Presidential Debates 2020

Addie

Presidential Debates 2020

Post by Addie »

WaPo: Second presidential debate moved from Ann Arbor to Miami amid coronavirus concerns ...

The commission announced that the second presidential debate, scheduled for Oct. 15, will be held at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County in Miami.

“This debate was originally scheduled for the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and the University has concluded that it is not feasible to host the presidential debate as planned,” the commission said in a statement.

Biden campaign confirms he will attend three debates with Trump, criticizes the president for flipping on his debate stance

Plans by the University of Michigan to withdraw as a debate host were first reported by the Detroit Free Press. On Monday, the university announced it would resume in-person instruction on its Ann Arbor campus in the fall but that large classes would continue to be held remotely.

The Arsht Center in Miami remains closed as a result of the pandemic, but the nonprofit that runs the facility submitted a reopening plan Monday night to county administrators for approval, the Miami Herald reported. The plan includes a requirement that anyone entering the Arsht Center wear a mask at all times unless eating. ...

Joe Biden’s campaign on Monday committed to three scheduled debates with Trump in September and October and criticized the president for taking varied positions on whether he would participate in debates and how many. ...

The commission plans to hold the first presidential debate at the University of Notre Dame near South Bend, Ind., and the third at Belmont University in Nashville. The sole vice presidential debate is scheduled to be held at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.
Adding:
New York Times: University of Michigan Plans to Withdraw From Hosting Trump-Biden Debate

The decision comes amid concerns about holding a large gathering during the coronavirus pandemic.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
RTH10260

Re: Presidential Debates 2020

Post by RTH10260 »

WaPo wrote:Joe Biden’s campaign on Monday committed to three scheduled debates with Trump in September and October and criticized the president for taking varied positions on whether he would participate in debates and how many. ...
Personally I would think the Biden campaign ought to skip debates with the agressive stance that this time there can be no choice between Biden and a liar-in-chief. Biden will spend much time in a debate just countering falsehoods and having to face the baby name calling. My recommendation: reply only to the questions of the moderator, totally ignore the baby. Just let it be a case of Continue Please, Governor.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Agree :like:
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 pm
WaPo wrote:Joe Biden’s campaign on Monday committed to three scheduled debates with Trump in September and October and criticized the president for taking varied positions on whether he would participate in debates and how many. ...
Personally I would think the Biden campaign ought to skip debates with the agressive stance that this time there can be no choice between Biden and a liar-in-chief. Biden will spend much time in a debate just countering falsehoods and having to face the baby name calling. My recommendation: reply only to the questions of the moderator, totally ignore the baby. Just let it be a case of Continue Please, Governor.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

:yeah:
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I still think Hillary would have won if she had laughed at him and mocked him, instead of treating him like a legitimate candidate. But nobody listened. :daydream:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

I think she should have decked him after telling everyone how to deal with creepy stalkers that don’t take no for an answer.
bob

Post by bob »

NBC:
Commission denies Trump's request to move up presidential debates
:
"Any voter who wishes to watch one or more debates before voting will be well aware of that opportunity," the organization in charge of the debates said.

The organization that runs the presidential debates on Thursday denied requests from President Donald Trump and his campaign to move the debates earlier to account for mail-in voting.

"How can voters be sending in Ballots starting, in some cases, one month before the First Presidential Debate,” Trump tweeted on Thursday. “Move the First Debate up. A debate, to me, is a Public Service. Joe Biden and I owe it to the American People!"

His tweet came a day after Rudy Giuliani, a personal attorney for Trump, wrote a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates requesting a fourth, earlier debate.

On Thursday, the CPD responded, publishing a direct reply to Giuliani on its website that declined the request.

"In your letter, you express the Trump campaign’s interest in a presidential debate in early September. You state that such a debate is necessary because some states begin sending out mail-in ballots before the first scheduled debate," CPD wrote. "There is a difference between ballots having been issued by a state and those ballots having been cast by voters, who are under no compulsion to return their ballots before the debates. In 2016, when the debate schedule was similar, only .0069% of the electorate had voted at the time of the first debate."

"While more people will likely vote by mail in 2020, the debate schedule has been and will be highly publicized. Any voter who wishes to watch one or more debates before voting will be well aware of that opportunity," the group added.

The group also said that if both Trump and Biden wished to add a debate to the schedule, they would consider the request.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Lani

Post by Lani »

If the debates happen, Trump's microphone should be shut off when it's Biden's turn to speak so Trump can't get away with interrupting his opponent like he did in 2016.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Yup. If the allotted time for your spiel is two minutes, disable the mic at two minutes until it's your turn again.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Nancy Pelosi Calls for Canceling the Presidential Debates

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

MSNBC
@MSNBC
·
3m
JUST IN: Commission on Presidential Debates announces moderators.

• Sept. 29: Chris Wallace, Fox News

• Oct. 7 (VP debate): Susan Page, USA Today

• Oct. 15: Steve Scully, C-SPAN

• Oct. 22:
@kwelkernbc
@NBCNews
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Geoff Bennett
@GeoffRBennett
·
45s
The campaigns respond to the announcement about presidential debate moderators. Trump campaign: “These are not the moderators we would have recommended...” / Biden campaign: “he looks forward to participating ... regardless of who the independently chosen moderators are.”
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Dave at Sea wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 pm I think she should have decked him after telling everyone how to deal with creepy stalkers that don’t take no for an answer.
A knee to the groin
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:08 pm The campaigns respond to the announcement about presidential debate moderators. Trump campaign: “These are not the moderators we would have recommended...”
Lots of things have gone on the past 3.5 years I would not have recommended. Deal with it.

:violin:
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Trump reiterates call for drug test before debates, claims Biden 'is on some kind of an enhancement'

President Trump on Tuesday reiterated his call for both candidates to take a drug test ahead of the presidential debates this month, claiming without evidence that Democratic nominee Joe Biden is "on some kind of an enhancement."

"He’s on some kind of an enhancement in my opinion," Trump told Laura Ingraham on Fox News. "And I say we should both — I should take a drug test, so should he. Because we don’t want to have a situation where a guy is taking some kind of..."

"It’s like athletes?" Ingraham asked, seeking clarity on what Trump was alleging.

"No. No. I want to take one," Trump said. "I’ll take one, he’ll take one. We should both take a drug test."

The president built his claim around the idea that Biden had dramatically improved his debate performance before his one-on-one debate with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in March, during the Democratic presidential primary.

Trump last week first raised the idea of drug testing for him and Biden before the debates this fall. He made a similar argument then, and offered no evidence to support his suggestion that Biden's improvement could have been the result of drugs.
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Always accuse the other guy of doing whatever rotten thing you know you do.

The basic business plan of TrumpWorld.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... s-n1239605
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has not held a single mock debate session, and has no plans to stage a formal practice round, as he readies for his first faceoff with Joe Biden in less than three weeks, according to multiple people familiar with the discussions.

The president has dismissed the typical debate preparations he participated in four years ago, joking to aides and allies that he’s been preparing for debates since he was born. His ability to fire back at an opponent in real time, he’s argued, “isn’t something you have to practice.”

Instead, Trump has so far chosen to prepare through informal discussions with key allies and with briefings from top officials in his administration on various topics that are likely to come up, these people said.

“It’s not the traditional, ‘we need Chris Christie to fill in and play Hillary Clinton’ like we did four years ago,” one of the president’s allies said, referring to the former New Jersey governor who has helped Trump prepare in the past.
tek

Post by tek »

Perfect! Trump has shown an incredible1 ability to absorb knowledge from casual conversations!

1 for some value of incredible
There's no way back
from there to here
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

What could go wrong?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

individual-1 does not do debates, he runs a Gish gallop and calls his opponent childish names.

Please proceed, governor!
much ado

Post by much ado »

I trust the venue will be set up so that Trump's mic will be turned off when it is not Trump's turn to speak. If it is set up this way, Trump will find it extremely frustrating not to be able to interrupt Biden.
bob

Post by bob »

much ado wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:00 pm I trust the venue will be set up so that Trump's mic will be turned off when it is not Trump's turn to speak.
I trust that will not happen. At all.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

bob wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:13 pm
much ado wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:00 pm I trust the venue will be set up so that Trump's mic will be turned off when it is not Trump's turn to speak.
I trust that will not happen. At all.
Agreed. It's the same as people watching NASCAR for the car wrecks. It's all about the ratings and the (not so) instant replays.
ImageImageImage x4
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Topics for the 1st Debate:

Debate Topics.JPG

Here's when the presidential debates are taking place
By Kate Sullivan, CNN
Updated 10:51 PM ET, Tue September 22, 2020

Washington (CNN)The presidential debates are around the corner, with Democratic nominee Joe Biden and President Donald Trump set to square off for the first time on stage next week. All debates are scheduled to take place from 9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. ET on their respective dates without commercial breaks. Here's what we know about the format and schedule of the four general election debates.

First presidential debate, September 29

The first debate between Biden and Trump will be moderated by Fox News' Chris Wallace and is scheduled to take place on Tuesday, September 29, at Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland. Wallace selected the following topics for the first debate: "The Trump and Biden Records," "The Supreme Court," "Covid-19," "The Economy," "Race and Violence in our Cities," and "The Integrity of the Election," according to the Commission on Presidential Debates. Each segment will last about 15 minutes, and the candidates will have two minutes to respond after the moderator opens each segment with a question. Wallace will then use the rest of the time in the segment to facilitate further discussion on the topic, according to the commission.
More about the other debates: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/22/politics ... index.html

With HRC, Donald pulled out Bill Clinton's alleged victims. What will he try to pull this time? Like everything else he does, now people are on to him... not seeing nearly as much belief/coverage (except for his cult). But IMPOTUS is sure to try to find a way to be disruptive. What nasty awful thing will he try to pull?

Here are Joe debate highlights (the underscoring is sort of annoying):

Joe Biden’s Top Moments at CNN’s Democratic Debate 9,562 views •Aug 1, 2019

Vice Presidential Debate 2012: Joe Biden, Paul Ryan Best Moments 341,159 views•Oct 12, 2012

And SNL's take for a laugh (Paul Ryan drinking out of the water feeder is still remembered)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

He will probably try and pull out Tara Reid. And a Narcissist will always use the same tricks as they cant bear the thought that a victim has seen through them. So he will pull the same shit as last time.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Return to “Presidential Election”