Self Driving Cars/Vehicles

TollandRCR

Re: Self Driving Cars/Vehicles

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:13 pm

I have one of those automatics that allows for clutchless shifting. There are paddles on the steering wheel. I sometimes go into that mode because I tell myself that I am just a bit better than is the automatic.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 pm

ABS saved me from crashing a borrowed car on ice. Cresting a hill I suddenly saw cars off the road all over and one right in front of me. My onboard driving program reported "We are going to hit that car," because 1) if we brake gently enough to not break loose we would hit, 2) braking normally and skidding would make us hit harder, and 3) and steering reported it wasn't going to bite. Straight line time.

Didn't know about the ABS. I'd never owned one. The brakes did that rumbley thing and stopped that vehicle one foot before impact.

I'm a believer, now.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 pm

I don't feel anything when my automatic shifts. I don't even know when it shifts unless I'm looking at the tach.
CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)? if so there are no shift points. CVT added some efficiency but with a cost, very expensive to rebuilt and more susceptible to damage. I drive a Subaru and refuse to get a late model one with the CVT.

When I started driving an automatic I remember slamming on the brakes to shit gears.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:10 am

jonbeck wrote: :snippity:
When I started driving an automatic I remember slamming on the brakes to shit gears.
I'd shit gears too if I was riding in a car and the driver slammed on the brakes!

It took me a moment to understand what you meant (aiming for the non-existent clutch pedal with your left foot) because I was thinking of "kickdown" where a quick jab on the accelerator pedal instructs the automatic gearbox to change down, giving more torque for a bit of rapid acceleration. I couldn't work out how a competent driver - or even an incompetent one - could confuse the pedals in that situation.

I assume automatics still have kickdown, yes? I rarely used it on a small old automatic that I drove back in the Mesozoic Era. The kickdown sometimes didn't operate if the jab wasn't sharp enough. And it changed back up again if the driver delayed slightly in actually calling on the extra revs. Both effects could be disconcerting. But it probably encouraged me toward smoother driving habits.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:54 am

Y'all are making me miss my long history of standards! Up until I got my current ride, whenever I had a choice, I went with the standard. When I was 15 my grandmother took me to Greenville (30 miles from Indianola) and bought me a sweet little turquoise Celica with a white landau top and standard transmission. At a car lot on the main highway. With a driveway on a fairly steep grade that fed directly onto said highway. Keep in mind this is the MS Delta, which is flat as a mirror except for that one parking lot. She took off for home in her own car and left me to drive my new baby back. The only things with a clutch I'd ever driven before were motorcycles and tractors. NOT THE SAME THING! I assured her I knew what I was doing because that little beauty was going to be mine, no matter what. I was tired of sharing the '68 Dodge Coronet station wagon with my brother.

So here I am, stylin' in my perfect new ride, facing not only an uphill stop, but a quick start into a 6 lane highway from that dead stop, in a manual transmission car I had no clue how to drive and absolutely NO idea how the hell I was going to do that. Sooooo....I climbed to the top of that hill, grabbed the emergency brake and yanked up, revved the engine in first gear until the traffic cleared, then dropped the brake and scooted out onto the road. Not my finest moment in the annuls of driving, but I got home in one piece and by the time I had taken all the feeder roads and farm to market roads going the back way, I had a pretty good handle on how to drive that car. Thus began my love affair with manual cars.

My current ride is a '95 Nissan Pathfinder with 300,000 miles on it that runs like a dream and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but damn, I miss that Celica.

Speaking of not being able to drive a standard, I once had a beautiful red '68 Mustang that my boss coveted. I let him borrow it one day to run some errand and he called me in a panic about 15 minutes after he left to tell me he thought he'd blown the transmission, because he couldn't get it to go into 4th gear. I let him sweat for a minute before I told him it was a 3-speed.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:02 am

Three on the tree. Can I get one on a Yugo?

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Chao and 45 Administration Jumping into the self driving field - of course MUST repeal Obama's evil rules

WASHINGTON — U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao said on Sunday she was reviewing self-driving vehicle guidance issued by the Obama administration :twisted: and urged companies to explain the benefits of automated vehicles to a skeptical public.

The guidelines, which were issued in September, call on automakers to voluntarily submit details of self-driving vehicle systems to regulators in a 15-point "safety assessment" and urge states to defer to the federal government on most vehicle regulations.

:evil: Automakers have raised numerous concerns about the :twisted: guidance, including that it requires them to turn over significant data :evil: , could delay testing by months and lead to states making the voluntary guidelines mandatory :evil: :evil: .

In November, major automakers urged the then-incoming 45 administration to re-evaluate the guidelines and some have called for significant changes. Automakers called on Congress earlier this month to make legislative changes to speed self-driving cars to U.S. ro...

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Off Topic
Started off with a 1954 Nash Metropolitan with the A40 Austin engine and a 3 in the tree. Didn't like to go over 60 MPH. OK little 2 two seater for a HS kid (damn thing that a positive ground battery which made trying to put in a standard radio or 4 track/8 track (finally cassette) deck really dicey). The stock radio buzzed/hummed louder than the speaker output. It was small enough for just me to push start on a level parking lot. Even better if there was a little slope. I learned on that and my dad's VW Camper bus (boy I wish we would have just put that away somewhere instead of trading it in on the Dodge Matador wagon with the push button "can't bust it" automatic). Dad was coming down with MS and couldn't drive the stick anymore.

At first I preferred a stick and you would think the stick would tow more, but with the constant improvement in automatics, the automatic transmission will pull a larger load than the stick.
I finally got lazy enough to pretty much stick to autos (got married - spouses preferred autos). My last stick car was a Nissan Sentra that I drove during the early 90's for 100K miles. I already had 150K on it when I bought it for $600. My daughter got it and put another 40K on it before her hubby killed on the freeway - Just pull the plates and walk away :cry: .

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 pm

jonbeck wrote:
Been there & done both of those - shifting and :shit: gears on occasion.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Off Topic
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-news/ ... s_20170303
CLEVELAND — Cleveland police say an 18-year-old serial carjacker was arrested after his accomplice couldn't drive a stick shift — even with some coaching from the victim.

Damari Wayne was charged with robbery. Police say he committed three armed carjackings between Feb. 11 and Feb. 21, Cleveland.com reports.

Police say Wayne and a 17-year-old boy attempted to steal a 23-year-old man's car on Feb. 21. The younger teen got in the driver's seat but was unable to operate the vehicle. That's when police say the duo turned the gun on their victim while he tried to explain how to use the gears.

The duo eventually got frustrated and ran off with the man's cellphone, which police used to pinpoint their locat

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:36 pm

I currently drive a standard. But without the clutch pedal. DCT. :boxing:

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:22 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:I hate those anti-lock brakes especially in the snow. I want to be able to pump my own brakes and not have a dumb machine decide.
Me, too! It took me a long time to get used to NOT pumping them. And then if I drive the other car I get all confuzeled all over again. And it's lovely to hear from someone else who wants to drive the car rather than going along for the ride. :dance: ;)
I know they've probably helped people who aren't used to driving in snow or bad weather and who'd be likely to panic, slam down on their brakes and lock them up. But I feel like I'd be more likely to get into an accident with the ABS system taking the discretion away from me.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:23 pm

jonbeck wrote:
I hate those anti-lock brakes especially in the snow. I want to be able to pump my own brakes and not have a dumb machine decide.
Actually ABS brakes are not just mindlessly pumping your brakes. They monitor wheel rotation speed and modulate the brake pressure to each wheel independently to keep them turning at the same rate, this keeps you in a straight line. Impossible for you to do that on your own, the brake pedal brakes both wheels equally when there is no ABS. ABS brakes have saved my bacon a few times on icy mountain roads.
Maybe I don't wanna go in a straight line. ;)

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:38 pm

magdalen77 wrote:
HilltownGrrl wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:I hate those anti-lock brakes especially in the snow. I want to be able to pump my own brakes and not have a dumb machine decide.
Me, too! It took me a long time to get used to NOT pumping them. And then if I drive the other car I get all confuzeled all over again. And it's lovely to hear from someone else who wants to drive the car rather than going along for the ride. :dance: ;)
I know they've probably helped people who aren't used to driving in snow or bad weather and who'd be likely to panic, slam down on their brakes and lock them up. But I feel like I'd be more likely to get into an accident with the ABS system taking the discretion away from me.
Actually, the ABS system gives you discretion --- you can still steer when braking with ABS. I've dealt with snow ever since I learned to drive and have no question that I have much more control over a car with ABS than I do without.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:08 am

The couple of times they've activated on me it felt like the car was taking control away from me. Though that just might be my overly grumpy and paranoid perception.

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Intel Jumps Into Driver-Less Car Technology
U.S. chipmaker Intel (INTC.O) agreed to buy Israeli driverless car-technology firm Mobileye (MBLY.N) for $15.3 billion on Monday, positioning itself for a dominant role in the fast-moving autonomous-driving sector.

The $63.54-per-share cash deal marks the largest purchase of a company solely focused on the self-driving sector and could significantly alter the competitive landscape among key technology and systems suppliers, including chipmakers Nvidia Corp (NVDA.O) and Qualcomm Inc (QCOM.O) and systems integrator Delphi Automotive PLC (DLPH.N).

Mobileye's shares jumped 30 percent to $61.30 in late morning U.S. trading, while Intel's shares were down 2 percent. Shares of Delphi, which has partnerships with both companies, were up 3 percent.

The deal underscores the expanding alliances between automakers and their suppliers as they race to develop self-driving cars, a concept that...

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:41 pm

And so it begins:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inn ... -the-road/
Uber suspends testing of self-driving cars after crash

Uber has taken its fleet of self-driving vehicles off the roads while it investigates a Friday night crash that left one of its SUVs sitting on its side.

Police in Tempe, Ariz., were called to a crash at approximately 6:25 p.m. Friday to find that the Uber SUV had been hit when another vehicle failed to yield, according to the Tempe Police Department. No serious injuries were reported.

The accident once again raises questions about the safety of autonomous driving technology and how it will interact with other drivers on the road. There was a person behind the wheel at the time of the Friday’s accident, but an Uber spokeswoman said the vehicle was in self-driving mode and that there were no backseat riders. The company’s self-driving fleet has been taken off the roads in Arizona pending the investigation. The company also suspended test vehicles in Pittsburgh and San Francisco.

The crash comes as Uber grapples with a wide range of crises. Among them, several Uber employees have been accused of stealing intellectual property from Waymo, Google’s self-driving car company, and using it as the basis for Uber’s self-driving technology. The outcome of that legal fight could affect Uber’s future significantly.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:58 pm

I can imagine being more secure and more comfortable with an Intel driverless car than with something that I pick out of a car lot. The last time that I went to a friend's home for Thanksgiving, it was late November and the winds had come in off the Pacific. There was an empty 18-wheeler on its side on the bridge at Newport, OR. I think that I probably did a better job across the bridge than the software would have done, but that I think solely because I think that intelligent software would have refused the drive across the bridge. I was then 72 and had no reason whatsoever to think that my reflexes were superior to a computer's.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 pm

Arizona police release video of fatal collision with Uber self-driving SUV
Sydney Maki, Alexandria Sage

TEMPE, Ariz./SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Police in Arizona on Wednesday released a short video of a fatal collision between an Uber self-driving vehicle and a pedestrian, as investigators probe the accident that has put new focus on the safety of autonomous vehicles.

The video, taken from inside the Volvo XC90 sport utility vehicle that Uber has used for testing, shows the vehicle driving along a dark road when an image of a woman walking a bicycle across the road suddenly appears in the headlights.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-auto ... SKBN1GX39A

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 pm

Exclusive: Tempe police chief says early probe shows no fault by Uber
By Carolyn Said March 19, 2018 Updated: March 19, 2018 6:08pm

Pushing a bicycle laden with plastic shopping bags, a woman abruptly walked from a center median into a lane of traffic and was struck by a self-driving Uber operating in autonomous mode.

“The driver said it was like a flash, the person walked out in front of them,” said Sylvia Moir, police chief in Tempe, Ariz., the location for the first pedestrian fatality involving a self-driving car. “His first alert to the collision was the sound of the collision.”

Elaine Herzberg, 49, was unconscious at the scene and later died of her injuries at a local hospital. At a news conference, Tempe police said it appears that she may have been homeless.

Uber is confirming that one of its self-driving vehicles struck and killed a pedestrian in the Phoenix metro area Sunday night. Company officials say Uber is halting all of its self-driving testing as of Monday. (March 19)

The self-driving Volvo SUV was outfitted with at least two video cameras, one facing forward toward the street, the other focused inside the car on the driver, Moir said in an interview.

From viewing the videos, “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir said. The police have not released the videos.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/ar ... 765481.php

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 pm

I just posted this on a BMW fan site I frequent. Needless to say, the posts are not as . . . thoughtful . .. as those here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4

How many pedestrians were struck and killed today by traditional human-driven cars?
Exactly. The interesting philosophical question is this:

How good does autonomy have to be before we accept it as an alternative to human-directed driving?

The correct answer, which is both politically and socially unacceptable, is:

Just slightly better than human-directed driving.

Instead, we demand near perfection of things which human beings do not control, although our control is pretty pathetic, especially with cars.

Not only are drivers incompetent and inattentive, but they are also usually unaware of their cars' capabilities and unable to use those capabilities to the fullest. (One example: human beings don't brake hard enough in emergency situations. So car designers, having noticed the problem, have boosted the force of hard braking.) In addition to inattention is distraction. And eating and having imbibed alcohol. All of them are killers.

Human beings pretty much do a shit poor job of driving. Autonomous driving which saves a few lives is sufficient to install it. But that won't happen. Call it species hubris, or maybe fear of being replaced. Whatever it is, autonomy is going to have to be close to perfect.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:50 pm

jonbeck wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 pm
I don't feel anything when my automatic shifts. I don't even know when it shifts unless I'm looking at the tach.
CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)? if so there are no shift points. CVT added some efficiency but with a cost, very expensive to rebuilt and more susceptible to damage. I drive a Subaru and refuse to get a late model one with the CVT.

HouseFrau’s daughter keeps a Subaru with CVT at our house. I hates it.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:50 pm
jonbeck wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:19 pm

HouseFrau’s daughter keeps a Subaru with CVT at our house. I hates it.

If you've ever seen a snowmobile drive system, it's basically the same thing but no clutch packs on older units anyway.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:21 pm

The Wall Street Journal
‏Verified account @WSJ
6m6 minutes ago

Uber won't renew its permit to test robot cars https://on.wsj.com/2GbZxbS

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Ex-Apple Employee Stole Secrets for Chinese Firm, U.S. Says https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... inese-firm

I can't copy and paste from the Bloomberg app.

A question for the IAALs - How did this get turned into a criminal issue?

Return to “Science & Technology”