Republican National Convention 2020 Charlotte NC; DC@White House

Addie

Re: Republican National Convention 2020 Charlotte NC

Post by Addie »

NBC News: Republicans look at multi-city convention for Trump's renomination

A rolling convention could allow the president to say he held the highest-attended event ever for a nominee.

WASHINGTON — As Republicans scramble to reboot the GOP convention, one option gaining traction is a multistate affair with major speeches and rallies in a variety of cities, according to three people familiar with the discussions.

Part of the appeal of the roadshow approach is that it could allow President Donald Trump to claim having commanded the highest-attended convention audience in history, they said, and to accept his renomination with all the fanfare he envisioned.

"I think it's going to be a glorified rally," a person familiar with the conversations said of the president's keynote address.

After canceling plans this week to hold the GOP convention in Charlotte, North Carolina — plans years in the making — Trump and the Republican National Committee are surveying at least seven states and nine cities as possible alternatives.

GOP officials are already on the ground in places like Orlando and Jacksonville, Florida; Nashville, Tennessee; Dallas; Phoenix; and New Orleans. They may also schedule scouting visits to Atlanta; Savannah, Georgia; and Las Vegas in the weeks to come.

They said no final decisions have been made on a location — or locations.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 am Did I see Phoenix upthread? Isn't August monsoon season?

That said, I wouldn't mind a good thunder and lightening storm to clear out a few Republicans :twisted:
I think it gets 100 in the shade in Phoenix in August.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:49 pm
I think it gets 100 in the shade in Phoenix in August.
Yeah, but it's a dry heat ;)
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Phoenix and a candidate puffing hot air over all of them :twisted: :lol:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall:
Trump said ‘we can’t do social distancing’ at convention as he made personal appeal to North Carolina governor

Annie Linskey and Josh Dawsey
June 5, 2020 at 2:01 a.m. GMT+2

President Trump made his demands for the planned Republican National Convention in Charlotte quite clear to North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, who had balked at agreeing to a mass gathering of tens of thousands of delegates, allies and media.

In a Friday phone call, Trump told the Democratic governor he would accept his party’s nomination in an arena filled with cheering supporters, coronavirus pandemic or not.

He pulled from his own history, citing the June 2015 event at which he announced his candidacy for president after gliding into the lobby of Trump Tower in New York.

“Since the day I came down the escalator, I’ve never had an empty seat and I find the biggest stadiums,” he told Cooper on Friday, according to two people familiar with the call who requested anonymity to share its contents. “I don’t want to be sitting in a place that’s 50 percent empty,” Trump said.

Trump’s obsession with crowd size and the spectacle he insisted should greet his renomination came on a day during which extraordinary pressure was building on other fronts, as protesters against police violence began to mass near the White House and in cities and towns across America.

Trump, in the roughly 15-minute conversation, casually dismissed any health concerns that might arise from squeezing thousands of supporters — wearing masks only if they choose to — inside an arena to hear his acceptance speech. The full details of the call have not previously been reported. The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The president’s call to Cooper — who unsuccessfully pleaded, by praising Trump, that the president abide by restrictions set by health officials — came on the same day Trump called Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, to see whether he might host the convention on Trump’s terms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Atticus Finch wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:38 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:59 am
Addie wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:03 pm
No! No! Not my beloved Savannah! Run, Forest, Run!!!
Speaking of Savannah, the Republican convention will make Sherman's March to the Sea an afternoon stroll in the park.
Sherman didn't so much as tip a teacup in Savannah. The City surrendered and the Army very peacefully settled in for a much earned rest and to prepare for invading South Carolina, which was hit much worse than Georgia in the end. Sherman had connections to people in Savannah, and he had proved what he set out to in Georgia.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

President Trump's threat to move this year's Republican National Convention out of Charlotte in the midst of a global pandemic has those who organized previous conventions scratching their heads over just how the GOP would overcome the almost insurmountable logistical hurdles of throwing together one of the biggest events on the quadrennial calendar in just two months

:snippity:

But veterans of conventions past say it is almost certain that Republicans will have to keep the bulk of their convention activities in the Queen City. Even before the logistical nightmare that would be setting up an entirely new convention in just two months, the party has already sunk millions of dollars into building the infrastructure necessary to run a modern convention, and committed to spending millions more through contracts that cannot be broken.

"Let’s be clear: it is simply not feasible to replicate the efforts needed, in a new city, and in just two months’ time, to put on a Convention that would look or feel in any way similar to today’s modern nominating meetings," said Clark Jennings, who directed operations at the 2012 Democratic convention.

"Producing these complex events requires an enormous scale of sophisticated planning and intergovernmental coordination, the buildout of niche infrastructure within the convention hall and across the host city, and the negotiation of hundreds, if not thousands, of contracts to provide housing and transportation, alone, for the tens of thousands of delegates, elected officials, media, supporting staff, and volunteers that descend on a convention city."
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... -charlotte#
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Returning to Charlotte? I would have a good laugh if many of their contracted parties were now to say: Sorry! you moved and we have now planned otherwise with your requested resources. :lol:
Addie

Post by Addie »

Dallas Morning News: Dallas County judge rules out Republican convention, citing COVID-19 risk of mass event Trump demands

Judge Clay Jenkins notes code ‘red’ danger, urges GOP officials to consult the county’s public health guidelines before getting their hopes up for coming to the area.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
tek

Post by tek »

Addie wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:49 pm
Dallas Morning News: Dallas County judge rules out Republican convention, citing COVID-19 risk of mass event Trump demands

Judge Clay Jenkins notes code ‘red’ danger, urges GOP officials to consult the county’s public health guidelines before getting their hopes up for coming to the area.
The king is not gonna be happy about that. "Off with his head!"
There's no way back
from there to here
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

tek wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 pm

Doesn't Judge Jenkins know that the king wants visuals that show there is no problem with COVID-19?
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

States are having problems getting delegates - most are high risk.
Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Dear Leader isn’t going to have his triumphal convention and likely few rallies. He will lose his mind.

TREASON!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

tek wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:21 pm

Is the Judge a Minority? Can he get tragically killed in a traffic stop or allegedly stealing a Snickers Bar?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Grumpy Old Guy wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:49 pm Dear Leader isn’t going to have his triumphal convention and likely few rallies. He will lose his mind.

TREASON!
It's all Obamas fault :!:

And he continues to manipulate the Deep State :!:

And Soros of course has all the funds required, all that the Trumps have to borrow :twisted:
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Judge Clay Jenkins is white, a member of the Democratic Party.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

Was about to post this in the "Coronavirus: Public Opinion" thread, but decided to put it here instead, as it suggests that no matter where the Republicans manage to hold their convention, it is doomed to rather low attendance.

A majority of voters are uncomfortable attending large gatherings, dining out
Two-thirds of American voters say they would not feel comfortable flying on a plane or attending a large gathering due to continued worry about the spread of the coronavirus, a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds. Half of all voters are also uneasy about dining at restaurants...
The survey, which was conducted as many states eased some restrictions on businesses designed to blunt the virus's spread, found that 66 percent of Americans say they are uncomfortable attending a public gathering or an event with a large group, with 43 percent saying they are “very” uncomfortable. Just 17 percent say they would be “very comfortable” at a large event.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-t ... t-n1226071
Am I being detained?
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

NotaPerson wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:31 pm Was about to post this in the "Coronavirus: Public Opinion" thread, but decided to put it here instead, as it suggests that no matter where the Republicans manage to hold their convention, it is doomed to rather low attendance.

A majority of voters are uncomfortable attending large gatherings, dining out
Two-thirds of American voters say they would not feel comfortable flying on a plane or attending a large gathering due to continued worry about the spread of the coronavirus, a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds. Half of all voters are also uneasy about dining at restaurants...
The survey, which was conducted as many states eased some restrictions on businesses designed to blunt the virus's spread, found that 66 percent of Americans say they are uncomfortable attending a public gathering or an event with a large group, with 43 percent saying they are “very” uncomfortable. Just 17 percent say they would be “very comfortable” at a large event.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-t ... t-n1226071
I was rather uncomfortable with large gatherings before COVID.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.chron.com/news/article/GOP- ... 324852.php
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Republican lawmakers in North Carolina are planning to vote this week on a measure that would allow President Donald Trump to speak in front of a packed Republican National Convention without some of the restrictions officials have required elsewhere to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Tuesday's vote will largely be a symbolic one, given the measure will almost assuredly be rejected by Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper and Republicans will be unlikely to have the votes to override his veto.

A draft of the bill, authored by Republican State Rep. John Torbett of Gaston and circulated last week by North Carolina Republican Party chairman Michael Whatley, calls for convention events in Charlotte to be held at full capacity, just as Trump had demanded from Cooper.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

These assholes should go work in an ICU of COVID patients with no PPE, mopping floors and delivering meals and then let them vote.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

If they all stay in the building, including sleeping and eating, and serve themselves, including maintenance and housekeeping, for the duration and a post-event quarantine, that works. Lock them in. Let ‘em out after a few weeks.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Some of them would probably have to come out feet first.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:02 am Judge Clay Jenkins is white, a member of the Democratic Party.
Well then, we'll have to find a Black Panther guy to frame for his accident.
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 pm :brickwallsmall:
Trump said ‘we can’t do social distancing’ at convention as he made personal appeal to North Carolina governor

“Since the day I came down the escalator, I’ve never had an empty seat and I find the biggest stadiums,” he told Cooper on Friday, according to two people familiar with the call who requested anonymity to share its contents. “I don’t want to be sitting in a place that’s 50 percent empty,” Trump said.
You know, since shortly after his winning the election, the most remarkable thing I've found about his tenure is the total reluctance of the GOP to curb this moron in any way, shape or form. I mean, I can understand them letting him do the damage to our government and country they've always planned and dreamed about accomplishing. But with regards to unnecessary shit like this, stuff that only serves to gratify his massive ego, you'd think the Republican leadership would be having regular closed-door meetings where they tell him bluntly, We made you, and if necessary, we can break you, so follow our lead.

To me, that's the biggest indicator that all of them must be compromised/controlled by another power. That they can't curb him on anything because they're all under someone's else's orders.
I've heard this bull before.

Return to “Presidential Election”