TESLA and Elon Musk - anything not elsewhere

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

What would the clear coat be made of?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:49 pm What would the clear coat be made of?
I've always heard Unobtainium works best but due to the recent shortages Ardtodetium seems to be a fine substitute.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:49 pm What would the clear coat be made of?
Something like this? https://everbrite.co.nz/stop-stainless-steel-rusting/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

qbawl wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:58 pm
I've always heard Unobtainium works best but due to the recent shortages Ardtodetium seems to be a fine substitute.
:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:17 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:15 pm I thought stainless steel was impermeable to, well, stains, and rust, like stainless steel place settings. :confuzzled:
There are many formulations of stainless steel. Some are more "stainless" than others.
Sort of like all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. It seems appropriate for Musk who believes himself more equal than others.
101010 :towel:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

northland10 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:28 am It seems appropriate for Musk who believes himself more equal than others.
Musk is the most equal of all! Nobody is as equal as him! :biggrin:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Elon Musk steps in after California bakery jolted by cancelled Tesla order
A Tesla employee ordered 2,000 mini pies from San Jose’s Giving Pies, only to later cancel the $6,000 order from the small bakery

Gloria Oladipo
Sat 24 Feb 2024 16.35 CET

Billionaire Elon Musk has promised to “make things good” with a California bakery after his company backed out of a pie order that cost the owner thousands of dollars.

“Just hearing about this. Will make things good with the bakery,” Musk said on X (formerly Twitter) in response to a story about the cancelled order.

Musk’s company Telsa ditched an order for 4,000 mini pies from Giving Pies, a Black-owned bakery in San Jose, in central California.

Owner Voahangy Rasetarinera told KRON-TV that her bakery received a last-minute order for 2,000 pies from Tesla on Valentine’s Day – a $6,000 catch for the small business, KTVU reported.

While Rasetarinera has previously worked on large catering orders with other tech companies, she said that she had to chase Tesla several times about payment for the order, money needed to secure ingredients and pay her staff.

On Thursday evening, a Tesla representative named Laura contacted Rasetarinera and apologized about the delayed payment. Laura also upped the order to 4,000 pies, assuring Rasetarinera that money was not an issue.

Rasetarinera said that she and her team had worked overtime to pull off the mega order. But Tesla never responded to several invoices sent from the pie company for payment.

Instead, on Friday, Laura messaged Rasetarinera, letting her know that the order was no longer needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... esla-order
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

GHIuLKXWsAAGGX9.jpeg
GHIuLKXWsAAGGX9.jpeg (294.83 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

Rules for thee, but not for me.
Hey, Dave! @davegreenidge57 wrote: Here’s Elon Musk’s brother outing them as being in the US illegally when they started their first business in California and applying for bank loans. Elon, then, nervously interrupts. He explains their immigration status at the time as a “grey area”. #ApartheidCylde
🐶 Earl of FrunkPuppy @28delayslater wrote: "We were illegal immigrants"
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

What happens when you rear end a cyber truck.
► Show Spoiler
https://www.reddit.com/r/cybertruck/s/gwKzHNrTwU
tek

Post by tek »

I bet the pickup will be cheaper to repair than the cybertruck..
raison de arizona

Not only cheaper, but I'll bet the Cybertruck owner waits a LOT longer for parts.

Regarding the new roadster...

Teslaconomics @Teslaconomics wrote: Here are all the nuggets Elon just dropped about the new Tesla Roadster tonight on 𝕏 👀

1/ Tesla radically increased the design goals of this product

2/ There will NEVER be another car like it, if you could even call it a car

3/ 0-60mph <1 second, the least interesting part

4/ It may fly a little

5/ Tesla & SpaceX will collaborate

6/ Production design is complete

7/ It will be unveiled end of this year

8/ Aiming to ship it next year

9/ It will be a rocket on wheels

10/ It has a shot at being the most mind-blowing demo of all time
"It will be unveiled end of this year"= this means closer to 2030, I suspect. :lol:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Lawyers who had Elon Musk’s pay dismissed as excessive seek $6bn in Tesla shares
Three firms that represented a Tesla shareholder seek record fee from the electric vehicle maker because they benefited from the return of Musk’s stock options

Reuters
Sat 2 Mar 2024 06.05 CET

The lawyers who successfully argued that Elon Musk’s $56bn pay package was excessive are seeking a record legal fee worth $6bn, payable in the electric car maker’s stock, according to a court filing.

“We recognise that the requested fee is unprecedented in terms of absolute size,” Friday’s filing by the three law firms with the court of chancery in Delaware said.

The fee works out to an hourly rate of $288,888, according to the filing.

The electric vehicle maker is being asked to pay the fee because it benefited from the return of Musk’s pay package, which the legal team said will result in the return to the carmaker of 266m shares.

“This structure has the benefit of linking the award directly to the benefit created and avoids taking even one cent from the Tesla balance sheet to pay fees,” the shareholder legal team said, noting the fee was also tax-deductible to Tesla.

The fee is being sought by attorneys who represented Richard Tornetta, a Tesla shareholder who sued Musk in 2018 over the pay package, which a Delaware judge nixed in January.

The three law firms are Bernstein Litowitz Berger & Grossmann and Friedman Oster & Tejtel, both based in New York, and Andrews & Springer of Wilmington.

The fee request must be approved by Kathaleen McCormick, the judge overseeing the case. She called Musk’s pay “unfathomable” in her January ruling.

Tesla, Musk’s attorney and Musk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company may object to the fee, as it has a fee request in a similar case over the pay for its directors.

The largest settlements in shareholder cases occur in federal court, where the biggest fee was $688m in 2008 for the legal team that obtained a $7.2bn settlement in a securities fraud case over the failure of Enron Corp.

The Tesla fee request comes as the Delaware supreme court is considering an appeal against a $267m fee in a case that settled for $1bn involving Dell Technologies.

Delaware judges have said that pursuing cases deep into litigation, through depositions and toward trial, should get a higher percentage of the recovery to reflect the risk and effort. The Musk pay case went to a one-week trial.

Opponents of this approach argued that as settlements and judgments grow in size, attorneys should collect a declining percentage to avoid overcompensation.

The legal team said the requested fee worked out to about 11% of the judgment.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... sla-shares
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Elon Musk sues OpenAI accusing it of putting profit before humanity
Lawsuit says chief executive Sam Altman’s deal with Microsoft has broken organisation’s mission

Dan Milmo Global technology editor
Fri 1 Mar 2024 17.10 CET

Elon Musk has filed a lawsuit accusing OpenAI and its chief executive, Sam Altman, of betraying its foundational mission by putting the pursuit of profit ahead of the benefit of humanity.

The world’s richest man, a founding board member of the artificial intelligence company behind ChatGPT, claimed Altman had “set aflame” OpenAI’s founding agreement by signing an investment deal with Microsoft.

The lawsuit, filed in San Francisco on Thursday, claims OpenAI is now developing artificial general intelligence (AGI) – a theoretical form of AI that can perform a range of tasks at or above a human level of intelligence – for profit rather than for the benefit of humankind.

“OpenAI Inc has been transformed into a closed-source, de facto subsidiary of the largest technology company in the world: Microsoft. Under its new board, it is not just developing but is actually refining an AGI to maximise profits for Microsoft, rather than for the benefit of humanity,” the lawsuit alleges.

The suit opens with Musk’s often-stated warning that AGI poses “a grave threat to humanity”.

“Where some like Mr Musk see an existential threat in AGI, others see AGI as a source of profit and power,” said the lawsuit, adding that in the hands of for-profit companies such as Google, AGI poses a “particularly acute and noxious danger to humanity”.

Musk and other tech experts are concerned that an AGI could evade human control and take actions that endanger the planet.

The suit claims Altman purported to share Musk’s concerns over AGI and in 2015 proposed forming a non-profit AI lab that would be “the opposite of Google”, now known as OpenAI. Together with Greg Brockman, OpenAI’s president, who is also being sued by Musk, the three men agreed to create a lab whose principles would be enshrined in a founding agreement.

The lab would be “for the benefit of humanity”, would be a not-for-profit company and would be open-source, the term for making the technology freely available.

The lawsuit claims that Musk, who stepped away from OpenAI in 2018, was a “moving force” behind the creation of OpenAI and supplied a majority of its funding in its early years. Microsoft is now the biggest investor in OpenAI’s profit-making arm, which Altman runs, after a deal struck in 2020.

The lawsuit claims that OpenAI, Altman and Brockman “set the founding agreement aflame” in 2023 after releasing GPT-4, the powerful model that underpins OpenAI’s ChatGPT chatbot. GPT-4’s design was kept secret and such behaviour showed a radical departure from OpenAI’s original mission, the lawsuit said.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... sam-altman
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:38 am Elon Musk has filed a lawsuit accusing OpenAI and its chief executive, Sam Altman, of betraying its foundational mission by putting the pursuit of profit ahead of the benefit of humanity.
Irony is dead, buried, and rotted away.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Jeez, pot meet kettle doesn't begin to cover this.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:26 am Jeez, pot meet kettle doesn't begin to cover this.
The pot calling the crystal vase black perhaps is appropriate....? :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:16 pm I missed where those people live, but as a Florida resident, I can tell you there’s no such thing as rust proof stainless steel. Am I right, fellow Floridians?
Yep I've lived near the Gulf my whole life. When you're actually at the beach (esp back in the olden days when I could drive my car ON the actual beach; ah, the 70s), the first thing you do is get to the car wash and spray it. We have a lake cabin on a spring-fed lake (awesome clear water), and we occasionally see boats from the coast put in and drive around to rinse everything off.

Was the Delorean clear coated? I don't recall hearing rust problems with them, but I'm not super tuned into that world.

Last: I saw somewhere that McConnell's sis in law was in Tesla that drove into a pond and there's speculation it was in self drive mode (or whatever it's called). And something about no tracks in the area that indicated she tried to stop or slow the car. :|
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Rolodex wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:54 pm :snippity:

Was the Delorean clear coated? I don't recall hearing rust problems with them, but I'm not super tuned into that world.

:snippity:
No it wasn't [my uncle Ray still owns one]

However it's body was made from 304 stainless steel one of the most corrosion resistant steels made, I know it well because it is used in commercial aircraft a lot because of such corrosion resistance...

Not sure what cheap [expletive deleted] that Elmo made his truck out of...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Ah. So there's stainless steel and there's stainless steel. I had no idea! thanks for the info!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:04 pm
Rolodex wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:54 pm :snippity:

:snippity:
No it wasn't [my uncle Ray still owns one]

However it's body was made from 304 stainless steel one of the most corrosion resistant steels made, I know it well because it is used in commercial aircraft a lot because of such corrosion resistance...

Not sure what cheap [expletive deleted] that Elmo made his truck out of...
The water plant where I spend a lot of my working hours eats 304 SS for breakfast. We add lime dust to our water, but there's an issue with the way the dust is delivered that causes it to coat every surface in a fine white powder. Lime is very corrosive and has an exothermic reaction with water. I've seen people gets burns because they were sweating too much and brushed against lime dust. We ended up going with 316 SS because it actually lasts longer than 5 years in that environment.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Back in my semiconductor days it was 304 for exhausts & vacuum (almost always passivated or electropolished for exhausts) and 316 for process gasses (always internally electropolished, externally for the nasty stuff)

An electropolished, 316L Delorean would be a sight.

An electropolished, 316L Cyber Truck would still be a polished turd.
Image Image Image Image
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

All I want is a nice set of kitchen kives that don't rust after one year (and, yes, Hubs bought me an expensive set and they rusted just as quickly as the set from Walmart.)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:24 pm All I want is a nice set of kitchen kives that don't rust after one year (and, yes, Hubs bought me an expensive set and they rusted just as quickly as the set from Walmart.)
Globals, baby! I've had my set for about 12 years now. Not a spot of rust, minimal honing, only had to have them sharpened once, best set of knives I've ever owned.
Estiveo_20240302_115641.jpg
Estiveo_20240302_115641.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Image Image Image Image
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Rolodex wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:54 pm Last: I saw somewhere that McConnell's sis in law was in Tesla that drove into a pond and there's speculation it was in self drive mode (or whatever it's called). And something about no tracks in the area that indicated she tried to stop or slow the car. :|
Today there has been a flurry of news stories claiming that Angela Chao's death is under "criminal investigation," but not providing any further information. The sources are the Daily Mail, the NY Post, Fox News, and the like, so :shrug:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”