Gregg

Re: Trump Impeachment: Retaliation and Vengeance

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:03 am
Foggy wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:40 am
Plus, law school teaches the consumption of alcohol in mass quantities. :P
Funny you should mention that because a medieval history I read (about the 1300s? It's been a while) mentioned English cities plagued at night and in the wee hours by hordes of drunken, destructive law students.
You should have seen Clare Market in the 90s. :bag:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Yes even then Stern was not a young man.
???????????????

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

GreatGrey wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:33 am
Remember when the administration cancelled the Trusted Traveler program for international arrivals into New York?

Well it turns out (SHOCKED I am) that they were lying.

Now there’s some serious begging to a judge to please forget what we said before.

Looks like begging didn’t work.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

DOJ lawyers: :sharky;

Me: :popcorn:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

much ado

Post by much ado »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:13 pm
DOJ lawyers: :sharky;

Me: :popcorn:
What are the possible legal outcomes? I don't have a clue.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dunno about legal outcomes but sure wish permanent unemployment were in some of their futures.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

much ado wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:47 pm
What are the possible legal outcomes? I don't have a clue.
Well, first and most obviously is this: The Government has asked the judge to dismiss the lawsuit as moot because DHS has reversed the policy that the whole case is about, so New York has already won the case. They were asking the judge to enjoin the DHS from implementing the new policy, and now there's nothing to enjoin. Based on this scheduling order, I would say the judge is not going to do that yet. He may do it later, but right now he wants to document every single dishonest or misleading statement in the Government's pleadings. If all he does is make a record of the Government's perfidy and then dismiss the case as moot, I would probably be happy. But he could, I suppose, grant the plaintiff's motion for summary judgment anyway, in order to prevent DHS from changing its mind again, re-implementing the policy, and forcing New York to sue again.

If the plaintiff in this case were a private party, I would say the Government should be prepared to pay legal fees, because that's frequently the remedy in these sorts of situations. A plaintiff will say "Judge, we wouldn't have had to litigate all of these issues but for the lack of candor with the court by the other party, so we're asking to be made whole for the expense of paying our lawyers to fight it all out." I haven't paid enough attention to see if New York hired private attorneys to help with this lawsuit. If they did, they may be able to ask for legal fees. Certainly a private party to a case who engaged in a pattern of dishonesty like this would be bracing for sanctions at this point.

I want to make clear that, at this time, I see no evidence to suggest the AUSAs from SDNY are lying when they assert that DHS was lying to them. These are line AUSAs, not political hacks from Bill Barr's DOJ. Line AUSAs have to stand in front of the same judges day after day, and aren't going to risk damaging their reputation for integrity over something like this. It appears DHS mislead their own attorneys as well as the plaintiffs and the court. Whatever else happens, the line attorneys for the Government should not be sanctioned personally unless evidence comes to light that indicates they did in fact know that their pleadings were untrue at the time they submitted them.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

much ado

Post by much ado »

Thanks, frp!

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Does that mean we can't burn Bill Barr at the stake?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Gregg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 pm
Wait a day or two.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:00 pm
First we need be concerned what kind of noxious gases he would give off...

No, we need to use one of those bio-hazard incinerators...
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

No, absolutely not. I don't even want him burned at the stake, truth be told.

I much prefer the way King Phillip the Fair had Demolay and the other Templars killed, roasting.

They impaled them on a spit, skilled creaftsman who could do this without damaging any vital organs, and roasted them over low charcoal. It often took 3 or 4 days for them to die. I'm willing to risk whatever it might do to the ozone layer if we can pcik, say, 50 of them for this. We could do it on Pay Per Veiw and maybe feed the hungry with the money.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... sbQOF7jZCV
Opinions
Alexander Vindman: Coming forward ended my career. I still believe doing what’s right matters.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Kendra wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am
Opinions
Alexander Vindman: Coming forward ended my career. I still believe doing what’s right matters.

Every time I think about IMPOTUS’s pettiness toward Vindman I get livid, especially when I remember that he also made sure his twin brother, who had done nothing at all, also had to leave. :smokeears: :torches:
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Oddly enough in the Americas they didn't tend to burn people at the steak (Medium rare). Witches, heretics, traitors and other undesirables tended to be hanged instead.

[/historical note]
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Sunrise wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:41 am
Kendra wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 am
Opinions
Every time I think about IMPOTUS’s pettiness toward Vindman I get livid, especially when I remember that he also made sure his twin brother, who had done nothing at all, also had to leave. :smokeears: :torches:
I also hold everyone else in gov't that let this happen responsible.

Return to “Impeachment”