Re: Beto O'Rourke 2020

Post by p0rtia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am
I want a woman to head the ticket.
Uh oh. :shock:

Did you see how much trouble I had for saying I wanted someone under 70 years old?

You in a heap of trouble, girlfriend!
I really need to get going on that press release, or ya'll are never gonna let me alone. :daydream:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:50 am

One more of these.

New York Mag - Ed Kilgore
When Barack Met Beto

From the beginning, the audacious idea of Texas congressman Beto O’Rourke running for president in 2020 has been given vital heft by its indirect association with Barack Obama. Multiple former Obama aides have waxed enthusiastic about the idea, not showing any reluctance to make comparisons between the young and inexperienced senator who jumped into a presidential race in February of 2007 and the equally young and inexperienced near-senator of 2018 ...

Presumably Obama, like most everyone else in Democratic politics, was impressed by O’Rourke’s phenomenal small-dollar fundraising and his ability to draw progressive activists everywhere into an uphill fight in a red state against incumbent Ted Cruz, the runner-up for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination. He’s very unlikely to endorse Beto or anyone else before the 2020 primaries are fully underway, certainly so long as his two-term vice-president Joe Biden, his close friend Deval Patrick, and potentially multiple members of his Cabinet are still considering campaigns.

But the association with Obama, however informal, is worth its weight in gold to O’Rourke. It provides him cover for his short résumé in elected office; Obama had been in the Senate for just three years when he announced for president while the Texan had six years of service in the House. And perhaps even more important, it helps O’Rourke overcome his lack of a clear ideological or racial/ethnic advantage in what looks to be an incredibly diverse field. Being thought of as potentially “the next Obama” is particularly potent in Iowa, where Democrats are still proud of their role in lifting the 44th president into contention in 2008. If he runs and can get through the initial contests, the Texas primary on March 3 (the same day as California and seven other states) could give him a big lift.

We’ll have to see if the flirtation of ObamaWorld with Beto O’Rourke waxes or wanes. But if it continues, you could definitely imagine early canvassers for the fluent Spanish-speaking Beto holding signs with United Farm Workers slogan adopted by Obama ’08: Si Se Puede!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am

I'm torn.

On the one hand, I'd prefer to have a woman head the ticket - it's way past time. On the other, I've been really impressed with what I've seen from Beto so far. I mean, not into fanboy territory or anything, but at a level beyond where am with any of the other current leading contenders.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:01 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am
I'm torn.

On the one hand, I'd prefer to have a woman head the ticket - it's way past time. On the other, I've been really impressed with what I've seen from Beto so far. I mean, not into fanboy territory or anything, but at a level beyond where am with any of the other current leading contenders.
When Obama first ran, I voted for HRC in the primary because I wanted a woman to run, and I was like, Barack who? I thought she had a better chance at going the distance (I’ve seldom been happier to be wrong about something).

I’d still like to see a woman head the ticket, but I wouldn’t be heartbroken if Beto (or Joe Biden) tops the list.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:01 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am
I'm torn.

When Obama first ran, I voted for HRC in the primary because I wanted a woman to run, and I was like, Barack who? I thought she had a better chance at going the distance (I’ve seldom been happier to be wrong about something).

I’d still like to see a woman head the ticket, but I wouldn’t be heartbroken if Beto (or Joe Biden) tops the list.
Same here. It's high time we elect a woman as POTUS. I was never happier than the day I walked in the voting booth and voted for HRC. Beto or Joe Biden would be fine with me as well, each of them would make a fine President and I believe they both would carry on the fine example that Obama set. I'm not crazy about Gillibrand at all, but I like Kamala Harris a great deal.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Foggy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am
I want a woman to head the ticket.
Uh oh. :shock:

Did you see how much trouble I had for saying I wanted someone under 70 years old?

You in a heap of trouble, girlfriend!
That's what I WANT. I would be satisfied with any WINNING ticket. :-D

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:44 pm

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1077 ... 20352.html

Jonathan Allen
@jonallendc
21 hours ago, 13 tweets, 2 min read Read on Twitter
If you look at the 167 votes where O'Rourke went against the majority of Democrats, here's what you'll find 1/x
There are a relative handful of votes where he voted against what anyone would describe as the progressive position on fossil fuels, taxes, trade and other issues. He was seldom alone, but sometimes in a small minority of Democrats 2/x
There are 28/167 votes that are so procedural/dilatory/nonbinding they have names like motion to approve the journal, motion to adjourn, order the call of the House, order the previous question and instruct conferees. That's more than 15%. Looks like he doesn't like BS votes. 3/x
There are votes in favor of the space program and disaster aid -- priorities for his state -- that went against the ideology of the majority of his party. 4/x
There are also votes to continue government funding and allow the military to sponsor motor sports and wrestling events 5/x
There are also a number of votes on which he bucked the majority of Democrats because he was voting with the left -- for example, against re-authorizing intelligence agencies and extending the re-designation period for HUBZones. 6/x
If you go through the list, you'll find instances of him voting with people named Pelosi, DeLauro, Conyers, Lee, Ellison, Doggett or Velazquez against the majority of the Democratic Party. 7/x
Does that mean he's "progressive?" or "progressive enough?" Surely not for me to decide. Certainly, each vote will get its vet. But it's fascinating that the first shots of the invisible 2020 Democratic primary are Bernie backers targeting O'Rourke. 8/x
A fair reading of the votes is that he isn't always aligned with the most progressive set in the Democratic Caucus but that he usually is -- and that he doesn't like dilatory votes. 9/x
A fair reading of the politics is that Sanders backers are worried about his pull with progressives and millennials -- and that is framed by portraying O'Rourke as a tool of the old Democratic establishment. 10/x
This fight is just starting, and it will be interesting to watch. It's easy to dismiss reporting on it as "horserace" journalism, but the way the candidates, their campaigns and their supporters engage in politics is a big part of how campaigns are won and lost. 11/x
Stay tuned. 12/12
One add: Some votes simply aren't strictly ideological. O'Rourke voted to allow one-year permits for the limited killing of unendangered sea lions on the Columbia River to protect certain fish. Most Dems were against. Jayapal, Wilson, Huffman & Beyer were among CPCers with him.

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:05 pm

I've been watching the emerging attacks on O'Rourke. More about it here:

Inside Bernie-world's war on Beto O'Rourke
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna951016
The main line of attack against O'Rourke is that he isn't progressive enough — that he's been too close to Republicans in Congress, too close to corporate donors and not willing enough to use his star power to help fellow Democrats — and it is being pushed almost exclusively by Sanders supporters online and in print.
:snippity:
It started with David Sirota, a liberal activist and journalist who worked for Sanders many years ago. In a long tweetstorm, Sirota noted that O'Rourke had received more donations from the oil and gas industry than any candidate in the 2018 cycle other than Cruz.
* tweet snipped *
The missing context: O'Rourke didn't take money from corporate political action committees, and the donations attributed to the oil and gas business include both a handful from executives and many others from lower-level employees of his home state's flagship industry. Altogether, they still account for a little more than half of one percent of all of the money he raised for the election.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 am

Post and Courier
Top SC Democratic operative joins group trying to 'Draft Beto' for president

WASHINGTON — One of South Carolina's top Democratic consultants is taking on a new role as a state director for a group that is looking to build momentum for a potential Beto O'Rourke presidential campaign.

Tyler Jones, who helped Charleston Democrat Joe Cunningham pull off his upset victory in South Carolina's 1st Congressional District last year, told The Post and Courier that he views the former Texas congressman as the strongest Democratic contender to take on President Donald Trump in 2020.

"Beto has all the qualities of a candidate who can rewrite the map and win in places that we haven't won in decades," Jones said. "I just think he's our generation's Bobby Kennedy... There aren't many potential candidates that can inspire voters of all ages and races and ideologies, but Beto is certainly on the top of that list."

"He represents that new generation of leadership that I think the country is so desperate for and that people like me are looking for," Jones said. "I think if he runs, he's our next president."

Jones runs a political communications and advocacy firm in Charleston called Speak Strategic, which he said would now be throwing its full weight behind the Draft Beto effort.

In addition to previously leading the S.C. House Democratic Caucus, he has worked on two presidential campaigns in South Carolina before. He served as state director for former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley in 2016 and as a Lowcountry field director for former U.S. Sen. John Edwards in 2008.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:59 am

Politico: O'Rourke hits El Paso streets to rebut Trump's immigration address

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Grace Panetta

@grace_panetta
4h4 hours ago
More
Happening now on @BetoORourke’s Insta story: “I’m here at the dentist, and we’re going to continue our series about people who live along the border. My dental hygenist, Diana, is going to tell us about growing up in El Paso.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Texas Tribune
Oprah to interview Beto O'Rourke in New York in February

Oprah Winfrey is set to sit down with Beto O'Rourke on Feb. 5 as part of a series of conversations she's holding in Times Square in New York City.

Oprah Winfrey plans to interview Beto O'Rourke next month in New York City, an event sure to ratchet up national attention surrounding the former Democratic congressman from El Paso and potential 2020 presidential candidate.

Oprah is set to sit down with O'Rourke on Feb. 5 in Times Square as part of a series of conversations with people who have shaken up entertainment, politics and culture. The series, titled "Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations from Times Square," will air on the media mogul's TV channel, the Oprah Winfrey Network, and later on a podcast.

O'Rourke is being urged to run for president after his closer-than-expected loss last year to U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz. The Oprah interview is O'Rourke first public appearance that has been announced since he left Congress earlier this month.

Oprah herself has also been at the center of 2020 speculation, though she has said she is not interested.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm

BuzzFeed News
Beto O’Rourke Changed His Message To Win Voters Of Color In Texas. The Result Could Swing The Presidential Race.

Bobbi Clavon confronted Beto O’Rourke at a town hall in DeSoto, Texas, in March of 2018. O’Rourke had been running for Senate for almost a year, crisscrossing the state and drawing huge crowds of energized supporters, but Clavon saw a stark problem: O’Rourke wasn’t doing enough to speak to black voters. Without them, he had no chance of beating Sen. Ted Cruz.

“You cannot just whitewash everything,” she told him, her voice rising with passion as she spoke of a young black man who had been assaulted by a police officer in Fort Worth. “You have got to be at the forefront of this, because black people, right now, we need a reason to come out and vote. You have got to address these issues head-on.”

Clavon wasn’t alone. O’Rourke heard the same message a month earlier from a group of black and Latino leaders in Dallas. They were frustrated with a campaign, they said, that didn’t include their communities. O’Rourke had traveled all over rural and suburban Texas, but he hadn’t been to mostly-black South Dallas in many months. In border towns across the state with big Latino populations, his events were still mostly white.

The Rev. Michael Waters, of Joy Tabernacle AME Church, “pushed hard against” O’Rourke’s campaign in that meeting, he said. “I didn’t think they’d put enough effort into connecting with the black community.”

Something unexpected happened after those confrontations, Clavon and Waters say: O’Rourke listened. And then, they said, he worked to fix it.

If O’Rourke does run for president in 2020, urged on by millions of people who were swept up in his 2018 Senate bid, the turnaround he tried to engineer with voters of color in Texas offers a blueprint for his candidacy.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:45 am

Politico: Just What Does Beto Believe?

The former Texas congressman seems unwilling to place himself on his party’s conventional political spectrum.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:29 am

WaPo
Beto O’Rourke’s campaign comes to life in a darkened theater, for better and worse

AUSTIN — As soon as the lights fell for the Saturday premiere of the HBO documentary “Running with Beto,” former congressman Beto O’Rourke sneaked into the darkened movie theater with his wife and daughter.

The crowd spotted him and cheered. A photographer followed O’Rourke to his seat, the camera flash lighting the potential presidential candidate’s face. A woman in the third row whispered: “He’s like a movie star.”

In less than a year, O’Rourke has been transformed from a relatively unknown congressman from El Paso, running a long-shot campaign in Texas against Republican Sen. Ted Cruz, to a political celebrity who is regularly mobbed by adoring fans and urged by strangers to run for president — something that those close to him say he plans to do.

But celebrity exacts a cost, one that the documentary showed was borne by O’Rourke’s three young children. For 90 minutes on Saturday, O’Rourke was reminded in intimate detail just how difficult his last campaign was — and how grueling an even higher profile race may be — for his children.

O’Rourke gave the documentary crew full access to his family and several campaign staffers for more than a year, allowing them to gather 700 hours of footage. O’Rourke said he trusted the filmmakers to be respectful of his family and that the team was “genuinely interested in telling our story, we could feel that.”

The result was a glimpse at a wrenching reality rarely seen in the sanitized, smiling images usually put forth by candidates.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am

Politico
O'Rourke ramps up in Iowa

The Texan is reviewing resumes of potential staffers and set to campaign for a Democratic statehouse candidate.

Beto O’Rourke is beginning to staff up in Iowa and has been in talks about visiting the first-in-the-nation caucus state as early as this week.

Democrats organizing a rally for Eric Giddens, a Democratic state Senate candidate, in Iowa on Saturday have told prospective attendees that they expect O’Rourke to appear at the event, a source familiar with the plans told POLITICO.

Norm Sterzenbach, a former executive director of the Iowa Democratic Party, is assisting O’Rourke in the state and was reviewing resumes from potential staffers as recently as last week, according to two sources familiar with O’Rourke’s Iowa operation. Paul Tewes, who ran Obama’s 2008 operation in the state, is also helping O’Rourke. So is Margaret Jarosz, who was working for Sen. Sherrod Brown in Iowa before he elected not to run for president, the sources said.

David Plouffe, Obama’s 2008 campaign manager, has also made calls on O’Rourke’s behalf, according to three Democrats. But Plouffe has also spoken with other 2020 contenders or their campaigns, the sources said.

O’Rourke, like several Democrats who already have announced their presidential campaigns, has been in discussions about assisting Giddens in his March 19 special election, potentially with a door-knocking effort, according to three Iowa Democrats.
Adding:
Reuters: Beto O'Rourke heading to Iowa, fueling speculation about White House bid

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:07 pm

From the NY Mag article:
Former Obama adviser Dan Pfeiffer made a more practical pitch for Beto:

Our nominee needs to be able to excite first-time and periodic voters to turn out AND win over independent voters, particularly in the exurban and rural counties that turned Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania from Obama blue to Trump red. This was the formula Beto used to do better than any Democrat has done in Texas in decades. According to exit polls, first time voters made up one-fifth of the electorate and went for Beto by 14 points. Beto’s successful progressive appeal to the base didn’t turn off the middle — he did 12 points better with independents than Hillary Clinton did in 2016.
I agree with Dan. I don't think it's about gender or race, it's about ideas that excite voters and make them feel like something bigger than just the candidate. Obama did that and Donald has drilled it in to his voters. If it's Beto and Stacey Abrams, or Biden and Gillum, or whatever... it's about ideas and winning to help people being terribly hurt by the GOP.

Photo: Merry Christmas from the titular Mama June. Santa (aka Sugar Bear) and her lovely family!
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:10 pm

April cover:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Reuters
Beto O'Rourke to seek Democratic U.S. presidential nomination: TV station

(Reuters) - Beto O’Rourke, the youthful Texan who gained a national following with his long-shot election battle against U.S. Senator Ted Cruz last year, told a Texas TV station on Wednesday he would seek the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination.

“I’m really proud of what El Paso did and what El Paso represents,” O’Rourke said in a text to TV station KTSM. “It’s a big part of why I’m running. This city is the best example of this country at its best.”

A formal announcement will be made on Thursday morning by O’Rourke, a 46-year-old former three-term U.S. congressman from West Texas, the television station said.

With his presidential effort, O’Rourke is hoping to leverage the fame he gained with his Senate race. He was a heavy underdog when he challenged Cruz, a Republican, in mostly conservative Texas, but he quickly demonstrated an ability to draw capacity crowds and raise money from voters nationwide.

Beto For America

Act/Blue Donate

Adding:

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:58 am

IMG_20190314_105421.jpg
:roll: :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 am

Sez Donald Drumpf's spokesperson.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 pm

The Hill
CBS's Gayle King lands first interview with Beto O'Rourke after 2020 announcement

CBS's Gayle King has landed the first nationally televised interview with former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas), who on Thursday announced his 2020 presidential campaign.

According to a network announcement, the sit-down interview will take place in Burlington, Iowa and will be aired Friday on "CBS This Morning," on which King serves as a co-host.

A preview of the O'Rourke interview will also be shown on the "CBS Evening News with Jeff Glor" on Thursday evening, as well as on CBS News Radio and CBSN, the network's streaming service. ...

O'Rourke becomes the 14th person to officially declare their candidacy for the Democratic nomination.
Adding:
WaPo: Beto O’Rourke’s political career drew on donations from the pro-Republican business establishment

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Well, well, well, this brings back memories...

Beto O'Rourke was a teenage member of early hacktivist group The Cult of the Dead Cow.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... o-orourke/

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 pm

mmmirele wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Beto O'Rourke was a teenage member of early hacktivist group The Cult of the Dead Cow.

Joseph Menn hawking his book.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:22 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 pm
mmmirele wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Joseph Menn hawking his book.
Yeah, but Beto looks better in my eyes as a result.

Return to “Presidential Election”