Will Kavanaugh Make It Until The Hearing with Dr. Christine Blasey Ford?

Will Kavanaugh Make It Until Monday's Hearing?

Yes
69%
No, His decision
7%
No, Public pressure
13%
No, Congress torpedos
10%

Total votes: 68

pipistrelle

Re: Will Kavanaugh Make It Until The Hearing with Dr. Christine Blasey Ford?

Post by pipistrelle »

Last I looked at Facebook a few hours ago, some were doubtful it was him (probably hadn't seen his admission). A few complained about the infringement on his right to free speech (yeah, that old saw). Several parents were disappointed. A few said what a great guy he was and how much he'd done for the school. (Again, some of this was before his admission.) On the whole, the parents don't seem happy with his values and think the school itself is very good and does have good values.

As for me, I'm baffled as to why adults behave like schoolyard 12-year-olds online. He looks like a mature man and behaves like a child.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Mr Pfister wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:20 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:37 pm
Also, too, it was late on a Sunday night and I'd bet dollars to donuts that Butch had put down a few tumblers of bourbon when he sent that.

Kavanaugh was 40 when he got married I heard today. Since he was particularly testosterone infused, there's got to be many women out there that he "dated." I wonder where they all are?
Hiding at a beach house with Mark Judge?
Eating at a buffet and drinking wine in a conference room at The National Enquirer? Waiting on Michael Cohen to get the exclusive rights to the story down in a deniable contract?

Oh, wait, they don't do that anymore, do they?
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Slightly off topic but I've been observing the covers of The National Enquirer at the grocery store. I haven't seen a word about anything political on the cover in months. :daydream: But what really surprised me was the price: $4.99!

Also, picked up a little FACTOID on MSNBC tonight. John Heilemann (the reporter) revealed that he knew Mark Judge from back in the late 1980s! Heilemann was a bartender in Georgetown and Judge was a frequent occupant of the bar. Heilemann says he was a surly, boorish (and a few more adjectives I can't recall) drunk. Just think what the FBI could find out if it just talked to some fucking reporters!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

I think I heard slovenly and unkempt in there too, also.
Image Image Image Image Image

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

For McConnell and his leadership team, the road ahead on Kavanaugh is fraught with political peril. The GOP leader does not want to be seen as doing anything to undercut Kavanaugh, but his message has subtly shifted as well. On Friday, McConnell confidently predicted his caucus would “plow right through” the sexual assault allegation and put Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court; by Monday, McConnell defended Kavanaugh against a “despicable” smear campaign but committed only to a floor vote in the “near future.”

Ford sent Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley a letter saying McConnell’s fiery speech Monday was “inconsistent” with the committee’s appeal toward her.

“[McConnell] thinks he’ll have the votes,” said one Republican senator who speaks to the majority leader regularly. “But he just wants members to know it’s going to the floor.”

A second Republican senator wondered aloud whether the GOP leaders could weather the storm until Thursday’s hearing: “Can they sustain this for three more days?”
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/ ... ort-838392

:popcorn:
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

I'll be honest. I was starting to have some doubts about my thinking on Avenatti's decision to out the guy who called him a "fucking douchebag."

Avenatti's victory lap dispelled them.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister »

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:13 am
I'll be honest. I was starting to have some doubts about my thinking on Avenatti's decision to out the guy who called him a "fucking douchebag."

Avenatti's victory lap dispelled them.
I was on the fence - leaning towards Avenatti on the initial round. Had the other douche bag used an employer based account it would have been a no brainer.

But yes, he does seem to be a bit "large" for hissownself

Lani

Post by Lani »

The pattern has emerged. The predators get a girl drunk or find one who is. Then blame her for being drunk, being confused, lying to cover up her consent and/or initiation of the acts, etc. It's worked for eons, and creepy old white men like Hatch, McConnell and Trump are running with that time-tested defense.

Dr. Ford is enticed into a room, the door is locked, and a hand is over her mouth to stop her cries.

Ramirez is invited to a drinking game party in which the partiers pick who will have the next drink. But the participants keep picking her. She's so drunk, she lies down. Then there's a penis in her face, and she's told to kiss it.

Unnamed 3rd person may be related to the incident Judge confessed to his ex. Drunk girl at party, isolated in a room, multiple rapes.

I'm in the doomseer group, so I'm afraid that Kavanaugh will join the SCOTUS. Unless more women come forward NOW and their friends, former classmates and partners rise up to support them.

HisMexcellence

Post by HisMexcellence »

Not sure if this has come up on FogBow yet. I Pulled off another board, and haven't seen any MSM corroboration since when I saw it Sunday evening, so I'm still a little skeptical.

That being said, if this is legit, holy SH***
Full text of Avenetti e-mail:

Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2018 6:06 PM
To: Davis, Mike (Judiciary-Rep)

Subject: RE: SCOTUS -- Avenatti claim of evidence

Dear Mr. Davis:

Thank you for your email. We are aware of significant evidence of multiple house parties in the Washington, D.C. area during the early 1980s during which Brett Kavanaugh, Mark Judge and others would participate in the targeting of women with alcohol/drugs in order to allow a "train" of men to subsequently gang rape them. There are multiple witnesses that will corroborate these facts and each of them must be called to testify publicly. As a starting point, Senate investigators should pose the following questions to Judge Kavanaugh without delay and provide the answers to the American people:

1. Did you ever target one or more women for sex or rape at a house party? Did you ever assist Mark Judge or others in doing so?

2. Did you ever attend any house party during which a woman was gang raped or used for sex by multiple men?

3. Did you ever witness a line of men outside a bedroom at any house party where you understood a woman was in the bedroom being raped or taken advantage of?

4. Did you ever participate in any sexual conduct with a woman at a house party whom you understood to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs?

5. Did you ever communicate with Mark Judge or anyone else about your participation in a "train" involving an intoxicated woman?

6. Did you ever object or attempt to prevent one or more men from participating in the rape, or taking advantage, of a woman at any house party?

Please note that we will provide additional evidence relating to the above conduct both to the Committee and the American public in the coming days.

Regards,

Michael Avenatti
:hitthefan: :explode:

HisMexcellence

Post by HisMexcellence »

NM, found it a few pages back in the Kavenot confirmation thread.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Judge's ex (Rezner?) said he told her about the gang rape because he regretted it. However, he also claimed it was "consensual".

DmitriNotPetra

Post by DmitriNotPetra »

The "virginity" thing is a real headscratcher. It doesn't negate the claims of Dr. Ford, for one, and for two, if its not true, he's betting that no one even had consensual sex with will come forward and contradict his claim. Not a great plan.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

A second Republican senator wondered aloud whether the GOP leaders could weather the storm until Thursday’s hearing: “Can they sustain this for three more days?"
I don't think so. I think this nomination is coming apart at the seams. If they don't give the women - ALL the women - a full opportunity to testify in a fair hearing, there's going to be a huge backlash. Same goes if they try to humiliate the ladies on nationable Tee Vee. And if they do give all the women a fair chance to tell their stories, he's brunt toast (ancient Fogbow tyop).

Dead man walking, at this point. :smoking:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Foggy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 am
A second Republican senator wondered aloud whether the GOP leaders could weather the storm until Thursday’s hearing: “Can they sustain this for three more days?"
I don't think so. I think this nomination is coming apart at the seams. If they don't give the women - ALL the women - a full opportunity to testify in a fair hearing, there's going to be a huge backlash. Same goes if they try to humiliate the ladies on nationable Tee Vee. And if they do give all the women a fair chance to tell their stories, he's brunt toast (ancient Fogbow tyop).

They. Don't. Care.

We are talking about a lifetime appointment that will literally grant the full panoply of wishes to the conservative movement that they have been lusting after since the 1970s. Provoking a backlash from nebulous "women" pales in comparison in the minds of Republican senators to the shitstorm they will face if Kavanaugh goes down. The Federalist Society, the Heritage Foundation, the NRA, the Judicial Crisis Network, Club for Growth, Americans for Prosperity, Eagle Forum, and the entire evangelical base of the party will promptly lose their fucking minds. So the choice is between definitely upsetting the people you know vote for you and give you money, or possibly upsetting an undefined group that (in your mind) voted for Hillary anyway. The political calculus is pretty clear.

Granted, I would not mind one bit seeing the aforementioned groups going batshit insane. I would however, like to be spared the endless crowing from one Michael Avenatti that would no doubt ensue. I've actually gone the opposite way as Mike Dunford on that. I used to think he might be okay, but with every day of his jumping into any legal fracas that involves the administration, with every one of his ridiculous interviews on MSNBC where he bloviates about his clients being vindicated "before the American people" and teases new disclosures without actually saying anything substantive, the part of me that loves the legal profession dies a little more. Fuck Michael Avenatti.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl »

Foggy wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 am

I think this was true in our old rational universe but now that we're in the mirror universe it's not - as in, they're all going to hold on to this nomination & push it through come hell or high water. :crying:

I also think Kavanugh's reaction to everything all by itself makes him unsuitable for SCOTUS. Think about previous nominees who withdrew for much less egregious issues. Kavanugh is behaving as though this seat is HIS, dammitall & no one is going to take it from him. It is his birthright. Anyone who can't be embarrassed or who isn't thinking about the damage to our country definitely doesn't deserve a seat.

Long story short - I still think he's going to be confirmed even though there's no way in hell he should be. Trump, Kavanaugh, & the GOP leadership want this so it's going through. Especially since it's women who are opposed & eveyone knows we're hysterical creatures who get upset over the smallest things. :swoon:

PS I hope this makes sense - I was horrendously sick yesterday (bug or food poisoning) & sm still a bit wobbly.

listeme

Post by listeme »

If they're* playing chess, then the justices are the kings. Executive branch, legislative branch, those are lesser pieces. They win when they get the justices.

So what if they lose the house or senate for a cycle or two, if they've won? No one wants to sacrifice their queen, but they'll do it to win.

*I don't know. Nebulous shadowy figures, I reckon :mrgreen:
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

listeme wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:10 am
If they're* playing chess, then the justices are the kings. Executive branch, legislative branch, those are lesser pieces. They win when they get the justices.

So what if they lose the house or senate for a cycle or two, if they've won? No one wants to sacrifice their queen, but they'll do it to win.

*I don't know. Nebulous shadowy figures, I reckon :mrgreen:
At least it will silence the Right's decades long whining about activist judges making law from the bench.

Oh, wait ....

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ya know, if Kavanaugh was born to another family, joined a gang instead of going to college, but never got caught, and never went to jail, he would be branded as a gang member forever no matter how many years it was in the past. His label would always be "former gang member".

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bill_G wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:29 am
Ya know, if Kavanaugh was born to another family, joined a gang instead of going to college, but never got caught, and never went to jail, he would be branded as a gang member forever no matter how many years it was in the past. His label would always be "former gang member".
Great point. I’m using that.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hope you feel better, HilltownGrrrl! :bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Whip

Post by Whip »

Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 am
I don't think there is any strong expectation of privacy attached to any unsolicited message. And, again, the guy who sent it was a complete dumbass.

But I can't read Avenatti's decision to broadcast the thing - especially with the employer information highlighted - as anything other than an attempt to ruin the guy's life. And that strikes me as, to say the least, grossly disproportionate. The PM wasn't threatening and doesn't express hostility towards anyone but Avenatti. What point is made by broadcasting the thing?

It's the kind of petty, power-mad bullshit that you expect from Trump.
and what happened to the immigrants he was (allegedly) saving?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Whip wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 am
Not enough TV time comes with those clients

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Whip wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 am
Mikedunford wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 am
I don't think there is any strong expectation of privacy attached to any unsolicited message. And, again, the guy who sent it was a complete dumbass.

But I can't read Avenatti's decision to broadcast the thing - especially with the employer information highlighted - as anything other than an attempt to ruin the guy's life. And that strikes me as, to say the least, grossly disproportionate. The PM wasn't threatening and doesn't express hostility towards anyone but Avenatti. What point is made by broadcasting the thing?

It's the kind of petty, power-mad bullshit that you expect from Trump.
How Michael Avenatti helped a 9-year-old Guatemalan boy make it back to his mother
By Sara Sidner and Alberto Moya, CNN

Updated 7:59 PM ET, Wed August 15, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/15/us/micha ... index.html

As Duck Tape (RIP) used to say, The Google is your friend.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:35 am
Hope you feel better, HilltownGrrrl! :bighug:
Thanks, TRL. Whatever this thing is is awful. Or maybe I finally hit the toxic levels of GOP

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I was away for a few days and then sick, so I haven't been here since last week. We did have MSNBC, though, so I mostly caught what was going on. I've read back over the last few pages to see what I missed on this thread. I can't speak to all of it, but I do have a few thoughts.

I still don't know how I feel about Avenatti. I don't care for him personally, but he usually seems to know what he's talking about and follows through on what he says. I hadn't even heard about the Twitter storm and don't have an account. I think Avenatti could have handled it differently, but the other guy started it and did it stupidly using his work account and foul language.

I've seen parts of Kavanaugh's "interview" on faux noise last night. What a dead fish. He wasn't convincing, at least to me, and repeating the same things over and over again is not an effective way to communicate and be taken seriously. His wife reminded me of a Stepford wife. I saw where he spoke to her and wouldn't let her answer a question about whether or not the FBI should investigate. Men speaking over women or speaking for them are both actions that make my blood boil.

I don't have a strong opinion on whether he's going to be confirmed. twittler desperately wants him for obvious reasons. There are plenty of other Federalist Society wannabees who would be about as bad for the country, some probably worse. But the republicans want this win before the midterms and they are willing to do anything and savage anyone. McConnell is nothing short of shameful, but that's not really new.

I can't decide what will be worse for the republicans, not getting him confirmed or getting him confirmed. The base might be pissed if he's not confirmed, but I'm not sure the base cares quite as much as the higher ups who have pushed this so hard. if he gets confirmed, there's enough out there that this could continue, especially because of the law in Maryland and if the Democrats take the House. I don't know how hard it would be to impeach a SC judge, but it could be done.

I don't see Kavanaugh as SC caliber, but there are more than a few on there who really aren't these days.

Mostly, I think Rick Wilson is right: everything twitller touches turns to shit. Whatever happened to the doctor, Ronny Jackson, he nominated to be head of Veterans Affairs?
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Return to “Brett Kavanaugh - Nomination for Supreme Court”