Beto O'Rourke 2020

GreatGrey

Re: Beto O'Rourke 2020

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:32 pm

Yeah, this never happened at any Trump property.

Beto O'Rourke's home: Pancho Villa and Gen. Hugh Scott met in 1915 at Sunset Heights house

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/ ... 214345002/

Sunset Heights is one of the oldest parts of El Paso. 100 years ago it was the swanky area, Pancho Villa even had a house there.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Associated Press
Centrist or moderate? Beto O’Rourke drives in both lanes

As a presidential candidate, Beto O'Rourke has moved more to the center than he did last fall, when he nearly upset incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas.

At a packed eastern Iowa house party, a staffer for Democrat Beto O’Rourke’s presidential campaign tried to clear enough space for the candidate to reach the kitchen, where he would need to climb a stepladder to address the crowd.

“I need my lane,” the staffer bellowed as he moved through the crowd. “Beto’s coming right through here.”

Somewhere in the rows of pressed-together faces, a spectator quipped: “But which lane is it? The liberal lane? Some other lane?”

That’s a prophetic question for one of the 2020 field’s most unconventional candidates. In a primary that has so far been defined by progressive energy, the former Texas congressman with a scant political resume is trying to avoid definition. He left a distinctly moderate record behind in Congress and, in the early days of his presidential campaign, has vowed to work with Republicans and woo voters who backed Donald Trump in 2016. But he’s also hit progressive talking points on everything from white privilege to marijuana legalization.

The architects of his campaign insist he’s not interested in adhering to a particular ideological lane, and O’Rourke himself shuns party labels. But trying to have it both ways could leave Democratic voters with the impression that O’Rourke is a candidate with a split political personality.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:51 am

SevendaysVT
The Ex-Bernie Staffers Behind Beto's Campaign

When former Texas congressman Beto O’Rourke finally announced his presidential campaign Thursday morning, an experienced crew of digital strategists was ready to make the most of the moment, through social media engagement and small-dollar fundraising.

It wasn’t their first rodeo. Many of O’Rourke’s key staffers — particularly from his online team — spent the 2016 campaign working for another crowd-pleasing populist: Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

At least eight former Sanderistas have decamped to O’Rourke’s campaign, according to online records. Several held top jobs on the Vermonter’s 2016 campaign before joining up with the Texan’s 2018 U.S. Senate race and 2020 presidential run.

“I have friends in both campaigns whose skills and talents I admire, but Bernie’s loss is Beto’s gain,” said Michael Briggs, who served as Sanders’ top spokesman in 2016 and who has not joined a 2020 campaign.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:31 am

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:07 pm

USA Today
Beto O'Rourke rallies in Texas kick-off in El Paso, blocks from US-Mexico border

EL PASO, Texas – Beto O'Rourke stood on a platform Saturday morning in the multicultural heart of downtown El Paso's shopping district – only blocks from the U.S.-Mexico border – challenging President Donald Trump's immigration policies.

"With Cuidad Juarez, we form the largest bi-national community in this hemisphere and, for 20 years running, we have been one of the safest cities in America," O'Rourke said, adding that the safety comes not in spite of immigrants and asylum seekers but because of them.

"We have learned not to fear our differences but to respect and embrace them," O'Rourke said.

When O'Rourke announced that he would run for president last month, he promised that he would return to his hometown for a March 30 rally.

The rally was the first of three events for the former U.S. congressman in Texas on Saturday.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:53 am

Political Wire
O’Rourke Rails Against Concentration of Power and Wealth

“Beto O’Rourke, christening his presidential campaign at a boisterous rally in his hometown, cast himself on Saturday as a crusader against moneyed interests that he said have corrupted America’s democracy and a president he accused of capitalizing on politics of “fear and division,'” Politico reports.

“In what amounted to his maiden stump speech — delivered at the first large-scale, structured event of his nascent campaign — O’Rourke’s populist progressive framing evoked similar appeals from rivals Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.”

Said O’Rourke: “This extraordinary, unprecedented concentration of wealth and power and privilege must be broken apart and opportunity must be shared with all.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Talking Points Memo
Beto O'Rourke Raises $9.4M In First 18 Days As Presidential Candidate

Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-TX) raised $9.4 million in his first 18 days in the presidential campaign, an impressive sum but a fundraising rate that may be hard to sustain going forward.

That haul puts O’Rourke in the top tier of presidential campaign fundraising, and on a per-day basis puts him ahead of the rest of the field, at over a half-million dollars a day. But it includes almost $6 million in O’Rourke’s first day as a candidate, generally a top fundraising day for campaigns and one that can be hard to recreate later. O’Rourke’s campaign didn’t release how many individual donors made contributions. But O’Rourke’s average $48 donation means he can keep coming back to his huge network of online supporters time and again — the same method that he used to set Senate fundraising records in his 2018 bid against Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX).

“Not only is this a sign of our grassroots strength during the first two weeks of our campaign but it is a sign of what’s possible when you put your full trust in the people of this country,” O’Rourke said in a statement.

O’Rourke’s total fundraising haul puts him currently behind only Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Kamala Harris (D-CA), who raised $18.2 million and $12 million respectively for the race. South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) raised $7 million since he entered the race, a strong showing for a candidate who began the campaign with little name recognition. The other candidates haven’t put their first-quarter fundraising toplines out yet, a sign that they’re not likely to impress.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:48 am

Newsweek
Beto O’Rourke Compares Green New Deal to World War II, Says It Requires That Scale of 'Sacrifice'

Former Texas congressman and Democratic presidential hopeful Beto O’Rourke has asserted his backing for the Green New Deal, spearheaded by Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, comparing the battle against climate change to World War II.

O’Rourke, who rose to national fame vying for Republican Ted Cruz’s Senate seat, made the comments framing climate change as an existential crisis akin to WWII and the Great Depression while campaigning at the University of Virginia.

"One of the reasons I like Representative Ocasio-Cortez's proposed Green New Deal is that it calls to mind another time in this country's past when we faced an existential challenge in that case, it was to our way of life to the western democracies, to our allies in Europe, to our fellow Americans," the El Paso Democrat said to applause.

"In the midst of the Great Depression, this country was willing to sacrifice men and women all over the United States to make sure that we defeated Germany and we won that war. And for the following 75 years that we made this world safe for democracy. The Green New Deal calls that sacrifice and service in scale, scale of commitment when it talks about the challenges that we face today," O’Rourke added, while talking on a staircase to hundreds of students at the Virgina college.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:55 am

Clunk.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:08 pm

BuzzFeed News
A Top Adviser To Beto O’Rourke Has Left His Presidential Campaign

Becky Bond has left O’Rourke’s fledgling presidential campaign, an O’Rourke spokesperson confirmed. Her deputy, Zack Malitz, has also departed. ...

Bond, a longtime progressive activist and organizer known for her work on O’Rourke’s 2018 Senate bid against Republican Ted Cruz, left the campaign along with her deputy Zack Malitz. Malitz worked closely with Bond on Sen. Bernie Sanders’ first presidential campaign in 2016.

The departures come as O’Rourke, the former Texas congressman, has sought to professionalize a campaign operation that was, in its earliest days, small and freewheeling. O’Rourke announced his run for the presidency less than a month ago. ...

She and Malitz committed to support O’Rourke’s team in 2020 at a time when some progressives, including a handful of Sanders allies, were critical of the Texas congressman. Several of Sanders’ former advisors still work for O’Rourke.

As a presidential candidate, O’Rourke has tacked more towards the center of the party, saying early in his campaign that he was “no longer sure” that the single-payer Medicare for All bill written by Sanders, which he said he supported in his Senate race, was “the fastest way” to achieve universal health care. He's instead backed a plan that gives people the option to buy into Medicare.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:18 am

CBS News: Beto O'Rourke rolls out climate plan with $1.5 trillion federal investment

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 04, 2019 10:29 am

ABC News
Pete Buttigieg heckled by homophobic protesters; Beto O'Rourke stands up for fellow candidate

Presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg was heckled by protesters at an event in Texas Friday night, but one of his fellow Democratic challengers was happy to immediately come to his defense.

Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, was speaking at the Dallas County Democratic Party's Johnson Jordan Dinner Friday when he was interrupted on several occasions by anti-gay remarks.

The protesters yelled, "Marriage is between a man and a woman," and, "Repent," according to CNN reporter DJ Judd, who was in the audience. Judd also filmed footage of a woman being ushered out of the venue for making anti-abortion comments. ...

"Texans don’t stand for this kind of homophobia and hatred," O'Rourke wrote. "Mayor Pete, we are grateful you came to Texas and hope to see you and Chasten back again soon."

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am

Union Leader
In Salem, Beto O'Rourke says rival's gun control plans go 'too far'

SALEM — Former Democratic Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke marked his third presidential campaign visit to the Granite State by drawing a line in the sand on the issue of gun control between himself and 2020 rival Sen. Cory Booker.

Following a Thursday evening event on the banks of Salem’s Millville Lake, O’Rourke told reporters that he thought Booker’s recent call for a federal licensing program for the purchase and ownership of firearms went too far.

“I come from, just like New Hampshire, a very proud, gun-owning state,” O’Rourke said.

“People who use firearms responsibly for hunting; for self protection; for collection. I think relying on the responsibility and accountability that gun owners feel, matching that with universal background checks, stopping the sales of weapons of war, that’s the perfect way to complement the responsible gun ownership that we see in this country right now. I don’t know if we need to take the step of licensing every single firearm to every single owner — I think that may be too far.”

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun May 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am
Union Leader
“I come from, just like New Hampshire, a very proud, gun-owning state,” O’Rourke said.

“People who use firearms responsibly for hunting; for self protection; for collection. I think relying on the responsibility and accountability that gun owners feel, matching that with universal background checks, stopping the sales of weapons of war, that’s the perfect way to complement the responsible gun ownership that we see in this country right now. I don’t know if we need to take the step of licensing every single firearm to every single owner — I think that may be too far.”
Note to O'Rourke: All states are proud. And the issue isn't that a "state is gun owning" (his phrasing). If he means people are gun owning in that state, gee, I bet that applies to pretty much all 50.

Hunters, sportsmen, target shooters, collectors, etc., shouldn't have a problem with having all their weapons licensed.

Who would have a problem? Who? I just can't think of it.

O'Rourke — not a fan.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Beto O'Rourke needs to drop out of the race.

It's not that he wouldn't make a great president (he would). It's not that I disagree with his ideas (I don't).

It's that my maiden name is O'Rourke and every time I see his name in a headline I think it's about someone in my family and it is *so* distracting.

So Beto, if you're reading here -- :wave: -- just do me a favor and drop out already.

P.S. If you win the primary I'll be so happy to vote for you. It'd be cool to have an O'Rourke in the White House.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 13, 2019 3:39 pm

The Hill
Beto O'Rourke to appear in CNN town hall

Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D-Texas) will be featured in a CNN town hall event on May 21, according to the network.

The 2020 presidential contender, who narrowly lost to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) in the Texas Senate race in 2018, will be joined onstage by moderator Dana Bash at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. Bash serves as the network's senior political correspondent.

The town hall will air at 10 p.m. ET.

O'Rourke has failed to gain much traction in recent 2020 polls after his high-profile Senate run.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Mon May 13, 2019 4:18 pm

:bighug:
Addie wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am
Union Leader

SALEM — Former Democratic Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke marked his third presidential campaign visit to the Granite State by drawing a line in the sand on the issue of gun control between himself and 2020 rival Sen. Cory Booker.

Following a Thursday evening event on the banks of Salem’s Millville Lake, O’Rourke told reporters that he thought Booker’s recent call for a federal licensing program for the purchase and ownership of firearms went too far.

Practically very (extremely) few in the US need a firearm for "self protection ". A red herring. I'm deeply disappointed.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon May 20, 2019 11:44 am

Politico
O'Rourke stocks campaign with Obama and Clinton alums

Two new hires show he's trying to run a more buttoned-down operation than his improvisational Senate bid.

Beto O’Rourke is adding a pair of seasoned strategists to his campaign, injecting a measure of establishment credibility that was lacking in his improvisational Senate bid against Ted Cruz last year.

Lauren Brainerd, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee’s field director in 2018, has been hired as national organizing director. And Lise Clavel, who worked in former Vice President Joe Biden’s office as director of public engagement and for Barack Obama's 2012 reelection, has been named states director, campaign sources told POLITICO.

The moves are an attempt by O’Rourke to shift toward a more mainstream operation after a Senate run in which his campaign focused heavily — almost indiscriminately — on voter turnout. Though O’Rourke’s effort in Texas resulted in a closer-than-expected loss to Cruz, his advisers have acknowledged that campaigning against a field of other high-profile Democrats will require a more precise targeting of voters, especially in early-nominating states.

O’Rourke’s efforts to bring veteran staffers on board has come as a relief to supporters who feared his unorthodox campaign in Texas — largely an effort to turn out hundreds of thousands of inactive voters — lacked the discipline necessary for a presidential campaign.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue May 21, 2019 10:54 pm

He is on CNN now for a town hall. He doesn't look very relaxed.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue May 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Turtle wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:54 pm
Watching. I'm just not feeling him -- and haven't. I don't find him as genuine -- a lot of lip service. I might be wrong.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed May 22, 2019 4:30 am

neonzx wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:10 pm
Turtle wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:54 pm
Watching. I'm just not feeling him -- and haven't. I don't find him as genuine -- a lot of lip service. I might be wrong.
I don’t think you are.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:34 am

Texas Tribune
O'Rourke nearly triples Iowa staff as focus grows on first 2020 voters

Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke has nearly tripled his Iowa staff as the former El Paso congressman puts a growing emphasis on the first-in-the-nation caucus state.

His campaign announced Friday morning that it now has 44 staffers in Iowa, including 37 organizers tasked with spreading out across the state to build support for the candidate. That's up from 16 Iowa staffers in late April.

The organizers are holding a "Statewide Weekend of Action" this weekend, canvassing in regions throughout the state. O'Rourke himself is set to arrive later next week for a trip during which he will open an office in Cedar Rapids, his campaign's first Iowa outpost beyond its Des Moines headquarters.

O'Rourke's ramped-up activity in Iowa makes clearer than ever how important he views the state to his 2020 prospects. By his campaign's count, he has held more events and visited more counties in Iowa than any other 2020 candidate. His four-day swing next week will be his fifth trip to the state since launching his campaign in mid-March, while he has visited two other critical early voting states, New Hampshire and South Carolina, three times and twice, respectively.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 am

The Hill
O'Rourke rolls out sweeping elections, government reform proposal

Democratic presidential hopeful Beto O’Rourke rolled out a sweeping government and elections reform proposal on Tuesday, one that would set term limits for members of Congress and Supreme Court justices and place sharp restrictions on political contributions from corporations and wealthy individuals.

The former Texas congressman will highlight the proposal during a voting rights-focused town hall event in Atlanta, Ga., Wednesday night.

The plan, O’Rourke’s third policy rollout since announcing his presidential bid in March, is made up of three parts: "Increase participation in our Democracy," "Remove barriers within our Democracy," and "Rebuild Confidence in Our Democracy.”

“We’re facing some of the greatest challenges of our lifetimes, and we can’t solve them with half-measures or only half our people—it’s going to take all of us,” O’Rourke said.

“The only way to make progress is if every single American is empowered to vote — and those who have historically been drawn out of our Democracy are able to make their voices heard so that this country can live up to its full promise and potential.”

O’Rourke’s campaign said the plan would add 50 million people to U.S. voter rolls and increase voter turnout to 65 percent by 2024. That figure would be about 10 percent higher than in the 2016 presidential election, during which turnout dipped to about 55 percent, a 20-year low.
Adding:
The Atlantic: Beto’s Term-Limits Plan Is Just What Democrats Need

The specific initiative is a bad idea, but it’s the sort of systemic reform voters are craving.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Reuters
Democrat presidential hopeful Beto O'Rourke outlines LGBTQ policy proposal

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential hopeful Beto O’Rourke on Wednesday outlined his proposal to improve gay rights in the United States and to reverse what he called “discriminatory policies” under President Donald Trump.

“LGBTQ+ Americans have made incredible progress over the past decade, thanks in large part to the tireless efforts of activists and advocates — but too many LGBTQ+ people still lack protection under many states’ laws and the current Administration is encouraging rather than stamping out discrimination,” O’Rourke, a former U.S. representative, said in a statement announcing the proposals.

Coinciding with June’s designation as Gay Pride Month, O’Rourke joined other Democratic presidential candidates this month in calling for more federal action to protect gay rights. ...

First, he would issue a series of executive orders to reverse Trump policies. His proposals include ending the ban on transgender troops in the military and reversing a policy that allowed federally funded adoption agencies to reject gay parents.

He would prioritize ending current policies that greatly restrict gay men from donating blood. He also called for measures to protect transgender women from violence.

Among other examples, he promised to allow migrants seeking asylum to qualify as a “vulnerable population” if they are gay.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 am

Politico: Beto goes after Biden: 'A return to the past'

Dropping in polls, the Texan amends his policy against attacking his Democratic rivals.

Return to “Presidential Election”