Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Whatever4

Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Great advice. I got the linen on Etsy. It’s leftover pieces from a place that makes aprons, pillowcases, sheets, etc.

I need Sugar’s superpowers. I can find great shirts that turn out to have permanent stains and are polyester besides.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm
Great advice. I got the linen on Etsy. It’s leftover pieces from a place that makes aprons, pillowcases, sheets, etc.

I need Sugar’s superpowers. I can find great shirts that turn out to have permanent stains and are polyester besides.
And I should probably blame you for the thumb-sucking trip to the thrift store today to look for linen. It was old lady day so 30% off of everything, and it felt like that's what I was trying to buy. 14 clothing items (one shirt to actually wear), an absolutely gorgeous red pulled thread linen tablecloth, a yard of blue slubbed linen, a very heavy embroidered linen pillow sham, a couple of linen napkins with embroidery and a twin size white cotton crocheted bedspread ($4! Four freaking dollars!!) all for a grand total of $31. Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.

All that because you asked about the damn linen.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 pm
Whatever4 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:02 pm

And I should probably blame you for the thumb-sucking trip to the thrift store today to look for linen. It was old lady day so 30% off of everything, and it felt like that's what I was trying to buy. 14 clothing items (one shirt to actually wear), an absolutely gorgeous red pulled thread linen tablecloth, a yard of blue slubbed linen, a very heavy embroidered linen pillow sham, a couple of linen napkins with embroidery and a twin size white cotton crocheted bedspread ($4! Four freaking dollars!!) all for a grand total of $31. Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.

All that because you asked about the damn linen.
:rotflmao:

But why can’t I ever find any? :think: Oh, I know. New England not known for wearing a bunch of linen. Flannel, yes.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:30 pm

The flannel doesn't show up around here until Nov, and then your choices are red plaid, blue plaid, green plaid, camo, or something with deer on it.

Circumspect

Post by Circumspect » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 pm
So I am currently working on some partially finished vintage quilts and loving it. One of the tops was finished and only needed quilting (a six-pointed star block on point), one was a bag full of arcs and cut, but unpieced, pieces (a double wedding ring), and one was a mostly completed top (Joseph's Coat pattern) that needed a ton of repairs and stabilizing.

I am really proud of the way these are turning out so far.

The arc on the double wedding ring wasn't the same on any 2 of the patches, so there was a lot of fiddly scrooching to make them fit. The 1/2 square triangle settings are new reproduction fabric, as is the red inner frame and the white on white background. Everything else is original. The serpentine border is just to make it larger and use up the last few arcs.

The Joseph's Coat was very unstable so it took me several days to decide how to stabilize it. I finally decided to applique it to a full muslin backing and treat the whole thing as the top. It still needs to be sandwiched and quilted but I'm much more confident that it's stable and won't fall apart while I'm working on it.
Wow, Sugar! It's impressive that you can take a bag of scraps and turn it into such beautiful works of art. Some truly lucky person is going to LOVE these forever.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi all

I went to a church bazaar today. There was a vintage quilt in the silent auction. It is circa 1930s, twin bed, all hand sewn and quilted. It is in pretty good shape,a few places where the top is worn, and a bit faded. It is a grandma's garden pattern I think. Well, being unable to resist old quilts, I bid on it and got it for $61. It is quite pretty and I like it but did I pay way too much?

Thanks

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 am

Nope. You did good.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:18 am

Circumspect wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:51 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:15 pm
So I am currently working on some partially finished vintage quilts and loving it. One of the tops was finished and only needed quilting (a six-pointed star block on point), one was a bag full of arcs and cut, but unpieced, pieces (a double wedding ring), and one was a mostly completed top (Joseph's Coat pattern) that needed a ton of repairs and stabilizing.

I am really proud of the way these are turning out so far.

The arc on the double wedding ring wasn't the same on any 2 of the patches, so there was a lot of fiddly scrooching to make them fit. The 1/2 square triangle settings are new reproduction fabric, as is the red inner frame and the white on white background. Everything else is original. The serpentine border is just to make it larger and use up the last few arcs.

The Joseph's Coat was very unstable so it took me several days to decide how to stabilize it. I finally decided to applique it to a full muslin backing and treat the whole thing as the top. It still needs to be sandwiched and quilted but I'm much more confident that it's stable and won't fall apart while I'm working on it.
Wow, Sugar! It's impressive that you can take a bag of scraps and turn it into such beautiful works of art. Some truly lucky person is going to LOVE these forever.
Yup, our Sugar is an impressive woman. :lovestruck:

So good to see you, circumspect! :lovestruck: I’ve missed you.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:12 am

WriteItDown wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:16 pm
Hi all

I went to a church bazaar today. There was a vintage quilt in the silent auction. It is circa 1930s, twin bed, all hand sewn and quilted. It is in pretty good shape,a few places where the top is worn, and a bit faded. It is a grandma's garden pattern I think. Well, being unable to resist old quilts, I bid on it and got it for $61. It is quite pretty and I like it but did I pay way too much?

Thanks
That's a pretty decent price for a Grandmother's flower garden that's in good enough shape to be sold as anything but a cutter quilt. They typically go for around $75-100 with no particular historic or construction significance.

And in the interest of pedantry, not all hexie quilts are GFG patterns, some are just hexies. Traditionally a true GFG will have yellow or red centers surrounded by 2 rows of hexies. The first row is either a very small print or a solid color and the second row is a larger print, usually coordinating with the solid color. The "pathway" between the flowers is typically green (for grass) or white. One of my favorite variations is the diamond setting with each flower being a whole block including the white pathways and little diamond blocks (again, usually green) between the pathways surrounding each block. With the diamond setting, the flat edges of adjacent blocks line up with each other rather than nesting.

Because these were true scrap quilts, it's not uncommon to find mis-matched fabrics within the same flower or pieced hexies. They used every inch of available fabric. The prints on yours are most likely either clothing or flour sacks, and I'd love to see a picture of it. If you have to make any repairs that require replacing the actual fabric, there are many flour sack reproduction prints available, including the ubiquitous Aunt Grace line.

p.s. "Too much" is defined by you. Will you get $61 worth of joy out of it?

p.p.s. USE IT! Don't stick it in a closet somewhere.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Thank you for the responses, especially Sugar. I will try to get a picture to post. I am still having a hard time getting a picture with few enough pixels to be posted on fogbow.
Sugar, you are amazing. You are so knowledgeable about almost every topic, especially quilting. In addition you are generous to put your time into explaining things in great detail. You have made me very interested in quilting and I very much appreciate the encouragement.
A quilting lesson from you is on my bucket list.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:05 am

Thanks. It's easy for me to get (too) wordy on the subject of quilts. As with anything someone is passionate about, they want to draw everyone else into their passion with them. I spend waaaay too much time falling down rabbit holes when looking up quilt info, whether it's just trying to identify a block pattern or researching a vintage or antique quilt I've run across. When I was in school, history was my very least favorite subject, but quilt history fascinates me. From the original quilted garments in Egypt 5000 years ago, to the Japanese noragi, to colonial American "traditional" quilts, nothing is too esoteric for me to get lost in link-chasing about. It's only taken me about 50 years since first learning to sew (and my first quilt) to narrow my interest to traditional American quilting. I wandered off that path for years making art quilts, creating my own fabric for original quilt designs, playing with every embellishment imaginable, surface design, you name it. But I have come back almost full circle to the origins of what quilting in America started as. I still don't do hand piecing or quilting but that's about it. The history, the stories, the glimpses into everyday lives of the time...it all fascinates me and draws me in and drives me even deeper into how these quilts were created. America can even claim the only creation of a specific type of quilt in the world. All other variations spring from the original, but the pinecone quilt is unique to the world of quilting, and originated in MS/AL. I've had the great fortune to see and handle some of the very earliest examples of those quilts, along with being tasked with hanging an entire show of the Gee's Bend quilts, and it's sort of like an archeologist discovering a buried city. I am incredibly lucky to spend my time and energy doing something that gives me joy (and makes me money) and still gives me goosebumps at times.

See? ALL the words when I get started on quilts!

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Wow, fascinating Sugar. Your enthusiasm is admirable and contagious. You should write a book and include pictures of all your endeavors . I did find out some information about the quilt I bought. It was made in Red Feather Lakes, Colorado. I am still on the trail of its history.
I think I can download some pictures now.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Old Quilt Closeup.jpg
Old Quilt Closeup.jpg
Old Quilt Closeup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm

OMG I am swooning over that quilt! It's definitely 30s era using flour sacks. I have scraps of at least 3 of the fabrics that I can identify from the photos. Yours is special because of the fussy cut motifs in the center ring of hexies and was obviously created by someone with great dedication. Each of those little flowers or whatever, had to be lined up just so, at the same place on the print, all over the fabric to get them all to match. Lots of waste doing fussy cuts, so I'm thinking she either had a shit ton of scraps, or maybe traded with others to get what she needed. Even on the "tossed" prints with a bunch of motifs, she still had to use 6 of them and waste all the fabric in between. It also explains why the print is the second ring of hexies instead of the outer. I can't think of a single vintage GFG I've ever seen that had the solids on the outside. The traditional green path makes an appearance in the border and the green binding is expected. Do the hexies finish at about 1.5"?

Beautiful example! Thank you for figuring out how to post photos so we could see your treasure.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Resizing images is easy. I use an app called “Image Size.” You choose an image, and choose how large you want it. (I usually use 300 or 600 pixels on TFB.) Click the download, and poof.

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:12 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Wow, fascinating Sugar. Your enthusiasm is admirable and contagious. You should write a book and include pictures of all your endeavors . I did find out some information about the quilt I bought. It was made in Red Feather Lakes, Colorado. I am still on the trail of its history.
I think I can download some pictures now.
Holy Moly, that quilt was $61?? You was gifted!

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:29 pm

That quilt made my jaw drop, and I'm not really a quilt person.

ImageImageImage x4

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am

Wow, thank you for the information. I see what you mean about the fussy cuts. I guess that extra dollar was worth it. I can’t imagine doing so much work for $61. I will treasure the quilt and use it. There is a red stain on it that does not bother me much. I have left it alone so far but should I try to spot clean it or wash it?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am

WriteItDown wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am
Wow, thank you for the information. I see what you mean about the fussy cuts. I guess that extra dollar was worth it. I can’t imagine doing so much work for $61. I will treasure the quilt and use it. There is a red stain on it that does not bother me much. I have left it alone so far but should I try to spot clean it or wash it?
If it seems to be in fairly stable shape, washing it in the machine likely won't hurt it. Use the highest water level and a cup of white vinegar instead of laundry detergent. Delicates or regular cycle is fine. Do a second spin to get as much of the water out as possible before removing it from the washer. Pick it up from the bottom so you're supporting the weight of it then throw it in the dryer. I usually throw a pair of tennis shoes in with mine instead of using a dryer sheet.

Of you aren't comfortable putting it in the washer you can do it in the tub. Put a clean white sheet in the tub and the quilt on top of it. Fill the tub up with warm water and 2 cups of white vinegar. Sit on the side of the tub with a glass of wine and a book while you squish the quilt around with your feet. Keep squishing. One more chapter of squishing. Drain and refill the tub. Squish some more until the water is perfectly clear. Let it drain overnight then lift the sheet, not the quilt, and carry it outside to a shady spot. Flatten out the sheet and quilt until dry.

If you just want to freshen it up without washing, a 50/50 mix of water and vodka in a mister then a few tumbles in the dryer will do it. You can get pretty heavy-handed with the mister, the smell dissipates quickly and completely. If there is any yellowing or age spots, a quick mist with lemon juice then some time in the sun should take care of those.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Just curious, Sugar. I haven't washed any of my quilts yet (except for one that I have that hubbie's grandmother made us as a wedding gift many years ago), but the newer ones I have were recommended to wash in extra large washer in laundromat and not put in dryer. Does that make sense? Both of my Amish quilts are for a queen bed, but really almost like a bedspread, they are so large. I was also told to hang it to dry, which is part of the reason I haven't washed one of them yet. We live in the woods and unless I want to deal with bird droppings, I can't hang it here. I have thought about taking it to my daughter's and drying it there.

Also, that quilt above is gorgeous and very much like one I have on the bed in the the grandkids' room. The colors are even pretty much the same.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:08 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 pm
Just curious, Sugar. I haven't washed any of my quilts yet (except for one that I have that hubbie's grandmother made us as a wedding gift many years ago), but the newer ones I have were recommended to wash in extra large washer in laundromat and not put in dryer. Does that make sense? Both of my Amish quilts are for a queen bed, but really almost like a bedspread, they are so large. I was also told to hang it to dry, which is part of the reason I haven't washed one of them yet. We live in the woods and unless I want to deal with bird droppings, I can't hang it here. I have thought about taking it to my daughter's and drying it there.

Also, that quilt above is gorgeous and very much like one I have on the bed in the the grandkids' room. The colors are even pretty much the same.
Never hang a wet quilt. Never, ever, ever hang a wet quilt. Anywhere. Ever. New quilt, old quilt, doesn't matter, never ever hang it. It will do more damage than just about anything else you could do to it. Wash it, twice if you don't have the super duty washer and can't get to the commercial machines at the laundromat, run the spin cycle twice to get as much water out as possible. Carry it outside on a clean sheet and lay it out flat where ever you can. Driveway, yard, whatever you have, then cover it with an additional sheet for the bird poop. I highly recommend no washing detergent (just white vinegar) and no chemical dryer sheets. If it is the first time washing it, use either Retayne or a Shout color catcher. You may not need it, but use it anyway.

Always lift the wet quilt from the bottom to support the weight of it when transferring to the sheet or dryer. It may not feel that heavy, but the pulling and tugging can damage the fibers, break the threads and shift the batting when they are at their weakest. It helps to throw a pair of clean tennis shoes, wool dryer balls or a dry towel in the dryer with is, but I'm not sure why they recommend against using the dryer unless shrinkage is an issue. Personally, I like it when they shrink a bit and get puffy looking and soft. Quilting cottons usually have a shrinkage rate of 2-3% or less, depending on if it was pre-washed.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Sit on the side of the tub with a glass of wine and a book while you squish the quilt around with your feet.
Now, that I can do.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm
Sit on the side of the tub with a glass of wine and a book while you squish the quilt around with your feet.
Now, that I can do.
It's a super power.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:11 pm
kate520 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 pm
Now, that I can do.
It's a super power.
:)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:08 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:53 pm

Never hang a wet quilt. Never, ever, ever hang a wet quilt. Anywhere. Ever. New quilt, old quilt, doesn't matter, never ever hang it. It will do more damage than just about anything else you could do to it. Wash it, twice if you don't have the super duty washer and can't get to the commercial machines at the laundromat, run the spin cycle twice to get as much water out as possible. Carry it outside on a clean sheet and lay it out flat where ever you can. Driveway, yard, whatever you have, then cover it with an additional sheet for the bird poop. I highly recommend no washing detergent (just white vinegar) and no chemical dryer sheets. If it is the first time washing it, use either Retayne or a Shout color catcher. You may not need it, but use it anyway.

Always lift the wet quilt from the bottom to support the weight of it when transferring to the sheet or dryer. It may not feel that heavy, but the pulling and tugging can damage the fibers, break the threads and shift the batting when they are at their weakest. It helps to throw a pair of clean tennis shoes, wool dryer balls or a dry towel in the dryer with is, but I'm not sure why they recommend against using the dryer unless shrinkage is an issue. Personally, I like it when they shrink a bit and get puffy looking and soft. Quilting cottons usually have a shrinkage rate of 2-3% or less, depending on if it was pre-washed.
Thank you so much for the advice. I was a little nervous about the hanging it part. That didn't make much sense and a lot of the reason I think I've been putting it off. Since I haven't seen the directions in a while, maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Your suggestion for how to dry it in the driveway is something I could do, but if I could dry it in a dryer, that would be great. And I would like it if it shrank a little! Thanks again. I can't tell you how helpful you have been!

:worship: :bighug: :-D

Return to “The Lounge”