"The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 9297
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#51

Post by RVInit »

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:36 am
Not MSNBC. I have challenged others, and now you, to show me a single instance of them broadcasting lies.

Not difference of opinion about a fact, a non-fact.

Broadcasting intentional misinformation is the sole province of Fox ‘News’ and other right-wing media.
I agree. And not because I am a left wing nut. I grew up on Fox "news" and quit watching it all on my own without the input of any single person's opinion, other than I finally figured out how utterly and completely devoid of actual real facts I was becoming, and realizing that virtually every single other outlet had the same facts as each other, if not the same pundits with the same opinions about those facts. But... the same facts nonetheless. Fox and right wing outlets have a non reality all of their own.

The deep dive Fox has taken into the Trump cult was inevitable. They had themselves wrapped so tightly around the Republican party that when Trump took over the party they had no place to go except right into the belly of the cult. I don't know how they pull themselves out of it, I don't see it. But, what I do know is they can do a 180 in the same sentence and their brainwashed cult viewers don't even notice the dissonance.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
fierceredpanda
Posts: 2976
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:04 pm
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#52

Post by fierceredpanda »

Vox: Coverage of the first impeachment hearing illustrates how the media is falling short

The first public impeachment hearing on Wednesday featured testimony from two State Department officials, Bill Taylor and George Kent, who detailed why they concluded that President Donald Trump’s Ukraine policy was not about the national interest, but about digging up dirt on his political opponents. It also included a new revelation about a July phone call involving Trump that indicated just how focused the president was on cajoling the Ukrainian government into undertaking politically beneficial investigations.

The proceedings got to the very core of what the office of the presidency is supposed to be about in our country. It was the stuff of history. But to hear Reuters and NBC tell it, one of the major faults of the hearing was that it simply lacked pizzazz.

Both outlets were roundly dragged for posting news analysis stories that focused on the entertainment value (or purported lack thereof) of the hearing. NBC’s piece, authored by Jonathan Allen, claimed that the hearing “lacked the pizazz necessary to capture public attention” — a turn of phrase that quickly became a meme and echoed the talking points Trump family members and administration officials used.
The article features Jeff Mason's (you know, the head of the WHCA!) piece entitled "Consequential, but Dull," among others. That particular headline sent me through the roof yesterday, and inspired me to send Mason an angry tweet that I thought he was a better reporter than that. I don't know how we're supposed to function in a world where reporters are covering things like this in approximately the same fashion as professional wrestling announcers.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton


User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#53

Post by p0rtia »

Interesting challenge. I accept!

What constitutes "lying" for the purposes of showing that "MSNBC lies"?

- Is there a restriction on "who" is lying? Must it be a show host? Just someone on the payroll?

- What about lies of ignorance/ lazy lies?

- What about generalizations (intellectual lies), and a failure to identify who is being talked about? I admit I am triggered every time someone says, for example "New Hampshire voters" as if any group these days is best defined by a single character--whilst in the next segment someone is sure to use "polarization" to support the ineffectiveness of government institutions today.

- What about common misstatements of fact, e.g., "Americans voted for 45," to support a point?

- What about spinning and cherry picking the facts to support a lie (trolling)?

Thanks!
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 8734
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#54

Post by RoadScholar »

When they have broadcast something in error, they have issued an on-air retraction. I’ve seen it. Good luck finding an instance of Fox doing the same.

But based on your weasel-word qualifications, it’s plain you have no interest in finding an instance of MSNBC broadcasting a plain old lie.

You know what the hell I mean; don’t pretend you don’t.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#55

Post by p0rtia »

Well, I thought that would be fun. I guess I was wrong.

plonk
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#56

Post by p0rtia »

The Christmas Eve Confessions of Chuck Todd
‘Round midnight on Christmas eve, Rolling Stone posted a short interview with Chuck Todd, host of “the longest running show on television,” NBC’s Meet the Press.

Its contents were explosive, embarrassing, enraging, and just plain weird.

Three years after Kellyanne Conway introduced the doctrine of “alternative facts” on his own program, a light went on for Chuck Todd. Republican strategy, he now realized, was to make stuff up, spread it on social media, repeat it in your answers to journalists — even when you know it’s a lie with crumbs of truth mixed in — and then convert whatever controversy arises into go-get-em points with the base, while pocketing for the party a juicy dividend: additional mistrust of the news media to help insulate President Trump among loyalists when his increasingly brazen actions are reported as news.

Todd repeatedly called himself naive for not recognizing the pattern, itself an astounding statement that cast doubt on his fitness for office as host of Meet the Press. While the theme of the interview was waking up to the truth of Republican actions in the information warfare space, Todd went to sleep on the implications of what he revealed. It took him three years to understand a fact about American politics that was there on the surface, unconcealed since the day after inauguration. Many, many interpreters had described it for him during those lost years when he could not bring himself to believe it. (I am one.)
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 18168
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#57

Post by Suranis »

Published dec 24th

https://www.wonkette.com/pelosi-continu ... mpeachment
CBS News correspondent Marc Liverman reported on the impeachment standoff yesterday, and anchor Ann-Marie Green asked him about new emails revealing how Trump tried to screw over Ukraine for his own ends. Green asked Liverman, "How are the Democrats spinning it and how is the White House spinning it." Gonna stop Green right here. It's not about dueling "spins" but what the emails actually prove, which is Trump's obvious guilt. The media is gonna "both sides" us to an early grave. Maybe Pelosi should do their jobs, as well.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#58

Post by p0rtia »

An angry Nicole Wallace just blasted the Republicans in Congress (this is the morning after the Parnas - Maddow interview and the lead up to the swearing in of the Senate). I have never heard her angry like this. Her face was extraordinary. For reasons that escape me, it did my heart good.

Then Michael Steele came on and, for the very first time, was angry and upset and did not mince words. Anger directed at the hypocrisy of the Republican senators and the idea that they are about to take oaths that they have no intention of keeping.

Extraordinary Times.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#59

Post by p0rtia »

Aaaand MSNBC continues to shot itself in the foot as a credible news source (outside it's big guns) by having Scaramucci as their primary remote guest in the noon hour.

This is one of the downsides of the 24 hour media, but good god....
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 5185
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#60

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't have MSNBC on so much today. I need a break. But I did see him on. What the hell? He has nothing to contribute to this.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

User avatar
MN-Skeptic
Posts: 3517
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#61

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:33 pm
I don't have MSNBC on so much today. I need a break. But I did see him on. What the hell? He has nothing to contribute to this.
That is what happens when he can't have his campaign rallies. It's his narcissistic need to get attention.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 5185
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#62

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:34 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:33 pm
I don't have MSNBC on so much today. I need a break. But I did see him on. What the hell? He has nothing to contribute to this.
That is what happens when he can't have his campaign rallies. It's his narcissistic need to get attention.
Sorry I should have said Scaramucci.

But your point is well taken. I think they should stop carrying the noon rallies. twitler also contributes nothing. We would be better off for it. If he says anything of merit, they will have it on tape. That isn't likely to happen. He's just spreading lies.

I had a Facebook post from a cousin today about what a great job and great team twitler and pence are in this emergency. These stupid noon rallies are going straight out to his sheeple and reinforcing what he's saying, which then someone else has to clean up, but they never see that part. :sick:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 8734
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#63

Post by RoadScholar »

So if MSNBC has only lefties on, they’re in a liberal “bubble,” and if they have people like Scaramucci on, they have no credibility.

Got it.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

User avatar
Frater I*I
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:08 pm
Location: City of Dis, Sixth Circle of Hell
Occupation: Aviation Mechanic

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#64

Post by Frater I*I »

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 pm
So if MSNBC has only lefties on, they’re in a liberal “bubble,” and if they have people like Scaramucci on, they have no credibility.

Got it.
He's blunt, but he has a point...
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

busterbunker
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#65

Post by busterbunker »

Nice little story from a small town paper in Iowa. They ain't a goddam problem, so this may be the wrong thread.

The newspaper industry was already faltering. Will coronavirus obliterate it?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... iterate-it

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 29273
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#66

Post by Volkonski »

Got our copy of the Riverhead News Review in the mail yesterday. It was only about half as thick as usual due to reduced advertising.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TexasFilly
Posts: 20514
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#67

Post by TexasFilly »

So I guess hoping the media, particularly television, stops covering Trump's daily meltdowns and lies is a pipe dream. Charles Blow has a good Op-Ed up about this at the NYT.

The media coverage of these Astroturf End-The-Lockdown protests is beyond journalistic malpractice. The "protesters" are a statistically insignificant number of people in any of these states, yet the coverage never mentions this. I keep the TV off during the day, but I caught a top of the hour coverage on MSNBC. Young woman reporter focuses in on a 50ish woman wearing a tri-corner hat who is carrying a big sign and yelling about opening up the economy. Does the reporter ask this woman her name, what town she's from, and what she does for a living? NO. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: TV will remain off until after the Trump daily rally.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 9297
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#68

Post by RVInit »

I did FINALLY hear one reporter on CNN mention the total population of one of the states and the number of people at the protest. But yes, it drives me nuts to see these protests being covered as if it was anything more than a handful of irresponsible idiots. And of course, they neglect to mention how much these people are putting first responders, police officers, health care employees and others who have no choice but to keep working at additional unnecessary risk. These people are not patriots, they are the opposite of patriotic citizens.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 18168
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: "The Media is a goddam problem" General Thread

#69

Post by Suranis »

Ya, the Media is pretty complicit in this horseshit. I was shocked when BBC News started transmitting his filth.

This is what the Ohio protest actually look like. You think the librul media are gonna point this out?

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Post Reply

Return to “Media & Social Media”