Volkonski

Re: New Diseases - Coronavirus

Post by Volkonski »

The Associated Press
@AP
·
5m
Virus update:
• Jobless claims report could hit 7 million or higher.
• U.S. has the most virus cases with over 430,000.
• HHS: Protective equipment supply nearly depleted.
• World warned against Easter travel, gatherings.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Ted Lieu
@tedlieu
·
16h

US House candidate, CA-33
It appears the
@realDonaldTrump
Administration seized 500 ventilators that Colorado ordered. Then Trump gives back 100 and credits vulnerable GOP
@SenCoryGardner
If true, this is outrageous conduct by
@POTUS
. Does
@VP
know?

Trump is playing politics with people’s lives.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

HISD employee tests positive for COVID-19 after passing out laptops to students

https://abc13.com/society/hisd-employee ... s/6089215/
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Many parents, students, and staff are being asked to self-quarantine after an employee at a local high school tested positive for COVID-19.

Houston ISD confirmed a staff member at Madison High School tested positive for coronavirus.

The district said that particular employee helped distribute laptops at the school.

They are now asking parents and students who came and picked up laptops at the school between Monday, March 23 and Monday, April 6 to self-quarantine.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Geoff Bennett
@GeoffRBennett
·
33m
A sailor assigned to the USS Theodore Roosevelt has been transferred to ICU after being found unresponsive in his/her room in Guam,
@ckubeNBC
reports. The Navy says “details will be released when they become available.” To date, 416 sailors aboard the ship have tested positive.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Indigo wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:50 am

So be careful when considering what course to choose when it comes to instructions given to medical staff in advance of the outcome. You might do better than you think you will if given the chance; in the end I managed to escape nearly unscathed even after all I had been through. And had another chance at life.
Wow! Thanks Indigo!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

We're doomed.
Geoff Bennett
@GeoffRBennett
·
9m
NBC News has confirmed this reporting:
Quote Tweet

Ashley Parker
@AshleyRParker
· 9h
Trump is preparing to unveil a second, smaller economic task force for the coronavirus. Key players will be Mnuchin, Kudlow and new chief of staff Mark Meadows. W/ @jdawsey1 + @yabutaleb7. https://washingtonpost.com/politics/trump

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Coronavirus leaves federal stockpile of protective equipment nearly depleted
For the last month, health care workers across the nation have taken to social media to illustrate the shortages by taking selfies wearing home-sewn masks on their faces and trash bags over their scrubs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... d_nn_tw_ma
The Strategic National Stockpile is nearly out of the N95 respirators, surgical masks, face, shields, gowns and other medical supplies desperately needed to protect front-line medical workers treating coronavirus patients.

The Department of Health and Human Services told the Associated Press Wednesday that the federal stockpile was in the process of deploying all remaining personal protective equipment in its inventory.

The HHS statement confirms federal documents released Wednesday by the House Oversight and Reform Committee showing that about 90% of the personal protective equipment in the stockpile has been distributed to state and local governments.

HHS spokeswoman Katie McKeogh said the remaining 10% will be kept in reserve to support federal response efforts.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Federal Support Ends For Coronavirus Testing Sites As Pandemic Peak Nears

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... t=20200408
Some local officials are disappointed the federal government will end funding for coronavirus testing sites this Friday. In a few places those sites will close as a result. This as criticism continues that not enough testing is available.

In the Philadelphia suburbs, Montgomery County has a drive-through site that has tested 250 people a day since March 21.

"It has been a very successful site. We are hoping by the time it closes Friday afternoon that we will have tested a little over 5,000 individuals," says Dr. Valerie Arkoosh, who chairs the commission in the county of more than 825,000 people.

:snippity:

Arkoosh says local officials staffed the site and the federal government provided much-needed testing supplies and access to a lab. "This site came with a contract with LabCorp, who accepted 250 samples from this site every day," and she says the county is not able to secure the supplies and tests on its own.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:52 am
Ted Lieu
@tedlieu
·
16h

US House candidate, CA-33
It appears the
@realDonaldTrump
Administration seized 500 ventilators that Colorado ordered. Then Trump gives back 100 and credits vulnerable GOP
@SenCoryGardner
If true, this is outrageous conduct by
@POTUS
. Does
@VP
know?

Trump is playing politics with people’s lives.
If true, it will make one helluva anti-trump campaign ad.
ImageImageImage x4

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I'd like to believe they are switching focus to antibody testing, but I have a bad feeling these testing sites are getting shut down so they can slow down the case count. Like if it already starts slowing down this month, lowering the testing will make this appear more dramatic. I have 0 faith in the federal govt and at least 20 state govts to be able to lift quarantines while also preventing another wave.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sekrit Stuffs!
Courtney Kube✔@ckubeNBC
A sailor from the USS Teddy Roosevelt was found unresponsive in isolation on base in Guam & transferred to ICU today. Sailor tested positive for COVID-19 on March 30. As of today 416 sailors on the ship have tested positive. @TheRealCVN71 @USNavy @NBCNews

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Thanks for the responses.

CPR: yes it's valuable and sometimes effective but not often.

Ok, I loosely misused "ventilation" to mean only invasive intubated ventilation. I think my meaning was clear from context, apologies if it wasn't.

The point about invasive ventilation being needed when it's needed for other conditions is not relevant – the developing pattern appears to be that it's not very effective for Covid-19.

Indigo's story: well done, I'm glad you came through it but your personal history doesn't affect my view. You say you suffered horrendously; well, that's not for me. My life has been long enough, I'm not afraid of death, especially if I'm not going to know about it. I don't wish to undergo a long, painful, partial recovery and I don't have the family network to provide that support. I'm certainly not saying other people should do as I say, just that a peaceful death has attractions to me over a painful and restricted life. Each to their own.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Record number of new cases in Singapore. More than 2/3rds of yesterday's increase occurred at dormitories for foreign workers.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... ce=twitter
ScreenHunter_208 Apr. 09 09.27.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Indigo,

I'm glad the ventilator worked out well for you. It did for my brother, too, when he had to have it after cancer surgery and embolisms. It does lead to a lot of disorientation, too, as I remember. He pulled his out when he began to become more conscious, breaking a front tooth in the process. I think the doctors told us then that that happens about half the time people are on ventilators.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:05 am
Indigo,

I'm glad the ventilator worked out well for you. It did for my brother, too, when he had to have it after cancer surgery and embolisms. It does lead to a lot of disorientation, too, as I remember. He pulled his out when he began to become more conscious, breaking a front tooth in the process. I think the doctors told us then that that happens about half the time people are on ventilators.
Can confirm. My mother was on a ventilator a few years ago after having a flash pulmonary edema. Evidently the medical staff were having a discussion about her being ready to come off the ventilator when she preempted them by pulling it out. Messed with her vocal chords pretty good, so her voice was pretty much shot for a couple weeks afterward, in addition to the broken ribs from the CPR when she arrested.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:17 am
Just to be clear: I am not advocating abandoning CPR training!
CPR saved W2’s life. When it works, it’s miraculous.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

CBS News
@CBSNews
·
1m
Cuomo: "9/11 was supposed to be the darkest day in New York for a generation...We lose so many more New Yorkers to this silent killer. There was no explosion, but it was a silent explosion that just ripples through society with the same randomness, the same evil we saw on 9/11"

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/media/pe ... index.html
New York (CNN Business)Vice President Mike Pence's office has declined to allow the nation's top health officials to appear on CNN in recent days and discuss the coronavirus pandemic killing thousands of Americans, in an attempt to pressure the network into carrying the White House's lengthy daily briefings in full.

Pence's office, which is responsible for booking the officials on networks during the pandemic, said it will only allow experts such as Dr. Deborah Birx or Dr. Anthony Fauci to appear on CNN if the network televises the portion of the White House briefings that includes the vice president and other coronavirus task force members.

CNN often only broadcasts President Donald Trump's question and answer session, which sometimes includes the health care officials, live on-air.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

kate520

Post by kate520 »

:bighug:
What a story, Indigo! Glad you are still around. Thanks for this insight.

Are there NO other ways besides ventilation to oxygenate a patient? I’ve read that one suggestion is to re-engineer a regular hospital room to infuse its atmosphere with several times normal oxygen pumped through ventilation system as a way to keep them breathing.

The Army Corps of ‘engineers is a pretty remarkable organization. I think they can do just about anything. :lovestruck:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:05 pm
New York (CNN Business)Vice President Mike Pence's office has declined to allow the nation's top health officials to appear on CNN in recent days and discuss the coronavirus pandemic killing thousands of Americans, in an attempt to pressure the network into carrying the White House's lengthy daily briefings in full.

Pence's office, which is responsible for booking the officials on networks during the pandemic, said it will only allow experts such as Dr. Deborah Birx or Dr. Anthony Fauci to appear on CNN if the network televises the portion of the White House briefings that includes the vice president and other coronavirus task force members.

CNN often only broadcasts President Donald Trump's question and answer session, which sometimes includes the health care officials, live on-air.
Networks shouldn't show any of it live. They should show newsworthy highlights only.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Networks shouldn't show any of it live. They should show newsworthy highlights only.
ITA
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The top health officials working for the federal government are only a subset of the experts that are out there. If I were CNN, I'd be interviewing the non-federal government experts. Moreover, the medical professionals associated with the Trump administration are (potentially) tainted by their association with Trump.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Steven Dennis
@StevenTDennis

Coronavirus catastrophe in 3 numbers:

~15,000 dead

~17 million unemployed

~3 weeks

(The numbers could be significantly higher, given incomplete reporting of deaths and the MANY people unable to file via swamped & outdated state unemployment offices.)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Worrying. :?
Katie Rogers
@katierogers
Coronavirus May ‘Reactivate’ in Cured Patients, Korean CDC Says - Bloomberg

https://t.co/FfiQdTtU8Y?amp=1