Anti-Abortion Pro-Life

Slim Cognito

Re: Anti-Abortion Pro-Life

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 am

Becker says the bill also speaks to coverage of ectopic or tubal pregnancies where the fertilized egg attaches outside of the womb.

“Part of that treatment would be removing that embryo from the fallopian tube and reinserting it in the uterus so that is defined as not an abortion under this bill," Becker explains.
How do these morons manage to get to work without being run over by a truck?
Goodwill has opened their Halloween Dept which makes it officially Halloween Season! :dance: ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 09, 2019 10:15 am

I only wish they'd get run over by a truck, the rat bastards :madguy:
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 am
Becker says the bill also speaks to coverage of ectopic or tubal pregnancies where the fertilized egg attaches outside of the womb.

“Part of that treatment would be removing that embryo from the fallopian tube and reinserting it in the uterus so that is defined as not an abortion under this bill," Becker explains.
How do these morons manage to get to work without being run over by a truck?

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am

The Hoarse Whisperer@HoarseWisperer

Pro-lifers have spent decades using litigation to try to rob women of autonomy.

Here’s an idea: return the favor

As states like GA prep abortion bans, craft a plan to sue men for damages for unwanted pregnancies.

Not child support. Damages.
To career, income and oppty.

Women suffer both near- and long-term consequences of having children.

Men being sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars for their share of liability would be... interesting.

Represent the plaintiffs pro bono. Publicize the cases. Make every bit public and costly for men.
I've heard this bull before.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu May 09, 2019 11:59 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am
The Hoarse Whisperer@HoarseWisperer

Pro-lifers have spent decades using litigation to try to rob women of autonomy.

Here’s an idea: return the favor

As states like GA prep abortion bans, craft a plan to sue men for damages for unwanted pregnancies.

Not child support. Damages.
To career, income and oppty.

Women suffer both near- and long-term consequences of having children.

Men being sued for hundreds of thousands of dollars for their share of liability would be... interesting.

Represent the plaintiffs pro bono. Publicize the cases. Make every bit public and costly for men.
Re GA: Who gets to decide what "responsible" means. The same people who keep deciding unarmed black men who get shot during routine traffic stops were asking for it?

Looking at it in abstract terms, twitter is wondering if men in GA could go to prison for second degree murder if they inadvertently cause a miscarriage, like bumping into wifey on a slick driveway or running a stop sign that causes a minor accident. We're guessing...no.
Goodwill has opened their Halloween Dept which makes it officially Halloween Season! :dance: ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 09, 2019 12:42 pm

WaPo
After shouting match breaks out, Alabama Senate reverses course and tables controversial abortion vote

After a fight broke out, the Alabama Senate on Thursday voted to table a controversial bill to criminalize abortions by making preforming the procedure a felony punishable by up to 99 years imprisonment.

A vote affecting the abortion bill was then tabled. Democrats shouted demands for a roll-call vote.

The vote was then moved until next week. The bill would be the most restrictive in the country and would impose what is in effect a near-total abortion ban.

Alabama is among more than two dozen states which have sought to impose new restrictions on abortion this year. Georgia on Tuesday became the sixth state to impose a ban on abortions after the sixth week of pregnancy.

Alabama Rep. Terri Collins, who sponsored the bill, said its purpose is to spark litigation that would force the conservative majority on the U.S. Supreme Court to reconsider Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that guarantees a woman’s right to abortion.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu May 09, 2019 2:37 pm

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Fri May 10, 2019 4:25 pm

I am now at the point where I ask self-proclaimed pro-lifers how they plan on punishing women who get abortions. Because making abortion illegal is not going to stop abortion.

The leaders of the church I protest at believe that the state should execute women who have abortions, since in their minds getting an abortion is premeditated murder. But you've not lived until you've had an 11 YO boy tell you that he wants to see women executed for having abortions. In that, he's less subtle than his father, who wants the state to do it.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri May 10, 2019 5:25 pm

mmmirele wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:25 pm
I am now at the point where I ask self-proclaimed pro-lifers how they plan on punishing women who get abortions. Because making abortion illegal is not going to stop abortion.

The leaders of the church I protest at believe that the state should execute women who have abortions, since in their minds getting an abortion is premeditated murder. But you've not lived until you've had an 11 YO boy tell you that he wants to see women executed for having abortions. In that, he's less subtle than his father, who wants the state to do it.
A couple facts that may help...

The country with the highest rate of abortion in the world, abortion and the pill are illegal. (Brazil)

In 2013 we passed doG in the number of unborn babies murdered in this country. Why are they not interested in keeping that going and instead are going to send it back underground where the only abortions they'll know about are the ones that go bad?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Jim wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:25 pm
A couple facts that may help...

The country with the highest rate of abortion in the world, abortion and the pill are illegal. (Brazil)
Not only is the pill legal in Brazil, it requires no prescription and there is no age limit. The "morning after" pill is available over the counter with no prescription or age limit, for under $10. The government provides free contraception, including the pill, implants, IUDs, sterilization and condoms for low-income and rural areas and very low cost in urban areas. I think my daughter pays something stupid like $9 for a years supply.

https://gynopedia.org/Brazil

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 11, 2019 9:13 am

Associated Press
Federal judge strikes down Kentucky abortion law

FRANKFORT, Ky. — A federal judge on Friday struck down a Kentucky abortion law that would halt a common second-trimester procedure to end pregnancies. The state's anti-abortion governor immediately vowed to appeal.

U.S. District Judge Joseph H. McKinley Jr. ruled that the 2018 law would create a "substantial obstacle" to a woman's right to an abortion, violating constitutionally protected privacy rights.

Kentucky's only abortion clinic challenged the law right after it was signed by Republican Gov. Matt Bevin. A consent order had suspended its enforcement pending the outcome of last year's trial in which Bevin's legal team and ACLU attorneys argued the case.

The law takes aim at an abortion procedure known as "dilation and evacuation." The procedure was used in 537 of 3,312 abortions in Kentucky in 2016, according to state statistics.

McKinley wrote that standard D&E procedures account for virtually all second-trimester abortions in Kentucky. The law would "unduly burden" women seeking the procedure, he said. ...

The result, the judge said, would be that women lose "the right to obtain a pre-viability abortion anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky after 15 weeks."

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 pm

Portland Press Herald
Maine House passes bill requiring MaineCare to pay for abortions

If approved by the Senate and signed by Gov. Janet Mills, the bill will add Maine to the 15 states that allow state tax funds to be spent on abortion services.

AUGUSTA — House lawmakers gave initial approval Tuesday to a bill that would require Maine’s Medicaid program and private insurance companies to pay for abortion services.

The 79-63 vote followed roughly two hours of emotional yet respectful debate and fell largely along party lines, with every Republican opposing the measure and all but eight Democrats voting in support. The proposal, which would make Maine the 16th state to spend public funds on abortions, is the first of several abortion-related bills expected to get strong consideration this session.

“No one – no politician, no insurance company – should ever come between a person and their health care provider,” said bill sponsor Rep. Joyce McCreight, D-Harpswell. “We have created a system that opens the door for those with means to pay, while slamming it for those less fortunate. It is unfair and it is discrimination.”

With Democrats controlling both chambers of the Legislature and Democrat Gov. Janet Mills in the Blaine House, abortion rights defenders are hoping to score major legislative victories in Maine this year even as they fight against attempts to restrict access to abortion in other states.

The bill now heads to the Maine Senate, where Democrats hold a smaller majority.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sun May 12, 2019 7:12 am

Addie wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 pm
Portland Press Herald
ill sponsor Rep. Joyce McCreight, D-Harpswell [said] “We have created a system that opens the door for those with means to pay, while slamming it for those less fortunate. It is unfair and it is discrimination.”

That statement is a fair description of the core philosophy of the strand of Republican politics not it not simply Christian dominionism.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Missouri lawmakers send strict antiabortion bill to governor, joining wave of conservative states

Missouri House passes restrictive abortion law, joining other conservative states

By Lindsey Bever May 17 at 3:13 PM

Missouri lawmakers have passed a strict antiabortion bill that will criminalize the procedure at eight weeks of pregnancy, following several other conservative states that have approved similar measures.

Missouri’s Republican-controlled House voted 110 to 44 on Friday to pass the bill and send it to Republican Gov. Mike Parson for his approval. Parson, who has vowed to make Missouri “one of the strongest pro-life states in the country,” is expected to sign it into law.

HB 126, known as the “Missouri Stands for the Unborn Act,” would ban abortions before many women know they are pregnant, with no exceptions for rape or incest.

The vote came just hours before the state’s legislative session was set to end, and was preceded by an emotional debate in the House, where some lawmakers recounted their own experiences with abortion. Aside from some outbursts from spectators in the gallery and quiet sobbing at times that appeared to come from the House floor, the chamber was largely silent during the arguments about the bill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... or-incest/

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri May 17, 2019 4:48 pm

With these bills coming in fast and furious I can't help but wonder if they are all going to backfire when they mobilize the opposition. Their one chance is to get a very quick, clean SCOTUS reversal of Roe and I have some doubt that will happen. I would think ONE bill from ONE state to test the law would be far preferable to many laws, in many forms, from many states would be the wrong way to test it. But I may be wrong.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Wonder if companies are going to invest in these states.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Dear Gov Ivey -
Thank you for signing the Enforced Pregnancy Act of 2019. Woman finally know their place. They do have one question though: Can they keep their shoes?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 pm
Dear Gov Ivey -
Thank you for signing the Enforced Pregnancy Act of 2019. Woman finally know their place. They do have one question though: Can they keep their shoes?
Can they keep the right to vote?
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 pm

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat May 18, 2019 9:51 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:02 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 pm
Dear Gov Ivey -
Can they keep the right to vote?
Imagine suggesting abstinence only when discussing gun rights.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat May 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I believe that is exactly how the NRA and their pawns discuss gun rights.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 pm

I think we should see through the deception: Georgia, Alabama, and the other Wire-Hanger States do not intend or plan to spend a dime or lift a finger to investigate or prosecute some woman or doctor. They really expect and intend that their new anti-abortion laws will be challenged in court before anyone gets handcuffed, and that the court case would work its way to the Supreme Court at which stage Beer-barrel Brett and Company would reverse Rowe v. Wade. This reversal would effectively throw us back to around 1971, not with 99-year sentences for doctors or extra tax deductions for the women, just the unavailability of elective abortions.

So, marches and petitions and boycotts are not going to sideline this plan. Only preparing a legal argument that will persuade the Supreme Court of the wisdom of legalizing abortion. I think this argument should not be based on the authority of Rowe v. Wade and its progeny but as if Rowe hadn't been decided.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat May 18, 2019 7:40 pm

A friend made the point this morning that probably 95% of the women of child-bearing age in this country right now have never known a time when Roe vs Wade was not in effect. I suspect they'll have a lot to say about the subject.

He also asked why 'brain activity' was used to determine death but not life. I don't know.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat May 18, 2019 7:46 pm

I have heard a few talking heads posit that John Roberts would not vote against Roe before the election, and maybe not even after (as it's his name on this court). I'm not sure I agree, but I do think that as bad as these states want to turn back the clock, their timing might not be as good as they think it is.

I'm probably (just barely) clinging to a very small barely-there chance.

I don't watch Bill Maher much any more, but he really went after the Catholic men on the Supreme Court last night: US--21 percent Catholic; SC: 67 percent Catholic.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat May 18, 2019 11:01 pm

If the Justices overturn Roe v. Wade, it may take more than voting in a whole new Congress to fix things. If the Supreme Court says that abortion is illegal under the Constitution then it is very probable that nothing short of a Constitutional Amendment may bring it back. And the chances of an Abortion Legalization Amendment passing 38 state legislatures is a real longshot, with every radio preacher and every Catholic priest (and a bunch of other molders of opinion) lined up against it.

There may well be an underground and bootleg market in Morning-After and RU248 (or whatever it's called) pills. An active tourist industry of flights to Canada or other countries where abortions are still available from real doctors. And probably pamphlets and internet websites with instructions for at-home abortions that amateurs can manage.

The real danger is that, prior to Roe v. Wade, abortions were simply unavailable, but if the Supreme Court yields to the wire-hanger crowd it is possible that abortions will be actively and energetically prosecuted and women and doctors sent to prison.

Return to “Current Events”