Crypto - Bitcoin XRP ETH DarkMoon NFTs

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

FiveAcres wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:01 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... -arrested/
Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder of the collapsed cryptocurrency exchange FTX, was arrested Monday in the Bahamas after U.S. prosecutors filed an indictment against him.

“Bahamian authorities arrested Samuel Bankman-Fried at the request of the U.S. Government,” U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said in a statement. “We expect to move to unseal the indictment in the morning and will have more to say at that time.”

FTX and Bankman-Fried have been under investigation by U.S. law enforcement agencies after his company imploded in November, losing billions of dollars of its customers’ money. He was slated to testify in front of the House Financial Services Committee Tuesday.
The Government has been informed that The Bahamas notified the United States earlier
today that The Bahamas did not intend to extradite the defendant on the campaign contributions
count. Accordingly, in keeping with its treaty obligations to The Bahamas, the Government does
not intend to proceed to trial on the campaign contributions count.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .181.0.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Somebody tell me why this isn't bullshit. Please. What is he still facing?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:12 pm Somebody tell me why this isn't bullshit. Please. What is he still facing?
Exradiction treaties often specify that a certain cause must be persecutable in both countries to be acceptable. Bahama seems to lack same wording in their criminal code. Much like Assange is depending on what the Brits will consider persecutable in his case. Or Switzerland where tax fraud in the US is often only considered legal tax evasion.

Prosecutors drop another charge against FTX co-founder Sam Bankman-Fried

PUBLISHED THU, JUL 27 202310:11 AM EDTUPDATED THU, JUL 27 20232:13 PM EDT
Rohan Goswami

KEY POINTS
  • Federal prosecutors told a Manhattan judge they wouldn’t pursue a campaign finance charge against FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried.
    It’s the second time Manhattan prosecutors have had to forgo charging the billionaire, who is accused of precipitating the collapse of his crypto exchange through a multibillion-dollar fraud.
    Bankman-Fried still faces multiple wire and securities fraud charges.
Federal prosecutors dropped a campaign finance charge against Sam Bankman-Fried, the second time they have narrowed the indictment against the founder of crypto exchange FTX

Prosecutors told Judge Lewis Kaplan on Wednesday that they were dropping the charge of conspiracy to make unlawful campaign contributions because they had failed to obtain permission from the government of the Bahamas for that charge when Bankman-Fried was extradited from the island nation in December.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan previously dropped another charge against him, for violating anti-bribery statutes, on the same grounds.

The moves narrow the criminal exposure of the former billionaire, who prosecutors allege conspired to defraud investors and customers out of billions. The alleged scheme precipitated the collapse of Bankman-Fried’s FTX and sent shockwaves throughout the crypto industry.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/27/prosecu ... fried.html
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

F*cked around and found out.

Inner City Press
@innercitypress
Judge Kaplan: He subscribed from the Bahamas and used a VPN as if he were in the Bahamas when he was in Palo Alto and could have watched it on public TV. It shows the mindset. All things considered I am going to revoke bail.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Aussie nutjob stealing bitcoin deposits at an amazing rate:

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Why does Bryan's modus operandi remind me of some, no... ALL of the deadhead right wing politicians in America?

"I'm a billionaire perfect telephone call maker... send money"

"I'm on TV every night and the woke deep state has cancelled me! Send Money"

"Buy my pillow's (or slippers, or towels, or...) that are crappy and I've inflated the price 500% but use this code and save 10%. And don't forget to send money or I won't be able to release the proof that there is fraud going on. Send money!"
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

keith wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:01 am Why does Bryan's modus operandi remind me of some, no... ALL of the deadhead right wing politicians in America?
Branched from the same community? Crypto is a culture, and it tends to be pretty right wing libertarian.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

If you were curious about what Scaramucci has been doing with himself...

https://web3isgoinggreat.com/?id=killer ... ality-show
September 15, 2023

Killer Whales crypto reality show launches about two years too late

Maybe they'd sunk too much money into producing Killer Whales to back out, or maybe its creators actually think that a Shark Tank-style crypto reality TV series is what it will take to return crypto to its former glory. A crypto-boosting show judged by crypto industry hustlers like Anthony "The Mooch" Scaramucci and shady operator Mario Nawfal has just published trailers for its scheduled January 2024 debut.

The trailer for the show features a duo pitching "Ape Water": Bored Ape-branded canned water that sells for $2.80/can. "We want to reimagine water... When you scan the can, that's when crypto and web3 is unlocked," says the booster. Revolutionary.

Even crypto Twitter seemed less than enthused, with one person writing that the show was "like Shark Tank, but cringe". Another wrote, "Just take a peep at the panel of judges it's full of crypto grifters and scammers".
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Total cringe.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:15 am Total cringe.
https://youtu.be/CRGKA-ElyU4
Founded by Paul Caslin, the Grammy-nominated Creative Director of the MTV VMA‘s,
Why do I wanna take advice from this asshole? It pisses me off when people try to use their celeb status to dupe average citizens into buying into crypto -- no matter how they try to dress it up as cryptotainment or games or exclusive films or whatever. It is all junk.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:57 am Why do I wanna take advice from this asshole? It pisses me off when people try to use their celeb status to dupe average citizens into buying into crypto -- no matter how they try to dress it up as cryptotainment or games or exclusive films or whatever. It is all junk.
I think the celebs are just as duped as the target audience is. How many Hollywood folks got ripped off by Bernie Madoff?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So, some actual live sample of this Revolutionary* idea* and a sample of this entertainment*. At least you get to see a few seconds of the Mooch.

*giggle
Hic sunt dracones
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Not sure this is the right topic, but oh, well.

Jesus, these Bankmans and Fried’s are entitled:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/19/busi ... =url-share
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:57 am Why do I wanna take advice from this asshole? It pisses me off when people try to use their celeb status to dupe average citizens into buying into crypto -- no matter how they try to dress it up as cryptotainment or games or exclusive films or whatever. It is all junk.
It tends to be well paying junk though. When various crypto scams unravel, the biggest operating expense tends to be how much money flowed to influencers to bring in marks. From a celebrity's perspective, it is just like doing any other endorsement, only more lucrative.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neeneko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:24 pm
It tends to be well paying junk though. When various crypto scams unravel, the biggest operating expense tends to be how much money flowed to influencers to bring in marks. From a celebrity's perspective, it is just like doing any other endorsement, only more lucrative.
Except when the celebrity is not involved in any way other than having their image used without permission.

I used to get countless crypto ads using Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith illegally. I'd report the ad, and it would come back almost immediate with barely changed text to avoid detection. Sometimes they would just replace an English letter with a similar Portuguese letter (an 'e' with a cedilla for example) to sneak it through.

Dunno if Smith ever got wind of it, but they eventually changed the celebrity picture (I seem to remember Hugh Jackman) and kept going.

Haven't seen them for a while though.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:22 pm Except when the celebrity is not involved in any way other than having their image used without permission.
Yeah, there is a lot of that too. The whole 'code is law' ethos really attracted a bunch of 'if I can do it, and it makes money, it is ok' people.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neeneko wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:24 pm
Ryan Paul, please pick up the gold plated telephone... Ryan Paul.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-03/ ... /102925444

The liquidator of one of Australia's first failed cryptocurrency exchanges, Blockchain Global entity ACX.io, has reported one former and two current directors to the corporate watchdog ASIC for potential breaches of the Corporations Act.

Key points:

More than $50 million is owed to creditors after Blockchain Global collapsed
Liquidator Andrew Yeo's report outlines the potential misuse of customers' funds
Bruno Fabre's claim for money owed to him by the exchange is $100,000
The regulator has told 7.30 it will only take action on those reports where there is sufficient evidence.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The post above was reported as being supportive of crypto.

Maybe it is, but it doesn't seem to push any particular product. If it had been any closer to warez, I would have disapproved the post and deleted the member. It is an odd first post.

But I decided to approve just the one post, and keep a sharp eye on Cameron. He still needs two more approved posts before being a full member here. I kinda wanted to see where he was going with it. Don't worry, we're not having ads for anything - including crypto - any time soon.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 am Don't worry, we're not having ads for anything - including crypto - any time soon.
:biggrin: Except Orlylicious pumping Mike Pillow's cut-price slippers! ;)
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:08 pm Not sure this is the right topic, but oh, well.

Jesus, these Bankmans and Fried’s are entitled:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/19/busi ... =url-share
They are super annoying.
I've been following the SBF case fairly closely. It certainly zoomed faster from indictment to trial than any trumpworld stuff has, so there's that.
But - tomorrow, Sam is supposed to take the stand himself. Should be interesting. I follow @innercitypress for live tweeting. Sam seems like a thoroughly unlikable fellow (unless he deems you an equal or a celebrity). He doesn't seem to have a very good case, esp with his top folks taking a deal and testifying to the wrongdoing.

I ran across this little article today that provides a chuckle in a very serious situation - the extensive use of "millenial vocabulary" among the main players at FTX/Alameda.
https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/25/239 ... uff-things
or
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “Economy”