Democratic Debates 2020 Presidential

Addie

Re: Democratic Debates 2020 Presidential

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Politico: Andrew Yang to announce $120,000 giveaway during debate

Presidential candidate Andrew Yang will announce during Thursday night’s debate that his campaign will randomly select 10 families and give them a total of $120,000 over the next year as part of a pilot program for his universal basic income plan.
TIME: Andrew Yang Plans To Give Out $1,000 A Month to 10 Families. That May Be a Violation of Election Law, Experts Say

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:59 pm

A stunning rendition of the National Anthem brings down the house in Houston ahead of the #DemDebate. Make sure to watch until the last note: abcn.ws/DemDebate

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 pm

The FEC is closed, they don't have enough votes to do anything, it's shameful.

POLITICO said it was out of his own pocket, not campaign funds, so far -- it'll get attention and a lot of email addresses.

And here we go!
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 pm

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Presidential candidate Andrew Yang will announce during Thursday night’s debate that his campaign will randomly select 10 families and give them a total of $120,000 over the next year as part of a pilot program for his universal basic income plan.
I thought his plan was $1,000/mo per person, not per family. :confused:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 pm

You've got that right in terms of his plan. This thing tonight is a raffle just for the night.
neonzx wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:30 pm
Addie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:52 pm

I thought his plan was $1,000/mo per person, not per family. :confused:

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:30 pm

What were the protesters shouting? Anyone know?

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:40 am

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:51 am

Addie wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:30 pm
What were the protesters shouting? Anyone know?
I couldn't understand what they were shouting, but I found this article.
https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/democrat ... ortations/
While Vice President Joe Biden was speaking during the second night of the Democratic debates on Wednesday, hecklers began to shout “3 million deportations” to him.
:snippity:

As seen in the video below, the two hecklers also held up a banner that said “STOP ALL DEPORTATIONS ON DAY ONE.”

According to NPR, the heckling came from the Cosecha Movement, a collection of immigrants rights activists who had staged a protest in Detroit earlier that day.
:snippity:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:52 am

During the debate, Warren said something, I'm paraphrasing, like nobody loves their insurance. That's wrong. Medicare has its limits. I love my healthcare insurance. Having options is what people want, imho.

Most of you know I work with people with disabilities of all ages. People with only Medicare are usually poor and don't seek healthcare in early stages because they can't afford office visits. Even when in hospital, the aftercare is the problem - very limited.

One of the many things I do is create opportunities for seniors to be involved in positive ways with the community. Most are very concerned about personal safety because they see their friends suffer a fall, get a hip replacement, and never safely walk and be pain free again. It's the beginning of decline and death in their minds. PT is limited to 6 weeks or 12 sessions, IIRC.

I would be on Medicare if I had retired. And I'd still be in a wheelchair. My work insurance has been covering me for PT for 3 freaking years and got me back to walking.

I also lived in a country with medicare for all. It was wonderful, but it wasn't perfect. I was limited to local care when I had a mosquito infection from another location. Damn near killed me.

Options are what people want.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

realist

Post by realist » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 am

:yeah:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:35 am

I keep saying that Medicare isn't perfect. They're using it as an acronym for socialized medicine. Medicare is fine for day-to-day health care, but it sucks in the long term care department. Part A is free (well, nothing is free), but there's a fairly substantial deductible. I'm more in favor of health care based on the Canadian model. They ask where the money will come from. Well, where does the money come from in Canada? Why hasn't it ran their economy into the ground? I'd like someone to answer this question: If the car makers didn't have to provide health insurance for their employees and retirees, how much could the price be reduced on a $35,000 car? Ditto for every other product or service where the employer provides insurance. Almost every other first-world country provides health care for their citizens. What's so different about our economy that we can't?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:17 am

I believe Senator Warren said no one loves his or her health insurance company.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:17 am
I believe Senator Warren said no one loves his or her health insurance company.
I've long had a love/hate relationship with mine. Love them when the bills are paid, hate them when something gets denied and I have to fight tooth and nail to get it paid. And then there's the ever present clerical error...

Not sure Medicare For All would change that dynamic.
Goldie, one of our Chinese Cresteds, models her zombie hunter costume for the party.
ImageImageImage x4

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:28 am
Not sure Medicare For All would change that dynamic.
Two things to note about Medicare: 1) If the procedure is pre-approved, they will pay for it. 2) They do pay. Their usual disputes are with the healthcare provider and the patient isn't hounded for money in the meantime.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:30 am

What Stern said. Warren was talking about the crazy amount of phone calls and authorizations and the imposition of limits, not the monetary relief.

I'm on Medicare, managed by WellCare. I am happy with the fact that I pay very little even as my medical interactions steadily climb. But I LOATHE dealing with WellCare, which I do every. damn. day. Their member support via phone is horrific, in that their reps either do not know the answer to my question and I get bounced around, or they give me incorrect information. Like Verizon, they beat you down because no one knows.

WelllCare has a terrific Over the Counter plan--they give me 25 bucks a month for select products such as vitamins and toothpaste. That's 300 bucks a year, which I happily gobble up. But trying to get reimbursed is a crap shoot. File in the form, fax in the form and receipt, wait to get rejected or accepted, oops you were rejected because you made a type on the date on the form, or because even though the website says your 25 bucks for September is now available, the people reading your form say it isn't, so they only credited you with the 4.60 balance you had left over from last month so do it again. And you do it again, and they reject you because your receipt is now unclear as to what you are asking to be reimbursed for.

Not to mention the treatments I've had that were initially rejected. Because. Not to mention the burden to the medical providers, which is horrific.

I can't be bothered over Warren's use of "no one". It's right up there with Obama's "keep your doctor". English language usage is flexible enough to encompass generalizations of this type. Yes, there are always exceptions, but in this context it is clear that what she said and meant was "Insurance companies are brutal to deal with and we should change that."
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Closing Statements: Democratic candidates debate: Resiliency

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:25 pm

FiveThirtyEight
Who Won The Third Democratic Debate?

To better understand which candidates did well or poorly Thursday night, we plotted how favorably respondents rated the candidates before the debate vs. how debate-watchers rated their performance. Warren was one of the better-liked candidates going into the debate, but her performance was still rated higher than we’d expect based on her favorability alone. The same was true of Booker, Buttigieg and (especially) O’Rourke. Interestingly, Klobuchar didn’t get a great debate rating, but it’s not bad considering her pre-debate favorability, which was pretty neutral. Biden (who’s very popular among Democrats) and Castro stand out for performing worse than expected given their pre-debate favorability. ...

In terms of raw debate grades — respondents graded on a four-point scale (higher scores are better — Warren, Buttigieg and O’Rourke did best. Booker, Sanders, Biden and Harris did fine. Again, the person who stands out most is Castro, who got the worst marks (perhaps for his memorable attacks on Biden). ...

There wasn’t much movement in respondents’ average estimates of how likely each candidate would be to defeat Trump in the general election. Most candidates saw their average likelihood increase, but only marginally. Klobuchar saw the largest bump, 2.6 percentage points, followed by Warren and Yang. ...

We asked likely Democratic primary voters how favorably they felt about each candidate both before and after the debate. As you can see, among the polling front-runners, Biden and Sanders’s favorability ratings remained relatively unchanged, while Warren’s net favorability jumped 7 points. In fact, only O’Rourke faired better than Warren; his net favorability rating jumped nearly 9 points. But not all candidates made a positive impression. Castro’s net favorability, for instance, dropped by nearly 7 points this time, after getting a big boost in the first debate.
Electability:

Candidate Pre-debate Post-debate Change

Joe Biden 68.3 67.5 -0.8
Bernie Sanders 55.7 55.5 -0.2
Elizabeth Warren 51.4 53.8 +2.
Kamala Harris 40.2 41.3 +1.1
Beto O’Rourke 33.6 35.6 +1.9
Pete Buttigieg 33.4 35.4 +1.9
Cory Booker 32.0 34.0 +2.1
Julián Castro 25.4 26.4 +1.1
Amy Klobuchar 23.3 25.8 +2.6
Andrew Yang 23.1 25.5 +2.4

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:24 pm

Political Wire
Ratings Show Interest In Democratic Primaries Is High

CNN: “Thursday night’s debate featuring ten presidential candidates brought a big audience to ABC. The network’s ratings were head and shoulders above everything else on TV Thursday night.”

“Total viewership numbers will be released on Friday afternoon. But very preliminary numbers, known as the ‘overnights,’ show that the debate well exceeded 10 million viewers.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:43 pm

New York Times: The Times and CNN Will Host the Next Democratic Debate in Ohio

The Democratic National Committee has announced that the next debate will be held on Oct. 15, with a possible second night on Oct. 16.

The Democratic National Committee announced Friday that the debate would be held in Westerville, Ohio, on the campus of Otterbein University. The moderators will be the CNN anchors Anderson Cooper and Erin Burnett as well as The Times’s National editor, Marc Lacey.

So far 11 candidates have qualified for the CNN/New York Times debate — the 10 Democrats who appeared in Thursday night’s debate on ABC, as well as the businessman Tom Steyer, who recently qualified for the next one. Other candidates have until the end of the day on Oct. 1 to meet the qualifying standards.

The criteria for October are the same as those for September: Candidates must have 130,000 unique donors and register at least 2 percent support in four qualifying polls.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 pm

CNN
ABC debate notches 14 million viewers, a sign that interest in primaries is still strong

New York (CNN Business) If you're wondering whether interest in the Democratic primary process has cooled off, check the Nielsen ratings and stop wondering.

Thursday night's debate featuring ten presidential candidates averaged 14 million viewers across ABC and Univision. The debate ratings were head and shoulders above everything else on TV Thursday night.

The core of the debate started around 8:15 p.m. ET, right after the candidates delivered opening statements. About 12.9 million viewers were tuned in on ABC and another 1.1 million on Univision, which presented the debate in Spanish.

The Nielsen ratings only account for viewership at home via traditional TV distribution. Out of home and streaming viewership is measured separately.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Donald's missing an opportunity by not having debates with his "three stooges". Wait till that sinks in that 14 million (just on TV) watched. :lol:

Re the debate, Twitter is becoming less and less useful. At least, they should have an identity verified version (like Facebook), and you wouldn't see outside the walled garden unless you opted in. Why they haven't gotten to this is frustrating.

Most-shared links during debate were pro-Trump tweets pushed by bots

More than 1,000 accounts across several different social media platforms with suspicious, bot-like characteristics helped push quote tweets, a tweet that is retweeted but additional text is added, from Donald Trump campaign accounts during the third primary debate, according to an analysis provided to Axios by social media intelligence company Storyful. Those tweets accounted for the top 3 most-shared links across several social media platforms, including Facebook, Reddit, etc., during the debate.

Why it matters: Despite attempts by social media companies to weed out malicious behavior online, automated accounts are still driving a large part of the social conversation around political events.

Details: Storyful analyzed a total of 1.4 million posts made to public mainstream social platforms over 7 hours before, during and after the debate. The top 3 tweets, which came from legitimate accounts, together received over 15,500 retweets, thanks in large part to activity from accounts that demonstrated bot-like or automated behaviors.

The most-shared tweet came from @TeamTrump, the official Twitter account for the Trump Campaign, and contained a video of a pro-Trump banner flown over the debate location. The third-most shared tweet, which came from @TrumpWarRoom, also contained the same video.
The second most-shared tweet, also from @TrumpWarRoom, used a video to push back Sen. Cory Booker’s claim during the debate that Trump had not condemned white supremacists.
Other takeaways:

AOC ad sparks anger: Storyful also found that there was a lot of social media criticism from people complaining about an ad that ran during the debate attacking Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. While the ad ran on Sinclair Broadcast Group affiliate stations, Storyful found that a lot of the angst was geared toward ABC and Disney.
https://www.axios.com/most-shared-links ... ac2d7.html

I saw Scott Dworkin and others angry at ABC. Turns out it was Sinclair. People really need to think before they post when they have a lot of followers, that's sloppy.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:59 am

FiveThirtyEight: The Third Democratic Debate In 7 Charts

Adding:
Mother Jones - Kevin Drum: After Last Night’s Debate, We’re in a Two-Person Race

I suppose I’m glad to see that my instincts were mostly confirmed. Of the top-tier candidates, Warren did well and Harris did poorly. Another chart shows that Julián Castro’s dig at Biden’s memory was disastrous for him. The only (minor) surprise to me is that Andrew Yang scored slightly positively.

For the time being, this is basically a two-person race. Sanders has never been a serious contender, no matter what the polling says, and Harris is slowly slipping into oblivion. It’s Biden vs. Warren.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Morning Consult: Next Time, Voters Want a Health Care Debate That Hits Closer to Home

47% plurality of voters who saw 3rd Democratic debate want to know how candidates' plans affect personal costs

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 pm

Politico: DNC set to squeeze Dem debate stage again

The 2020 Democratic field is eagerly awaiting the next round of DNC debate criteria, which could shrink participation again in November.

Return to “Presidential Election”