"Iran, If You're Listening . . ."

Sterngard Friegen

"Iran, If You're Listening . . ."

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

The Russians and the Americans aren't the only nations with great computer hackers. A couple of months ago Hillary Clinton joked "China, if you're listening, maybe you could get Trump's tax returns for us." (It was a joke, but she was also bitter.)

So what would happen if a country other than Russia decided to interfere in some way with the 2020 election and help not Trump and the Republicans but Democrats, or just expose Republicans or Trump? The nations with the lack of ethics and the intellectual assets to do it would include China, Iran, North Korea and Ukraine. Are there others?

They could interfere and not need to use any Americans to publicize what they've got. The world press would be happy to demonstrate its prowess and publish what is discovered, and information knows no borders.

I, for one, think Iran will definitely try to interfere and that the U.S. will be caught flat footed. Some of our public servants, including the heads of the NSA and CIA, will be trying to prevent Russian interference, but Trump and the Republicans won't care much since they believe the interference will be to help them.

Maybe not.

So I'll put this post up to start a thread on interference in the 2020 election by a country or citizens of a country other than Russia.

I'd appreciate others' thoughts.
Notorial Dissent

Re: "Iran, If You're Listening . . ."

Post by Notorial Dissent »

This is not something I was looking forward to seeing. It is stupid and incalculably dangerous and is a level of brinksmanship they have no concept of, the current WH and National Security leadership in particular, and I begin to doubt that the current military leadership have a clue either, particular with the way they keep getting caught with their pants down. Dumb, just really really dumb.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Lani

Post by Lani »

If the point is to reduce the US to a bunch of gibbering idiots, any country can jump in with disinformation to reduce us to a dysfunctional society. We're pretty close to that now.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

This is the most horrifying consequence of Mueller's conclusion that, since he couldn't put a value on information, he couldn't prosecute a campaign finance violation. It's stunningly naive as to the message that sends campaign strategists - who are nothing if not good copycats - going forward. I've moonlighted as a consultant, and the professional consulting types can and will read Part I of the Mueller Report as a how-to guide on soliciting and accepting information and assistance from foreign countries without crossing any lines into criminal misconduct. It will become the new normal, the same way Obama's 2008 campaign made micro-targeting entirely de rigueur with today's candidates at the federal, state, and even local level.

Bob Mueller is a very good lawyer, but his inability to understand the cynicism and "just win, baby" mentality of campaign strategists blinded him to what comes next as a result of his declination decisions. I totally get why Mueller was a good pick. Someone of a more political bent would have been unacceptable to one side or the other. A Democratically-aligned prosecutor would have been seen as explicitly out to "get Trump." A more active Republican than Mueller would have been perceived as carrying out a cover-up (hi there, Bill Barr!). But we needed someone who could foresee the impact a declination would have on campaigns going forward.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

We (the USA) had a good run.
ImageImageImage x4
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:51 am We (the USA) had a good run.
Not bad for a country founded on slavery and genocide.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:51 pm
Exactemente. :clap:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Friday celebrated the return of an American imprisoned in Iran by urging Tehran to “make the Big deal” on its nuclear program, and dangled the possibility that they would get better terms if they negotiated before the presidential election, seeming to invite Tehran to help return him to office.

Mr. Trump’s offer was immediately rejected by the Iranian leadership, which now seems to harbor doubts that he will remain president, and is hunkering down to survive American-led sanctions until they see the results of the November election.
I can only imagine the Iranians howling with laughter at that offer.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEB ... id=US%3Aen
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:51 pm
Name one that wasn't.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “Presidential Election”