Democratic Debates 2020 Presidential

Addie

Re: Democratic Debates 2020 Presidential

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:35 am

Associated Press
On edge: 2020 Dems face prospect of being cut from debates ...

Of the 20 candidates who qualified for the first round of debates in June and July, just six are sure to appear in the September-October round, when the Democratic National Committee requires participants to hit 2% in multiple polls and 130,000 individual donors. Though many campaigns are worried, DNC Chairman Tom Perez has resisted pressure to relax the requirements.

“We put our rules out for debate participation months earlier because we wanted to give people time,” Perez said in an interview. “We want to be fair to everyone.”

There’s still time for struggling candidates to recover. All 20 contenders who appeared on the debate stage last week will return for the late July debates. And, for now, only a fraction of voters are paying close attention to the unfolding Democratic contest.

But failing to qualify for the September-October debates could be lethal to any candidate, regardless of whether they formally drop out of the race.

Currently, the only locks for the fall debates are former Vice President Joe Biden, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, California Sen. Kamala Harris and South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. Former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke is likely to qualify, but after an underwhelming debate performance last week, even he is not guaranteed to make the polling threshold. Only polls taken between June 28 and Aug. 28 will count.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 am

Politico
Voters give Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren top grades in debate

Sens. Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren earned the highest marks among voters who watched last week’s Democratic presidential primary debates, according to a POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

More voters gave Harris and Warren — two of the six women among the field of 20 debaters — “excellent” marks than any of the other candidates, the poll shows. More than 1 in 4 debate-watchers, 27 percent, said Harris did an “excellent” job, while 23 percent said Warren did an “excellent” job.

The two women are the only candidates for whom more than 20 percent said they did an excellent job. The two men who entered the debate as the polling front-runners, former Vice President Joe Biden and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, were both rated as “excellent” by 16 percent of debate-watchers. But 23 percent of viewers said Biden did a “poor” job, more than the number of viewers who said Harris (16 percent), Warren (19 percent) and Sanders (20 percent) did a poor job.

Only three other candidates reached a double-digit “excellent” rating: South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (15 percent), former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro (12 percent) and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (11 percent). Of the remaining 13 candidates, none earned an “excellent” rating of greater than 5 percent, including former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke (5 percent).

The poll results are consistent with limited horse race polling conducted after the debate that showed Harris surging into the top tier of candidates and Biden slipping. But with more than four weeks until the second debate, it’s still unclear whether the debates will produce durable change in the state of the race — or if any effects will be fleeting.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 am

FiveThirtyEight: Where Kamala Harris’s New Voters Came From

And where Joe Biden’s voters went.
Mother Jones: Nearly Every Democratic Presidential Candidate Is Now Backing a Debate on Climate Change

There are now 18 candidates in favor.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:20 pm

New York Times
Analysis: Here Are the Democrats at Risk of Not Making the July Debates

With just four weeks to go until the second set of Democratic presidential primary debates, a handful of lower-tier candidates are in danger of missing them. A single percentage point of support in one poll could be the difference between getting invited to Detroit and being left off the debate stage.

A New York Times analysis of donor and polling data shows that as of Wednesday, seven candidates seeking the Democratic nomination are actively fighting for six slots in the upcoming debate, which again will be split over two nights, July 30 and 31.

So far, 14 candidates have qualified both by getting campaign donations from 65,000 people and by garnering at least 1 percent support in at least three qualifying polls. These candidates, listed below, are guaranteed one of 20 spots on the stage. ...

The 14 candidates who have locked in a spot on the July debate stage by qualifying through both donors and polling, in alphabetical order, are: former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.; Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey; Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind.; the former housing secretary Julián Castro; Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii; Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York; Senator Kamala Harris of California; Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington; Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota; former Representative Beto O’Rourke of Texas; Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont; Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts; the self-help author Marianne Williamson; and the former tech executive Andrew Yang.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:56 pm
Meh. I really don't like Maher.
I hear that. Even when Maher says something I agree with, I still can't stand him while he's doing it.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:38 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:56 pm
Meh. I really don't like Maher.
I hear that. Even when Maher says something I agree with, I still can't stand him while he's doing it.
:yeah:
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:56 am

Politico
Biden: I 'wasn't prepared' for Harris's attack in debate

Former Vice President Joe Biden acknowledged in an interview that aired Friday morning that he “wasn't prepared” to come under fire from Sen. Kamala Harris in the first Democratic presidential primary debate, defending his widely panned response to the California lawmaker’s critique of his record on race.

“I was prepared for them to come after me,” Biden said to CNN of the field of 2020 Democrats he shared the debate stage with last week in Miami.

“But I wasn't prepared for the person coming at me the way she came at [me],” Biden continued, referring specifically to Harris. “She knew Beau, she knows me. I don’t — anyway, I — but here's the deal. What I do know, and it’s the good news and the bad news: the American people think they know me, and they know me.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:58 pm

CNN: CNN will hold live draw for 2020 Democratic debate lineup

(CNN) CNN will conduct a live draw to determine which night each candidate will appear in the highly anticipated Democratic presidential primary debates airing later this month on the network.

Dana Bash, Don Lemon and Jake Tapper will moderate the Democratic National Committee-sanctioned debates over two nights, July 30-31, from Detroit, said a network spokesperson. Both nights will air live exclusively on CNN and CNN en Español. The debates will also be simulcast on CNN International.

CNN's Debates will also stream live without requiring log-in to a cable provider, exclusively to CNN.com, CNN's apps for iOS and Android and via CNNgo apps for Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, and Android TV.

The draw to determine the lineup for each night will air live on July 18 in the 8 p.m. ET hour on CNN, said the network spokesperson, who noted additional details of the draw will be released in the coming days.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:51 pm

It's a reality show world.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:42 pm

KTRK: Houston chosen to host 3rd Democratic presidential debate

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- The Democratic National Committee has chosen Houston as the host city for the third Democratic presidential debate.

The candidates will meet on Sept. 12 and 13. ABC News will televise the debate.

Details on the format, venue, moderators and exact timing for the debates will be announced at a later date.
CNN: CNN announces rules for next Democratic presidential debates

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:44 pm

538: It Won’t Be Easy For Many Democrats To Make The September Debate:
We’ll know next week who made the stage for the second Democratic primary debate on July 30-31 — July 16 is the deadline for polls that can affect who qualifies — so stay tuned, but in the meantime, here’s an early look at which Democrats are positioned to make the third debate in September.

At the moment, just five candidates have qualified for the third debate, according to our research, and while it’s early yet (candidates have until late August to improve their donor numbers and gain more support in the polls), the debate’s higher thresholds will probably result in far fewer than 20 candidates making the stage.
So far in for September: Biden, Buttigieg, Harris, Sanders, Warren.

Not in, but getting there: Booker, Castro, O’Rourke, Yang.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 pm

I'd like Yang to fall out. $1000 a month sounds like buying votes. He's not going to win so I'd like to clear him out sooner rather than later.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 am

The Hill
Gravel says he has reached donor threshold for primary debates

Former Sen. Mike Gravel (D-Alaska) announced Friday he had reached the donor threshold to appear in the Democratic presidential primary debates later this month in Detroit, though he still is below the polling threshold for the debates.

Gravel's campaign said it received donations from 65,000 unique donors, reaching the threshold set by the Democratic National Committee (DNC). However, Gravel has not polled at 1 percent or above in three DNC-approved polls, the other debate qualification.

“I’m grateful to every one of the 65,000 who donated to our campaign, and the thousands more that have followed and supported us,” Gravel said in a statement. “I will do all I can to ensure their voices not be silenced in this primary.”

The campaign hammered the DNC over the polling qualifications, saying it is in talks with national party leaders and has retained counsel over the issue.

“The campaign has retained counsel and is currently in talks with the DNC over the validity of the polling method of qualification, given that well over half of DNC’s approved polls methodically and consistently excluded Sen. Gravel despite the campaign’s documented, repeated outreach to both pollsters and the DNC for inclusion,” Gravel's campaign manager David Oks said.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Mike Gravel is 89 years old! This was Mike Cernovich and the right wing trolls, they all donated. I'm really torn about this, on the one hand it's awful to set this guy up, apparently high school students started the ball rolling. It's almost abusive. But on the other hand, people can donate to whatever they want, and Gravel seems happy about it (but who knows, can he even type? Haven't looked into it but if he's really qualifying reporters will start looking into it). They certainly are organized, they've been practicing this for years now -- Cernovich is about to pass 500K followers. As an CA attorney (from the same town as Orly Taitz), he's been totally irresponsible and this is how far he's been able to take it. As noted below, Gravel just hit the donor threshold, Mikey didn't mention that to the people who flushed money down the toilet. Hit and run -- tomorrow will be another outrage. Don't they get tired of that hateful playbook? And why the f*ck is Bernie's campaign getting involved? Boo.

Gravel 2.JPG

Gravel.JPG
July 13, 2019
Mike Gravel Makes Donor Requirements For Debates, Receives Supportive DM From Bernie Sanders’ Campaign

Fringe Democratic presidential candidate and former Alaskan Sen. Mike Gravel revealed that he has hit the donor requirements for the second round of presidential debates. The accomplishment is notable because Gravel’s campaign is run by manager David Oks and chief of staff Henry Williams, both just 18-years-old, and is solely conducted via Twitter without the traditional process of campaigning the country.

The 89-year-old said that his campaign has received 65,000 unique donors, which The Hill reports is the threshold set by the Democratic National Committee (DNC). “I’m grateful to every one of the 65,000 who donated to our campaign, and the thousands more that have followed and supported us,” Gravel said in a statement. “I will do all I can to ensure their voices not be silenced in this primary.”

But Gravel still has work to do. The DNC debates also require 1 percent or above in three DNC-approved polls. According to Gravel’s campaign, the team is currently in talks with the DNC over the validity of the polling methods. Specifically, they point out that over half the DNC’s polls “methodically and consistently excluded Sen. Gravel despite the campaign’s documented, repeated outreach to both pollsters and the DNC for inclusion.”
https://www.inquisitr.com/5528726/mike- ... e-sanders/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:34 pm

CNN brought everybody in for the draw, it's so over the top it's funny. More moderate on Tuesday and Pete is Tuesday... but they haven't done the final four yet.

ETA: They stretched this to an hour, it's hilarious. John King used his pocket Magic Wall and Anderson hadn't seen it... John said, "Well, I use it during the day..." Anderson's sleeping :lol:

OK... here it is...

Warren Tue Jul 30
Harris Wed Jul 31
Biden Wed Jul 31
Sanders Tue Jul 30

Warren/Sanders, it had to happen. I think I just heard "Oh shit" at Biden HQ.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Tuesday, July 30:
Warren
Sanders
Klobuchar
O'Rourke
Buttigieg
Bullock
Ryan
Hickenlooper
Delaney
Williamson

Wednesday, July 31:
Biden
Harris
Booker
Yang
Castro
De Blasio
Bennet
Gabbard
Gillibrand
Inslee

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:01 pm

I get it, they want to do the top 4 separately to make sure both nights have 2. But damn, they pull the first 16 and then spend 30 minutes doing hypothetical mix and match. Just draw the last 4 and then use that time to talk about the actual lineups.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:40 am

WaPo: Aaron Blake
The top 15 Democratic presidential candidates of 2020, ranked

We’re on the eve of the second Democratic presidential debate of the 2020 election, and it’s a debate in which the current leader in most polls, Joe Biden, appears more ready to joust with his would-be usurpers. ...

“If they want to argue about the past, I can do that,” Biden added. “I got a past I’m proud of. They got a past that’s not quite so good.” ...

(-Snip to Top Ten)

10. Washington Gov. Jay Inslee: Inslee has a serious résumé and seems to be a player in debates. You have to wonder, though, if billionaire Tom Steyer’s recent entry might undercut his desire to be the climate change candidate in the race. (Previous ranking: 10)

9. Former congressman Beto O’Rourke (Tex.): O’Rourke broke the Senate fundraising record in his campaign against Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) in 2018, but after a big first 24 hours ($6.1 million raised), he has really fallen off ($7 million raised in the successive 3½ months). Combine that with a debate performance that was hardly confidence-inspiring, and he’s got lots of work to do to prove he wasn’t a flash in the pan. (Previous ranking: 5)

8. Former housing and urban development secretary Julián Castro: One poll showed Castro trailing only Harris when it came to who impressed people the most at the first debate. Fully 29 percent said he exceeded their expectations, behind Harris’s 50 percent. Unfortunately for him, he’s reaped almost no polling bounce from it. (Previous ranking: 12)

7. Sen. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.): Trump has been doing Klobuchar something of a favor by playing up his chances to win Minnesota. One of the senator’s strongest arguments is the huge margins she’s racked up in a key Midwestern state. (Previous ranking: 8)

6. South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg: He was the big fundraising winner in the second quarter, pulling in nearly $25 million. But his polling has plateaued if not regressed slightly. (Previous ranking: 7)

5. Former vice president Joe Biden: I’ve been bearish on Biden for a long time, and that continues to be the case. The good news for him is that his drop after the first debate wasn’t exactly precipitous, and he still leads big (though not quite by Hillary Clinton-like margins) among black voters. He also continues to poll best against Trump, which should remain central to his pitch, given its importance to primary voters. My question, though: Does all that continue to be the case once his primary opponents become better known? (Previous ranking: 6)

4. Sen. Cory Booker (N.J.): Booker is at around 1 to 2 percent in most polls, but he’s still an upside candidate. And he appears ready to take a step forward by engaging Biden. (Previous ranking: 4)

3. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.): The 2016 candidate been inching backward early in the 2020 race. We always wondered how devoted his 2016 base was to his 2020 campaign and how much of it was just an anti-Clinton vote. The answer doesn’t appear as great as Sanders probably hoped. His base isn’t the same as Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s (D-Mass.), but her rise certainly doesn’t help him. (Previous ranking: 1)

2. Sen. Kamala D. Harris (Calif.): Harris was the big winner of the first debate, but did she really capitalize? The main story line afterward was about how Harris has equivocated on issues including decriminalizing illegal border crossings and whether her single-payer health-care proposal would allow for private insurance. She even seemed to hew closer to Biden’s position on the issue she attacked him for: busing. Harris needs to be concerned about an emerging narrative that she’s trying to be all things to all people and doesn’t have true convictions. If she can do that, she’s clearly formidable. (Previous ranking: 2)

1. Sen Elizabeth Warren (Mass.): Warren has been the steady climber of the 2020 race, and she has done so with detailed policy proposals and passionate appeals rather than by jousting with her opponents. It’s not difficult to see the other candidates beating one another up and Warren — who appears tougher to attack given she’s got fewer liabilities with base voters — shooting the gap. She’s matched up with Sanders for the first time in the second debate, giving us the matchup we’ve been waiting for. (Previous ranking: 3)

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:33 am

CNN
Booker reaches donor threshold for future debate

(CNN) As Sen. Cory Booker prepares to take the stage this week for the CNN Democratic debate in Detroit, his campaign tells CNN that he has qualified to participate in the third debate coming up this fall.

Booker surpassed the higher threshold of 130,000 unique donors, his campaign said Monday, after having previously met the polling requirements for the debate, slated for September. Booker's campaign said more than a quarter of those donors contributed since the first June debate, when he dominated in speaking time among the candidates.

"We're building this campaign the right way, brick by brick from the grassroots up, and we're seeing the results of that strategy as we continue to build momentum," said Booker's campaign manager Addisu Demissie. "We're grateful to the tens of thousands of Americans who have chipped in to ensure Cory's voice will be heard in the Democratic debates this fall, and who believe in Cory's uplifting vision of building a more fair and just country for everyone." ...

Booker is the seventh Democratic candidate so far to check both boxes and guarantee a spot onstage for the fall debate, joining Biden, Sens. Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and former Rep. Beto O'Rourke.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:19 pm

The Guardian
'More than lip service': Detroit voters look for policy reform in Dems ...

With the second Democratic televised debates taking place in Detroit this week and 20 presidential candidates coming to town, Hebron wants to hear them discuss real ideas on gun control and reforming a justice system she says discriminates against black men.

“They look at these young men as not being salvageable, but [my son], he was a good kid,” said Hebron, a former circuit court employee who runs an urban farm in the city’s North End. “They put them all in one bucket. It’s systemic and they have to make changes, and it takes policy at the top to make changes, and it takes reform.”

If Democrats are hoping to avoid a repeat of 2016’s defeat by Donald Trump, turning out voters in Detroit – a city that is more than 80% black – is essential. Between 2008 and 2016, the number of Detroit voters who cast a ballot during presidential elections dropped from 335,000 to 247,000. The change helped swing the last election to Trump. Democratic candidates typically receive more than 95% of Detroit’s vote, and Trump won Michigan by a slim 10,000 votes.

Some voters in the city say motivating black voters there requires plans for addressing structural problems like those with which Hebron contends. ...

Though the media frequently represents Detroit as a “comeback story”, the reality is different. Downtown areas are rapidly gentrifying while many black neighborhoods continue down a long economic slide, partly because city hall directs the bulk of its resources to areas where white residents from the suburbs are moving to and investing in. Despite all the new development, the city’s tax base is barely growing as residential property values drop and politicians continue to hand wealthy developers tax incentives.

Meanwhile, the city’s median household income of $39,000 is among the nation’s lowest, and about half the city’s children live in poverty. Black residents receive only 34% of the dollars loaned in Detroit despite making up 80% of the population. That is high because some of the most dire neighborhoods have been ignored by city hall.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Associated Press: New rules for 2nd debate: No 1-word answers or show of hands
Detroit Freep: Detroit debate could make or break a candidate: Michigan is home to many flubs
NPR: Biden Promises No More Mr. Nice Guy In 2nd Democratic Debate
Politico: ‘He realizes now that he screwed up’: Biden scrambles to recover from debate flop

Even the former veep’s supporters wonder whether he can exercise the discipline necessary to execute a debate plan Wednesday.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 am

NPR: Your Guide To Tonight's Democratic Presidential Debate
CNN: These 4 questions will determine how the Democratic field shrinks
McClatchy: 2020 Democrats keep shifting left. Moderates fret they’ll shift even further at next debate
Boston Globe: Warren and Sanders could be targets of moderates instead of each other in debate
Politico: Democrats are veering left. It might just work

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Ryan didn't put his hand over his heart for the anthem. Bernie looks really old.

Warren and Sanders are sort of knocking each other out... not against each other, but they are not positive or hopeful or optimistic... really interesting, the moderates like Steve Bullock are making good points.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:23 pm

Return to “Presidential Election”