Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Borders are not a natural thing. The Native Americans kind of had that one right, that we don't really have the right to say "this is mine" about things that are bigger than us and will outlive us.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:34 pm I don't to wait. I want them to burn now!
Ditto.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Feds are threatening to sue regarding the Rio Grande barrier if it's not removed by Monday afternoon.

The letter: https://www.washingtonpost.com/document ... 0f416c.pdf
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Bring it on. :boxing:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

First, I think the contact details for Mr. Littleton should have been redacted. Is this a 'doxing' attempt? Is it intended that he be flooded with crap so that the Texas reply can be lost in the shuffle and they can whine about it later when the Army moves in to dismantle this abomination?

Second, I'm surprised but glad that the DOJ Environment division reads Fogbow and accepted my arguments about why this crap cannot be allowed to stand :whistle:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Keith - Just admit it that you drafted this letter..
raison de arizona

‘We Will See You in Court, Mr. President’: Texas Governor Readies for Battle With DOJ over Rio Grande ‘Floating Barrier’

The Department of Justice plans to sue Texas over the state’s construction of floating devices in the Rio Grande River intended to obstruct the path of illegal migrants from easily entering the country from the Southern border.
:snippity:
“Texas has the sovereign authority to defend our border, under the U.S. Constitution and the Texas Constitution,” the governor tweeted on Friday following the news. “We have sent the Biden Administration numerous letters detailing our authority, including the one I hand-delivered to President Biden earlier this year.”

“The tragic humanitarian crisis on the border was created because of Biden’s refusal to secure the border. His open border policies encourage migrants to risk their lives crossing illegally through the Rio Grande, instead of safely and legally over a bridge.”

“Texas is stepping up to address this crisis. We will continue to deploy every strategy to protect Texans and Americans — and the migrants risking their lives. We will see you in court, Mr. President.”
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/we- ... g-barrier/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

What are these "open border policies"? I don't think I've seen an example. Do "open border policies" help catch all that fentanyl?
raison de arizona

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:56 pm
‘We Will See You in Court, Mr. President’: Texas Governor Readies for Battle With DOJ over Rio Grande ‘Floating Barrier’

“Texas has the sovereign authority to defend our border, under the U.S. Constitution and the Texas Constitution,” the governor tweeted on Friday following the news. “We have sent the Biden Administration numerous letters detailing our authority, including the one I hand-delivered to President Biden earlier this year.”
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/we- ... g-barrier/
Now, IANAL, of course, but if I'm understanding their argument, it comes down to the fact that the U.S. Constitution says that the Federal Government shall secure the borders against invasion, and because *they* consider illegal immigration to meet the definition of an invasion and because *they* consider the Federales to have failed to secure the border, somehow magically they gain the sovereign power to do so? Am I missing some actual logic or evidence here or is there simply none?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dave from down under

That's about it.. Abbot ruler of the universe..
bob

Post by bob »

If Abbott were smart, he'll file first, seeking declaratory relief, in the anti-immigration judge's courthouse.
Image ImageImage
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:09 pm What are these "open border policies"? I don't think I've seen an example. Do "open border policies" help catch all that fentanyl?
That started a border crisis on or after January 21, 2021. Because not a single dirty foreigner ever snuck in before that.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Why did 2019 have the record number for Border Crossings up to that time then? :think:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Deep State undermined the Great Chinese Wall inspiration, protection against the hordes of the north south ...
raison de arizona

Stephanie Kennedy @WordswithSteph wrote: Revolting report from the Houston Chronicle: Brace for the BOMBSHELL.

To stop migrants from crossing the border, Gov. Greg Abbott has resorted to truly barbaric measures, issuing INHUMANE directives with very specific targets: Texas troopers have been ordered to push small children (including infant babies) into the Rio Grande, and refuse water to asylum seekers — in extreme heat.

According to the Houston Chronicle, an unnamed Department of Public Safety trooper sent an email to superiors in which critical concerns were raised, including the following dire warning: “I believe we have stepped over a line into the inhumane."

The alarmed trooper wrote of miles of “traps" of razor wire-wrapped barrels that have been set in the river in Eagle Pass to keep migrants from reaching land, but ultimately increase risks of death by drowning. The trooper reported the case of a mother and her two children who drowned earlier this month due solely to the razor-wrapped barrel traps. In another horrifying case, a pregnant woman was simultaneously miscarrying and bleeding out as she was trapped in the razor wire.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Isn't creating hazards that result in death illegal? I got in trouble for one of my gutters hanging oddly, 20 feet from the property line, over a structure, because it was 'dangerous'. If Abbott is creating hazards that are killing people, there really should be some jail time in his future.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neeneko wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:30 pm Isn't creating hazards that result in death illegal? I got in trouble for one of my gutters hanging oddly, 20 feet from the property line, over a structure, because it was 'dangerous'. If Abbott is creating hazards that are killing people, there really should be some jail time in his future.
And the people who are "just following orders."
Dave from down under

Individuals who endanger people can be arrested

Politicians who endanger people can be re-elected
raison de arizona

Abbott is sued.
Justice Department sues to force Texas to remove floating barriers in Rio Grande

The US Department of Justice is suing the state of Texas over its use of floating barriers in the Rio Grande, which Gov. Greg Abbott has argued is intended to deter migrants from crossing into the state from Mexico.

The Justice Department is seeking an injunction to bar Texas from building additional barriers in the river and asking a court to order the state to take the existing barriers down at its own expense.

In the lawsuit, filed in the US District Court in the Western District of Texas, the department alleges that Texas and Abbott, a Republican, violated the Rivers and Harbors Appropriation Act by building a structure in US water without permission from United States Army Corps of Engineers.

The lawsuit further alleges that the floating barriers “constitute an unauthorized obstruction to the navigable capacity of waters of the United States.”

“We allege that Texas has flouted federal law by installing a barrier in the Rio Grande without obtaining the required federal authorization,” Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta said in a statement. “This floating barrier poses threats to navigation and public safety and presents humanitarian concerns. Additionally, the presence of the floating barrier has prompted diplomatic protests by Mexico and risks damaging US foreign policy.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/24/politics ... r-barriers
raison de arizona

raison de arizona

Florida decimates its educational system, Texas: Hold my beer.
Texas A&M suspended professor accused of criticizing Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick in lecture
The professor, an expert on the opioids crisis, was placed on paid administrative leave and investigated, raising questions about the extent of political interference in higher education, particularly in health-related matters.

Joy Alonzo, a respected opioid expert, was in a panic.

The Texas A&M University professor had just returned home from giving a routine lecture on the opioid crisis at the University of Texas Medical Branch when she learned a student had accused her of disparaging Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick during the talk.

In the few hours it took to drive from Galveston, the complaint had made its way to her supervisors, and Alonzo’s job was suddenly at risk.

“I am in a ton of trouble. Please call me!” she wrote to Chandler Self, the UTMB professor who invited her to speak.

Alonzo was right to be afraid. Not only were her supervisors involved, but so was Chancellor John Sharp, a former state comptroller who now holds the highest-ranking position in the Texas A&M University System, which includes 11 public universities and 153,000 students. And Sharp was communicating directly with the lieutenant governor’s office about the incident, promising swift action.

Less than two hours after the lecture ended, Patrick’s chief of staff had sent Sharp a link to Alonzo’s professional bio.

Shortly after, Sharp sent a text directly to the lieutenant governor: “Joy Alonzo has been placed on administrative leave pending investigation re firing her. shud [sic] be finished by end of week.”

The text message was signed “jsharp.”

For free speech advocates, health experts and students, Texas A&M’s investigation of Alonzo was a shocking demonstration of how quickly university leaders allow politicians to interfere in classroom discussions on topics in which they are not experts — and another example of increasing political involvement from state leaders in how Texas universities are managed.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/07/25 ... n-patrick/
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Bleh.

With all the talk over the decades of schools being all about liberal indoctrination, social engineering, and political correctness, it is not surprising to see conservatives trying to use them exactly that way. It is kinda like how the people who rant about lgbt being pedophiles tend to be (or shield) child abusers... they claim others are doing what they believe is the right thing for them to do because they can not picture others doing differently, only being differnt.
raison de arizona

And they wonder about "students are behind on reading levels, especially in 4th grade." I'm sure closing the library will help with reading levels.
HISD to eliminate librarians, turn libraries into discipline centers at 28 campuses

Houston Independent School District will be eliminating librarian positions at 28 schools this upcoming year and converting the libraries into ‘Team Centers” where kids with behavioral issues will be sent, the district announced.

This comes as part of the new superintendent Mike Miles reform program, New Education System (NES). Currently, there are a total of 85 schools that have joined Miles’ program, and of those, 28 campuses will lose their librarians. The district said they will have the opportunity to transition to other roles within the district.

The remaining 57 NES schools’ librarians will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, according to the district.

Retired HISD Teacher in Charge of Library, Lisa Robinson, believes the library is full of some of the greatest stories ever told.

“It was such a joy to help them find the perfect book,” said Robinson.

She said those stories are now ripped to shreds.

“My heart is just broken for these children that are in the NES schools that are losing their librarians,” said Robinson.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -campuses/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:

I am nearly at a loss for words.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”