Meanwhile in Texoma........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Smelling Smoke in San Antonio? Here’s why.
Smoke from fires in the Texas Panhandle is being carried south on gusty winds

https://www.ksat.com/weather/2024/02/28 ... heres-why/

Wildfires, including one that is already ranking as one of the largest in Texas history, are creating smoky conditions that are getting carried across Texas. A cold front producing gusty north winds is responsible for transporting the smoke to San Antonio.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

WFFD sent to help with fires in Texas Panhandle

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2024/02 ... panhandle/
This response to wildfire activity has also enlisted the need for local firefighters to aid in the disaster.

According to City of Wichita Falls Public Information Officer Chris Horgen, two members of the Wichita Falls Fire Department are currently fighting fires in the Panhandle.

Horgen said these members are working with the Texas A&M Forest Service Task Force.
WFFD has 156 employees not all of whom are fire fighters.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Nasty fire. The local news just covered it. It said it is the fifth-largest fire in Texas history. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fort Worth Fire Department
@FortWorthFire
·
Follow
15 #FWFD firefighters have deployed to the #SmokehouseCreekFire in Hutchinson County (in the Texas Panhandle).
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Climate Change Is Raising Texas’ Already High Wildfire Risks
The Smokehouse Creek fire is a sign of more to come. Property insurers in Texas are already responding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/29/clim ... press.coop
Climate change is increasing the risk of wildfires in Texas, a danger made real this week as the Smokehouse Creek fire, the largest in state history, burns out of control across the Panhandle region.

And that growing fire risk is beginning to affect the insurance market in Texas, raising premiums for homeowners and causing some insurers to withdraw from parts of the state.

:snippity:

On Monday, as the Smokehouse Creek fire began to spread, it was 82 degrees Fahrenheit in Amarillo. The city’s average daytime high temperature in February is 54 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.

As of Thursday, a New York Times tracker based on federal data shows more than one million acres burning, making the fire one of the most destructive in U.S. history.

Texas is currently the state with the second highest number of properties that are vulnerable to wildfires, behind Florida, according to analysis by the nonprofit research group First Street Foundation.

In most of Texas, wildfires happen in the summer. But across the Southern Plains, including the Texas Panhandle, fire risk is highest around March when temperatures warm, strong winds blow over the flat landscape and dry grass left from the previous growing season can easily catch fire.

Only about 1 percent of wildfires in Texas happen in the Panhandle, but the region accounts for half of the state’s acres burned, said Sean Dugan, a spokesman for the Texas A&M Forest Service. “They’re not very numerous. But when they do happen, they get really big,” he said.

Normally, if there is no drought, in April the landscape starts to become green and the Panhandle’s fire risk goes down. But this year, there are “enhanced chances” of a dry spring and summer and a hot summer, Dr. Nielsen-Gammon said. As a result, he expects the fire risk to remain high in the Panhandle and it may be higher during the summer in the rest of the state as well.

As the climate changes, the very concept of a fire season is becoming blurry.

“There were clear fire seasons for Texas in the past, but fires have become a year-round threat,” said Yongqiang Liu, a meteorologist at the U.S. Forest Service’s Southern Research Station, in an email.

Texans are noticing the uptick in extreme weather events, said Jeremy Mazur, a senior policy adviser at Texas 2036, a nonpartisan research organization that helps fund an extreme weather report written by the state climatologist.

A top concern of residents is the rising cost of homeowners insurance, according to a recent survey conducted by Texas 2036. About 88 percent of 1,000 likely voters polled expressed some level of concern about extreme weather events increasing what they pay for property insurance.

“The real impact that we’re starting to see from this growing wildfire risk is in the form of growing property insurance premiums,” Mr. Mazur said.

Texas homeowners saw their insurance rates increase 53.6 percent between 2019 and 2023, according to data compiled by S&P Global Market Intelligence. That was the highest rate of any state save for Arizona.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Get yourself a Neti Pot and plenty of saline solution. It works great to clean your sinuses. Have some Nasacort on hand to help heal too.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday evening we had a representative from a very large window replacement firm over to look at some of our windows.

I could not believe the prices for new windows. :eek: For just one double hung window about $3000. :o

We arranged to replace the front picture window in our living room with an openable energy efficient window for over $8000.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We put in new windows last year, 20 of them, eight of those one lights, so no mechanicals, and a sliding glass patio door. They were the cost of the entire house (minus the property) 45 years ago. I just had the house re-sided, with all new deck (16 x 40) out back, and a new re-do of the front deck and stairs. I added a shed roof over the top deck. That was 2 1/2 half times the cost of the house and property 45 years ago. When they did the back deck, I had them take off an upper deck that we just really never used. That meant the door in the library to that deck upstairs had to be taken out. I could have opted to just close the door off, but I decided to go with a matching window to the one on that level.

They will be doing the new library window next week. Cost: $5,500, 18 x 30. That does include plastering the wall around the new window.

I did go high-end on the siding. I don't like vinyl siding, and it would have looked awful on this house, so I went with Hardie siding. But while I went with good composite windows, I did not go for the top of the line with those. I also went with one of the highest rated home contracting companies in the area. I am too old to want to take the chance of doing business with someone who left me with issues. Those make the news often enough. This house will probably be sold in the next five to ten years, sooner if something happens to me. I want to leave it to the kids to sell for the best price possible. I am absolutely satisfied with the work the company did. And I really didn't have a choice, since my husband let things go.

Next up, all new wood floors inside. :dance:

So, yeah, I sympathize with you. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday my daughter had a half day off. She and Mrs. V went out to get some plants for the beds. They came back with an appointment with a bathroom upgrader to get an in home estimate on a new tub/shower for our daughter's and SIL's full bathroom. Well, we are spending so little on the new front window.........

Never did get any plants.

I just got up from a nap. Daughter and Mrs. V nowhere around. Checked Google maps. Yes, you guessed it. They are out shopping together. :? :?

Seem to be at Lowes. This could get expensive. The shopping gene is strong in those two. ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Retail therapy. :towel:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V. and our daughter bought several hundred dollars worth of garden plants.

Not shown- fig tree, rosemary bush and plants for side and front of house. ;)

Mrs. V back at plant shops this morning to get two more plants. ;)
yjh-qLJvR7qdUqHL_ZiUNA (Large).jpg
yjh-qLJvR7qdUqHL_ZiUNA (Large).jpg (301.92 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Iowa Park is a small town (pop. ~6500) just west of us.

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2024/03 ... forcement/

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Speaking of Iowa Park, it is a beautiful day, the skies are sunny, the temperature is 72F, the police are gassing a person out of an attic....

Subject detained in possible SWAT situation on Bell Road

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/lo ... y%20digest
A subject was taken into custody on Bell Road following a possible SWAT standoff Monday afternoon.

A large response was called in around 12:40 p.m. Monday, March 11, 2024, to the 2200 block of Bell Road South for a barricaded subject.

According to our reporter on the scene, local officials and a SWAT team were involved in a standoff when a suspect reportedly barricaded himself in a nearby building’s attic.

Deputies with the Wichita County Sheriff’s Office, Iowa Park Police Department and Iowa Park Fire Department reportedly gassed the suspect out of the building, according to our reporter.

After deploying the gas, law enforcement was able to detain the subject and take them into custody.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Rare pink grasshopper found in Wichita Falls

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/lo ... HiLV5Dnz40
An unusual-colored grasshopper surprised a Wichita Falls resident last week when she was in her front yard. Instead of its typical grass-green hue, the bug was a dusty pink, sticking out like a sore thumb against the bushes in her yard.

A docent at the nature center identified the insect as a specimen of Chortophaga viridifasciata, otherwise known as a green-striped grasshopper. This common species is found throughout the Great Plains.

Kevin Seman, Lead Docent of Riverbend Nature Center, reported that the grasshopper’s coloring comes from a mutation called erythrism, which is caused by an excess of red pigment in an animal’s coloring.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Neat, but not exactly camouflaged.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Obviously: a cross-dresser ;)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:16 pm Neat, but not exactly camouflaged.
https://www.chron.com/life/wildlife/art ... 085842.php (different hopper at a wildlife refuge)
"While rare, this pink coloration is actually due to a genetic mutation called erythrism and is caused by the overproduction of red pigments and the underproduction of dark pigments," wildlife officials explained in a Sunday Facebook post. "Because these bright pink 'hoppers are not well-camouflaged, they're much more likely to be eaten by predators. Good luck, little one!"

As noted by wildlife officials, it's not easy being pink. Since they're more visible against plants, pink grasshoppers rarely survive to adulthood, according to National Geographic. The pink genetic mutation was first discovered in the katydid species in 1887, and typically occurs in the common meadow grasshopper. Green-striped grasshoppers are typically tan, brown or green in color and have a green or brown stripe close to the border of their front wings, which are yellowish and smokey near the tips, according to Animal Diversity Web.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

MUTANT GRASSHOPPERS!!!!!!!

:panic: :panic: :panic:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Who knew that people with their hair on fire could remain calm enough to engage in synchronized running.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am Who knew that people with their hair on fire could remain calm enough to engage in synchronized running.
What happened to “stop, drop, and roll”?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:47 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:11 am Who knew that people with their hair on fire could remain calm enough to engage in synchronized running.
What happened to “stop, drop, and roll”?
That's what you do when your pants are on fire ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

If you can perform synchronized swimming and synchronized dancing synchronized running with your hair on fire is easy.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Crews respond to grass fire near Fisher Road

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2024/03 ... NxykOZWjkT
Large plumes of smoke could be seen in a field near Fisher Road on Wednesday.

Fire crews were called to the scene at 12:40 p.m. at Midwestern Parkway East and Fisher Road.

The fire is located on the backside of the Wichita Clutch building in the business district.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:yawn:

Early morning today. New bathtub being installed in our daughter's and SIL's bathroom.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

And the tub is installed. :biggrin:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”