RTH10260

Re: Plant, Insect, Bird, Fish & Animal Populations

Post by RTH10260 »

h/t Mr. V.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Byte: Sharks Are Evolving to Walk on Land

Four newly-discovered species of shark are capable of trotting around on land, using four fins as stubby legs.

They’re the most recently-evolved types of sharks known to science, according to CNET. And while they still live in the water, using their fins to crawl across coral reefs, they can briefly wriggle across dry land to migrate from one tide pool to another.

This means there are now nine known species of walking sharks, according to research published Tuesday in the journal Marine and Freshwater Research. And while a shark that can march out of the ocean may seem like it was plucked straight out of a nightmare, the scientists behind the discovery say that humanity is safe — for now.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

tencats

Post by tencats »

:crying: :x
Mexico: Homero Gómez González, Mexico’s monarch butterfly defender, found dead
Thu 30 Jan 2020 | https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... story.html
MEXICO CITY — Homero Gómez González, a former logger who became one of central Mexico's most prominent defenders of the region's monarch butterfly population, was found dead Wednesday.

Gómez González disappeared Jan. 13, sending a shock wave through communities of environmental conservationists in the United States and Mexico. Local authorities created search teams, and the state attorney general launched an investigation. Almost immediately, his fellow activists suspected loggers and criminal groups whom Gómez González might have upset in his conservation efforts.

Gómez González was found floating in a well near the butterfly sanctuary he had spent decades working to preserve, according to Miguel Angel Cruz, who succeeded Gómez González as commissioner of the community of El Rosario. The cause of death is not yet known.

:snippity:

For as long as anyone can remember, millions of monarch butterflies have spent their winters on a few remote hilltops in the Mexican state of Michoacán. But logging in the region nearly destroyed their habitat, a convergence of geography and landscape that might have been impossible to replicate.

The Mexican government eventually outlawed logging in the area, giving new life to the monarch butterflies, but the restriction created enormous tension between local loggers and conservationists. Between 2005 and 2006, 461 hectares in the region were lost to illegal logging.

Addie

Post by Addie »

:crying:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Addie wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 pm
:crying:
:yeah:

:madguy:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Bumblebees' decline points to mass extinction – study
Populations disappearing in areas where temperatures are getting hotter, scientists say

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... tion-study
Bumblebees are in drastic decline across Europe and North America owing to hotter and more frequent extremes in temperatures, scientists say.

A study suggests the likelihood of a bumblebee population surviving in any given place has declined by 30% in the course of a single human generation. The researchers say the rates of decline appear to be “consistent with a mass extinction”.

Peter Soroye, a PhD student at the University of Ottawa and the study’s lead author, said: “We found that populations were disappearing in areas where the temperatures had gotten hotter. If declines continue at this pace, many of these species could vanish forever within a few decades.”

The team used data collected over a 115-year period on 66 bumblebee species across North America and Europe to develop a model simulating “climate chaos” scenarios. They were able to see how bumblebee populations had changed over the years by comparing where the insects were now to where they used to be.
Bumblebees pollinate crops including tomatoes, squash and berries.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

India's bird population 'going down sharply'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-ind ... ow_twitter
The State of India's Birds report relied on the observations of more than 15,000 birdwatchers who helped assess the status of 867 birds.

It found the greatest decline in the numbers of eagles, vultures, warblers and migrating shorebirds.

But the population of peafowl, the national bird, has increased significantly.

Hunting and habitat loss are the two main reasons behind the decline. "Collision" with electricity lines, according to the study, is a "prime current threat" to birds.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.chron.com/news/article/US-m ... 319758.php
US moves forward with plan to end wild bird protections

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — The Trump administration moved forward Friday with plans to scale back a century-old law protecting most American wild bird species despite warnings that billions of birds could die as a result.

Officials said in a draft study of the proposal that it could result in more deaths of birds that land in oil pits or collide with power lines or other structures.

More than 1,000 species are covered under the law, and the changes have drawn a sharp backlash from organizations that advocate on behalf of an estimated 46 million U.S. birdwatchers.
:brickwallsmall: :crying: :sick:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Democrats need not look far for additional campaign material :doh:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

While I'm at it:

https://www.wbur.org/earthwhile/2020/06 ... KKE3fl6Y8w
President Trump announced Friday that he will remove protections on the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument, a nearly 5,000-square-mile area southeast of Cape Cod that has been closed to most commercial fishing since 2016.

"We're are reopening the Northeast Canyons and the Seamounts marine region to commercial fishing," Trump said at a roundtable in Bangor, Maine. Trump called the existing regulations "ridiculous" and "terrible."

"Under the last administration, commercial fishermen and Maine lobstermen were suddenly informed that nearly 5,000 square miles of ocean would be closed to commercial fishing," Trump said. "This action was deeply unfair."

Trump also announced the formation of a task force to identify opportunities to open foreign markets to American seafood exports, and said his administration was undertaking "an accelerated review and reduction of all unnecessary regulations on the seafood industry."
:brickwallsmall: :crying: :sick:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian: Migratory river fish populations plunge 76% in past 50 years

Decline in species such as salmon harms entire ecosystems and livelihoods, say researchers

Populations of migratory river fish around the world have plunged by a “catastrophic” 76% since 1970, an analysis has found.

The fall was even greater in Europe at 93%, and for some groups of fish, with sturgeon and eel populations both down by more than 90%.

Species such as salmon, trout and giant catfish are vital not just to the rivers and lakes in which they breed or feed but to entire ecosystems. By swimming upstream, they transport nutrients from the oceans and provide food for many land animals, including bears, wolves and birds of prey.

The migratory fish are also critical for the food security and livelihoods of millions of people around the world, while recreational fishing is worth billions of dollars a year. The causes of the decline are the hundreds of thousands of dams around the world, overfishing, the climate crisis and water pollution.

The scientists said the situation may be even bleaker than it seemed, as many declines began before 1970. Populations of sturgeon in the Great Lakes of North America, for example, have dropped by 95% from historic levels. Furthermore, suitable data has not been gathered on species in some of the world’s most biodiverse rivers such as the Mekong, Congo, Amazon and Yangtze, where researchers fear there will be hundreds of fish extinctions in the coming decades.

The average fall in populations was 84% in Latin America, while there has been a 59% decrease in Asia-Oceania, although there is limited data there and not enough from Africa to determine any reliable trend. In North America, the fall was less dramatic, at 28%. This is probably because large declines occurred before 1970, but also as a result of a growing number of dams being removed.

“For migratory fish, there’s nothing worse than a dam,” said Zeb Hogan, at the University of Nevada and an author of the new report. He said the good news was that fish could return quickly: “Almost without exception, where dams have been removed, you see populations bounce back, often much more quickly than anyone anticipated.”

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian: Almost 3 billion animals affected by Australian bushfires, report shows

Exclusive: megafires ‘one of the worst wildlife disasters in modern history’, say scientists

Nearly 3 billion animals were killed or displaced by Australia’s devastating bushfire season of 2019 and 2020, according to scientists who have revealed for the first time the scale of the impact on the country’s native wildlife.

The Guardian has learned that an estimated 143 million mammals, 180 million birds, 51 million frogs and a staggering 2.5 billion reptiles were affected by the fires that burned across the continent. Not all the animals would have been killed by the flames or heat, but scientists say the prospects of survival for those that had withstood the initial impact was “probably not that great” due to the starvation, dehydration and predation by feral animals – mostly cats – that followed.

An interim report based on work by 10 scientists from five institutions, commissioned by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), suggests the toll from the fires goes much further than an earlier estimate of more than 1 billion animals killed. ...

Scientists from the University of Sydney, University of New South Wales, University of Newcastle, Charles Sturt University and Birdlife Australia contributed to the study.

Dermot O’Gorman, WWF-Australia’s chief executive, said: “It’s hard to think of another event anywhere in the world in living memory that has killed or displaced that many animals. This ranks as one of the worst wildlife disasters in modern history.”

Chris Dickman, a professor in ecology at the University of Sydney and fellow of the Australian Academy of Science who oversaw the project, said its central finding was a shock even to the researchers. “Three thousand million native vertebrates is just huge. It’s a number so big that you can’t comprehend it,” he said. “It’s almost half the human population of the planet.”

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I have to admit it. When I first clicked on this topic I was thinking...

Plant. Insect. Bird. Fish. Animal.

Carry on. This is such a depressing topic.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RVInit wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:18 pm

It's a different test. The proband in the other test has different priorities.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

I sure hope the lady sparrows lack of self-distancing at my feeder does not hurt their population too much (though the non-native species tends to dominate the feeder). The guys are better at self-distancing but I am not sure attacking another with your beak is the preferred method to encourage distancing.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Addie

Post by Addie »

What are you two talking about? :confused:
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:32 pm
RVInit wrote:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Addie wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:03 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
RVInit wrote:

This topic had not had activity in a while. When I saw it on my notify, the five words reminded me of Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV.

I'm not sure what RTH is talking about. Went over my head, I guess. :lol:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie »

I see. I thought I was having da delerium. :dazed:
RVInit wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 pm
Addie wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:03 pm
RTH10260 wrote:

This topic had not had activity in a while. When I saw it on my notify, the five words reminded me of Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV.

I'm not sure what RTH is talking about. Went over my head, I guess. :lol:

Addie

Post by Addie »

I don't have the heart to post the accompanying photo. :brokenheart:
DCReport: Economic Slowdown Drives Gruesome Mass Killings Of Farm Animals

With Few Buyers on Hand, Farmers Resort to Grotesque Methods: Smothering Thousands of Birds, Steaming Hogs to Death

Because of COVID-19 and the resultant shuttering or slowing of slaughterhouses, U.S. farmers are smothering chickens in foam or steaming pigs to death.

In April, Trump regulators set up a center to coordinate mass killings of chicken, hogs and other livestock. An estimated 10 million hens already have been killed, most smothered by foam.

Trump’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service didn’t respond to emails from DCReport.org.

“The mass killings now taking place are a tragic waste of animal life, causing an abhorrent amount of avoidable suffering; they graphically reveal that the factory farming system is fundamentally frail, flawed, and cruel,” said the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Return to “Energy & Environment”