Pete Buttigieg 2020

Addie

Re: Pete Buttigieg 2020

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 am

CNBC
Pete Buttigieg raises $24.8 million in the second quarter as his White House bid gains momentum

Democratic rising star and 2020 presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg announced his fundraising total for the second quarter of his 2020 run for president early Monday morning.

The $24.8 million haul represents a massive total following his surge in the polls and a strong performance at the first Democratic debate in Miami last week. A poll conducted by Morning Consult after the debate showed Buttigieg with a 10 point increase in favorability.

Buttigieg is going into the third quarter with $22.6 million on hand.

Since he officially commenced his underdog campaign for president in April, the South Bend, Indiana, mayor has made inroads with big money donors. He’s among three 2020 contenders, including former Vice President Joe Biden and California Sen. Kamala Harris, who have received the support of top financiers across the country, as CNBC reported in June.

Buttigieg has enlisted the help of at least two dozen Democratic bundlers that had strong allegiances to former President Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton during her White House run. One of those fundraisers is Hollywood producer Nicole Avant, who decided to go all in and help Buttigieg raise campaign cash, his spokesman recently told CNBC. He finished the first quarter bringing in $7 million.
Adding:

The Guardian: Buttigieg raises $24.8m, eclipsing Sanders as candidate cull looms

South Bend mayor receives contributions from more than 400,000, securing his spot on stage as outsider campaigns worry

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:31 am

Dallas Voice: Victory Fund endorses Buttigieg

In an email sent on the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, the LGBT Victory Fund announced it is endorsing Pete Buttigieg for president of the United States. ...

The Victory Fund only supports LGBT candidates, and its endorsement was not meant to be divisive for those who are in the LGBT community but supporting other candidates.

“No matter which presidential candidate you support, this is an enormous moment for our community,” Meloy’s email explained. “We finally have a viable, openly LGBTQ candidate running in a major political party.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:44 am

HuffPo
Pete Buttigieg Asks Department Of Justice For Help In Addressing South Bend Shooting

He made the announcement Monday, two weeks after South Bend Police Sgt. Ryan O’Neill shot and killed Eric J. Logan.

South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg sent a letter to the Department of Justice asking them for help in responding to a local case in which a police sergeant shot and killed a black man.

The letter, obtained by HuffPost, was announced at a press conference on Monday, two weeks after South Bend Police Sgt. Ryan O’Neill shot and killed Eric J. Logan. The incident garnered national attention after it prompted Buttigieg to cancel several presidential campaign events and return home.

“Many South Bend residents, concerned about racial issues and their impact on our department, believe that the Department of Justice could be of assistance,” Buttigieg wrote. “As Mayor of South Bend, I consider it imperative that there be absolutely no racism in our city’s Police Department, and I welcome support in ensuring that no appearance or reality of racial bias impact our City’s law enforcement.”

In the days since the shooting, Buttigieg has faced calls from activists to involve the Department of Justice and to bring in an outside investigator, as some voiced concerns that an internal investigation alone would not be sufficient. Court documents obtained by HuffPost showed that a fellow officer had filed a report against O’Neill for making racist and derogatory remarks in the past, but an internal investigation had found the assertions “not sustained.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:23 pm

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
Trump glorifies himself. Buttigieg glorifies public service. ...

His website explains that the first step in his plan would be “to increase service opportunities from 75,000 to 250,000 in the existing federal and AmeriCorps grantee organizations and through new Service Year Fellowships, targeting high school, community college, vocational, HBCUs and MSI students, and opportunity youth (out of school and work). Emphasis is placed on high-quality service positions, on-the-job training, leadership development, and mentor-mentee sponsoring.” Second, local and state governments can be enlisted to develop “competitive grant funding for cities, counties, and communities to create ecosystems of service around regional issues. These grants would be built on the Cities of Service model.” And, finally, aim to scale the program up. (“Quadruple service opportunities to 1 million high school graduates (by 2026 — the 250th anniversary of America’s Independence”). ...

There is a lot to like in this.

For one thing, Buttigieg’s plan loosens’ Democrats obsession with free college, and instead provides a post-high-school project whereby young people could earn something. Only about 30 percent of Americans go to college, a number out of whack with the time spent trying to give tuition away to generally wealthier students. In the debates Buttigieg pointed out that we should also look out for ways to make not going to college affordable. This program might lead to college, but it might also lead to non-college accreditation and meaningful work that doesn’t require a college degree.

In addition, Buttigieg’s proposal is a repudiation of the Trumpian autocratic promise that “I alone can fix it,” a tagline for every tinpot dictator who insists the answers are “easy” as long as he is in power. Back on Earth One, our nagging social and economic problems are complex, longstanding and not amenable to snap solutions. A core principle of patriotism and democracy is that the citizens attend to their own well-being; they are not passive observers of the Great Leader.

Ironically, Buttigieg’s plan is the sort of thing conservatives favored before they joined a cult supporting consolidation of power in the executive branch of the federal government. It encourages activity outside the federal government, fostering local and state engagement through the kinds of civic institutions that have withered in recent years. While Trump never leaves us alone, intruding into every crevice of society (Fourth of July, even), Buttigieg reaffirms that the federal government is supposed to be limited; it is our potential that should be limitless.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am

The Hill
Buttigieg details plan targeting systemic racism

White House hopeful Pete Buttigieg on Thursday unveiled new details of a plan aimed at tackling "racist structures and systems,” promising to invest in policies to help African Americans.

Dubbed the Douglass Plan, after abolitionist Frederick Douglass, the policy would combat systemic inequalities by reforming health care, education, entrepreneurship, criminal justice and voting rights on a federal level.

Buttigieg first outlined the plan a month ago in an op-ed for the Charleston Chronicle in South Carolina.

Buttigieg's campaign on Thursday said he would increase federal resources for historically black colleges and universities and other minority institutions by $25 billion, eliminate mandatory minimum sentences and set a goal of tripling black entrepreneurs within a decade.

Other parts of the plan, like abolishing the electoral college and replacing it with a national popular vote, have already been publicized on the campaign trail.

Buttigieg's campaign has struggled to garner support with African Americans. A CNN poll released last week found the mayor polling at 0 percent with black voters nationally.
Adding:
Associated Press: AP Interview: Mayor Pete Buttigieg's straight talk on race

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:40 am

I like Pete, really I do (not just because he's gay, and knows Norwegian). (and his witty husband is pretty cool, too)

But this seems like again retail politics. It's still trying to address racism in an us v. them manner. This doesn't deal with the fundamental issue of racism. We can't change racist people's hearts by giving extra money or benefits to those who same racist people want to hate. It just creates more resentment on the part of those who choose to hate.

It seems like a losing strategy. We know what happened with affirmative action. Yes, it helped to a degree. But then it also got us kicked in the nads.
Addie wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:22 am
The Hill
Buttigieg details plan targeting systemic racism
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:17 am

I agree to a point. I think Pete was stuck with this cop shooting mess and needs to find his way out of it. Whether this is the way out, I'm not confident. However, if he didn't take on this issue, while the rest of the field does, he'd altogether be up the creek without a paddle. I hope he can at least reshape. I know he can. I hope he will. Frankly, I'm just glad the God Talk has settled down some. That's what bugged me.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:37 am

The Hill
Buttigieg: Trump census reversal a 'face-saving' recognition that 'he's been on the wrong side'

South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg on Thursday lambasted President Trump's reversal on previous plans to push for a citizenship question on the 2020 census, calling the move a "face-saving way to recognize that he's been on the wrong side."

Buttigieg, a Democratic presidential hopeful, said in an interview with CNN that Trump's decision earlier Thursday to drop his administration’s effort to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census shows that the president is "recognizing reality and backing down."

"It sounds like a face-saving way to recognize that he's been on the wrong side of the law throughout," he said. "There are any number of ways to do research on issues like immigration, but tinkering with the census was clearly racially and politically motivated."

"It's why it was held to be unlawful by the courts," Buttigieg added. "And it sounds — although he changes his mind from day to day, so you don't really know for sure but — it sounds like he was at least at last recognizing reality and backing down."

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:41 am

CityLab: Pete Buttigieg Is Ready to Talk About Racial Inequality

The candidate has struggled to attract black voters, but now he has a robust plan to signal his commitment to helping them.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:09 am

That guy Douglass, he's doing terrific work, and getting recognized more and more every day.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:14 am

Turtle wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:09 am
That guy Douglass, he's doing terrific work, and getting recognized more and more every day.
Indeed. Trump is probably a little concerned Fred might jump into the race.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

Vox: Pete Buttigieg says Americans should have the right to hide personal details from the internet

On an upcoming episode of Recode Decode, he told Kara Swisher that it’s time for a “national debate” about the so-called “right to be forgotten.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 am

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:44 am

CNN
South Bend police officer who fatally shot black man resigns

(CNN) An Indiana police sergeant who shot and killed a black man suspected of breaking into cars has resigned from the South Bend Police Department, Chief Scott Ruszkowski told CNN on Monday.

The shooting roiled the Indiana community, drawing attention to years of racial tension between the South Bend Police Department and the city's African American residents. It has also provided a glimpse into presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg's leadership as South Bend's mayor.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:56 pm

We're still proud of Pete! We all agree this may not be his time, but shoot, coming in #1 for the quarter is amazing considering nobody knew him a year ago. I'm glad his voice will be in the debates. This WaPo story focuses on Beto only bringing in $3.7M but has this list:
Candidates polling near the top of the field all reported drawing at least $10 million during the same three-month period, federal filings made public Monday night show.

The top Democratic fundraisers of the second quarter, based on federal filings, were: South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg ($24.9 million); former vice president Joe Biden ($22 million); Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts ($19.2 million); Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont ($18 million); and Sen. Kamala D. Harris of California ($11.8 million).

O’Rourke raised less money than Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey ($4.5 million), but more than Washington Gov. Jay Inslee ($3 million), Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado ($2.8 million), former housing secretary Julián Castro ($2.8 million) and entrepreneur Andrew Yang ($2.8 million). His haul is comparable to that of Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota ($3.9 million).
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... d55476288c

ETA: This may be the only story I've ever posted from NEWSMAX :lol:
Buttigieg Raises More in NYC Than de Blasio Does Nationwide
Tuesday, 16 July 2019 06:45 PM

New Yorkers reportedly donated more money to the presidential campaign of small-town South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg than they did to their own mayor and White House hopeful Bill de Blasio.

Buttigieg's campaign announced it raised $2.35 million from New Yorkers during the past three months — more than twice the $1.1 million de Blasio raised nationwide since launching his campaign in May, the New York Post reported.

According to the Post, Buttigieg collected contributions from 14,000 city residents, more than twice de Blasio's total 6,700 donors.

Even de Blasio supporter and fellow Brooklyn resident Steve Buscemi contributed $500 to Buttigieg, the Post reported.
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/pete- ... id/924733/
Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:45 am

I suspect the LGBTQ community had a lot to do with Buttigieg's haul this quarter.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 pm

The Hill
Buttigieg: 'The squad' is 'very healthy for our party'

Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., says he thinks that a having a range of ideas within the Democratic Party is "healthy" amid increased focus on a quartet of progressive freshmen congresswomen known as "the squad."

Asked how he would relate to the Democratic lawmakers, or others in the party he may disagree with, Buttigieg replied, "I think it's very healthy for our party to have a range of opinions, especially as we get into this season of the 2020 primary."

"The whole virtue of the primary is it's when people hash out exactly where the party is headed, and I welcome all of those voices," he continued. "We're talking about Americans who have been elected by their fellow Americans in order to lead and represent them, that's a healthy conversation, even if it turns at some moments into a tug-of-war over strategy or we're still hashing out what the right answer's going to be."

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 am

Politico
Buttigieg campaign adds ex-DNC CEO to expanded senior staff

Pete Buttigieg has hired two seasoned Democratic operatives to boost his early-state and policy teams.

Jess O’Connell has signed on as a senior adviser charged with leading the South Bend, Ind., mayor's strategy in early primary and caucus states, campaign officials told POLITICO. O’Connell served as CEO of the Democratic National Committee in 2017 and has also been executive director of EMILY’s List. Prior to that, she was the national operations director on Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign and held a senior role at the Center for American Progress.

The Buttigieg campaign has also hired Sonal Shah as national policy director, as Buttigieg tries to beef up his policy bona fides. Shah is taking a leave of absence from Georgetown University, where she was the founding executive director of the Beeck Center for Social Impact and Innovation. Shah was a deputy assistant to the president during the Obama administration and previously worked at Google, Goldman Sachs and the Clinton-era Treasury Department.

The hirings are the most high-profile additions the campaign has made since it announced raising $24.9 million in the second fundraising quarter of 2019, the highest total in the Democratic field. Buttigieg's campaign is planning to expand rapidly in the third quarter using that windfall.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:45 am
I suspect the LGBTQ community had a lot to do with Buttigieg's haul this quarter.
I'd love to see some numbers on that, really. Because 25 million dollars is a fuck of a lot of money and my own observations—however "everyone I know voted for McGovern" they may be—are that the LGBTQ community is not at all overwhelmingly in favor of Pete Buttigieg.

(My own circle of broke-ass overeducated queers seems fairly evenly split between Warren, Sanders, and bloody revolution.)
How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Kansas City Star - Melinda Henneberger: Pete Buttigieg has a point: Republicans will call any Democratic nominee a socialist

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 pm

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 am
I'd love to see some numbers on that, really. Because 25 million dollars is a fuck of a lot of money and my own observations—however "everyone I know voted for McGovern" they may be—are that the LGBTQ community is not at all overwhelmingly in favor of Pete Buttigieg.

(My own circle of broke-ass overeducated queers seems fairly evenly split between Warren, Sanders, and bloody revolution.)
In my circle, it's not Warren and Sanders. (our age circles differ?) Pete remains a bright, but cautious, choice. However, they aren't dumping cash upon him -- yet.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Return to “Presidential Election”