Beto O'Rourke 2020

Addie

Beto O'Rourke 2020

Post by Addie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Newsweek
Beto 2020? O'Rourke Invited to Iowa, Called Most 'Authentic' Democrat Since Obama as Presidential Speculation Mounts

Speculation that Beto O’Rourke may make a presidential bid in 2020 despite losing his Senate race to Republican incumbent Ted Cruz last week has swirled after he received an invitation to visit the Polk County Democratic Party in Des Moines, Iowa, the state whose caucuses are considered the first presidential votes.

The Democratic Party in Des Moines, where one-third of Iowa’s Democratic voters reside, sent O’Rourke the invitation on Monday, according to The Dallas Morning News.

“We would love to host him,” Polk County Democratic Chairman Sean Bagniewski told the newspaper in a report published Tuesday.

“It’s real. In Iowa, everybody knows the next person that they want to meet, and by far he is the No. 1 person that’s being requested right now—volunteers, elected officials, our membership base,” Bagniewski said. “Everybody right now is asking for Beto.” ...

O’Rourke reportedly has not yet responded to the invitation. He was rumored to have been in Des Moines, Iowa City or another part of the state over the weekend. Iowa caucuses are important because they are the first indicator of how much support a presidential candidate has.

Mikedunford

Re: Beto O'Rourke 2020

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 pm

I don't know how many counties there are in Iowa. But I bet Beto does.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

CJ Roberts

Post by CJ Roberts » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 pm
My favorite way to troll Cruz supporters was that Beto had been to every county in Texas while Cruz had been to every county in Iowa.
You're the kind of lawyer guilty people hire.

jmj

Post by jmj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
99! (I grew up there, and it's an easy number to remember ;) )

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Having lived there from ages 13 - 22 I can answer without even looking it up: 99.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:32 am

Politico
‘He’s Barack Obama, but white’: Beto O’Rourke blows up the 2020 Democratic primary ...

Abraham Lincoln ran for president — and won — after two losing campaigns for Senate. But the last person to go from the House to the presidency was James Garfield in 1880.

"One thing that [O’Rourke] is going to have to overcome is that he did lose to Ted Cruz," said Cappy McGarr, a Dallas-based investor and Democratic fundraiser. “He is the real deal, though. He’s charismatic, he’s thoughtful, he’s able — he is one of the most exciting politicians I’ve seen since Barack Obama ran for president.”

Like many donors, however, McGarr holds a favorable view of several potential contenders, including Biden, former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), and Julián Castro, the former San Antonio mayor and Obama Cabinet secretary.

“I have a lot of friends who might be running for president, and I think the more the merrier,” McGarr said. “And I certainly wouldn’t preclude giving and raising monies for more than one candidate.”

Steve Westly, a former California state controller and major bundler of campaign contributions for Obama, said O’Rourke “has a lot of the wow factor now, and one could easily say, ‘He didn’t win.’ But to get [close] in Texas, that suggests to me that if he were the national nominee running against a non-Texan, he might well pull that state … and he is charismatic as heck.” ...

“I don’t’ believe that 50-year-old guys like me and 60-year-old guys in Washington who are in an hourly form of political warfare understand how disillusioned that warfare has made the younger people of this country,” he said. “From that perspective, Beto’s unvarnished approach was both refreshing to me, but intoxicating to the younger generation.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 am

WaPo
Beto O’Rourke, who’s pondering a 2020 presidential bid, met with Barack Obama

Beto O’Rourke, weighing whether to mount a 2020 presidential bid, met recently with ­Barack Obama at his post-
presidency offices in Washington.

The meeting, which was held Nov. 16 at the former president’s offices in Foggy Bottom, came as former Obama aides have encouraged the Democratic House member to run, seeing him as capable of the same kind of inspirational campaign that caught fire in the 2008 presidential election.

The meeting was the first sign of Obama getting personally involved in conversations with O’Rourke, who, despite his November loss in a U.S. Senate race in Texas, has triggered more recent discussion and speculation than any other candidate in the burgeoning 2020 field.

TMZ, the Hollywood-based entertainment website, is now trailing O’Rourke; he is being swamped by calls from Democratic operatives eager to work for him, and other campaigns-in-the-making are eyeing his moves closely for any signs of his intentions. O’Rourke said at an El Paso town hall last week that he was considering a run, pending discussions with his family.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:54 pm

Hey, I'm up for seeing where it leads.

I think Beto could be a good candidate and a good president.. he's smart, and I think his heart is in the right place.

So we'll see I guess..
There's no way back
from there to here

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 pm

I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. But the House to the White House is a big jump.
Edit: ETA: I think he'd be a great candidate. I don't know if he'd be a great President.
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm

On the other hand, we badly need a candidate with no mud on his/her shoes.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:01 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 pm
I don't think we've got a lot of those. Beto's got the past DUI incident. I think he's handled it extremely well, making no excuses and describing his conduct as unacceptable, but it's still there and will still be a major feature in attack ads. Not sure any of the others are totally in the clear either.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 pm

Garfield is the only one to jump from US Representative to US President in our history.

Lincoln was a US Representative then out of office when he ran.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Beto's got the past DUI incident.
So did W. And I'm not worried about that so much, after all the excuses the GOP made for Kavanaugh... not to mention the moral midget in the White House.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:08 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 pm
So did W. And I'm not worried about that so much, after all the excuses the GOP made for Kavanaugh... not to mention the moral midget in the White House.
I'm not tremendously worried either - like I said, I think he's handled it exceptionally well - but I thought it was at least worth mentioning. It might not be thick and goopy mud, but the shoes aren't completely polished either.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:15 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 pm
:yeah: They have absolutely no credibility to ever say anything about any Democratic candidate for the rest of time. I will laugh in anyone's face if they even bring it up. And I really do hope everyone else does the same. Show them exactly how seriously we take them after all the excuses for, and voting for Trump.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm

I’d vote for Beto. We may be related way, way back. My maiden name is O’Rourke.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm
Did you have any relatives in F Troop?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:38 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm
Did you have any relatives in F Troop?
I think so. Family legend has it that there was a Sergeant in some cavalry unit during the civil war. Out west somewhere.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:03 am

RoadScholar wrote:
That was Obama. They made Mud up.

For the thousandth time, there is zero and no candidates that wont get covered in mud. I know you are differing from trauma about the amount of shit that was Thrown at Clinton, but the fact is she is about as clean a candidate as you are going to get. You better drop this fantasy of a clean candidate or you will be stuck playing defense again. shocked at the revelations and shit that will be coming out. You need to start accepting that there will be mud, and you need to be prepared go on the offense.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 am

Suranis wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:03 am
RoadScholar wrote:
That was Obama. They made Mud up.

For the thousandth time, there is zero and no candidates that wont get covered in mud. I know you are differing from trauma about the amount of shit that was Thrown at Clinton, but the fact is she is about as clean a candidate as you are going to get. You better drop this fantasy of a clean candidate or you will be stuck playing defense again. shocked at the revelations and shit that will be coming out. You need to start accepting that there will be mud, and you need to be prepared go on the offense.
No, Suranis, she wasn't. Obama was, as you pointed out. And as you correctly pointed out, there is no candidate who won't get splattered along the way, if only because mud is getting made up. But Clinton was not the cleanest candidate out there, or even the cleanest running in 2016 (that title probably goes to Martin "He's Never Heard of You Either" O'Malley).

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:59 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 am
No, Suranis, she wasn't. Obama was, as you pointed out. And as you correctly pointed out, there is no candidate who won't get splattered along the way, if only because mud is getting made up. But Clinton was not the cleanest candidate out there, or even the cleanest running in 2016 (that title probably goes to Martin "He's Never Heard of You Either" O'Malley).
Without rehashing Clinton AGAIN, I think we can agree that the experiences of Obama and Clinton show it makes fuck all difference whether they are clean or not, because "Jeremiah Wright" and "Hezza Muslim" were 2008's "Butter Emails." So demanding a 100% clean candidate is a fantasy and useless.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:49 am

Suranis wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:59 am
Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 am
Without rehashing Clinton AGAIN, I think we can agree that the experiences of Obama and Clinton show it makes fuck all difference whether they are clean or not, because "Jeremiah Wright" and "Hezza Muslim" were 2008's "Butter Emails." So demanding a 100% clean candidate is a fantasy and useless.
You're the one who brought Clinton up in the Beto thread, so you're not really in a good position to be getting irritated at people if the discussion you started continues either with or without your participation.

And, no, I don't think the experiences of Obama and Clinton show that it makes fuck all difference. Obama got elected. The smears might have helped keep those who were against him stirred up, but - in large part because they were bullshit, and bullshit to an extent that lacked any kernel of fact at all, didn't diminish the enthusiasm of his supporters. With Clinton, I think a lot of the stuff ate into the enthusiasm. And the whole fucking election turned - basically - on the level of enthusiasm in three states.

You want to talk about how things shouldn't be that way, and how that stuff shouldn't matter, I'm right there with you. But some of the same stuff I've been saying over in the Endless Birther Mutual Hate Litigation Thread applies here. The world doesn't always work in ways that are fair, but it's still the world we've got to live in. And in the world we've got to live in, I'm pretty sure how people perceive a candidate's character, including morals and ethics, matters. If only to Democrats.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:35 am

I also brought up Obama. And someone else brought up the impossibility of not having a candidate with mud on their shoes, which was an oblique reference to Clinton

And Clinton, you know, won. As did Al Gore, for the record.

I think we can all agree that there will not be a candidate with 30 years of lies and smears having been thrown at them this time around. Unless its Joe Biden...

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am

Suranis wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:35 am
I also brought up Obama. And someone else brought up the impossibility of not having a candidate with mud on their shoes, which was an oblique reference to Clinton

And Clinton, you know, won. As did Al Gore, for the record.

I think we can all agree that there will not be a candidate with 30 years of lies and smears having been thrown at them this time around. Unless its Joe Biden...
Plagiarizing Joe Biden. I want a woman to head the ticket.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am
I want a woman to head the ticket.
Uh oh. :shock:

Did you see how much trouble I had for saying I wanted someone under 70 years old?

You in a heap of trouble, girlfriend!
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Return to “Presidential Election”