2020: Biden Endorsements

RoadScholar

Re: 2020: Biden Endorsements

Post by RoadScholar »

Indeed. When I tell people (and I do, often) that we need to develop and maintain a working relationship with decent Republicans, Steele is the kind of person I mean.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Not exactly an endorsement, but CNN had on that Mitt Romney said he didn't vote for twitler in 2016. I think we can assume he won't be voting for him in 2020 either.

:rotflmao:

Edited to add:
Republican Sen. Mitt Romney told CNN he has already voted in this year's election but he wouldn’t say if he voted for Joe Biden or wrote someone else in.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Sam Elliott, who has apparently never made an endorsement before. This may not mean much to those of you who are not horsey women, but there are very few horsey women out there who don't absolutely adore Sam Elliott:

https://www.thewrap.com/sam-elliott-rem ... -ad-video/

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:26 pm Sam Elliott, who has apparently never made an endorsement before. This may not mean much to those of you who are not horsey women, but there are very few horsey women out there who don't absolutely adore Sam Elliott:

Not horsey, but I sure as heck know who he is :lovestruck: :bighug:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Azastan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:26 pm Sam Elliott, who has apparently never made an endorsement before. This may not mean much to those of you who are not horsey women, but there are very few horsey women out there who don't absolutely adore Sam Elliott:

Even afore I owned a horse, I adored Sam Elliott.

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

There was a time when people told Hubs he looked like Elliott, specifically his Roadhouse role.

And yeaaahhhh........

ImageImageImage x4
Addie

Post by Addie »

NATIONAL SECURITY LEADERS FOR BIDEN

We are 780 retired Generals, Admirals, Senior Noncommissioned Officers, Ambassadors and Senior Civilian National Security Officials supporting Joe Biden for President.

AN OPEN LETTER TO AMERICA ...

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

And he has the respect and admiration of a lot of us dudes too. :clap:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

RoadScholar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:29 pm

And he has the respect and admiration of a lot of us dudes too. :clap:
Sounds as if Sam may swing a few votes to Biden at this rate! :lovestruck:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

The Atlantic endorsed Biden (with a call back to one of my personal heroes, whose story - when I heard it as a teenager - was what convinced me that I never wanted to join the military, because I am simply not cut out to not ask questions):
In 1973, a United States Air Force officer, Major Harold Hering, asked a question that the Air Force did not want asked. Hering, a decorated Vietnam War veteran, was then in training to become a Minuteman-missile crewman. The question he asked one of his instructors was this: “How can I know that an order I receive to launch my missiles came from a sane president?”

The writer Ron Rosenbaum would later call this the “forbidden question.” Missile officers are allowed to ask certain sorts of questions—about the various fail-safe systems built to prevent the accidental launching of nuclear weapons, for instance. But the Air Force would not answer Hering’s question, and it moved to discharge him after determining that officers responsible for launching nuclear weapons did not “need to know” the answer. “I have to say I feel I do have a need to know because I am a human being,” Hering said in response.

Hering’s question was taboo because the national defense strategy of the United States is built on the unstated assumption that the American people will not allow a lunatic to become president. If that assumption is wrong, then no procedural, legal, or technological mechanisms exist that are able to fully protect the human race from such a lunatic. Hering discovered a catastrophic flaw in U.S. nuclear doctrine, and for this he was driven from the Air Force.

:snippity:

Trump’s opponent, Joe Biden, is in many ways a typically imperfect candidate, but if we judge these men on two questions alone—Who is a more trustworthy steward of America’s nuclear arsenal? Which man poses less of a threat to our collective existence?—the answer is spectacularly obvious.

The Atlantic has endorsed only three candidates in its 163-year history: Abraham Lincoln, Lyndon B. Johnson, and Hillary Clinton. The latter two endorsements had more to do with the qualities of Barry Goldwater and Donald Trump than with those of Johnson and Clinton. The same holds true in the case of Joe Biden. Biden is a man of experience, maturity, and obvious humanity, but had the Republican Party put forward a credible candidate for president, we would have felt no compulsion to state a preference. Donald Trump, however, is a clear and continuing danger to the United States, and it does not seem likely that our country would be able to emerge whole from four more years of his misrule. Two men are running for president. One is a terrible man; the other is a decent man. Vote for the decent man.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Re the "forbidden question, an IMHO:

My guess is that an "insane" man, in the original meaning of the word, would be unable to handle (remember) the nuclear code and the correct procedures.

On the other hand consider a mad man intent to destroy the world for whatever reason. It's my uninformed guess that the designers of the procedures will have had that in mind too at the very beginning. I understand that the command for a nuclear strike is requested by the military as a last means, based on information of a actual attack (nowadays hardly planes any longer but missiles of various types). My understanding of the procedures is that a mad man will not be able to trigger a nuclear launch unilaterally without having gotten the prior request from the military command. Which would imply a conspiracy at highest levels to perform suicide.

Apart that the current mad man is so illiterate I strongly believe that he is unable to memorize the nuclear code, recall it and apply it correctly. I mentioned in some other post that his code is most likely not directly the launch code sent to the silos, but a keyword to locate the dayly renewed launch code hidden on a page of random characters.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tion-biden
Ever since the 31 August 2019 demise of the (Youngstown) Vindicator, a daily newspaper where I spent 40 years as a reporter, columnist, editorial writer and editorial page editor, I’ve written numerous commentaries and editorials about the presidency of Donald J Trump – all in my head. Sadly, there isn’t an antidote for the death of the 150-year-old news institution, which blazed a journalistic trail in Ohio and western Pennsylvania.
Rudy Giuliani faces questions after compromising scene in new Borat film
Read more

On 1 November 2016, the Vindicator published an editorial endorsing Hillary Clinton over Trump. While we weren’t enamored by Clinton’s presidential bid, the newspaper’s editorial board believed that on the singularly important issue of leadership, the former secretary of state and US senator from New York stood head and shoulders above Trump, the self-styled billionaire. The real-estate developer wore his racism, chauvinism, religious bigotry and anti-immigrant railings as badges of honor. We warned our readers that a Trump presidency would roll back the progress made toward creating a more perfect union.

:snippity:

Here’s what has actually happened: not one new steel mill has been built in the past four years. And, in March 2019, General Motors closed its compact car-making plant in Lordstown, eliminating 4,500 high-paying jobs. The giant automaker shrugged off the president’s threat of economic retaliation.

Those are the arguments I am certain we would be making in an editorial endorsing Biden.

Sadly, we can’t. The Vindicator’s presses have fallen silent.
Edited to add link.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Yeah, but the (white) people in Youngstown still love Trump because reasons.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: More than 300 military family members endorse Biden

More than 300 military family members are endorsing Democratic nominee Joe Biden for president.

In an open letter released Friday, the spouses, parents, siblings and children of service members endorsed Biden as a “man of integrity with a lifelong record of public service and leadership.”

“Joe and Jill Biden are a military family,” the endorsers wrote. “They are intimately familiar with the fear, anxiety and pride that come with sending a loved one into harm's way. But they are more than a military family. They have been staunch advocates for service members, veterans, their families, caregivers and survivors.”

President Trump’s actions, by contrast, have “convinced us that he does not value the lives of those who served,” the letter said.

Among the more high-profile signatories are Annie McChrystal, whose husband, retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal, endorsed Biden earlier this month; Joyce Raezer, former executive director of the National Military Family Association; former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), who previously endorsed Biden, and his wife Dorothy; and Kathy Roth-Douquet, co-founder of Blue Star Families.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kyle Griffin
@kylegriffin1
Six former Commerce Secretaries from Democratic and Republican administrations have endorsed Joe Biden.

"We believe that a Biden presidency will mark the return to the certainty and security that our economy needs to thrive."

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

:shock:

https://www.unionleader.com/opinion/edi ... user-share
Our choice is Joe Biden*
(but with a footnote, of course)
This year’s general election ballot presents the voter with a dilemma. We have wrestled with this year’s choices, as we imagine many voters have. Up and down the ticket we are faced with choices in political ideologies, personalities, backgrounds and governing styles.

Some choices are easy. We can wholeheartedly recommend Chris Sununu be elected to another term as governor. He has proven himself a capable leader when faced with an extreme and occasionally hostile legislature. During the COVID-19 crisis, he has deftly handled a situation that left many leaders flustered and swinging from one extreme reaction to the next.

In the race that has dominated political discourse for the past four years the choice is murkier. There is no love lost between this newspaper and President Donald J. Trump. The Union Leader was very quickly dismissed by then-candidate Trump after we failed to bestow on him our endorsement in the Republican primary four years ago.

We were hopeful with Trump’s win that he might change, that the weight and responsibility of the Oval Office might mold a more respectful and presidential man. We have watched with the rest of the world as the mantle of the presidency has done very little to change Trump while the country and world have changed significantly.

President Trump is not always 100 percent wrong, but he is 100 percent wrong for America. Trump has many admirable accomplishments from his first term in office. We can find much common ground with Trump supporters, including judicial appointments, tax policy, support for gun rights, even inroads to Middle East peace. Trump has been able to accomplish this despite many in the media and Congress working to stop him at every opportunity.

Since Trump took over, the national debt has exploded by more than 7 TRILLION dollars. While the last several trillion was in response to the COVID-19 economic crisis, at least the first three trillion was on the books well before the pandemic, while Trump was presiding over “...the best economy we’ve ever had in the history of our country.” (Trump’s words.)

The layman would expect that the best economy in history would be a time to get the fiscal house in order, pay down debt and prepare for a rainy day (or perhaps a worldwide pandemic). The real tragedy of this scenario is that the runaway spending under the Trump administration has flashed dollar signs in the eyes of Capitol Hill Democrats. Trillions in unchecked spending has them clamoring to birth the social programs of their dreams.

Federal spending is on an unsustainable path. The fact that it has continued under an allegedly conservative president is unbelievable.

Mr. Trump rightly points out that the COVID-19 crisis isn’t his fault, but a true leader must own any situation that happens on their watch. We may be turning a corner with this virus, but the corner we turned is down a dark alley of record infections and deaths. Mr. Trump is a self-proclaimed expert on a wide variety of topics, but when pushed on basic topics he doesn’t want to discuss, he very quickly feigns ignorance.

Donald Trump did not create the social-media-driven political landscape we now live in, but he has weaponized it. He is a consummate linguistic takedown artist, ripping apart all comers to the delight of his fanbase but at the expense of the nation. America faces many challenges and needs a president to build this country up. This appears to be outside of Mr. Trump’s skill set.

Building this country up sits squarely within the skill set of Joseph Biden. We have found Mr. Biden to be a caring, compassionate and professional public servant. He has repeatedly expressed his desire to be a president for all of America, and we take him at his word. Joe Biden may not be the president we want, but in 2020 he is the president we desperately need. He will be a president to bring people together and right the ship of state.

Biden is not perfect. We are not satisfied with his responses about his son Hunter’s foreign business dealings. His understanding of gun rights leaves a lot to be desired (Joe says we only need shotguns). He suggests cops faced with a deadly threat should “shoot them in the leg.” He also seems to be copying more pages out of the “Green New Deal” than we would like.

Our policy disagreements with Joe Biden are significant. Despite our endorsement of his candidacy, we expect to spend a significant portion of the next four years disagreeing with the Biden administration on our editorial pages.

Biden was among the most moderate in the crowded 2020 Democratic primary field, proposing some of the lowest new spending among that increasingly left-leaning group. We are hopeful that this is a sign of the thoughtful and pragmatic public servant President Joe Biden will be. Sadly, President Trump has proven himself to be the antithesis of thoughtful and pragmatic; he has failed to earn a second term.

Our endorsement for President of these United States goes to Joe Biden.
* While Joe Biden is the clear choice for president, it would be a disservice to the country to send him to the White House without a backstop. We suggest splitting the ballot and electing a healthy dose of GOP senators and representatives. The best governance often comes through compromise. The civility of the Biden administration will help foster such compromise, but a blue wave would be nearly as disastrous for this country as four more years of Trump. It would result in a quagmire of big government programs that will take decades to overcome.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Trump has many admirable accomplishments from his first term in office.
:cantlook:

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:01 am The best governance often comes through compromise.
BULLS$%T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much "compromise" did we see with 6 years of republican control of congress during Obama's time....

:twoup: :twoup: :twoup: :twoup: :twoup: :twoup: :twoup: :twoup: :twoup: :twoup:

Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Joe Commie doesn't want your kindergartners shot up at school.

This editorial is amusing. Trump is terrible! But we want to keep his all his bootlicking sycophants down ballot of course.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Down ballot red has no soul. They’ve already proven that. In Arkansas there isn’t a Democrat running against alien in a human suit Tom Cotton so I am voting for the Libertarian candidate.

August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 pm Down ballot red has no soul. They’ve already proven that. In Arkansas there isn’t a Democrat running against alien in a human suit Tom Cotton so I am voting for the Libertarian candidate.
Ew. Isn't there a half eaten ham sandwich you can vote for instead?

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Topeka Capital-Journal: Editorial: Our vote is going to Joe Biden ...

He should be the next president of the United States because he is caring, trustworthy and experienced. He should be the next president of the United States because he has committed to following the science and leading our country out of this pandemic.

Yes, you might have heard that he’s also a Democrat. He deserves your support anyway.

Everyone knows that Kansas is a red state. We’ve reliably cast our votes for Republican presidential candidates for decades upon decades. But we’re also not a hopelessly partisan state. We have elected Democratic governors and U.S. representatives. We have elected many problem-solving moderate Republicans to the Statehouse. ...

In the person of incumbent President Donald Trump, we have someone profoundly indecent, accused of sexual assault by nearly 20 women and captured on tape bragging about it. We know he doesn’t look out for his neighbors, as he’s routinely insulted other nations who have traditionally been our strongest allies. As for putting in hard work, the president’s lengthy days watching cable news or golfing should suggest how little he’s interested in doing the traditional labors of president.

This newspaper endorsed President Trump in 2016. At the time, under different ownership and in different circumstances, we understood the risks. But it seemed as though Trump’s no-nonsense persona and business record could shake up Washington, D.C., for the better. ...

But that election is past, and a new one approaches. Unlike Trump, Joe Biden has nearly five decades of documented public service, as a senator and vice president. He has served ably and honorably over that time. We do not agree with all of his proposals or actions over those years. We doubt that he does either. But he has always been open and forthright with the American people. He has always appealed to our better selves.

In these difficult times, after four years of chaos and confusion, the United States needs a steady hand. We endorse Joe Biden as the next president.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Suranis wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:53 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 pm Down ballot red has no soul. They’ve already proven that. In Arkansas there isn’t a Democrat running against alien in a human suit Tom Cotton so I am voting for the Libertarian candidate.
Ew. Isn't there a half eaten ham sandwich you can vote for instead?
Anything is better than Tom “Slavery Was Necessary” Cotton.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Business Insider: 'Biden can fix this mess': Dozens of major news outlets have endorsed Joe Biden for president

Return to “Presidential Election”