Coronavirus Cancellations & Postponements / Travel & Events COVID-19

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Coronavirus Cancellations & Postponements / Travel & Events COVID-19

Post by Orlylicious »

There are going to be enormous hits if public events stop, Ultra and WMC are big revenue boosters for Miami. This topic is for news and info on travel and events to help with planning. It's going to be a tricky Summer travel season and lots of events and conferences are being cancelled.
Ultra Music Festival 2020 Reportedly "Postponed" Owing to Coronavirus Concerns
KAT BEIN | MARCH 4, 2020 | 6:14PM

The Miami Herald has reported this year's edition of Ultra Music Festival has officially been “suspended” by Miami city officials due to rising health safety concerns surrounding the coronavirus. Joe Carollo, City of Miami Commissioner for District 3, addressed the media today after a meeting with Ultra organizers. He was very particular with his words. “We're not saying 'canceling,'” he said in a video posted by the Herald. “We're saying 'Suspending to a later date when we have a better idea where we're heading with the coronavirus.'”

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez said the city is monitoring all statements by the CDC, medical examiner and the Florida Department of Health as the situation develops. Ultra declined to provide comment when contacted by New Times. Ultra's possible cancellation raises questions about whether other major events scheduled for this month like the Miami Open and Calle Ocho may also be scrapped. A tournament spokesman for the Miami Open tells New Times the sporting event will proceed as planned. “Our top priority is the health and safety of our fans, players and staff," the statement reads. "We are proceeding with our preparations for the 2020 Miami Open while monitoring the situation closely in partnership with local, state and federal health officials, as well as the ATP and WTA tours. We are also working with our partner Baptist Health and following CDC guidelines closely to ensure a safe environment for everyone involved in the tournament.”

This development may also impact Winter Music Conference, the long-running annual electronic music convention that's set to hold its 35th edition this year; WMC officially partnered with Ultra in 2018. Ultra's reported postponement may also cause fallout for the dozens of satellite parties and events that had been planned to take place during Miami Music Week. Ultra's reported postponement may also produce economic uncertainty for many Miami businesses. Hotel occupancy during Miami Music Week and Ultra is usually around 90 percent, making it one of the busiest weeks for tourism during the calendar year. Nightclubs also often depend on MMW to fill their annual coffers before the summer slowdown. Ultra alone has an economic impact of $79 million for the county. Rumors of a possible Ultra postponement began to swirl this week as public requests for reconsideration began to circulate. Yesterday, Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez sought to quell rumors that Ultra was being cancelled because of Coronavirus fears. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency on Monday after several coronavirus cases were confirmed in Florida.

Ultra is regarded as an international event for the dance music world, and annually draws attendees from more than 100 countries. This year's edition of the festival had already proven controversial: in January, a small group of downtown residents who disagreed with the City's decision to allow the event to proceed in Bayfront Park filed suit against the city. The 21-year-old festival has spent most of its history in an open-air downtown venue. However, it was forced to move to Virginia Key in 2019 after the City failed to renew its license. The move was announced just four months before the event, leading to rushed logistical planning and subsequent outcry over numerous transportation blunders.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/music/ult ... s-11581202
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Coronavirus Cancellations & Postponements / Travel & Events COVID-19

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Alaska Airlines just sent me an email telling me it's safe to travel but that if I'm sick :nooo: don't do it. And that any ticket purchased after February 27 for future travel is fully refundable. And, oh yeah, Alaska is having a big sale on tickets since EVERYONE IS PANICKING! :panic:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm on a number of Viking cruise feeds on Facebook. At first, they were reluctant to cancel anything. Now, they are letting anyone who has any hesitations about traveling right now to cancel with no penalty. Some people are canceling; others are full speed ahead. A lot of the concern is more the disruptions to air travel and tourist sites more than worry about the actual chance of getting sick.

We have three trips planned this year, June, August, November. I'm biding my time. I'll have to make some decisions by May.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:48 pm
Alaska Airlines just sent me an email telling me it's safe to travel but that if I'm sick :nooo: don't do it. And that any ticket purchased after February 27 for future travel is fully refundable. And, oh yeah, Alaska is having a big sale on tickets since EVERYONE IS PANICKING! :panic:
I got the same email. Flying Alaska next week to a trade show that no one will attend. Recommended to my boss we cancel but denied cuz he wants a company paid trip to US (and is already here). Oh well - will be a very boring week.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Entertainment industry is getting hit hard, Mission Impossible was shooting in Italy and had to stop production. Now SXSW.
Updated 50 mins ago - Health
Netflix and Apple the latest to pull out of SXSW over coronavirus concerns

Netflix is the latest big name to withdraw from this month's SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, amid concerns about the spread of the novel coronavirus, the streaming giant confirmed to Axios Wednesday night.

Details: Apple told Axios earlier in the evening that it was withdrawing from the event.

SXSW organizers insist the event will go ahead despite a petition signed by more than 45,000 people by Wednesday night and the withdrawal of Apple, and other big names from the festival — including Twitter, Facebook, TikTok and Amazon.
The big picture: Other major conferences have been canceled in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

IBM canceled Think, its biggest conference which drew 30,000 people to San Francisco last year. It also suspended most employee domestic travel and participation in large conferences.
Microsoft is encouraging all employees in the Seattle area in Washington — which has emerged as a major outbreak location in the U.S. — to work from home.
TED said it would either delay its conference to July or move to an online format, as first reported by Axios.
https://www.axios.com/apple-withdraws-s ... 63231.html
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby and The Kid are flying to Colorado to meet the Firstborn Son for the annual Snowboard Until You Drop Festival. Hubby switched from skiing to snowboarding many moons back cuz of arthritic knees.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

I feel my scheduled Italy trip (3/17-4/1) slipping through my fingers. Damn it, I was really looking forward to this. Was going to rent a car while there to visit some ancient Etruscan sites, abandoned castles, and cute hamlets in the hills north of Rome. Will hopefully get there in October.

#firstworldproblem ;)

It breaks my heart thinking of what this is going to do to Italy's economy.
Am I being detained?

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Highway traffic in the Portland area was noticeably lighter yesterday. Shorter and faster slow downs in the usual areas, and full speed elsewhere.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

And of course, I pulled the trigger on a 5 might non-refundable hotel in NOLA the damn day before JazzFest started discussing the possibility of it affecting the festival in some way.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:57 am
And of course, I pulled the trigger on a 5 might non-refundable hotel in NOLA the damn day before JazzFest started discussing the possibility of it affecting the festival in some way.
Hopefully, a lot of hotels and others in the tourist industry will have to make changes to their usual policies as this goes on. If they want good will, it won't be much of an option.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Bill_G wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 am
Highway traffic in the Portland area was noticeably lighter yesterday. Shorter and faster slow downs in the usual areas, and full speed elsewhere.
Same in Seattle.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Hopefully, a lot of hotels and others in the tourist industry will have to make changes to their usual policies as this goes on. If they want good will, it won't be much of an option.
This NOLA, a city with 2 dead bodies hanging over Canal st during Mardi Gras. They won't give a shit about good will.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:04 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
This NOLA, a city with 2 dead bodies hanging over Canal st during Mardi Gras. They won't give a shit about good will.
I hope you're wrong for your sake, but you would know better than I.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

AHEM.

We have plans to travel to Orlando in May. I want to meet a whole bunch of Floridian Fogbow Peepul on that trip.

So they better not close Disney World or wherever ol' Wifehorn wants to go. I won't have it! :cussing:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

HIMSS conference in Orlando next week is canceled.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/05/cov ... onference/
The health care technology trade group HIMSS has canceled its annual conference for the first time in its nearly 60-year history over concerns about the rapid spread of Covid-19, erasing tens of millions of dollars in investment in the annual gathering planned for next week.

The leadership of the conference announced the decision Thurday, following a steady stream of cancellations by large exhibitors and increasingly urgent warnings from public health authorities about the threat posed by large gatherings.

“It is now clear that cancellation is unavoidable in order to meet HIMSS’ obligation to protect the health and safety of the global HIMSS community, employees and local residents, as well as for the healthcare providers tasked with keeping our U.S. and global communities healthy,” the organization wrote in a statement posted on its website.

:snippity:

The annual gathering typically brings more than 45,000 people to Orlando from more than 90 countries, and about 37,000 had registered this year. President Trump was scheduled to speak at the event Monday on his administration’s plans to increase data-sharing in the health care industry and make it easier for patients to get access to their medical records.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:29 pm
AHEM.

We have plans to travel to Orlando in May. I [highlight]want to meet a whole bunch of Floridian Fogbow Peepul on that trip[/highlight].

So they better not close Disney World or wherever ol' Wifehorn wants to go. I won't have it! :cussing:
:mememe: :cheer1: :happydance:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:29 pm
AHEM.

We have plans to travel to Orlando in May. I want to meet a whole bunch of Floridian Fogbow Peepul on that trip.

I'll drive to Orlando, but if it's the weekend of May 15/16, I'll be in DC protesting at the Kremlin Annex.
ImageImageImage x4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

A cruise ship that carried a man who died from coronavirus is headed back to California with 2,500 passengers

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/health/c ... index.html
The ship is now near the California coast, but must remain at sea as it awaits coronavirus test kits to be delivered by helicopter.

"Public health officials have advised that no guests will be permitted to disembark until all results have been received," Princess Cruises said in a statement.

But not all passengers will be tested.

:snippity:

"There are fewer than 100 guests and crew identified for testing, including all in-transit guests (guests who were on the previous Mexico voyage and remained on board for the current Hawaii voyage), those guests and crew who have experienced influenza-like illness symptoms on this voyage, and guests currently under care for respiratory illness."
The only passengers confined to their rooms are the 62 who were also on the previous voyage. That might be a mistake since there has been plenty of time for some the newer passengers to become infected. It could spread to more of them while the testing is done.

About 20 passengers and crew have flu-like symptoms.

Chilidog

Fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic

Post by Chilidog »

This thread is to discuss the non-medical issues that related to coronavirus.

To start with, consider the tourism industry.

While I expect all sectors of the tourism industry to take a hit, i think that the cruise ship sector is especially in trouble.

This may well be an existential crisis for that sector.

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Oops. Didn't see this thread.

Mods, can you delete the other one I started?

Chilidog

Re: Fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic

Post by Chilidog »

Yeah.

You posted, now I can't delete this.

Mods?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Anyway....

I think that this is quite possibly an extinction level event for the cruise ship industry as it exists right now.

What's going to happen to the Diamond Princess?

Even if they spend millions disinfecting and remodeling it, will anyone really want to sail on it again?

I wonder if the insurance on those ships covers infectious disease outbreaks?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

When I look at those behives they call cruise ships, I cringe. Little wonder why you find so many that have several outbreaks so often.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ASG Technologies
@ASGTec
·
8m
Due to ongoing concerns about the coronavirus (#COVID19),
@Gartner_inc
has decided to postpone its #GartnerDA Summit in #London, initially scheduled for March 9-11. We will share the new Summit date as soon as its rescheduled. More from #Gartner here: http://ow.ly/aPXI30qnmpI

Return to “Coronavirus”