Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

MN-Skeptic

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm

I have no experience with washing a quilt, but what about drying it for just a bit in a dryer, at a lower heat? You won't stress it too much, it won't over-dry and over-shrink, and it will dry quicker outside.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:29 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm
I have no experience with washing a quilt, but what about drying it for just a bit in a dryer, at a lower heat? You won't stress it too much, it won't over-dry and over-shrink, and it will dry quicker outside.
You can absolutely do that, but it won't actually buy you much. You can't really over-dry it. Dry is dry, and I throw mine in the dryer sometimes just to fluff them up, and any shrinkage is going to happen in the washer from the agitation. The dryer just sort of sinks the stitching into the batting and makes it kind of puffy and soft. Drying it outside makes it smell good though!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:32 pm

I forgot to mention that you'll do better if you take the quilt out of the dryer every 20 minutes or so and shake it out before throwing it back in the dryer. Damp quilts have a tendency to roll up into a ball so you need to shake it out flat every so often. It's not a big deal if you don't, but it will dry faster.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:31 am

Well. That answers a question I've had in mah brain-bone for many years: I went to college in Kentucky for a bit, and I always wondered why I saw quilts drying on the grass right next to perfectly good clotheslines.

Neat!

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Return to “The Lounge”