On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Volkonski

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Volkonski »

MsDaisy wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 pm
Just finished my first virtual Jewish funeral. Our cousin in Philly who's mom died in a nursing home in NY from Covid. It was very moving.... RIP Loraine :brokenheart:
:bighug:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

An email from the local ExxonMobil retirees club-
Because of the effects of the coronavirus, we have cancelled the May 20 membership meeting, the June 17 membership meeting, and the June 20 BBQ.

If you are having trouble getting things like disinfectant wipes, the Walmart on Garth has a special shopping hour for senior citizens from 6-7 AM on Tuesday mornings where items like this can be found (at least they had wipes, hand sanitizer, etc this morning). You have to be over 65 and wear a mask to get in.
I commend this caution.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Sterling Municipal Library’s Hope Tree - Spreading encouragement during social distancing - VOD

https://www.click2houston.com/video/new ... ncing-vod/
This brilliant Shady Oak tree outside the Sterling Municipal Library in Baytown is meant to be a pillar of hope. The city has deemed this the Hope Tree—a place where people can leave messages of encouragement while still keeping social distance during this pandemic.
ScreenHunter_227 May. 15 11.10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

We officially went to Yellow today in most of Southwest PA. I don't see myself changing much, though, and I definitely will be wearing my mask and gloves. The governor is opening up more of the state next Friday, but two counties in south central PA and the area around Philadelphia are not ready yet. I expect there will be other counties announced next Friday. From what I saw on the news today, businesses seemed mostly to have spent the last week trying to figure out how to reopen safely. From the video I saw, most people seemed to be wearing masks, which I think is still a requirement.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Lani

Post by Lani »

:happydance: Car washed at the Car Wash FINALLY!!!! :happydance:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbs:

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Our neighbors had a birthday “party” for their teen daughter yesterday. Her aunt and uncle live across the street and they have lots of family in town.

Auntie unfurled a large, puffy, pink Happy Birthday banner across their fence. Mom and dad planted an enormous picture of smiling teen daughter in their ivy, festooned with many balloons.

Within just a few minutes a line of cars filled with families appeared and slowly drove by, each handing teen daughter cards/gifts. One carful squirted her with silly string as she leaned in for a hug; several handed her flowers. They sang the song coming and going (we live on a dead end street, everyone went by twice 😁). After the cars went home the two families had a short, distanced party, from opposite sides of the street.

It was sweet.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

We are without water for the second time in a week. :( Called Public Works. There is a water main break near us and repairs are underway.

Today is Mrs. V's birthday. Three of her closest friends will be doing a drive-by birthday party for her this afternoon. :-D

Mrs. V. also has a Zoom music play together later this afternoon. Zoom has made this social distancing much easier. :thumbs:

For Mrs. V's birthday we will be going off of the keto diet and ordering a Brooklyn style pizza for dinner tonight. :)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Congrats to Mrs V. Have a happy safe one.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

They put up a birthday banner and some balloons then drove by with squeaking rubber chickens. :lol:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Still no water. Someone posted this photo on our neighborhood's NextDoor page. That's about 1500 feet from us.
7fe9443884c5fcbf6f4f27504deb9eb1.jpeg.max800.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

When my sweetie was alive, he loved giving me restaurant gift cards. We loved eating out, so that made sense. However, I wasn't always good about remembering to put them in my purse, so I had quite a few in a drawer when my sweetie passed away.

One of our favorite restaurants whose claim to fame is their marvelous salad bar is not open during this pandemic, but they are selling gift cards. I'll buy some in order to support them.

As far as the gift cards I already have, I'm not using them for now. The restaurants all need the cash infusions, so the cards will wait.

But now some of the wonderful local restaurants are starting to announce that they will be closing permanently. Sigh. Yeah, I have a few of their gift cards, but, more than that, I'll miss them.

This pandemic sucks.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Water is back on. :)

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:37 pm
When my sweetie was alive, he loved giving me restaurant gift cards. We loved eating out, so that made sense. However, I wasn't always good about remembering to put them in my purse, so I had quite a few in a drawer when my sweetie passed away.

One of our favorite restaurants whose claim to fame is their marvelous salad bar is not open during this pandemic, but they are selling gift cards. I'll buy some in order to support them.

As far as the gift cards I already have, I'm not using them for now. The restaurants all need the cash infusions, so the cards will wait.

But now some of the wonderful local restaurants are starting to announce that they will be closing permanently. Sigh. Yeah, I have a few of their gift cards, but, more than that, I'll miss them.

This pandemic sucks.
Buffets, traditionally self-service, aren't going to reopen the same (if at all). I can see them changing to a cafeteria style setup where employees fill your plate(s) with requested items behind a glass shield and customers don't touch or breath on the platters or serving utensils.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

That's what the cruise ships will be doing. I won't miss it; I never ate at a buffet on a ship unless I had absolutely no choice.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Revisiting this with a second reply.

Technically, I don't think accounting practices allow a business to spend gift card revenue until redeemed. It's prepaid income (a liability ) on the books, not cash.

Anyone have thoughts?

Is there another way to support these businesses that are closed that don't end up a mess for them with accounting?

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:15 pm
Technically, I don't think accounting practices allow a business to spend gift card revenue until redeemed. It's prepaid income (a liability ) on the books, not cash.

Anyone have thoughts?

Is there another way to support these businesses that are closed that don't end up a mess for them with accounting?
Basic accounting would have you debit cash and credit some kind of Gift Certificates Outstanding liability account when you sell the gift card. So at that point it's just on your balance sheet. It has not hit revenue.

When the gift card holder redeems the gift card, the Gift Certificates Outstanding liability account is debited and the Sales income account is credited.

So until that gift card is redeemed, a liability does exist on your balance sheet, but I know of no rule which requires you to maintain an equal amount of cash on hand. In fact, you would normally be using cash to buy the food you would prepare which would be given to that customer when he used his gift card.

I haven't done basic accounting in decades, but my guess is that the seller of the gift card is free to use that infusion of cash for anything they want. If the company goes out of business, that liability would then become income, but probably more than offset by all of the going out of business expenses.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Lani

Post by Lani »

The Great Covid Ice Cream Shortage of 2020 continues....
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

jemcanada

Post by jemcanada »

Happy (belated) birthday, Mrs. V!

I hope you both enjoyed the pizza. :-D

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Lani wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:57 am

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Oregon has a glut of ice cream which is perfect for me because the strawberries wait for no one.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

I’m so pissed at my MrDaisy. Seriously what a dumbass! We’ve done a really good job isolating out here in the country. My grandkids come here 3 days a week and go nowhere else, except the family shop that is thankfully still working and also fairly well contained. Yesterday I was cutting grass out in the field when I saw a car come in the driveway. I didn’t recognize the car and was to far away to see who it was but a woman got out and took a baby out of the back seat and MrDaisy took them into the house.

MrDaisy is a well known retired GP who tends to just about everyone around here from time to time but I could not believe he was taking a sick baby into the house. I literally got a knot in my stomach. I just kept cutting grass until they came back out and left and I went straight to the house.

Me: Who was that?
Him: Jody
Me: Was the baby sick?
Him: Yes
Me: Did he have fever?
Him: He did have yes but it’s gone now.
Me: Did you wear a mask?
Him: No but he didn't cough
Me: Was he breathing at all?
Me walking away: WHAT a fucking dumbass!

So now we’re really in quarantine for the next two weeks and the kids can’t come over!
Birfers are toast

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:57 am

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Yet again, a choice was made. Ice cream over ears of corn.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

MsDaisy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 am
I’m so pissed at my MrDaisy. Seriously what a dumbass! We’ve done a really good job isolating out here in the country. My grandkids come here 3 days a week and go nowhere else, except the family shop that is thankfully still working and also fairly well contained. Yesterday I was cutting grass out in the field when I saw a car come in the driveway. I didn’t recognize the car and was to far away to see who it was but a woman got out and took a baby out of the back seat and MrDaisy took them into the house.

MrDaisy is a well known retired GP who tends to just about everyone around here from time to time but I could not believe he was taking a sick baby into the house. I literally got a knot in my stomach. I just kept cutting grass until they came back out and left and I went straight to the house.

Me: Who was that?
Him: Jody
Me: Was the baby sick?
Me: Did he have fever?
Him: He did have yes but it’s gone now.
Me: Did you wear a mask?
Him: No but he didn't cough
Me: Was he breathing at all?
Me walking away: WHAT a fucking dumbass!

So now we’re really in quarantine for the next two weeks and the kids can’t come over!
I have a similar problem with Hubs. He realizes there's a problem and he knows the drill. But he just can't be bothered. If I don't wrap him in bubble wrap beforehand, he doesn't get bubble wrapped.

I woke up in a panic this morning with a sore throat. Then realized I'd slept with my mouth open. This is our lives now.
ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Coronavirus”