Golf?

Chilidog

Golf?

Post by Chilidog »

I've never been a big golfer, frankly I haven't had the time to play much. But I've been finding myself dusting off the old clubs and going to the driving range lately.

The funny part is, most of my clubs are old....

I mean really old. I have several woods, two which are about 8 years old, most, however are old wood style heads. Some date back to the 60's. One from the 1920's

My irons are the second model line that Taylor Made put out in 1983.

I even have a handful of old hickory shaft clubs that I'm in the process of restoring to playable condition.

I so want to be able to whip a hickory shaft mashie-niblick out to make a shot in front of some certain people that always have to have the newest version of whatever. (The problem is that those old clubs require a style of play that can be challenging to do).

Any golfers out there?

Hackers?
John Thomas8

Re: Golf?

Post by John Thomas8 »

I've played twice. It was actually quite fun, despite the 136 average and 3 dozen lost balls.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I used to golf quite often but, after an MRI for unrelated back problems, my neurologist informed me I was risking paralysis with every swing. No more golf.

That said, when I was playing, my game was truly unimpressive. But I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Image Image Image Image
filly

Post by filly »

My husband is an avid golfer. I used to resent it when my kids were little and he'd be off golfing. Now, I encourage him to golf as much as possible (and he does). This is a great sport that many older people can engage in. Where we live in the summer he never even breaks a sweat. So, I say everyone should golf as much as they want!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Oldest grandgurl(7) is taking golf lessons and loves the game. She was inspired by her friend who was taking lessons.
:biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My father started teaching me when I was around 7 or 8. At the driving range one time, he came up behind me to adjust my stance, but didn't announce himself. Brained him with a 3 iron on my backswing.
Image Image Image Image
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

filly wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:53 am My husband is an avid golfer. I used to resent it when my kids were little and he'd be off golfing.
My 1st husband use to golf ALL the time when the kids were young, I literally called myself a golf widow. While I was running kids to basketball, soccer, scouts, bowling, school stuff, none of which he ever came to he was always golfing. Every time I passed his local golf course I enjoyed fucking with him by stopping and moving his van to the opposite side of the parking lot from where he'd parked it. He never noticed, or if he did he never said anything. He did eventually find the bumper sticker I put on it once that said, "Old Golfers Never Die, They Just Lose Their Balls". :lol: When we were stationed in Japan he and a Japanese friend use to buy orange golfballs so they could still play in the snow! :brickwallsmall:
filly

Post by filly »

MsDaisy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:27 am
filly wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:53 am My husband is an avid golfer. I used to resent it when my kids were little and he'd be off golfing.
My 1st husband use to golf ALL the time when the kids were young, I literally called myself a golf widow. While I was running kids to basketball, soccer, scouts, bowling, school stuff, none of which he ever came to he was always golfing. Every time I passed his local golf course I enjoyed fucking with him by stopping and moving his van to the opposite side of the parking lot from where he'd parked it. He never noticed, or if he did he never said anything. He did eventually find the bumper sticker I put on it once that said, "Old Golfers Never Die, They Just Lose Their Balls". :lol: When we were stationed in Japan he and a Japanese friend use to buy orange golfballs so they could still play in the snow! :brickwallsmall:
:lol: I solved that one day when hubs decided to go to the driving range after 18 holes!. Took the 18-month-old right up to the driving range, handed the baby to daddy, and left. He never did that again.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

filly wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:01 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:27 am
My 1st husband use to golf ALL the time when the kids were young, I literally called myself a golf widow.
:snippity:
:lol: I solved that one day when hubs decided to go to the driving range after 18 holes!. Took the 18-month-old right up to the driving range, handed the baby to daddy, and left. He never did that again.
:lol: :thumbsup:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

My brothers and my father have been avid golfers, though I don't know if my dad plays anymore. I played from time to time but not all that regular (and not very good though sometimes flashes of usefulness). When I lived up north I would go to a driving range more often and sometimes do the 9-hole evening rounds. Northern Lower Michigan has a bunch of good courses, and not too expensive outside of tourist season. Also, they had lovely views which made lousy rounds more tolerable.

Probably would not hurt if I pulled the out and went back to a driving range but I have no clue what it would look like.

I once had an old 5-wood head go further than the ball. I knew something went wrong when my already bad follow-through felt weird. My dad built me a new 3 and 5 after that (well, with pre-made heads and shafts of course).
101010 :towel:
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I live downtown a couple blocks from a shitty little park with a shitty little putting green. I used to run by and watch a few older respectable gentlemen putt there. Chip from the grass on occasion.

They remodeled the park and replaced it with an artificial grass putting green. I figured I should start working on becoming a respectable old man. So I got a putter and some balls. Started knocking them around.

It was kinda fun. Kinda phallic. The best part was walking to the green and back with my putter. You wanna fuck with me? I'll go full-on Jack Nicholson. Nobody fucks with a dude walking down the street wielding a big-ass putter.

Then Covid struck and the shitty little artificial grass putting green got way too crowded.

I should get back out there, work on my short game again. Figure that's the best place to start. Then I might move on to irons and woods. I hear they can really do some damage. Thanks for the reminder.
filly

Post by filly »

northland10 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:58 pm When I lived up north I would go to a driving range more often and sometimes do the 9-hole evening rounds. Northern Lower Michigan has a bunch of good courses, and not too expensive outside of tourist season. Also, they had lovely views which made lousy rounds more tolerable.
I can vouch for this. The views are stunning! There were actually too many courses and some of the went out of business. One of the most beautiful ones closed last year but there is no word on what will happen with the land. There was some talk of developing it for homes (of course!) but there are no utilities etc. While it seems a shame that such a glorious property was restricted to golfers I think it would be a shame if it were restricted to even richer people who would buy million dollar homes.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They recently turned a lovely old closed golf course over to the city here. It makes a lovely city park.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We had a country club with a golf course in the middle of town here. When it closed down they turned it into one of those mixed use things and preserved a lot of the green space. It took them years and years to do it, and it probably won't last as long as a development as it took to get it from abandoned country club to the first people moving in.

Return to “General Stuff”