Hijack This Thread

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Raid at Fulton jail: Drugs, shanks, phones and more seized, sheriff believes drones are involved

By WSBTV.com News Staff
April 24, 2024 at 5:34 am EDT

FULTON COUNTY, Ga. — The Fulton County Sheriff’s Office confiscated drugs, tobacco, shanks, a makeshift hatchet, and even a bullet during a recent raid of the Fulton County Jail.

Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Mark Winne spoke with the sheriff about the raid and how they believe some of those items got into the hands of inmates.

Other items seized were cell phones, which can sell for thousands of dollars inside the jail.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/fulton ... MG4VP2SIQ/

Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Inquiring minds need to know — why are they "shanks" rather than "shivs"?

Is there a difference, are they the same, is it a regional variant, or am I simply out of date with my criminal cant?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:03 am Inquiring minds need to know — why are they "shanks" rather than "shivs"?

Is there a difference, are they the same, is it a regional variant, or am I simply out of date with my criminal cant?
Google says a makeshift weapon that is made to cut is a shiv. A makeshift weapon that is made to stab is a shank. Think edge.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
roadscholar

Hijack This Thread

Post by roadscholar »

In the rapier days, a "cut" weapon vs. "thrust." :duel:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
qbawl

Hijack This Thread

Post by qbawl »

No stickie! Just scratchy.
Shiv vs. Shank.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Two British men have been charged with helping Russian intelligence services after a suspected arson attack on a Ukraine-linked business in London.

Dylan Earl, 20, from Elmesthorpe in Leicestershire, and Jake Reeves, 22, from Croydon, were investigated following a fire at a warehouse in east London in March.

Three other suspects linked to the fire have been held on other charges.

The investigation is being led by Met Police counter-terror officers.
The rest of the story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68899130.amp
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Wow! Thanks for the jailhouse insight! I won't confuse my shivs and my shanks henceforth.

Not that I plan to acquire either.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Just an FYI - The 2024 White House Correspondents' Dinner is this evening. CSPAN is live streaming it right now.

https://www.c-span.org/white-house-corr ... inner-2024
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

I don’t know if it is everywhere, but around here, they’ve gotten very clever hiding equipment. I’ve double took on more than one tower locally.
IMG_7799.jpeg
IMG_7799.jpeg (74.89 KiB) Viewed 563 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I've seen that kind of thing in California.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

They installed "tree" towers here several years ago to disguise them, but used fir trees, which don't grow here, so they all stuck out like sore thumbs.

The state also spent several hundred thousand dollars to plant flowers in the interstate medians to beautify them. They planted California poppies, which also don't grow here.

We're surrounded by morons.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 pm I've seen that kind of thing in California.
I hope you don't mean you've seen fake saguaros in California. 'Cause real saguaros don't grow there naturally.
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

The story of cellular trees: https://99percentinvisible.org/article/ ... -as-trees/
I remember when they first started showing up in Massachusetts... there would be one lonely tree standing a hundred feet or so above all the other trees.

Looked very natural :doh:
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

‘We are showing the world what people do’: grim relics of Hamas attack go on display in New York
Tents, debris and personal items from the Nova festival, where 364 people died on 7 October, form shocking exhibit on Wall Street

Edward Helmore
Sun 28 Apr 2024 11.00 CEST

While New York was preoccupied with student protests over the US’s ­support of Israel’s war in Gaza last week, another aspect of how the city with the largest Jewish population outside Israel is coming to terms with bloodshed in the Middle East was being prepared.

On Wall Street, a gruelling ­exhibition has opened detailing the horrific attack on the Nova music festival by Hamas terrorists on 7 October, in which 364 people were murdered, many wounded and 44 taken hostage.

It is a walk-through recreation of hours of unimaginable ­brutality by the attackers, containing the tents, bedding and possessions of those at the festival, alongside ­jubilant Hamas videos of the attacks, as well as survivor and rescue worker ­testimony in the aftermath.

The items include handbags, burnt-out cars, missing sneakers, bullet-riddled bathroom stalls, the stage from which DJs played their sets, and some evidence of ritualised sexual violence.

It concludes with a room of ­photographs of the young ­people who were killed, and the ­declaration: “We will dance again.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-new-york
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Three women diagnosed with HIV after getting ‘vampire facials’ in New Mexico
CDC says incidents at unlicensed medical spa are first documented cases of virus transmitted by a cosmetic procedure using needles

Associated Press
Sun 28 Apr 2024 23.15 CEST

Three women who were diagnosed with HIV after getting “vampire facial” procedures at an unlicensed New Mexico medical spa are believed to be the first documented cases of people contracting the virus through a cosmetic procedure using needles, federal health officials said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in its Morbidity and Mortality Report last week that an investigation into the clinic from 2018 through 2023 showed it apparently reused disposable equipment intended for one-time use.

Although HIV transmission from contaminated blood through unsterile injection is a well-known risk, the report said this is the first documentation of probable infections involving cosmetic services.

Many popular cosmetic treatments are delivered with needles, such as Botox to iron out wrinkles and fillers to plump lips. A “vampire facial”, or platelet-rich plasma microneedling procedure, involves drawing a client’s own blood, separating its components, and then using tiny needles to inject plasma into the face to rejuvenate the skin. Tattoos also require needles.

The New Mexico department of health began investigating the spa in the summer of 2018 after it was notified that a woman in her 40s had tested positive for HIV even though she had no known risk factors. The woman reported exposure to needles through the procedure at the clinic that spring.

The spa closed in fall 2018 after the investigation was launched, and its owner was prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... new-mexico
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Wear a dinger!

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Ron Filipkowski@RonFilipkowski
Rittenhouse attempting to grow a mustache. Got his name on his vest and everything.
John Thomas8

Hijack This Thread

Post by John Thomas8 »

raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

60 Minutes @60Minutes wrote: Two high school seniors solved a mathematical puzzle that was thought to be impossible for 2,000 years. @BillWhitakerCBS reports, Sunday. http://60Minutes.com
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Hijack This Thread

Post by Greatgrey »

So have ya noticed how the border crisis went away once the Columbia protests started.

Let’s hear it for the kids, the solved what Ted Cruz & Gregg Abbott couldn’t.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I saw this tweet on Twitter. The signature of the letter caught my eye -

MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

By the way, Mike Dunford doesn't seem to be tweeting anymore, but, by Googling, he does appear to be active here -

https://bsky.app/profile/questauthority.bsky.social

I miss his posts here.

Edited to add, and he posts videos at https://m.twitch.tv/questauthority/home
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

IRS says number of audits about to surge. Here's who it is targeting.

Aimee Picchi
Updated Thu, May 2, 2024 at 10:58 PM GMT+2

The IRS says it is about to ramp up audits as it cracks down on tax cheats and seeks to deliver more revenue into the U.S. Treasury's coffers. But not every group of taxpayers will face more scrutiny, according to IRS commissioner Danny Werfel.

The IRS has been bolstered by $80 billion in new funding directed by the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), which was signed into law in 2022 by President Joe Biden. The idea behind the new funding was to help revive an agency whose ranks have been depleted over the years, leading to customer service snarls, processing delays and a falloff in audit rates.

On Thursday, the IRS outlined its plans for the funding, as well as its efforts so far to burnish the agency's customer service operations after some taxpayers encountered months-long delays during the pandemic. The IRA money has helped the IRS answer more taxpayer calls during the tax season that just ended on April 15, as well as beef up its enforcement, which led to the collection of $520 million from wealthy taxpayers who hadn't filed their taxes or still owed money, it said.

"The changes outlined in this report are a stark contrast to the years of underfunding" that led to a deterioration in the agency's services, Werfel said on a conference call with reporters.

Werfel noted that the IRS' strategic plan over the next three tax years include a sharp increase in audits, although the agency reiterated it won't boost its enforcement for people who earn less than $400,000 annually — which covers the bulk of U.S. taxpayers.

Here's who will face an increase in audits

At the same time, the IRS is increasing its audit efforts, with Werfel noting on Thursday that the agency will focus on wealthy individuals and large corporations:

The IRS plans to triple the audit rates on large corporations with assets of more than $250 million. Audit rates for these companies will rise to 22.6% in tax year 2026 from 8.8% in 2019.Large partnerships with assets of more than $10 million will see their audit rates increase 10-fold, rising to 1% in tax year 2026 from 0.1% in 2019.Wealthy individuals with total positive income of more than $10 million will see their audit rates rise 50% to 16.5% from 11% in 2019.

"There is no new wave of audits coming from middle- and low-income [individuals], coming from mom and pops. That's not in our plans," Werfel said.

But by focusing on big corporations, complicated partnerships and wealthy people who earn over $10 million year, the IRS wants to send a signal, he noted.

"It sets an important tone and message for complex filers, high-wealth filers, that this is our focus area," he said.

The myth of 87,000 armed IRS agents

The agency also outlined its efforts to bolster hiring, thanks to the new IRA money. In the mid-1990s, the IRS employed more than 100,000 people, but its workforce had dwindled to about 73,000 workers in 2019 due to a wave of retirements and prior funding cuts.

Werfel said the agency has recently boosted its workforce to about 90,000 full-time equivalent employees, and that it plans to expand to about 102,500 workers over the next few years.

"That number won't even be a record high for the IRS workforce; it's well below the numbers from the 1980s and early 1990s," Werfel noted.

He added that the hiring data should dissolve what he called "any lingering myths about a supersized IRS." After the IRA passed, some Republican lawmakers warned in 2022 that the agency would use the money to hire "87,000 new IRS agents to audit Walmart shoppers."

"This should put to rest any misconception about us bringing on 87,000 agents," Werfel noted, adding that many of the new hires are replacing retiring employees.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/irs- ... 49190.html
(originaö: CBS News)
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

I found treasure in a box in my closet that belonged to my dad!
► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lol:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”