Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Since it is on campus, they probably are required to offer the tickets to students first. The in-house ticketing system will tie a reservation to a student ID number.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:52 pm Newsweek: [url=https://www.newsweek.com/kyle-rittenhou ... sa-1881720]Kyle Rittenhouse Storms Off
"We had thousands of people who wanted to come to this event who were unable to because of the ticketing change done in the name of 'fairness and equity,' but the school's complicity in empowering bad faith agitators is why Mr. Rittenhouse spoke to a room of protesters."
Thousands? KR is uneducated, uninformed, and uncharismatic, famous mainly for killing and maiming and getting away with it. If he had ideas and the charisma to sell them, or even a decent story, and were in the right place, hundreds, well, dozens might have shown up. But I doubt thousands would show up to hear 30 minutes of nothing from a nobody. Yeah, it's Kirk pretending to be an alpha male again.

In a fit of masochism, I watched KR's entire gear commercial, and it was painful and awkward and unconvincing. If you're going to shill for that kind of gear, you need to be fit, sharp, and authentically enthused not just about the gear but what it's used for (what the frack is it used for? To back up the A-Team if your neighbor takes a rock star hostage?). He sounded like someone looking through the kitchen junk drawer to find a miscellaneous screwdriver or something.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:19 pm
:snippity:

"Credible information" is the new "major award." :roll:
Give the man a leg lamp.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

noblepa wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:38 pm
bob wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:19 pm
:snippity:

"Credible information" is the new "major award." :roll:

Give the man a leg lamp.
It’s pronounced cred-eee-blay.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“school administrators have leaked the new ticketing information to protester groups”

They told kids how to get tickets. Good grief, the humanity!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 pm “school administrators have leaked the new ticketing information to protester groups”

Yes. The best way to sell as many tickets to an event as possible, perhaps even sell out, is to keep the ticketing info secret.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 pm “school administrators have leaked the new ticketing information to protester groups”

To be fair, he is probably complaining that the tickets were publicized and sold to on-campus students before they were available to the general public.

OTOH, for an on-campus event, sponsored by an on-campus student organization, this seems perfectly reasonable. Universities are normally in the business of providing educational and culturally enriching events for the benefit of students, not so much the general public.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

My read is there was a secondary goal of raising Rittenhouse's public credibility by association. He was asked to speak at a university as if he was a subject matter expert worth the time investment to listen to.

Basically I imagine it was planned a win-win for TPUSA. If his appearance sparks controversy, he gets press time as a martyr for the cause once again. That's good for the grifting. OTOH, if his appearance goes well, it becomes a net positive for his resume, and they can parlay that for future events.

The absolute worst thing that could have happened to him was no one attended his lecture, that no controversies emerged, and he fizzled into a big yawn. Apathy rather than antipathy would have spelled his doom.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:47 am My read is there was a secondary goal of raising Rittenhouse's public credibility by association. He was asked to speak at a university as if he was a subject matter expert worth the time investment to listen to.

Basically I imagine it was planned a win-win for TPUSA. If his appearance sparks controversy, he gets press time as a martyr for the cause once again. That's good for the grifting. OTOH, if his appearance goes well, it becomes a net positive for his resume, and they can parlay that for future events.

The absolute worst thing that could have happened to him was no one attended his lecture, that no controversies emerged, and he fizzled into a big yawn. Apathy rather than antipathy would have spelled his doom.
:winner:

But it was good to see him flounce off with his “security team.” He is a yawn.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Baidn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:30 pm This went even better than I hoped :popcorn: I wonder if his fawning defender will talk about how rude they were?
Is that me? I'm an old school let-the-Nazis-march-in-Skokie free speecher. I've been against shouting down, no-platforming, disrupting as tactics against speakers on campuses since before the Rittenhouse case. Tactically it's ineffective because it gives your opponents even more attention and lets them claim the mantle of free-speech martyr. But intellectually, I think it is just wrong, antithetical to the mission of a University in fostering the exchange of ideas, including ideas which may be unpopular or challenge a consensus. I believe pretty strongly in fostering a culture of civil debate.

So the person asking about Charlie Kirk's statements asked a perfectly fair question in a reasonable way, one which KR was not prepared to answer. But the crowd reaction, and other clips I've seen, suggest the raucous hostile elements made it essentially impossible for him to deliver any message in an orderly manner. Earlier there was a big ostentatious walkout, another questioner who walked around shouting, and also very rowdy protestors chasing and harassing people outside the event (e.g. spitting on cars). But I haven't seen a full video of the event, just clips, and clips can be misleading.

I think this disruptive behavior is not to be admired for almost any cause. It shows closed-mindedness. If they were simply open to engaging they might possibly have learned something about how their understanding of what happened in Kenosha is misinformed.

I think Rittenhouse is very dumb -- don't believe I've ever "fawned" over him -- but he did have a remarkable experience. Insofar as he is talking about his personal story I think it could potentially be of interest to someone willing to listen. Others are free to just stay away, or protest peacefully outside the hall.

In fairness I think it was very poor decision for TPUSA to advertise the topic as "the importance of the Second Amendment and the lies of BLM", a willful provocation. KR alienated some right-wingers when he told Tucker Carlson he supported Black Lives Matter. His actions that night in Kenosha confirm he was not hostile to BLM protestors (his fantasy was that they would see him as a helpful medic, he announced himself "friendly, friendly, friendly" when roaming in search of takers, and he's on video starting to give aid to one injured protestor, though the protestor ultimately left, carried off on another's back) He would have been in conflict with rioters who wanted to destroy property. But not protestors. It's a shame he let that go by; he has been letting himself be used.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Those in the auditorium were lucky that killer Kyle wasn’t armed when he got scared and instead ran away…
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Dave from down under wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:15 am Those in the auditorium were lucky that killer Kyle wasn’t armed when he got scared and instead ran away…
And dragged his poor dog with him.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Yeah. I saw a reference to his comfort companion. It's another confirmation he has unresolved personal security issues. He should just get out of the spotlight and stay out before the system chews him and spits him out.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The "oh my time was up" line is obvious BS. If it was he would have said "Ok everyone. That's it from me. Thank you for coming etc etc." Instead he grabbed the "Big Man's Dog" lead and practically dragged it off the stage.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Neither here nor there, but I was reading that the school had a problem with Rittenhouse’s emotional support dog and that they made him jump through hoops to keep it with him for the event.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Is it a verified support dog or a dog with a special vest?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:26 am Neither here nor there, but I was reading that the school had a problem with Rittenhouse’s emotional support dog and that they made him jump through hoops to keep it with him for the event.
There were actually 2 dogs on stage. Not sure who the German shepherd looking one belonged to or why it was there.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bill_g wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:56 am Yeah. I saw a reference to his comfort companion. It's another confirmation he has unresolved personal security issues. He should just get out of the spotlight and stay out before the system chews him and spits him out.
Or, before he does something really, really stupid again, gets in trouble and, this time, doesn't walk away.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:52 am Is it a verified support dog or a dog with a special vest?
Around this trigger happy guy doggy was surely equipped with the best bullet proof vest money can buy :twisted:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:52 am Is it a verified support dog or a dog with a special vest?
The only info I found is that Milo is a supposedly a PTSD support dog. I guess the killer's PTSD gets triggered often.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:35 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:26 am Neither here nor there, but I was reading that the school had a problem with Rittenhouse’s emotional support dog and that they made him jump through hoops to keep it with him for the event.
There were actually 2 dogs on stage. Not sure who the German shepherd looking one belonged to or why it was there.
I can’t put my finger on the article now, but I read that the shepherd was an actual working dog that one of Rittenhouse’s handlers used to perform a “security sweep” of the venue.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The dog suffers from PTSD?

Was the cause being owned by Killer Kyle?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:45 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:35 pm
I can’t put my finger on the article now, but I read that the shepherd was an actual working dog that one of Rittenhouse’s handlers used to perform a “security sweep” of the venue.
A lot of people these days call their pet an "emotional support animal". The dog has no special training or certification from any recognized organization.

Just because a pet makes you feel better and relieves some anxiety, does not mean that he/she is a valid support animal.

I volunteer for a scenic railroad, as a trainman and conductor assistant. Our policy is that only dogs (no other animals) and only those that are certified by some organization, such as the Society for The Blind, are permitted to ride the train. The kicker is that we are allowed to ask if the dog is a support animal, but we are not allowed to ask for proof. Go figure.

I'm told that, before I started volunteering, some guy came to ride the train, and wanted to bring his emotional support duck aboard. His request was denied.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya it got in fashion a few years ago to call everything and emotional support animal. What seems to have gotten everyone yelling "ENOUGH!" was when a story went viral of a Woman trying to bring her emotional support Peacock onto a plane.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42880690
A female traveller was recently banned from taking a large "emotional-support peacock" on board a United Airlines flight, it has emerged.

She had offered to buy the bird its own plane ticket, according to travel blog Live and Let Fly.

Nonetheless the airline refused to let the bird board at Newark airport in New Jersey, saying it did not meet guidelines due to its weight and size.

United says this was explained to the traveller before she arrived at Newark.

Pictures of the striking bird and its owner, attempting to travel to Los Angeles, emerged via The Jet Set, a travel-based talk show.

The images show the animal perched on an airport baggage trolley, as fellow passengers gaze at it in shock.

After six hours at the airport, the exotic bird and its human companions decided to take to the road and instead drive across the US.

Real emotional support animals are highly trained, and don't allow people to pet them.
Hic sunt dracones
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

andersweinstein wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:28 am
Baidn wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:30 pm This went even better than I hoped :popcorn: I wonder if his fawning defender will talk about how rude they were?
Is that me? I'm an old school let-the-Nazis-march-in-Skokie free speecher. I've been against shouting down, no-platforming, disrupting as tactics against speakers on campuses since before the Rittenhouse case. Tactically it's ineffective because it gives your opponents even more attention and lets them claim the mantle of free-speech martyr. But intellectually, I think it is just wrong, antithetical to the mission of a University in fostering the exchange of ideas, including ideas which may be unpopular or challenge a consensus. I believe pretty strongly in fostering a culture of civil debate.

So the person asking about Charlie Kirk's statements asked a perfectly fair question in a reasonable way, one which KR was not prepared to answer. But the crowd reaction, and other clips I've seen, suggest the raucous hostile elements made it essentially impossible for him to deliver any message in an orderly manner. Earlier there was a big ostentatious walkout, another questioner who walked around shouting, and also very rowdy protestors chasing and harassing people outside the event (e.g. spitting on cars). But I haven't seen a full video of the event, just clips, and clips can be misleading.

I think this disruptive behavior is not to be admired for almost any cause. It shows closed-mindedness. If they were simply open to engaging they might possibly have learned something about how their understanding of what happened in Kenosha is misinformed.

I think Rittenhouse is very dumb -- don't believe I've ever "fawned" over him -- but he did have a remarkable experience. Insofar as he is talking about his personal story I think it could potentially be of interest to someone willing to listen. Others are free to just stay away, or protest peacefully outside the hall.

In fairness I think it was very poor decision for TPUSA to advertise the topic as "the importance of the Second Amendment and the lies of BLM", a willful provocation. KR alienated some right-wingers when he told Tucker Carlson he supported Black Lives Matter. His actions that night in Kenosha confirm he was not hostile to BLM protestors (his fantasy was that they would see him as a helpful medic, he announced himself "friendly, friendly, friendly" when roaming in search of takers, and he's on video starting to give aid to one injured protestor, though the protestor ultimately left, carried off on another's back) He would have been in conflict with rioters who wanted to destroy property. But not protestors. It's a shame he let that go by; he has been letting himself be used.
of course you would show up once again for killer kyles defense like clockwork

Return to “Other weirdos”