2020 GOP Rattled by Trump

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Re: 2020 GOP Rattled by Trump

Post by Orlylicious »

Nolte is a Breitbart troll with a nasty disposition. If he's saying this, there's big trouble in the private polling numbers. He uses Al Bundy as his avatar.

Nolte: Polls Show Trump’s Reelection Numbers Trending the Wrong Way
JOHN NOLTE 4 Jun 20200

While I no longer believe in polls, I do believe in trends, and the current polling trends for President Trump are terrible. Over the past seven or eight weeks, according to the reliable RealClearPolitics Poll of Polls… Trump’s job approval has sunk from 47.3 percent to 43.5. His disapproval number has jumped from 49.5 percent to 54 percent. The public’s approval of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus has completely flipped, from 51 percent approve to just 43 percent approve — from 45 percent disapprove to 54 percent disapprove. Against Joe Biden in their upcoming 2020 match-up, Trump went from a 4.4 point deficit to what is now nearly an eight-point deficit.

And let’s not forget that in 2016, the national polls called the race right. Though not as sharp, the trend is the same in the swing states — moving away from Trump. But… It is important to remember how wrong the state polling was in 2016. The good news in the polling, and it’s not a small thing, is enthusiasm. In the June 1 Washington Post poll, Biden beats Trump by ten points, 53 to 43 percent. In late March, Biden was only up two points, 49 to 47 percent. But on the issue of enthusiasm, 90 percent of Trump’s voters are enthusiastic, compared to just 74 percent of Biden voters. The other two pieces of good news are that Slow Joe Biden is a terrible politician and there’s plenty of time and a million news cycles between now and Election Day.

If you don’t believe the polling trends, stop reading here, because I do believe the trends, and I’m going to analyze why I believe Trump’s numbers are sinking… During a crisis, a president really only has one job: to project steadiness. That’s it. That’s all the American people really want from their leaders. That’s why Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) can screw absolutely everything up with his coronavirus response and still enjoy huge approval numbers. That’s why Iraq could fall completely apart on former President George W. Bush in 2004 and he still won his reelection. That’s why a radical like Barack Obama could beat war hero John McCain, who came off as erratic and neurotic.

Calm, cool, unruffled, and steady is the key… Trump either refuses to behave in his own best interest during the dual crises of the coronavirus and these riots, or he’s incapable of behaving in a way that’s in his own best interest. You know, I like Trump being Trump … when times are good. When 100,000 people are not dying, when the economy is not imploding, and when dozens of Democrat-run cities are not on fire, Trump being Trump makes my day. I like that he hits back at the media, hijacks the news cycle with his Twitter feed, and blasts back twice as hard at his critics. I not only like it; I think it’s good politics, most especially when Deep State Traitors like James Comey are trying to legitimize a coup.

I’ll tell you something else I have no problem during normal times… If Trump wants to troll the execrable Joe Scarborough over a dead intern. I’ll pop the popcorn. That scumbag Scarborough and his Trophy Wife have been falsely accusing Trump of everything from being a Russian spy to genocide… In normal times, during good times, I would find that hilarious and just. When 100,000 Americans are dead, and the economy is imploding, and dozens of Democrat-run cities are on fire, I find it childish, selfish, and self-destructive. As is encouraging your supporters to show up in what will almost certainly be a violent confrontation in front of the White House. As is repeatedly shouting “LAW & ORDER!” out of nowhere. As is re-tweeting a guy who says the “only good Democrat is a dead Democrat.” As is continuing to engage in grudges, grievances, silly insults, and petty fights.

What’s even more frustrating is that Trump’s done a solid job managing both the coronavirus and the riots. He’s also said a lot of the right things, but his refusal to calm down, project steadiness, and rise above it all is undermining all the good work. Trump’s problems all started right here — he was doing just fine and earning solid approval numbers handling the coronavirus until he allowed the corporate media to bait him into overriding his own message and burying vital information the public needed under those endless and godawful briefings where he wrestled with the media pigs for hours. To what end? Why? As far as I’m concerned, that was all Trump’s fault because he allowed his (perfectly understandable) hatred for the media to get the best of him, and the result was not only the implosion of his own approval ratings, but necessary public information imploding in a fit of presidential pique.

Over the past six or so weeks, he’s at least put an end to those destructive briefings, but the presidential steadiness is still not there … because Lil’ Joey Scarborough said something mean. For five years, Trump has told us he is perfectly capable of acting presidential if he wants to, but when sliding poll numbers can’t make him want to act presidential, I start to wonder. When projecting steadiness and calm would go a long way towards beating the bastards Trump wants so badly to beat and he still doesn’t, I start to wonder.I’m still going to crawl over glass to vote for the guy, but I’m pretty disgusted right now. Forty million people are out of work, our cities are on fire… Trump needs to do better, for the country’s sake and his own.

Follow John Nolte on Twitter @NolteNC.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... rt+News%29
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

much ado

Post by much ado »

Orlylicious wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:14 pm
Nolte: Polls Show Trump’s Reelection Numbers Trending the Wrong Right Way
JOHN NOLTE 4 Jun 2020
One little correction here...

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Fox Polls show one real surprise! dOhio!

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/6/4 ... xZ-Qgh6t9o

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Nobody quite understands enthusiasm. I don't really know anybody who's enthusiastic about voting for Biden. I'm not. Quite happy to vote for him, but not enthusiastic.

I am, however, enthusiastic about voting against the Orange ShitGibbon. Very much so.

I'd vote for the corpse of Richard Nixon before I'd vote for Trump.

Hell, I'd vote for Gavin Newsom before Trump –and we all know how much I loath love Gavin Newsom.
Image Image Image Image Image

bob

Post by bob »

Estiveo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:39 pm
I am, however, enthusiastic about voting against the Orange ShitGibbon. Very much so.
The way election math in the United States works:
1. Not voting is casting a vote for the majority;
2. Voting for a minor party is casting a vote for the majority.

So, yes, you can be enthusiastic about voting against a candidate without necessarily being enthusiastic about voting for a different candidate.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

Estiveo wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:39 pm
Nobody quite understands enthusiasm. I don't really know anybody who's enthusiastic about voting for Biden. I'm not. Quite happy to vote for him, but not enthusiastic.

I'd vote for the corpse of Richard Nixon before I'd vote for Trump.

Hell, I'd vote for Gavin Newsom before Trump –and we all know how much I loath love Gavin Newsom.
Yeah, I think the author was suggesting that Trump supporters will be more likely to actually show up to vote in November than Biden supporters. But I think he's wrong, basically for the reasons you noted. Many, many polls have shown that a good number of people who approve of Trump are likely to choose a "somewhat approve" answer choice if the poll offers this. Whereas people who disapprove of Trump tend to choose the "strongly disapprove" answer.

I am not at all enthusiastic about Biden either. But I am extremely motivated to get my ass off the couch and vote for him in November.

So I imagine the motivation factor will actually favor the Democrats, not Republicans. We will see.
Am I being detained?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Jim wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:37 pm
:lol:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

This is effing brilliant! :thumbs:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Lani

Post by Lani »

Got a link for that? I'd love to see the photos.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Report that Bush won't support Trump reelection 'completely made up,' spokesman says
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Addie wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 am
The Hill: Report that Bush won't support Trump reelection 'completely made up,' spokesman says
I've seen that. But does that mean it's a binary choice here? Is he saying he IS supporting Trump? No.

Wishy-washy have-it-whatever way. No spine. A Susan Collins wannabe. :fingerwag: :nope:

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: It’s more than just a tweet

THE CHASM BETWEEN THE PRESIDENT and pretty much everyone else in Washington is growing, as DONALD TRUMP seems more alone and isolated with his thoughts, and detached from the overall political conversation in the Capitol, and the rest of America.

ON CAPITOL HILL, the president’s party is beginning to rally around some overhaul of the laws governing police conduct. Top lawmakers like Sens. JOHN CORNYN of Texas, MITT ROMNEY of Utah and TIM SCOTT of South Carolina are busy working up a police reform plan. House Democrats are almost ready to pass their own sweeping package.

BUT IN THE WHITE HOUSE, the president is busy broadcasting a conspiracy theory that people find so alarmingly baseless and in poor taste that the party’s top lawmakers are treating it like it’s the physical manifestation of the coronavirus itself.

THE THEORY -- that a 75-year-old man shoved by police amid protests in Buffalo was a violent antifa foot soldier -- is so zany that Republican senators not only find no need to comment on it, but are refusing to physically view the tweet in public. Gone are the days when lawmakers twisted themselves in pretzels to defend the president. Now they just move on, as if he hardly exists at all.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

much ado

Post by much ado »

(Double-posting this from Polls. Apologies! :-D )

I hadn't really thought about this, but I suppose others have. If Trump loses the general election, Trump's cult is not going away. This will cause serious problems for the GOP. I don't think that the Trump cult will fall in line behind any other candidate, and it is unlikely that if Trump loses in 2020 that he could become the GOP nominee in 2024. But the Trumpists will continue to try to push the GOP in that direction. It may split the party. :mrgreen:

bob

Post by bob »

much ado wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 pm
I don't think that the Trump cult will fall in line behind any other candidate, and it is unlikely that if Trump loses in 2020 that he could become the GOP nominee in 2024. But the Trumpists will continue to try to push the GOP in that direction. It may split the party.
The impeached president will turn 78 in 2024. Isn't that old for a nominee? ;)

I suspect it will be a rerun of 2010s: a tea-party/Freedom Caucus wing versus the "mainstream" wing. And then, in 2024, either the impeached president or his eldest son will run for the nomination.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

much ado wrote:
(Double-posting this from Polls. Apologies! :-D )

I hadn't really thought about this, but I suppose others have. If Trump loses the general election, Trump's cult is not going away. This will cause serious problems for the GOP. I don't think that the Trump cult will fall in line behind any other candidate, and it is unlikely that if Trump loses in 2020 that he could become the GOP nominee in 2024. But the Trumpists will continue to try to push the GOP in that direction. It may split the party. :mrgreen:
Getting beat badly should help that some and at least keep the kids from making a serious run. As of now, the politicians like Roy Moore who tried to emulate Trump have failed hard and hopefully that can hold.

much ado

Post by much ado »

bob wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm
much ado wrote:
I don't think that the Trump cult will fall in line behind any other candidate, and it is unlikely that if Trump loses in 2020 that he could become the GOP nominee in 2024. But the Trumpists will continue to try to push the GOP in that direction. It may split the party.

I suspect it will be a rerun of 2010s: a tea-party/Freedom Caucus wing versus the "mainstream" wing. And then, in 2024, either the impeached president or his eldest son will run for the nomination.
Yes, 78 is definitely old for a nominee, but that won't stop Trump's cult. They would nominate Trump's corpse.

The problem for the GOP is that if it is not Trump or his hereditary successor who becomes the GOP nominee, the Trump cult may run their own candidate under their own banner. This would remove at least 30%, probably more, of the GOP base. The GOP cannot afford to lose any voters. If it IS Trump or Trump Jr. who is the GOP nominee, the more moderate conservatives may refuse to vote for the GOP. That is one big :pickle: .

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

much ado wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:01 pm
Yes, 78 is definitely old for a nominee, but that won't stop Trump's cult. They would nominate Trump's corpse.
Certainly. They kept trying to nominate Reagan's corpse for twenty years after his death.

A Spawn run in 2024? They don't have the collective smarts between the three of them to figure out what party to file as.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bob wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:43 pm
much ado wrote:

:yeah: I agree. As long as the OSG has the mob at his back, he will either run again or his son or some equally disgusting Trump humper will get Trump's thumbs up. He will be an albatross around the GOP's neck until the day he dies. And there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.

They only thing the moderates can try is just to allow him to fail by not voting at all and hope a large portion of the Republican voters get sick and tired of losing and having no power at all and then try to get someone who is not a batshit crazy right wing nut job nominated. That would be the smartest thing the non batshit crazies can do. Deliberately allow their party to lose power, sacrifice a few years and then try to come back when voters are ready for success again. I don't see that happening. But seriously, they have nothing to lose by doing that - they have stacked the courts and made it impossible for Democrats to do anything of consequence for decades to come. Being out of power in the legislative branch isn't going to do that much damage to their cause.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

NotaPerson wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:19 pm

I am not at all enthusiastic about Biden either. But I am extremely motivated to get my ass off the couch and vote for him in November.

So I imagine the motivation factor will actually favor the Democrats, not Republicans. We will see.
I can get enthusiastic about voting for Sen Harris for VP.
ImageImageImage x4

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Sitting on the couch is a vote for Trump. Think about it.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

tek

Post by tek »

My parents taught me that, enthusiastic or not, you vote.
It isn't a chore, it is a responsibility.

/rant
There's no way back
from there to here

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:17 pm
Depends likely on which side of the political spectrum you stand ;)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:17 pm
Pretty sure that’s not who I voted for, sitting on my sofa and filling out my mail-in ballot.:blink:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

The political arm for the network of groups led by Charles Koch is putting more than $1 million behind new ads running in Texas, Montana, Georgia and North Carolina to support vulnerable GOP senators.

Americans for Prosperity is putting seven figures behind positive ads supporting Sens. John Cornyn (R-Texas), Steve Daines (R-Mt.), David Perdue (R-Ga.) and Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), praising their efforts to cut taxes and reduce regulations.
1 million split between 4 Senators.

That's what? 1 prime time ad each?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... erable-gop

Return to “Presidential Election”