Beto O'Rourke 2020

p0rtia

Re: Beto O'Rourke 2020

Post by p0rtia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Beto is pretty far down my list and not at all likely to get my primary vote. Tired of white men, though young is good; not enough experience; not crazy about the content of his message.

Curious to know if he is top one or two for anyone here at this point.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:07 pm

He's got a style that works for him, but so far I'm not sensing the substance. Also, his voting record is odd. I'm not dismissing him outright, just watching.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:49 pm

He's close to the bottom of my list, too. His claim to fame is that he didn't win an election against the most-hated man in the Senate. He doesn't have much of a track record and what I've seen I don't particularly like; he doesn't seem particularly progressive and wasn't ready with any answers to questions when he rolled out his candidacy. I don't see him with enough experience, certainly not nearly as much as many of the women he's running against. I know he raised a lot of money against Cruz, but I think he raised that money because of Cruz. I'm not sure how that translate to raising money for a national election when there's a wide field at the moment.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 pm

I think the biggest reason that I like him, and I do, is that every time I look at him I see Bobby Kennedy. I dunno why.....and weird coincidence with his real name being Robert Francis.....
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 am

He's fairly high on my list right now. I don't like the lack of experience, but I did like the way he campaigned against Cruz. I particularly liked his ability to engage on issues over personality.

I wouldn't say he's at the top yet, but definitely in the top three.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 am

The Atlantic: O’Rourke Mostly Gets a Pass for His Lack of Specifics

The former Texas congressman is confident in his savant understanding of tactics in the time of Trump and social-media celebrity.
Oy vey:
Politico: O'Rourke 'not ... proud' of teenage murder fantasy writing

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:56 am

An acquaintance posted that O'Rourke tickles his "BS" radar. I've had that feeling too. Apparently his votes and other details show he's not especially progressive, and I don't like his attitude at times.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am

I agree that he's not particularly progressive. I don't see that, particularly given my own views, as a huge negative.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am
I agree that he's not particularly progressive. I don't see that, particularly given my own views, as a huge negative.
Surely electability must be the first criterion for a Democratic candidate? Of course everyone wishes to have a candidate whose views align with their own, but electability must come first. Not being progressive might help with that … it's not as though Trump won the election by being progressive.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Watched a bit of MSNBC this AM lauding Beto's ability to raise money, based on the Senate campaign. Pundits agreed that his charisma and ability to get bucks make him a serious contender.

FTR, though he is not in my top five for pres, I gave $$ to Beto during the Senate campaign. I would have given money to a squirrel in a tuxedo if I had thought it had a chance of beating Cruz--which I did.

"Electability?" I think this is a weasel word that covers a multitude of sins and means something different every time I turn around and absolutely nothing on verge of nuclear winter or climate hell. I suggest we avoid it unless we include specific descriptors.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
I do in the sense that I am getting an idea he's not being honest.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:13 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:13 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Surely electability must be the first criterion for a Democratic candidate?
I'm not sure. I can't think of anyone less appealing to the "other side" and therefore "less electable" in a general election than the OSG.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Honestly, I think "electability" is a shitty metric that means nothing and will be used against everyone on one side and not on the other. Its a propaganda metric sent into the interwebs by trolls and used by them to lay impossible standards on candidates. And it will be used to hit the cracks on the Democrats in Social media. E.G. "This guy/gal does not have electability! Like Hillary didn't!" *Instant fistfight*

And yam I know that's kinda my answer to everything, that "trolls did it" but sometimes its fukken true, and in this social media saturated world you better be alert to those subtle forms of manipulation. Because real people are there, doing it.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:41 am

The Hill
O'Rourke: 'It would be very difficult not to select a woman' as running mate

Democratic presidential candidate Beto O’Rourke said late Saturday that it would be "very difficult" not to select a woman as his running mate if he wins his party’s nomination in 2020.

"It would be very difficult not to select a woman with so many extraordinary women who are running right now," he said during a campaign stop in Dubuque, Iowa, the Dallas Morning News reported.

"But first I would have to win,” he said. “You know, this is as open as it has ever been."

O’Rourke added that it would be "presumptuous" to think about a vice presidential selection, according to the newspaper.

He later told someone attending the event that it would be his "preference" to select a female running mate, the Morning News added.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 am

The New Yorker - Bill McKibben
How to Tell If Beto O’Rourke Is for Real: A Green New Deal and Natural Gas

Listening to Beto O’Rourke, who, in a video posted on Thursday, announced that he is running for President, it’s hard not to admire his buoyantly, even boyishly, optimistic conviction that, if we all simply connect, we can fashion a kinder America. He comes across as the anti-Trump, reaching out to the best in us. In his announcement video, O’Rourke says that “this moment of peril produces perhaps the greatest moment of promise for this country.” He then outlines the issues that a resolved nation can tackle—jobs, health care, racism, immigration—before adding, “Perhaps most importantly of all, because our very existence depends on it, we can unleash the ingenuity and creativity of millions of Americans who want to insure that we squarely confront the challenge of climate change, before it’s too late.” That’s an essential goal, and, in the coming weeks, the candidate could demonstrate how he can help the country achieve it by clarifying his stance on a seemingly narrow issue: natural gas.

Last October, in the heart of Texas hydrocarbon country and in the final weeks of his Senate contest with Ted Cruz, O’Rourke told the Midland Reporter-Telegram that “the natural gas that we use as a cleaner energy source here in this country could be something that replaces coal-fired plants in China, in India—two of the largest economies on the planet that are burning coal and contributing to climate change. I’d much rather they burn natural gas from Texas that’s connected to jobs here.”

On Thursday, in Keokuk, Iowa, during his first campaign appearance as a Presidential candidate, O’Rourke praised the Green New Deal, particularly its call to “get to net-zero emissions.” He said, “We have no more than twelve years to take incredibly bold action on this.” To be clear, the Green New Deal envisions burning no natural gas for electricity by 2030 and instead generating power from renewable sources. No one is calling for immediately shutting down natural-gas-fired power plants, but if you’re for a Green New Deal, you probably should make clear that you’re against building new plants and the pipelines that feed them. ...

By 2019, though, climate change has progressed to the point where a middle-of-the-road, all-of-the-above strategy is impossible: less for reasons of politics, where it may always be the easiest to sell, than for reasons of physics. O’Rourke, who has been strong on a range of other environmental issues, could conceivably be a central figure in the transition to renewable energy. Oil and gas may still be dominant in Texas, but O’Rourke’s home state also has the largest wind-power capacity in the country, and it is one of the five largest producers of solar energy. And, in 2017, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that solar photovoltaic installers and wind-turbine-service technicians are the fastest-growing occupations in the country. So, just as it took a politician of the right, Richard Nixon, to open up relations with China, a Texan might be just the person to persuade oil-and-gas workers that their futures can lie in building solar installations and wind farms—and to stand up to the fossil-fuel companies and the PACs that have so dominated our politics. Because we’ve run out of spare decades in which to play political games.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 am

O’Rourke added that it would be "presumptuous" to think about a vice presidential selection, according to the newspaper.
Right after he said he'd likely have to pick a woman. :?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Reuters
O'Rourke candidacy asks: Can a moderate white male win the 2020 Democratic primary?

MOUNT VERNON, Iowa (Reuters) - As he had done at several stops in his first campaign trip as a presidential candidate, Beto O’Rourke on Friday climbed atop a counter at a local Iowa business and addressed a small but adoring crowd. People clapped and cheered. Outside, some waited in the cold, hoping to catch a glimpse of him.

By that measure, his tour across eastern Iowa last week was largely a success. But by no means was O’Rourke considered a front-runner. And that underscored the challenge he faces as he competes for the 2020 Democratic nomination.

O’Rourke, a former three-term U.S. congressman from Texas, became a celebrity last year when his longshot bid to unseat U.S. Senator Ted Cruz drew national attention and a torrent of money. But ultimately, his fame was not enough.

That loss led some critics to wonder why someone who couldn’t secure a Senate seat would then think he should run for president.

That is not his only obstacle. O’Rourke, 46, is a wealthy, white man from a conservative-leaning state who is more moderate on several key issues than many of his competitors. Given the energy among progressives in the early stages of the race and the diversity of the Democratic field, O’Rourke would appear to be everything that many in party say they do not want.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 am

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

NEW: Beto O'Rourke raised $6,136,736 online in the first 24 hours after announcing his presidential campaign last week, according to his campaign.
Sam Stein @samstein

the operating theory two days ago was that Beto wasnt releasing his fundraising number because it was bad and he could only raise money if he ran against Ted Cruz. Today he announced he raised 6.1m in 24 hours.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/us/p ... ising.html
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:51 am

That loss led some critics to wonder why someone who couldn’t secure a Senate seat would then think he should run for president.
Because some dude named Linkum did exactly that and won? :think:

'Course, that was a while back. :smoking:
O’Rourke would appear to be everything that many in party say they do not want.
Include me in.
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 am

I woke the house up laughing when I read this.

All weekend the pundits were writing Beto off over his “lack of fundraising”, then BOOM.
neonzx wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 am

NEW: Beto O'Rourke raised $6,136,736 online in the first 24 hours after announcing his presidential campaign last week, according to his campaign.
Sam Stein @samstein

the operating theory two days ago was that Beto wasnt releasing his fundraising number because it was bad and he could only raise money if he ran against Ted Cruz. Today he announced he raised 6.1m in 24 hours.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am

Also, too:
CNN: Still, a sign that his campaign had began with a massive fundraising haul came Saturday night when O'Rourke -- who is playing catch-up in hiring staffers as one of the last major Democratic candidates to launch -- told reporters in Dubuque, Iowa, that he would support his campaign unionizing, as Sanders had, and hoped to pay the highest wages and benefits of any presidential contender.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:04 am

Wow, the BetnieBots are all verklempt over Beto’s fundraising. I just had a couple of them tell me it was all money from big donors or his father in law.

The cult of Bernie is as delusional as the Trumpkins.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:37 pm

CNN
Beto O'Rourke in talks with veteran Democratic strategist to become campaign manager

(CNN)Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke is in discussions with veteran Democratic strategist Jen O'Malley Dillon to become his campaign manager, a source familiar with the discussions told CNN.

O'Rourke told reporters in Milwaukee on Sunday that he is "in talks" with someone to become his campaign manager and has offered the job to one person. He did not say who that person is.

O'Rourke and O'Malley Dillon met at South by Southwest to discuss the role last Saturday, aides tell CNN, and they talked about the possibility of her joining the campaign in a subsequent call. She remains uncertain about the role, a source said, but is likely to decide this week.

It is unusual for a high-profile campaign like O'Rourke's to launch without a campaign manager. He has met with several people, aides said, but has yet to be successful in hiring someone to lead the campaign efforts from its headquarters in El Paso, Texas.

O'Rourke's campaign declined to comment, and O'Malley Dillon did not return requests for comment.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 am
I woke the house up laughing when I read this.

All weekend the pundits were writing Beto off over his “lack of fundraising”, then BOOM.
neonzx wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 am

Sam Stein @samstein

My $36 were in that bundle! I'm all in for Beto. I did phone banking for him, last Fall.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm

Politico Mag: Here’s What Beto Could Unleash on Trump

Return to “Presidential Election”