Impeachment #2

GreatGrey

Impeachment #2

Post by GreatGrey »

Hmmm, 232 votes for Impeachment.

Where have I seen that number before?

Oh yeah...
F221FBCD-8380-45E8-96AE-A255FA238C7D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
AndyinPA

Impeachment #2

Post by AndyinPA »

:-D

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
poplove

Impeachment #2

Post by poplove »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:12 pm
poplove wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:00 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:57 pm Corporate donors have to be careful not to get too political, but I wonder if any companies are going to stop contributing to anyone who voted against impeachment. Encouraging sedition resulting in the murder of a cop isn’t on brand for many.
The answer is yes. I've see a lot of twitter posts and several articles as the list continues to grow.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/business ... index.html
That affects those who voted against certification. I wonder about impeachment, which is more political, but sedition usually isn’t on the core values list.
My bad. :doh: There's so much happening my brain's a little fuzzy. I'll keep an eye out for impeachment specific lists.

Image x3
Addie

Impeachment #2

Post by Addie »

WaPo: McConnell breaks with Trump, says he’ll consider convicting him in Senate trial

The bipartisan impeachment vote in the House against President Trump on Wednesday set up a politically explosive reckoning for Senate Republicans, who spent four years enabling Trump’s behavior but in the wake of last week’s Capitol riot are grappling with how — or whether — to punish him with just seven days left in office.

The most striking position came from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who said Wednesday that he will consider convicting Trump on inciting the attempted insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6 — a remarkable break between the two men who worked in lockstep for four years, even as the majority leader continually deflected questions about Trump’s untoward conduct and rhetoric.

It was also a dramatic shift from his position during Trump’s first impeachment a year ago, when he publicly stressed that he was “not an impartial juror” and privately worked in concert with White House officials to map out the president’s eventual acquittal in the Senate.

“While the press has been full of speculation, I have not made a final decision on how I will vote and I intend to listen to the legal arguments when they are presented to the Senate,” McConnell said in a message to his colleagues, an excerpt of which was released by his office.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Addie

Impeachment #2

Post by Addie »

CNN: Trump has told staff not to pay Rudy Giuliani over irritation at being impeached again

President Donald Trump, irritated at being impeached for a second time, has told people to stop paying Rudy Giuliani's legal fees, a person familiar with the matter tells CNN, though aides were not clear if the President was serious about his instructions given he's lashing out at nearly everyone after the day's events.

Trump became the first president in US history to be impeached twice on Wednesday, one week after a mob stormed the US Capitol following a speech by the President that excoriated his supporters to fight against the counting of the electoral votes that would affirm President-elect Joe Biden's win. The insurrection left five people dead, including one Capitol Police officer, and has left the nation's capital and state capitols around the country preparing for potential violence as Biden is set to be inaugurated next week.

Trump has been blaming his longtime personal attorney and many others for the predicament he now finds himself in, though he has not accepted any responsibility in public or in private, people familiar with his reaction told CNN. Giuliani is still expected to play a role in Trump's impeachment defense but has been left out of most conversations thus far. ...

One White House adviser told CNN that "everybody's angry at everyone" inside the White House, with the President being upset because he thinks people aren't defending him enough.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
neonzx

Impeachment #2

Post by neonzx »

Addie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 am
CNN: Trump has told staff not to pay Rudy Giuliani over irritation at being impeached again
Oh, Trump was going to pay before the impeachment thing? :roll:
Rudy should have done some due diligence and checked with El Paso.
:violin: :-

Turtle

Impeachment #2

Post by Turtle »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm On another, related question, it has been reported that Trump has no legal or political strategy to fight impeachment.

Do you think that there is any chance that he won't bother to mount a defense? He might simply decide that conviction at the hands of the democrats will be some sort of badge of honor with his base. Or will his ego demand that he contest it?

I've heard that he has selected Rudy to handle his defense in the Senate trial. Is that an indication that he doesn't take it seriously?

I also predict that, if he is convicted, the base, and perhaps Trump himself, will tweet* up a storm claiming that the bar from public office is invalid because he wasn't president at the time he was sentenced, and that he can and will run again in 2024.

* or wherever they find a place to vent their hate.
They could argue it wasn't his intention, but that is gonna fall apart as soon as the tapes are played. Outside groups like sleeping giants and lincoln project are running a pressure campaign against big donors. And he is just now talking about stiffing Rudy, there isn't really an upside to taking the case. If I were Jared, I would probably check the nut section here at the fogbow and start contacting some of those folks- a lot of them are still doing time, maybe they will represent Donny Two Times in exchange for a pardon on Tuesday.

ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Impeachment #2

Post by ZekeB »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:21 am
Oh, Trump was going to pay before the impeachment thing? :roll:
Rudy should have done some due diligence and checked with El Paso.
:violin: :-
Initiate loser lawsuits at the direction of loser client and then get stiffed. Take him to court, Rudy. We'll see how brilliant you really are.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
tek

Impeachment #2

Post by tek »

Senator Spineless McTurtle is working both sides of the street on his impeachment vote.

I'm sure he's listening carefully to the evidence his constituents voters donors to determine the validity of the impeachment case.

There's no way back
from there to here
RoadScholar

Impeachment #2

Post by RoadScholar »

President Donald Trump, irritated at being impeached for a second time, has told people to stop paying Rudy Giuliani's legal fees, a person familiar with the matter tells CNN, though aides were not clear if the President was serious about his instructions given he's lashing out at nearly everyone after the day's events.

Trump became the first president in US history to be impeached twice on Wednesday, one week after a mob stormed the US Capitol following a speech by the President that excoriated his supporters to fight against the counting of the electoral votes that would affirm President-elect Joe Biden's win. The insurrection left five people dead, including one Capitol Police officer, and has left the nation's capital and state capitols around the country preparing for potential violence as Biden is set to be inaugurated next week.

Trump has been blaming his longtime personal attorney and many others for the predicament he now finds himself in, though he has not accepted any responsibility in public or in private, people familiar with his reaction told CNN. Giuliani is still expected to play a role in Trump's impeachment defense but has been left out of most conversations thus far. ...

One White House adviser told CNN that "everybody's angry at everyone" inside the White House, with the President being upset because he thinks people aren't defending him enough.
Shouldn’t that be “exhorted?” :think:

Trump should be excoriated for doing so.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Dave at Sea

Impeachment #2

Post by Dave at Sea »

6 days 6 hours 6 minutes have just passed and nothing of note except this post ;)

Uninformed

Impeachment #2

Post by Uninformed »

A “Freudian”(?) slip from yesterday’s “message from the President”, or just a result of being unable to read the script?

“...but I cannot emphasise that there must be no violence, no lawbreaking, no vandalism of any kind...”

Dave at Sea

Impeachment #2

Post by Dave at Sea »

His cultists will believe that he supports their violence etc.

This is their start message

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Impeachment #2

Post by fierceredpanda »

Trump doesn't want to pay his lawyer.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

June bug

Impeachment #2

Post by June bug »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:59 am A “Freudian”(?) slip from yesterday’s “message from the President”, or just a result of being unable to read the script?

“...but I cannot emphasise that there must be no violence, no lawbreaking, no vandalism of any kind...”
:like: Precisely what I've been wondering!

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Impeachment #2

Post by fierceredpanda »

Also, Trump being pissed at Rudy comes at an awkward time for Rudy, seeing as Rudy kind of wants a get-out-of-jail-free card from Trump.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Bill_G

Impeachment #2

Post by Bill_G »

RoadScholar wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 am
Shouldn’t that be “exhorted?” :think:

Trump should be excoriated for doing so.
Exhorted would be a better choice.

Addie

Impeachment #2

Post by Addie »

Daily Beast: Trump Rants in Near-Empty White House: I'll 'Never' Say Biden Won

While the president rages at his second impeachment, his staff has lost the will to fight.
CNN: Impeachment ramifications are just beginning to unfold

RTH10260

Impeachment #2

Post by RTH10260 »

Dave at Sea wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:39 am 6 days 6 hours 6 minutes have just passed and nothing of note except this post ;)
You know the deal - a picture or it didn't happen :!:

;)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Impeachment #2

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Turtle wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 am :snippity:
If I were Jared, I would probably check the nut section here at the fogbow and start contacting some of those folks- a lot of them are still doing time, maybe they will represent Donny Two Times in exchange for a pardon on Tuesday.
Ima stealing that!

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
Addie

Impeachment #2

Post by Addie »

Good overview
BBC: Trump impeachment: President faces Senate trial after historic second charge

RTH10260

Impeachment #2

Post by RTH10260 »

IMHO I would like to see the leader of the Senate would drop his reservations and push the Senate impeachment vote thru on January 19, even if it were only for symbolic value.

noblepa

Impeachment #2

Post by noblepa »

I just saw an article on CNN's website, explaining that impeachment doesn't necessarily bar Trump from future office. That's fine. A lot of people aren't all that familiar with that part (or perhaps any part) of the Constitution.

I think that we here at TFB are better informed than that. We know that, if he is convicted, a separate vote would be taken to bar him.

If he is, in fact, convicted, is there any chance that the Senate might NOT vote to bar him from future office?

I can see Senate republicans trying to cut some sort of deal: "We'll vote to convict (which is mostly symbolic, since he will already be out of office), if you promise not to vote to bar him from future office". They might do that to try to have their cake and eat it too, by saying to those who are disgusted with Trump that they convicted him, but at the same time saying to his base, 'See you in 2024'".

There may be enough republican votes in the Senate to convict without such a deal, but if it is close, such a deal might put it over the top. After all, if fewer than 17 republicans vote to convict, Trump gets off scot-free. The democrats might make a devil's bargain to at least get a conviction.

Jeez, now they've got me engaging in Machiavellian thinking!

SLQ

Impeachment #2

Post by SLQ »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:27 pm IMHO I would like to see the leader of the Senate would drop his reservations and push the Senate impeachment vote thru on January 19, even if it were only for symbolic value.
I don't think they can do that without a trial.

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
chancery

Impeachment #2

Post by chancery »

SLQ wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:27 pm IMHO I would like to see the leader of the Senate would drop his reservations and push the Senate impeachment vote thru on January 19, even if it were only for symbolic value.
I don't think they can do that without a trial.
The Senate has pretty broad power to set its own rules for an impeachment trial, and it's thinkable to me that it could provide for summary proceedings. That said, I don't think it would be a good idea, particularly since it would give an excuse for an acquittal vote to Republican senators who might otherwise consider voting to convict.

Like many people, I was frustrated at first by the amount of time it took for the House to go through the political and parliamentary process for the impeachment, but having seen the result I think the process was necessary.

Return to “Impeachment”