Post by qbawl »

Ohio? Earlier this month anyway.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This looks like something the lawyers on this site might find interesting -

Orin Kerr
@OrinKerr

Although a lot of caselaw is available online for free from sites like Google Scholar, the
@Harvard_Law @caselawaccess project has posted *all* caselaw from U.S. jurisdictions for free online, including scans of reporters. Check it out here: https://case.law/caselaw/

I know what you're wondering, do they even have Stone v. Boreman, the oldest case on Westlaw, from 1658?

Indeed they do.

Text: https://case.law/caselaw/?reporter=h-mc ... se=0001-01

Scanned reporter, starting at p. 11: https://static.case.law/h-mch/1.pdf
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Fossil fuel firms could be tried in US for homicide over climate-related deaths, experts say
Public Citizen, a non-profit group, proposed the idea last year to prosecute companies for millions of deaths due to climate crisis

Dharna Noor
Thu 21 Mar 2024 12.00 CET

Each year, extreme temperatures take 5 million lives, while 400,000 people die from climate-related hunger and disease and scores perish in floods and wildfires.

Now, researchers are promoting a new legal theory that says fossil fuel companies – which, data show, are the leading contributors to planet-heating pollution – could be tried for homicide for climate-related deaths.

The radical idea, first proposed last year by consumer advocacy non-profit Public Citizen, may sound far-fetched, but it’s gaining interest from experts and public officials.

“We’ve been really excited to see the curiosity, interest and support these ideas have garnered from members of the legal community, including from both former and current federal, state and local prosecutors,” said Aaron Regunberg, senior policy counsel with Public Citizen’s climate program.

The Public Citizen researchers are currently holding events at top law schools including Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, Harvard, University of Chicago and New York University to promote the idea.

“I strongly support the effort to go after these bastards,” Christopher Rabb, a Pennsylvania state representative said at a recent UPenn event. The researchers say other public officials have expressed interest behind the scenes as well.

The proposal, which will soon be published in the Harvard Law Review, stems in part from the growing body of evidence that the fossil fuel industry hid information about the dangers of fossil fuel use from the public. Those revelations have inspired 40 lawsuits alleging big oil has violated tort, product liability and consumer protection laws and engaged in racketeering.

In addition to those civil lawsuits, fossil fuel companies should also face criminal charges, the researchers say.

“Criminal law is how we say what is right and wrong in our society,” said David Arkush, who directs Public Citizen’s climate program and co-authored the paper on the proposal. “I think it’s important that some of the most damaging conduct in human history be squarely recognized and pursued as criminal.”

There are a range of statutes that could criminalize fossil fuel companies’ climate conduct, the researchers say. Many of the civil claims facing oil companies, such as conspiracy and racketeering, have criminal counterparts, and other laws could be used to criminalize conduct that could inflict future harms, such as reckless endangerment. But the claim that could capture the sector’s gravest harms, the researchers say, is homicide.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... hs-lawsuit
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Tennessee Senate passes bill based on 'chemtrails' conspiracy theory
SB 2691/HB 2063, sponsored by Rep. Monty Fritts, R-Kingston, and Sen. Steve Southerland, R-Morristown, passed in the Senate on Monday. The bill has yet to advance in the House.

The bill claims it is "documented the federal government or other entities acting on the federal government's behalf or at the federal government's request may conduct geoengineering experiments by intentionally dispersing chemicals into the atmosphere, and those activities may occur within the State of Tennessee," according to the bill.

The legislation would ban the practice in Tennessee.

"The intentional injection, release, or dispersion, by any means, of chemicals, chemical compounds, substances, or apparatus within the borders of this state into the atmosphere with the express purpose of affecting temperature, weather, or the intensity of the sunlight is prohibited," the bill reads.

The bill is scheduled to go to the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee on Wednesday.

:snippity:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/l ... 027586007/

The rest of the article goes into chemtrails, contrails and geoengineering and that fact that none of this is based in reality.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall: the state of the Scopes Monkey Trial :violin:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Sone fresh rooster covfefe for the Fogmeister.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

:fivestar:

Like the loaves and fishes. Never uses all the covfefe.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

It is a mirakul.

Pour a man a cuppa, and his thirst is quenched for a day. Teach a man to fly to Brazil to directly purchase responsibly grown covfefe beans, export them to the states, have Customs scour every bushel for drugs and other illicit material, have them drop shipped to his driveway where he spends days on end roasting and grinding them himself only to have the city investigate him for operating a business in a residence without a license, will force him to appreciate a good covfefe shoppe. Locally owned of course.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Somebody needs to check the water supply or air ducts in the Tenn state house cuz some crazy molecules are getting in there.

And my state just outlawed DEI programs in state funded schools (it made a white guy feel uncomfortable). It includes a bathroom component (must use rr designated for your gender at birth. i guess you have to carry your birth certificate with you to public bathrooms).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:24 pm it made a white guy feel uncomfortable
Some clergy I know are fond of the statement "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
GJT3-UJWEAANNNn.jpeg
GJT3-UJWEAANNNn.jpeg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 356 times

for context: https://www.marketwatch.com/livecoverag ... quote_news
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Have some been speculating that the merger will fall thru and need to adjust their position in the stock?
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:28 pm Have some been speculating that the merger will fall thru and need to adjust their position in the stock?
DWAC TANKED. investors lost money. Trump will not see $3.5B.
It opened at $40.19US closed 36.94. Down 13.71%
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

Happy Birthday to Captain James Tiberius Kirk. He will be born on this date in Iowa, in the year 2228.

I'd send him a card, but, by 2228, the postage will probably be more than I can afford.

Some fan figured this out from hints given in the shows and movies. Don't ask me how.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:24 pm Somebody needs to check the water supply or air ducts in the Tenn state house cuz some crazy molecules are getting in there.

And my state just outlawed DEI programs in state funded schools (it made a white guy feel uncomfortable). It includes a bathroom component (must use rr designated for your gender at birth. i guess you have to carry your birth certificate with you to public bathrooms).
Speaking of making white guys uncomfortable, it makes me uncomfortable when states outlaw DEI! Can I get a recount?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
qbawl

Hijack This Thread

Post by qbawl »

noblepa wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:33 pm Happy Birthday to Captain James Tiberius Kirk. He will be born on this date in Iowa, in the year 2228.

I'd send him a card, but, by 2228, the postage will probably be more than I can afford.

Some fan figured this out from hints given in the shows and movies. Don't ask me how.
Well if you buy FOREVER stamps you should have it covered.
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

noblepa wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:33 pm Happy Birthday to Captain James Tiberius Kirk. He will be born on this date in Iowa, in the year 2228.

I donned my blue Star Trek socks today. Coincidence? I think not!

Happy Birthday, James T!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

"The intentional injection, release, or dispersion, by any means, of chemicals, chemical compounds, substances, or apparatus within the borders of this state into the atmosphere with the express purpose of affecting temperature, weather, or the intensity of the sunlight is prohibited," the bill reads.
1) This bill expressly forbids an orchardist from burning smudge pots in his orchard to avoid frost damage.

2) This bill expressly forbids a farmer to run sprinklers on their crops because this affects temperature and humidity.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Happy... Birth...day... To you... James.. t.....Kirk!!!
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

keith wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:25 pm
1) This bill expressly forbids an orchardist from burning smudge pots in his orchard to avoid frost damage.

2) This bill expressly forbids a farmer to run sprinklers on their crops because this affects temperature and humidity.
re-reading this - I suppose that sunshades are now forbidden, as are garden greenhouses ... :violin:
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

The key phrase is "for the express purpose".

The orchard smudge pots might qualify. That's a matter of interpretation and enforcement. An exception could be carved out.

It would not apply to watering crops since the express purpose is farming. Sunglasses would be excused as well since their effects are localized to the eyes, and not the larger atmosphere.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:23 am Happy... Birth...day... To you... James.. t.....Kirk!!!
I see what you did there... :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “General Stuff”