Ben Carson

pipistrelle

Re: Ben Carson

Post by pipistrelle »

I’d like Rep Al Green to discuss Carson’s need for pricey office furniture with him.

vic

Post by vic »

bob wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:33 pm
LMGTFY: MSN: What kind of chair can you get for $5,000?
I knew someone in college whose parents had one of those Eames chairs. A few years ago I was reminded of it and thought that one would look nice in my living room. Changed my mind after seeing the price.
Edit: After all, IANAL

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

A friend of mine gave us 8 original Eames chairs when they redecorated the offices at their architectural firm. We loved them and they were surprisingly comfortable. About a year later, we had the a/c at the house replaced and they screwed something up and it leaked into the ceiling and the whole ceiling fell in, right on top of the chairs. The chairs warped and a few of the backs fell off. The insurance paid out over $1000.00 each on them, and they were those weird looking metal and plywood ones, not fancy at all.

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

U.S. official said she was demoted after denying money for Ben Carson’s office decorations
That’s according to a Department of Housing and Urban Development official who filed a formal complaint saying she was demoted because she refused to OK Carson’s extravagant redecoration of his office. The career HUD employee, Helen Foster, responded to requests to “find money” for Candy Carson, Ben Carson’s wife, to redecorate his office — to which she replied there is a statutory limit of $5,000 for such projects, according to a copy of the complaint obtained by The Guardian.

“Five thousand dollars will not even buy a decent chair,” Helen Foster said she was told by the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s acting director.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/wj4 ... ecorations
HUD spending $165K on ‘lounge furniture’ for office: report
The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) will reportedly spend $165,000 on “lounge furniture” for its D.C. office, according to The Guardian.
On Tuesday it was also reported that HUD Secretary Ben Carson spent $31,000 late in 2017 on a dining set for his office.

These revelations came after Helen Foster, a senior career official at the agency, alleged in a complaint to a watchdog for federal employees that she had been demoted after she refused to "find money" for the redecoration of Carson’s office.

Before President Trump’s inauguration, then-acting HUD Secretary Craig Clemmensen had asked Foster to help Carson’s wife get funding for the redecoration. Foster told Clemmensen that they could only legally spend $5,000 to improve the suite but said she was told to find the money anyway.

She says Clemmensen told her that “$5,000 will not even buy a decent chair.”
<BIG SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... ice-report

HUD official says she was replaced after refusing to fund Carson office redecoration
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ng-to-fund
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

pdt97801

Post by pdt97801 »

What a deal 200k for a dining room and living room.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Carson still baffles me. He may be a stroke victim. He may have another illness, such as narcolepsy. Johns Hopkins will never reveal what it did or did not do.

If none of those explanations work then how do we explain the surgical success of a man who IMHO is not very bright? I tried that he is gifted in his hands but nothing else, but then how did he pass the academic courses in medical school? How did he earn a BA from Yale?

Maybe I am wrong in what I think I see and hear of him.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

TollandRCR wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 pm
Carson still baffles me. He may be a stroke victim. He may have another illness, such as narcolepsy. Johns Hopkins will never reveal what it did or did not do.

If none of those explanations work then how do we explain the surgical success of a man who IMHO is not very bright? I tried that he is gifted in his hands but nothing else, but then how did he pass the academic courses in medical school? How did he earn a BA from Yale?

I don't know if it's still the correct term, but I think idiot savant fits him in a lot of ways. And the nutsy religious crap has probably gone a long way to really messing him up.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I always wanted a Sam Maloof

Has anyone got a spare $50,000 laying around?

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I have a chair that was specially constructed for tall heavy people, reinforced stainless steel all the way through with extra long back, that I had to import from Germany. It cost me 600 Euros.

Fuck these people.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I am grateful to Bob for a link to a catalog of chairs going for five grand. Frankly some of them don't look all that comfortable to me; the money must be for the name of the designer. One of them, a Brio massage chair, looked like it would be comfortable over the long haul -- but I wouldn't get any work or serious discussion done while I was sitting in it. Carson himself comes across as so relaxed, even when in chairs of fairly modest price tags, that I doubt he has a need for a therapeutic chair with a big price. But Bob's catalog debunks the claim made by Carson's flunky - yes, you can get a decent chair for five thousand dollars.

Frankly, five grand would probably pay for at least half the furniture in my house.

In the meantime, a million people who are waiting and waiting for help from HUD are forced to live with brokendown furniture and rats.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

it was more than just a chair !
US housing department to spend $165,000 on own furniture as it faces $6.8bn budget cut
Spending is in addition to $31,000 dining set for Ben Carson’s office
Proposed budget cuts would affect poor and homeless Americans

Jon Swaine in New York
Wed 28 Feb 2018 03.27 GMT First published on Wed 28 Feb 2018 00.02 GMT

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (Hud) has agreed to spend $165,000 on “lounge furniture” for its Washington headquarters, in addition to a $31,000 dining set purchased for housing secretary Ben Carson’s office.

The revelations on Tuesday of Carson’s expensive decor spending come as Donald Trump’s administration has proposed a cut of $6.8bn to Hud’s annual budget, or roughly 14% of its total spending, which would lead to reductions in programs aimed at poor and homeless Americans.

Department officials signed a contract last September with an Indiana-based seller for the furniture, according to a federal procurement record.

Raffi Williams, a spokesman for Hud, said in an email on Tuesday evening that further records on the lounge furniture contract were not immediately available.

Earlier on Tuesday it emerged that the department had agreed to spend $31,000 on a dining table and accompanying items for Carson’s offices. Last week, Williams falsely denied to the Guardian that such a table had been bought.

Details of the furniture purchases were revealed after a senior career official at Hud alleged in a complaint to a federal watchdog that she was demoted after refusing to break a $5,000 spending limit for improvements to Carson’s office.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ble-bought

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

tek

Post by tek »

pdt97801 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:55 pm
What a deal 200k for a dining room and living room.
In many places that would include a house to put them in. I can see the Bob's Furniture ad now!
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News

@ABC

MORE: Sec. Ben Carson has asked HUD to cancel an order for a $31,000 dining set for his office suite after the agency came under scrutiny for the cost of the furniture.
http://
abcn.ws/2t9oMFT

10:48 AM - Mar 1, 2018
Just get him a sheet of plywood and some cinder blocks. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Carson cancels $31K dining set order

Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Ben Carson on Thursday ordered his agency to cancel an order for a $31,000 dining room set for his personal office.

"I was as surprised as anyone to find out that a $31,000 dining set had been ordered," Carson said in a statement. "I have requested that the order be canceled. We will find another solution for the furniture replacement."

He added that he might choose a different dining room set, but that his "preference" would be a more "reasonable" price tag.

"My wife also looked at catalogs and wanted to be sure that the color of the chair fabric of any set that was chosen matched the rest of the decor," he said. "I made it known that I was not happy about the prices being charged and that my preference would be to find something more reasonable." <SNIP>
ETA:
House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) announced on Wednesday that his committee will probe Carson's "excessive spending" on the redecoration of his office.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -set-order
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 pm

I don't know if it's still the correct term, but I think idiot savant fits him in a lot of ways. And the nutsy religious crap has probably gone a long way to really messing him up.
I think so, too. I don't believe I have ever heard him put together a coherent thought. Someone did an outtake of Ben Carson from the following video and put it up on Twitter during primary season and when I first saw it I actually thought it was real before I remembered that I had watched all of the debates. That goes to show the impression that I had gathered of Carson by the time I saw the portion of this video featuring him. Something is definitely off with that man.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

“Idiot savant” does not work for me. That term applies to extraordinary abilities in one area such as mathematics. Carson received a BA from Yale and an MD from Michigan. Neither institution offers trivial academic courses; at one time Carson showed at least some academic ability in addition to extraordinary surgical ability. He was far from being an idiot savant.

I could buy early-onset dementia of some kind. Stroke is a good possibility. There may be a mental illness that shows these effects. I doubt that his Seventh Day Adventist beliefs have harmed him, but I am not sure that he is a vegetarian as that church recommends.

His life story is extraordinary. He and his brother spent a year in a Boston SDA School with one teacher and eight grades. The students mostly played games. Carson rebounded from this mess.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This is from a while back
Ben Carson may be the greatest neurosurgeon in the history of neurosurgery
By Bob Abrams, November 2, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Ben Carson may have been a great neurosurgeon, but even as an average surgeon, he would definitely have been the quintessential example of an idiot savant .

Even if I could get wrap my head around the fact that Dr. Carson was a gifted pediatric neurosurgeon, I would also have to point out that there is not a single aspect of that profession that would qualify him for any aspect of the job of president. Of anything.

There's a disconnect between the intelligence that we associate with any kind of doctor, let alone a neurosurgeon and the persona presented by presidential hopeful, Ben Carson. People have stopped using the expression, "Hey, it's not brain surgery."

Thanks to Ben Carson, brain surgery doesn't seem all that special anymore.

As for Dr. Carson's presidential candidacy, that has me both confounded and concerned. I'm confounded because I can't understand how anyone could listen to Carson's sleepy, sloppy nonsense and think that he could be the leader of the free world.

I'm concerned because the people who support Carson are not thinking about him as the leader of the free world, they're thinking about him as a religious leader. Even Carson's whimsical tax plan is based on the biblical principle of tithing.

We may have to change the executive branch to include both a president and an ayatollah.

You have to listen carefully to Carson's soft-spoken drivel to separate the idiocy from the evil.

In an anti-gay rant, Carson said that men choose homosexuality when they go to prison. If you think that makes sense, you probably shouldn't be reading this.
Sorry about the rule breaking, but many of these are single sentence paragraphs.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-board ... rosurgeon/
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

While I am cranked about the amount spent (or almost spent) on Carson's HUD furnishings, I want to keep in mind what The Stable Genius is costing the taxpayers, making frequent trips to his own business properties, and making the taxpayers pay for his travel and pay the full rate he charges the Secret Service and others he requires to come with him.

At least Carson intended to stay in his office, where there was work to be done.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:34 pm
While I am cranked about the amount spent (or almost spent) on Carson's HUD furnishings, I want to keep in mind what The Stable Genius is costing the taxpayers, making frequent trips to his own business properties, and making the taxpayers pay for his travel and pay the full rate he charges the Secret Service and others he requires to come with him.

At least Carson intended to stay in his office, where there was work to be done.
Unfortunately, that work is destroying HUD.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I'm willing to bet that it is too late to cancel that order.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Ben Carson on His Vexing Reign at HUD: Brain Surgery Was Easier Than This

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/us/b ... &smtyp=cur
Mr. Carson, people close to him said, has been whipsawed by a job he has found puzzling and frustrating — so much so that he considered quitting during recent wrangling over the department’s budget.

“There are more complexities here than in brain surgery,” Mr. Carson said in an interview last week. “Doing this job is going to be a very intricate process.”

Mr. Carson’s efforts to steer the agency toward programs that foster self-sufficiency, one of his stated goals, have been undermined by staffing mistakes, his indecisiveness and a president indifferent, at best, to the department’s mission of helping the poor, according to two dozen current and former HUD and administration officials.

All of this has been exacerbated by Mr. Carson’s tin ear for politics — such as the damaging disclosure that he had looked the other way when subordinates spent, at a time of savage budget cuts, $31,000 to buy him a new mahogany dining room suite for his office that included a pair of $1,000 side chairs.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Ben Carson, a physician with no political or administrative background, who somehow was (briefly) a 'viable' candidate for President during the 2016 campaign, got this job as a political payoff. Arguably his medical background might have made him a likelihood for Surgeon General, or Center for Disease Control, or some section of HHS, but it looks like he was given HUD to both humiliate him and to hobble the mission of HUD.

I suspect that the bloated furniture budget was not entirely his own idea but that it was at least encouraged by flunkies who did not have his best interests at heart.

It is as if Trump, desiring to eliminate various government departments, such as EPA, Energy, HUD, and Education, has come up with a strategy - instead of directly proposing their termination or defunding, simply put them in the hands of hostile or incompetent appointees.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm not so sure Carson didn't have more to do with the choice of furniture. I've seen photos of the interior of his house.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Does his DC office have a picture of him and Jesus hanging out together like his house does?
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”