democrats and Republicans, as 63% of those voting to remove Newsom said they were "more enthusiastic" than usual about voting, compared to just 37% of "no" voters who said the same.

PPIC polls have typically understated Democratic support in statewide elections. Their final poll of the 2020 presidential election showed Joe Biden leading Donald Trump by 26 percentage points, and Biden went on to win by 29 percentage points. Their final 2018 gubernatorial poll showed Newsom leading John Cox by 11 percentage points, and Newsom went on to win by 23 percentage points.
https://www.sfgate.com/gavin-newsom-rec ... 430710.php

538 polling:

9-4 Recall.JPG
9-4 Recall.JPG (117.71 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Recall 2.JPG
Recall 2.JPG (70.18 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Recall 3.JPG
Recall 3.JPG (53.78 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

How humiliating for Caitlyn.

Return to “Governors & State Elections”